Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16097 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#10952 Mar 22, 2013
Apollo11911 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, then we can assume that the people who constructed, wrote and compiled the OT where in fact English.
One can only think that Jesus and his band of 12 men were British. All this time I was under the assumption that they would have been of Middle Eastern descent. The most educated of the times would have spoken in Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek and Latin. They would have been men of importance, Governor, King Rabi's etc. The common people would have spoken Aramaic, and not had the ability to read and wright.
Our English Bibles were translated from Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. They weren't "constructed". They all condemn gays to eternity in Hell fire. What are your credentials?

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#10954 Mar 22, 2013
Apollo11911 wrote:
<quoted text>Why is that of importance?
Because you're attacking the Bible because it condemns you to eternal Hell fire.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#10955 Mar 22, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
God's will, Tony, NOT ours....
What you are really saying is:
I will do exactly what God wants as long as it is also what I want.
Romans 12:1
12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of Godís mercy,*****to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to Godóthis is your true and proper worship.*****
Now, Tony, go to the next verse:
Romans 12:2
2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.[[[[[Then you will be able to test and approve what Godís will isóhis good, pleasing and perfect will.]]]]]
If our way of discerning Godís will is what pleases me, what is most financial for me, what makes me happy, <<<<<then our testing is way off base.>>>>>
I am to discern Godís will by testing MY DESIRE against His word.
Then, with knowledge of His word, I will know His will.
Search way down in your heart, Tony.....
Remembering that God should be LIVING IN YOU.....
In your lifestyle that you are leading now, is it really pleasing to God???
Can you offer your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God???
You seem to have reading comprehension issues.

What part of "I did not want to be gay" do you not understand?

You read that and then you respond with this: "I will do exactly what God wants as long as it is also what I want."

Um, no, that's exactly the opposite. What I wanted (at that time) was to be straight. God did not and will not make that happen. Therefore, that is NOT what God wanted. He had 12 years to do it. I begged Him to do it. He didn't do it. That means it will never happen.

And yes, I am right with God, and yes, although I am not as presumptuous as you, I feel He is happy with my life, and yes, I am ready to die with no regrets.

Your perspective is so skewed, you're not even hearing me.

You are the one in peril here, not me.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#10956 Mar 22, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible comes from God and is His Word.
It is the only source of truth to show you what is going on, where you are, and where you are headed if something doesnít change.
In other words, God's word is sufficient to save your SOUL (spiritually).
Unfortunately, it is not the intact, completely accurate Word of God. That is beyond dispute.

So you have to factor that in when you are reading it, just as if you were reading a book that was translated from Spanish to English today. It will never mean exactly the same thing in English as it does in Spanish. No language translates perfectly into another, let alone ancient languages.

There is no debate here. This is correct. If God is important to you, then you should learn that.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#10957 Mar 22, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is the beginning of your knowledge and understanding of your relationship between you and God....
I think I said the same thing. Starting point = beginning.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#10958 Mar 22, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I really appreciate your testimony, Tony....
I am truly sorry about the trials you've had to overcome....
I will not keep on you about this.....I do want to leave you with a couple of things to consider.....
God has a moral will....
With certain moral decisions, you do not have to look any further than the Word of God to determine the Will of God.
It is never Godís will that you sin.
It is never Godís will that you lie, steal, hurt another person, etc.
Remain in the moral will of God other answers will be more clear...
"Delight yourselves in the Lord and he will give you the desires of the heart."
Please don't get in backwards...
"give me the desires of my heart and I will delight in you."
May God grant you the true knowledge of His word.
We are almost speaking the same language except I know from real life experience that being gay is not a sin.

I agree it is never God's will that you sin, lie, steal, hurt another person, etc.

And I don't do those things.

However, it is God's will that I am gay, and that I married my spouse. Ergo, that is not sin.

I am absolutely content in my life and in my faith. I am not waiting for anything else to happen. The rest of my life is "gravy." When it's time to go, I've already gotten to where I need to be.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#10959 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
Anitchristian, antifundie, same thing.
Are you gay? Listen up.
"will not inherit the Kingdom of God" "nor homosexuals"
1 Corinthians 6:9 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
You do realize that you have offered up a "translation" which has been deliberately rewritten to say something which isn't in the earliest known copies of the work? Paul makes no absolutely mention of "sodomites" (a concept not coined until the Middle Ages) nor "homosexuals" (a 19th Century concept). According to those earliest known copies, he does not even use words which would have been recognized by its readers as meaning same sex sexual acts nor those who engage in them.

While you have both the freedom and the right to choose to believe in this deliberately mistranslated version of the Word O God, please realize that you are only praying that you are right.

this one

#10960 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
Because you're attacking the Bible because it condemns you to eternal Hell fire.
Um Bill, it might help you out to realize that there is a difference between attacking your choice of belief that the Bible condemns us to "eternal Hell fire" and attacking the Bible itself. They aren't one and the same thing, in spite of your certitude to the contrary. Personally, I think that there is a lot that everyone, non-Christians and outright atheists included can learn from it. Too bad you haven't.

“The Final Sacrifice”

Since: Feb 13

Be Blessed

#10961 Mar 22, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Um Bill, it might help you out to realize that there is a difference between attacking your choice of belief that the Bible condemns us to "eternal Hell fire" and attacking the Bible itself. They aren't one and the same thing, in spite of your certitude to the contrary. Personally, I think that there is a lot that everyone, non-Christians and outright atheists included can learn from it. Too bad you haven't.
Well stated!!

