Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 Full story: news.yahoo.com 16,105

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12274 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Without the valid hope of the resurrection, there is only hopelessness left.
"If the dead are not raised,'Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."
That pretty much sums up the only reasonable perspective on life possible on the part of those who believe not in "the resurrection and the life."
"But now Christ has been raised from the dead; the first fruits of those who are asleep."
This is our hope and assurance.
The unbeliever has nothing to compare!
"Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?
During war, many soldiers have thrown themselves on grenades to protect their fellows.

Which of them is making the greater sacrifice: those that expect an afterlife, or those that expect none?

Location hidden

#12275 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Open your eyes....
By God's direct involvement, all kinds of plants and animals were created from the very beginning.
God did not personally make just one or a few simple kinds and then just allow natural processes to take over and gradually produce the other kinds.
Rather, He personally spoke into existence all the different kinds.
God rested from creation only <<<<<after >>>>> He had created all the kinds of living things.
WAKE UP!!!
Nope.

The Father commanded the Earth to bring forth ...

It did. It still does. Rampantly and without judgement.

The Father "prunes" the vine of life.

It's a good mechanism which fills every available niche for life forms, in every possible variety and variation ...

including gay people.

Location hidden

#12276 Apr 4, 2013
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought I'd made it clear.
I didn't SAY there's no resurrection. I SAID, resurrection doesn't involve DEAD BODIES RISING.
I SAID, when we die, we DO NOT cease to exist.
Perhaps if you reread my comment, you'll realize you're refuting, not what I said, but what you feared I meant.
"exist" is problematic.

Can God create something which He cannot destroy utterly?
Thinking

Staines, UK

#12277 Apr 4, 2013
Of course he can. Just after he gets done creating that object that is so heavy not even he can move it.
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
"exist" is problematic.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#12278 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution weakens faith in God, undermines the arguments for God's existence, and is a fundamental tenet of all unbelievers.
Concerning cosmological evolution, the Church has infallibly defined that the universe was specially created out of nothing. Vatican I solemnly defined that everyone must "confess the world and all things which are contained in it, both spiritual and material, as regards their whole substance, have been produced by God from nothing" (Canons on God the Creator of All Things, canon 5).

The Church does not have an official position on whether the stars, nebulae, and planets we see today were created at that time or whether they developed over time (for example, in the aftermath of the Big Bang that modern cosmologists discuss). However, the Church would maintain that, if the stars and planets did develop over time, this still ultimately must be attributed to God and his plan, for Scripture records: "By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all their host [stars, nebulae, planets] by the breath of his mouth" (Ps. 33:6).

Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.

Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions ... take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36). So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-e...

As Pope John Paul said:
"Truth cannot contradict Truth".

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#12279 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Open your eyes....
By God's direct involvement, all kinds of plants and animals were created from the very beginning.
God did not personally make just one or a few simple kinds and then just allow natural processes to take over and gradually produce the other kinds.
God rested from creation only <<<<<after >>>>> He had created all the kinds of living things.
WAKE UP!!!
The Bible doesn't teach us how God made/created heaven but how to GET to heaven.
Genesis is based on Sumerian-Babylonian myth.
The important thing to get out of Genesis is that God created.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12280 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder that, when people come to believe in evolution, they often lose their faith in God.
They have denied a doctrine found multitudes of times throughout the Bible, they have accepted a major tenet of unbelief, and they have denied an obvious proof of God's existence.
There is no proof of god's existence. There are mountains of proof for evolution. Are you going to deny the existence of fossils?

And another thing, just because something is in the Buybull doesn't make it true. Talking serpents and magical fruit? Give me a break! The sun stopped in the sky for about a day???? riiiiiiiiiight.....
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12281 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Open your eyes....
WAKE UP!!!
Oh puh-leez. You cannot prove a word of that. It's folklore. It's campfire stories told by Bronze Age goat herders.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12283 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
This world is a place of failed dreams and efforts, but our God is the God of "living hope."
This world is a place of disappointment galore, but the Bible's promise is that God gives the Christian a hope that does not disappoint.
Romans 5:5
5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
Let me know when you can get back to us AFTER you experience heaven. You have NO WAY to verify it. It is merely wishful thinking.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#12286 Apr 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's right next to the evidence for evolution is true.
Evolution is verifiable and observable. Ever heard of mutation and natural selection? These are both observable and quantifiable.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12287 Apr 4, 2013
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought I'd made it clear.
I didn't SAY there's no resurrection. I SAID, resurrection doesn't involve DEAD BODIES RISING.
I SAID, when we die, we DO NOT cease to exist.
Perhaps if you reread my comment, you'll realize you're refuting, not what I said, but what you feared I meant.
Do you know who the Apostle Thomas was (aka doubting Thomas?)

John 20:24-29

24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus[a]), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came.

25 So the other disciples told him, <“We have seen the Lord!”>

But he (doubting Thomas) said to them, <<<“Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will NOT believe.”>>>

26 ~~~A week later~~~ his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were LOCKED, Jesus CAME and STOOD among them and said,“Peace be with you!”

