Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 | Posted by: SongBookz | Full story: news.yahoo.com

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Comments
7,541 - 7,560 of 16,105 Comments Last updated Aug 28, 2013

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

dollarsbill wrote:
Romans 1:26-27 (NKJV)
26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
Sweetie, I have already taught you the meaning and context of this biblical snippet you keep regurgitating as being somehow relevant twice now. It is not my fault that you not only don't get it, but don't want to, that would be yours. This time around I'm only going to point out that by repeating the same verses that you so painfully clearly do not understand and don't want to, because the facts get in the way of your assumed anti-gay God, only brings to mind this verse from the same epistle, "Professing to be wise, they became fools,".

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually the only person who loses is the one who continues to think others care about their beliefs and we don't!!!
You can believe any bible you want, but your beliefs end....WHERE mine begin!!!!
I agree with you, Hon, and the theme of that which is inconceivable and trandscending physical existence assuming the aspects of the finite in which to reveal the infinite is an idea that is almost as old as human history. The narrative of the rescue has been recited in many times in many cultures, and the story of Jesus is simply one more couching of the story in imagery that a particular cuture could relate to. The fact that this story has been embellished with the trappings of the self-serving and the message side-tracked in the efforts of power and control is not new either. The mere fact of the reality of the transcendent is to showcase not only the arbirariness of custom and ritual but the fundamental importance not of the mere factors of your living but the the opportunities for discovering the truth and the advancement that every life offers. I am a lesbian, I was born at a time in history where I have experienced both persecution and freedom-what do I do with that? What kind of person do I become? How do I choose to relate and perceive myself in the great pantheon of life? Those are the questions we should be asking ourselves. Establishing some aritrary rules both as a means test to our goodness but our motivation for it is a cheap substitute for actual virtue. In then end the fact I'm a lesbian won't count for anything, being merely the particular vehicle of my learning; what will matter is what kind of humanitarian I have been, especially when to be a humantiarian brings me to the choice of defying those very aritrary rules that supposedly reveal my virtue. Even Jesus demonstrated it was more of an expression of the divine to be compassionate rather than compliant, and broke with the convention that common belief dictated was the great revealer of rightiousness. many times that's our choice also.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
It's irrelevant whether you care or not.
Exactly.......lol!!!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Sweetie, I have already taught you the meaning and context of this biblical snippet you keep regurgitating as being somehow relevant twice now. It is not my fault that you not only don't get it, but don't want to, that would be yours. This time around I'm only going to point out that by repeating the same verses that you so painfully clearly do not understand and don't want to, because the facts get in the way of your assumed anti-gay God, only brings to mind this verse from the same epistle, "Professing to be wise, they became fools,".
Did you cut Romans 1 out of your Bible? Here is what you are defending from different English Bibles:

Romans 1

"God gave them up" "vile passions" "shameful desires" "evil things" "men with men" "indecent acts"

The reason gays don't care what the Bible says is because "God gave them up".

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

__- Really-__ wrote:
<quoted text>excellent post, may I use it> This needs to be posted to Laci and RomanRoad
actually, I was laying in bed this morning waking up and it occurred to me that just posting the scripture at Matthew 7:1-2 by itself in response to the hateful judgmental attacks by the trolls by all of us here trying to emphasis LOVE and Acceptance might have a positive affect in waking the bible thumping trolls up to their unhealthy mental state, and it certainly won't hurt!

They will rant and rave for awhile but it will be interesting to see how they react to the constant repetition of a scripture that points towards their false judgment of their neighbors!

We really can't reason with them but using their own fear to help them see their insanity might just work!