>^o^<
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10963 Mar 22, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>You do realize that you have offered up a "translation" which has been deliberately rewritten to say something which isn't in the earliest known copies of the work? Paul makes no absolutely mention of "sodomites" (a concept not coined until the Middle Ages) nor "homosexuals" (a 19th Century concept). According to those earliest known copies, he does not even use words which would have been recognized by its readers as meaning same sex sexual acts nor those who engage in them.
While you have both the freedom and the right to choose to believe in this deliberately mistranslated version of the Word O God, please realize that you are only praying that you are right.
So we are to believe by you that homosexuality i.e. same sex sexual relations is not mentioned in Scripture? Are we to believe that Jesus and Paul never heard or understood what homosexuality is?

this one

#10965 Mar 22, 2013
Jeff wrote:
So we are to believe by you that homosexuality i.e. same sex sexual relations is not mentioned in Scripture? Are we to believe that Jesus and Paul never heard or understood what homosexuality is?
I never said that same sex sexual acts aren't mentioned in scripture dear, merely pointed out that their mention in the verse quoted was a modern invention. Of course they knew about same sex sexual acts and they were written about in scripture, just not in Paul's epistle to the Corinthians. Whether or not they understood people actually being homosexual really isn't known, but they did recognize the existence of homosexual love and wrote about it in their own clumsy way.

If folk really want to pray that God has no room for the homosexual and to choose to believe that the Bible actually backs them up on that prayer, that is between them and God. Why they keep on insisting that we watch them pray for this is, well....
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#10966 Mar 22, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>I never said that same sex sexual acts aren't mentioned in scripture dear, merely pointed out that their mention in the verse quoted was a modern invention. Of course they knew about same sex sexual acts and they were written about in scripture, just not in Paul's epistle to the Corinthians. Whether or not they understood people actually being homosexual really isn't known, but they did recognize the existence of homosexual love and wrote about it in their own clumsy way.
If folk really want to pray that God has no room for the homosexual and to choose to believe that the Bible actually backs them up on that prayer, that is between them and God. Why they keep on insisting that we watch them pray for this is, well....
Its not that God has no room for the homosexual but that God wants all men to repent of their sins whatever they may be. All of us must acknowledge our sin and not redefine sin to mean something good.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#10967 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't say that if you weren't Biblically illiterate. Did I tell you God and Paul called you "ignorant"?
"the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord."
1 Corinthians 14:37-38 (NKJV)
37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.
WTF does Biblically literate mean? Does it mean agreement with your opinion? Sorry, that simply doesn't fly. I most likely know a great deal more about the Bible than you do my friend. Quoting passages the way you do proves you know nothing about the Bible.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#10968 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Our English Bibles were translated from Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. They weren't "constructed". They all condemn gays to eternity in Hell fire. What are your credentials?
FAIL.

The real KJV was a translation of the Latin Vulgate which proves you don't actually know what you are talking about. The Revised KJV is mostly a plagiarized SRV 1952. Prejudice sells Bible to fools.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#10969 Mar 22, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we to believe that God makes a man a cripple and then sends him to hell for not walking?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#10970 Mar 22, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not that God has no room for the homosexual but that God wants all men to repent of their sins whatever they may be. All of us must acknowledge our sin and not redefine sin to mean something good.
For a gay man, having sex with a woman is not "something good." It is wrong and immoral.

Get it right.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#10971 Mar 22, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Since neither he nor you are expert in Greek it's irrelevant. Every English bible condemns gays to the 'eternal fire'.
seriously??? read what you wrote. read it again.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#10972 Mar 22, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
2 Thessalonians 2:14
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
very telling why you chose to ignore the other scriptures on God's call.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#10973 Mar 22, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, it is not the intact, completely accurate Word of God. That is beyond dispute.
So you have to factor that in when you are reading it, just as if you were reading a book that was translated from Spanish to English today. It will never mean exactly the same thing in English as it does in Spanish. No language translates perfectly into another, let alone ancient languages.
There is no debate here. This is correct. If God is important to you, then you should learn that.
From studying I learned "the Bible is sufficient truth not exhaustive truth". There is more to God than is contained in the written word.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#10975 Mar 22, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If " Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" then you are going to have to reject evolution, the big bang and black holes to name a few things that have no "extraordinary evidence".
Any reasonably decent community college will have the courses that you need to see all of the "extraordinary" evidence that underlies all of the things that you mentioned. Do remember that your ignorance of a topic does not mean that the topic is not understood by others. Also, note that "ignorance" is NOT the same as "stupidity". Ignorance is the state into which we are all born, and can be cured merely through education. Stupidity is willfully chosen and desperately held in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

AS far as evolution goes, there has never been ANY evidence contrary to it. The Big Bang is amply supported by the mathematics and physics, but there are competing theories that are not as well supported by the current evidence. Black holes also have strong support from our current understanding of the laws of physics.

I would suggest that you read "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawkin. It is a very good book with explanations that can be understood with a high school level understanding of science and math.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr RiccardoFire 19,259
News I Hate to Break This to You, Judge Moore, but G... (Mar '15) 14 hr geezer files 3
News Spokesman: George HW Bush hospitalized with blo... Tue Father and Son 1
News It's Time For Israel To Recognize That Diaspora... Apr 21 yidfellas v USA 1
News Westboro Baptist Church heading to West for fir... (Apr '13) Apr 20 vaginal odor 41
News Space ship found in ice, Hillary's boozing, and... (Jun '17) Apr 20 Anonymous 23
News Miss America 2005 marries same-sex partner in A... Apr 19 Wondering 3