27 Then he (Jesus) said to Thomas, <<<<<“PUT your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and PUT it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”>>>>>

28 Thomas said to him, <<<<<“My Lord and my God!”>>>>>

29 Then Jesus told him,“Because you HAVE seen me, you have believed; *****blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”*****

***This is Christians today, "blessed are those who HAVE NOT SEEN and YET HAVE BELIEVED."

"So also is the resurrection of the dead.

It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body."

Jesus did not openly rebuke doubting Thomas for wanting to see the proof.

God is not going write out "I EXIST" in big letters across the sky to satisfy our skepticism.

He has provided ample testimony to His existence.

Faith does not exist in a vacuum.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#12288 Apr 4, 2013
In order to prove that the theory of evolution is false, one must prove that mutation and natural selection are untrue.

Good luck with that Jeff.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12289 Apr 4, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
During war, many soldiers have thrown themselves on grenades to protect their fellows.
Which of them is making the greater sacrifice: those that expect an afterlife, or those that expect none?
Both ARE great sacrifices.....

John 15:13

13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12290 Apr 4, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
The Father commanded the Earth to bring forth ...
It did. It still does. Rampantly and without judgement.
The Father "prunes" the vine of life.
It's a good mechanism which fills every available niche for life forms, in every possible variety and variation ...
including gay people.
God personally and directly commanded and caused each step in creation.

He spoke and it occurred.

Psalm 33:6-9

6 By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
their starry host by the breath of his mouth.

7 He gathers the waters of the sea into jars;
he puts the deep into storehouses.

8 Let all the earth fear the Lord;
let all the people of the world revere him.

9 For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded, and it stood firm.

He was directly involved throughout, then rested only <after> all was created!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12291 Apr 4, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
"exist" is problematic.
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#12292 Apr 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's right next to the evidence for evolution is true.
Silly, ignorant child, the evidence that supports evolution fills hundreds of books. All you need to do to start learning about this evidence is wait until you get to high school and take a biology course. If you have already dropped out of school, perhaps you can take biology at a local community college. This will give you enough of a basis to understand most of the biological evidence supporting evolution.

Of course, there is information from MANY sciences that all dovetails together that also supports the fact of evolution. Physics, geology, chemistry, astronomy, etc, all provide corroborating evidence.

And always remember that there is NO valid scientific evidence that contradicts evolution.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12293 Apr 4, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible doesn't teach us how God made/created heaven but how to GET to heaven.
Genesis is based on Sumerian-Babylonian myth.
The important thing to get out of Genesis is that God created.
David, John, and Peter confirm what Moses said in Gen. 1.

They do not take the accounts as legend or symbols.

They do not picture God as starting the basic process and then just letting it run.

Rather, they show God's personal involvement in each step and each thing created.

To reject this is to deny the whole Scriptures.

#12294 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Without the valid hope of the resurrection, there is only hopelessness left.
"If the dead are not raised,'Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."
That pretty much sums up the only reasonable perspective on life possible on the part of those who believe not in "the resurrection and the life."
"But now Christ has been raised from the dead; the first fruits of those who are asleep."
This is our hope and assurance.
The unbeliever has nothing to compare!
"Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?
Utter nonsense. Even if I was an atheist, I would still work to improve this world, so as to hand over to my son a better place for him to raise his children. Knowing that the human mind is capable of phenomenal acts of creation and beauty is more than enough to inspire hope for any rational person.

Beyond that, there are thousands of OTHER faiths in this world that have NOTHING to do with your false god, and they ALL provide avenues for hope beyond this mortal realm.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#12295 Apr 4, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no proof of god's existence. There are mountains of proof for evolution. Are you going to deny the existence of fossils?
And another thing, just because something is in the Buybull doesn't make it true. Talking serpents and magical fruit? Give me a break! The sun stopped in the sky for about a day???? riiiiiiiiiight.....
Acts 17:24-29

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands.

25 <<<<<And He is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.>>>>>

26 From one man He made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.

27 ~~~~~God did this so that they would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from any one of us.~~~~~

28 ‘For in Him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, <‘We are his offspring.’>

29 ***“Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill.***

God is the giver of life, breath, and all things.

#12296 Apr 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
David, John, and Peter confirm what Moses said in Gen. 1.
They do not take the accounts as legend or symbols.
They do not picture God as starting the basic process and then just letting it run.
Rather, they show God's personal involvement in each step and each thing created.
To reject this is to deny the whole Scriptures.
And they all lived and died many centuries before scientific exploration gave us the actual mechanism by which life reached its current state.

To reject the creation myths in Genesis is to accept reality as an adult should be capable of doing...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 19 min the last word 31,273
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 43 min Profess-sewer Brooks 49,843
It Takes 7 Police Agencies to Break Up Wedding ... 1 hr MAYOR DYSASTER 9
Gazans rush to enjoy life after ruinous war 1 hr Garry Ackerman 22
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr The_Box 25,024
Start Chatting And Dating Beautiful Ukrainian W... 17 hr Lukashenko is Dr ... 4
Pakistan flood sinks boat carrying wedding party 19 hr NITiN 3
•••

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••