Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 | Posted by: SongBookz | Full story: news.yahoo.com

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Comments (Page 474)

Showing posts 9,461 - 9,480 of16,111
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You wrote:
So did Jesus have anything to say about whether belief in him is sufficient for winning salvation?
Belief/Faith is necessary and a command....
But, is that all there is to being saved???
What are we being saved from???
What are the other COMMANDS of Jesus in the New Testament???
BTW, I am not speaking of the 10 commandments.....
'Truth':

I need no religious instruction from you.

Have a nice life.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
We are the creation of God.....
Homosexuality takes what God created as natural and turning it in to unnatural.......
Jesus never shifted His focus from His message of Godís good news that people could be forgiven of their sins and eternally right with Him.
Jesus never said anything about homosexuality or same-sex marriage.
Thinking

Leeds, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Your made me think of this: http://www.smellyourmum.com/images/jesusdied....
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did Jesus come to this earth???
To seek and save the LOST.....
Lost in sin....held to the bondage of sin....
Just as Jesus came to seek and save the lost...
We are not seeking the saved.
We are seeking the lost.
Didn't Jesus die for us while we were still sinners???
If Jesus would die for us while we were still sinners, the least we can do is carry the gospel message to others while they are still sinners.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

The 'Shwa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said He spoke English, DUH!
I never claimed you said He did, DUH! If you have ANY intellectual honesty about you whatsoever, then just answer the question.
What language(s) did Jesus speak?

You have been idiotically insisting that your ENGLISH Bible says I'm wrong, yet not one, single person who wrote the original texts wrote or spoke English. Hell, it didn't even exist as a language yet.
The word "homosexual" didn't even become part of the English lexicon until the late 1700s-early 1800s.

I guess it's time to put on my teacher's hat, AGAIN!

The Greek word arsenokitei (arseno-KEE-tay)(the form used in 1 Timothy is arsenokiteis [arseno-KEE-tays]), is formed by combining the noun arsin, which means male, with the construction kit-, a derivative of the verb kimei, which means lie down. Combined, the word refers to people who lie down with males. What remains to be determined is whether the word is referring to males lying with males, or females lying with males. Ordinarily, to determine if a Greek noun is masculine or feminine, one looks at it in the nominative case with the definite article. For example, o adhelfos, the brother, is in the nominative case, and both the os ending and the definite article o tell us the noun is masculine. But the word used in these two verses presents a small challenge to us, because in ancient literature, it never appears with a definite article.(In fact, outside these two passages, it never appears at all!)
The last two letters of the word in 1 Corinthians, and the last three in 1 Timothy, are where we need to look first. Greek nouns are declined according to case. That is, the ending of a noun changes to indicate how the word is being used in the sentence. We have something similar in English pronouns: We use the word I as a subject, but me as an object. For all intents and purposes, I and me mean the same thing. But it is incorrect to say Me want a book, or Give I a book. In 1 Corinthians, the word is in the nominative case, and the ending is clearly a feminine ending. This would suggest that the word is referring to women lying with males. In 1 Timothy, the word is in the dative case, which in English corresponds to putting the word to before the noun.(Example: Give the book TO ME.) And again, the ending is feminine. Even without the definite article to prove the point, the evidence so far suggests that Paul was speaking about women when he used this word, not men.
There are two other pieces of evidence to weigh. First, when properly translated, Scripture contains no prior condemnation of homosexuality, and the Hebrew Old Testament contains the record of two same-sex marriages, neither condemned by God. Paul, as a Jewish scholar, could not have been ignorant of this. So for him to suddenly, and without precedent, introduce a condemnation of homosexuality, without a word of explanation, would make absolutely no sense, and would have created an uproar in the early churches. Church history documents that same-sex marriages existed, and continued, in the Christian church up until around the 13th or 14th century.

Education > dogma

“"God is Good"”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>'Truth':
I need no religious instruction from you.
Have a nice life.
You do but you are to rebellious to take any good advice........from anyone with the exception of Sinning Seen.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Laci Ann 7 wrote:
<quoted text>You do but you are to rebellious to take any good advice........from anyone with the exception of Sinning Seen.
Seen and I never discuss faith/religion, or haven't you noticed?
Your post here greatly exposes you as being the sinner.

Stop playing God.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Laci Ann 7 wrote:
<quoted text>You do but you are to rebellious to take any good advice........from anyone with the exception of Sinning Seen.
Do you believe that Jesus was a practicing Jew?
He surely quoted from the Torah many times.

And, when you answer, remember the words of Jesus here:

Matthew 5:17

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Do you believe that Jesus, during His lifetime, observed the Law?