But, yes, feel free to use anything I post that you might find useful.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

RubyTheDyke wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you, Hon, and the theme of that which is inconceivable and trandscending physical existence assuming the aspects of the finite in which to reveal the infinite is an idea that is almost as old as human history. The narrative of the rescue has been recited in many times in many cultures, and the story of Jesus is simply one more couching of the story in imagery that a particular cuture could relate to. The fact that this story has been embellished with the trappings of the self-serving and the message side-tracked in the efforts of power and control is not new either. The mere fact of the reality of the transcendent is to showcase not only the arbirariness of custom and ritual but the fundamental importance not of the mere factors of your living but the the opportunities for discovering the truth and the advancement that every life offers. I am a lesbian, I was born at a time in history where I have experienced both persecution and freedom-what do I do with that? What kind of person do I become? How do I choose to relate and perceive myself in the great pantheon of life? Those are the questions we should be asking ourselves. Establishing some aritrary rules both as a means test to our goodness but our motivation for it is a cheap substitute for actual virtue. In then end the fact I'm a lesbian won't count for anything, being merely the particular vehicle of my learning; what will matter is what kind of humanitarian I have been, especially when to be a humantiarian brings me to the choice of defying those very aritrary rules that supposedly reveal my virtue. Even Jesus demonstrated it was more of an expression of the divine to be compassionate rather than compliant, and broke with the convention that common belief dictated was the great revealer of rightiousness. many times that's our choice also.
Exactly:-)

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

dollarsbill wrote:
Seeing as Paul wrote Romans, God had NOTHING to do with it......and to insult God like you do is really pathetic!!!

God is in my life everyday......even if you think He's not!!!

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

The Oracle wrote:
You won't find any reference to "gays" in any bible.'Gay' in relation to sex is a relatively recent word, first coined by homosexual males and females in order to make their pervertions sound a bit more respectable.
Actually cupcake, the word gay, used in reference to men in particular, was originally coined as one of the many insults for us. We just decided to keep it for ourselves.

The Book of Leviticus contains two verses which have long been interpreted as a prohibition of male-male sex, but there are a lot of prohibitions in Leviticus that have been long disregarded and even had noses thumbed at by the Christan faithful. The Books of Genesis and Judges contain death threats by means of same sex gang rape that often deliberately get confused with expressions of homosexuality. The Book of Kings mentions male temple prostitutes who plied their trade for Pagan worshipers. In the Book of Romans, Paul writes graphically of same sex sex acts that he finds absolutely appalling, but he is writing that such acts were their punishment for their sin of idolatry. If God is punishing homosexuals by sending them to an orgy, it kind of makes one wonder about the whole omniscient thing. That's it, other than the verses in Paul's epistles to the Corinthians and Timothy that have been deliberately rewritten in some Bibles to make sure God hates the homosexuals and the oft misinterpreted reference by Jude to "strange flesh", the Bible neither explicitly mentions "gay" folk nor their activities. Sorry.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Seeing as Paul wrote Romans, God had NOTHING to do with it......and to insult God like you do is really pathetic!!!
God is in my life everyday......even if you think He's not!!!
Which God? You don't even know. You have created your own god to please you. The God of the Bible is the only God.

“"God is Good"”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

__- Really-__ wrote:
<quoted text>excellent post, may I use it> This needs to be posted to Laci and RomanRoad
You can but we will still reject the lies.

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

dollarsbill wrote:
Did you cut Romans 1 out of your Bible? Here is what you are defending from different English Bibles:
Romans 1
"God gave them up" "vile passions" "shameful desires" "evil things" "men with men" "indecent acts"
Yes dear, you've regurgitated the same two verses repeatedly, I know what they say, the problem remains as it was when we started, you can't even fake a clue as to knowing what they mean. One more time. Paul is writing a warning to a presumably heterosexual Christians of Rome about the sin foremost in his mind, idolatry. He lets them in on the reality that God is and continues to punish them for their idolatry. And how is he punishing them? By giving them up to acts that Paul is absolutely horrified by, the first of which is dumping them at same sex sexual orgies that just freak Paul out every way but Sunday and then by a whole laundry list of bad behaviors that Paul is equally offended by. There's a whole lot going on around those two verses that you turned into spam, maybe you should actually read the book at some point. Your relying on the Cliff Notes clearly doesn't help.
The Oracle

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
"You appear to be under the illusion" that I expect gays to repent.
Romans 1 "God gave them up"

You are not making any sense. You seem to waver in your opinions. Are you schizophrenic, or maybe bipolar?