Since: Sep 10

Yunited States, North America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Seen and I never discuss faith/religion, or haven't you noticed?
Your post here greatly exposes you as being the sinner.
Stop playing God.
I have noticed and pointed it out Nettie however I expect no less from you considering you are as agnostic as I am.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe that Jesus was a practicing Jew?
He surely quoted from the Torah many times.
And, when you answer, remember the words of Jesus here:
Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
Do you believe that Jesus, during His lifetime, observed the Law?
No I don't believe jesus followed the law because he was crucified.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text> Stop playing God.
Stop pretending to be a Christian.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
That, like all Saulian heresy, is in direct contradiction of the recorded words of Yeshua.
More Satanic lies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times has that approach brought someone to Christ?
Someone can only be saved when he realizes he/she is depraved.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Word of Paul."
Dismissed.
NEXT
Should we believe you or Paul? I'll stick with what God said.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Whisgean Zoda wrote:
You have been idiotically insisting that your ENGLISH Bible says I'm wrong, yet not one, single person who wrote the original texts wrote or spoke English.
Totally irrelevant. If you are a Greek , Aramaic and Hebrew expert then tell us of your credentials. If you know what language Jesus spoke fill us in.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
When a person gets saved they become a NEW CREATURE IN CHRIST! If a person never became a NEW CREATURE, then they probably were never truly saved. Salvation isn't just repeating a prayer someone told you to say, it's a powerful life changing experience. You know the exact moment you got saved.
Why do think Bible Believing Christians always say: I know that I know that I know that I know that I'm saved?
Funny thing, that...

Koran believing Muslims say that too.
Sutra believing Buddhists say it as well.
Hindus, Shintoists, Pagans, and... well pretty much about EVERY faith has people who say that they KNOW that they have the "One True Path"(tm) and everyone else therefore MUST be wrong. Gee, they all sound just like you.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>Prohibition? Now, that requires a irect act to prevent something that was at once legally recognized.
First, it IS legally recognized in various states in the country, as well as many other countries. Second, prohibition needn't be against something that was previously allowed under the law. Anything that is against the law is prohibited. It's merely a formal forbiddance. Murder? Prohibited. Unless your argument is that murder was once a legal act, you must admit the error of your fundamental premise.
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
So, firs you identify a single legally valid justification for same sex marriage, which would not be inclusive of same sex polygamy, same sex incest, same sex pedophilia, and adult incest between a daughter age 45 and dad age 65. While you are at it, give us a legally justifiable reason for same sex marriage, without logically excluded same sex pet bestiality and parental incest with child.
Before, you say consent, do you mean legal consent, because that requires a legal definition and application of the law based on social construct.
I do believe that you were not really seeking an answer.
As for the rest of this post, as it's based upon a faulty premise, the arguments that are built from it are equally faulty, and thus unworthy of discussion.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Three Little Bears? Now that would be doing something more would it not? Three Little Bears is far more entertaining than six Bible passages.
Think so? Try having a naked gal rest her head on you stomach while reading Song of Solomon...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you quote from the Kindergarten Bible?
Does it have pop ups?
Were the giraffes on the top deck or bottom on the ark? Which one was the poop deck?
By the beginning of the second day, they were ALL the poop deck.
:)

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
We are the creation of God.....
Homosexuality takes what God created as natural and turning it in to unnatural.......
Jesus never shifted His focus from His message of Godís good news that people could be forgiven of their sins and eternally right with Him.
Is genocide worse than homosexuality? Well, of course not. Your God condones and commands genocides.

Is slavery worse than homosexuality? Well, of course not. Your God condones and commands slavery.

Is human sacrifice worse than homosexuality? Well, of course not. Your God condones and accepts human sacrifice in exchange for favors.

Is infanticide worse than homosexuality? Well, of course not. Your God condones and commands infanticide.

Is murder worse than homosexuality? Well, of course not. Your God condones and commands murder.

Is rape worse than homosexuality? Well, of course not. Your God punishes rapists by letting them purchase their victims and marry them.

Hm...that whole "ultimate moral authority" thing doesn't seem to hold water.

How's that legally valid justification for prohibiting same-sex marriage coming along?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus had to die for our sins was out of obedience to God the Father.
Jesus prayed there (Garden of Gethsemane) for God to let this cup pass through him, yet not his will, but <Godís be done.>
It was Godís will that Jesus die.
No, it was the will of the Romans, who got rather upset with anyone that they thought might be inciting the crowds into unrest. Especially around the time of the Feast of Passover.

Fun fact for the day: observation of the Feast of Passover is a COMMANDMENT to be observed FOR EVER...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 9,461 - 9,480 of16,111
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••