“"God is Good"”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
actually, I was laying in bed this morning waking up and it occurred to me that just posting the scripture at Matthew 7:1-2 by itself in response to the hateful judgmental attacks by the trolls by all of us here trying to emphasis LOVE and Acceptance might have a positive affect in waking the bible thumping trolls up to their unhealthy mental state, and it certainly won't hurt!
They will rant and rave for awhile but it will be interesting to see how they react to the constant repetition of a scripture that points towards their false judgment of their neighbors!
We really can't reason with them but using their own fear to help them see their insanity might just work!
But, yes, feel free to use anything I post that you might find useful.
Satan knows the Word of God better then most do. Thats all you got to sling at the Christians Matt.7? You do not understand the concept of judging do you?
1Cor. 6:2-3 "Do you not know that the saints [the saved; Christians] "will judge" the world? And if you)Christians) are to "judge" the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Yes dear, you've regurgitated the same two verses repeatedly, I know what they say, the problem remains as it was when we started, you can't even fake a clue as to knowing what they mean. One more time. Paul is writing a warning to a presumably heterosexual Christians of Rome about the sin foremost in his mind, idolatry. He lets them in on the reality that God is and continues to punish them for their idolatry. And how is he punishing them? By giving them up to acts that Paul is absolutely horrified by, the first of which is dumping them at same sex sexual orgies that just freak Paul out every way but Sunday and then by a whole laundry list of bad behaviors that Paul is equally offended by. There's a whole lot going on around those two verses that you turned into spam, maybe you should actually read the book at some point. Your relying on the Cliff Notes clearly doesn't help.
You TOTALLY pervert the Scriptures. You are lying to yourself and gays.

1 Corinthians 6:9 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, NOR HOMOSEXUALS, nor sodomites,

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

The Oracle wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not making any sense. You seem to waver in your opinions. Are you schizophrenic, or maybe bipolar?
You seem to be illiterate.

1 Corinthians 6:9 (NKJV)
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
The Oracle

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Actually cupcake, the word gay, used in reference to men in particular, was originally coined as one of the many insults for us. We just decided to keep it for ourselves.
The Book of Leviticus contains two verses which have long been interpreted as a prohibition of male-male sex, but there are a lot of prohibitions in Leviticus that have been long disregarded and even had noses thumbed at by the Christan faithful. The Books of Genesis and Judges contain death threats by means of same sex gang rape that often deliberately get confused with expressions of homosexuality. The Book of Kings mentions male temple prostitutes who plied their trade for Pagan worshipers. In the Book of Romans, Paul writes graphically of same sex sex acts that he finds absolutely appalling, but he is writing that such acts were their punishment for their sin of idolatry. If God is punishing homosexuals by sending them to an orgy, it kind of makes one wonder about the whole omniscient thing. That's it, other than the verses in Paul's epistles to the Corinthians and Timothy that have been deliberately rewritten in some Bibles to make sure God hates the homosexuals and the oft misinterpreted reference by Jude to "strange flesh", the Bible neither explicitly mentions "gay" folk nor their activities. Sorry.

So, are you suggesting that the 'Hippy in the Sky' is not homophobic? Or that he/she/it is homophobic?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Laci Ann 7 wrote:
<quoted text>Satan knows the Word of God better then most do. Thats all you got to sling at the Christians Matt.7? You do not understand the concept of judging do you?
1Cor. 6:2-3 "Do you not know that the saints [the saved; Christians] "will judge" the world? And if you)Christians) are to "judge" the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!
And God's people say, AMEN!

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a hypocrite. You quote Matthew and deny Matthew.
Matthew 5:22 (NKJV)
22 But whoever says,'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.
Matthew 7:1-2 (King James Version)

"1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

“"God is Good"”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Prov. 3:21 My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight;
John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
Jer. 22:3 Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness...
Phil. 1:10 so that you may be able to discern [judge] what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ...

“"God is Good"”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

The Oracle wrote:
<quoted text>
So, are you suggesting that the 'Hippy in the Sky' is not homophobic? Or that he/she/it is homophobic?
You will meet this King one day and you won't be calling Him names then......you will be pleading for mercy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••