Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 Read more: news.yahoo.com 16,103

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Read more

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#7149 Feb 19, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
As in, "Haven't you read the Bible?" "Yes, I have. Haven't you read ANYTHING ELSE?"
Well, I hae read quite a few other books. However, I taylor my responces to these posts to my audience: to findies, I respond from the Bible's perspective; for rational human beings, I use variety of sources, often of a scientific nature.

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Yunited States, North America

#7150 Feb 19, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Context and intent matter, sweetie.
So let me be clear, you are stating that it is okay to use gay transgender in a demeaning demoralizing way if you are a true support of gays?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#7151 Feb 19, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
I have been observing the bible thumpers on here and I think I have a nice way of explaining it for those who are annoyed by these obnoxious pathetic souls.
Bible thumpers consider the bible to be a weapon. They use it like a machine gun, failing to realize that all they are doing is shooting blanks.
Tit for tat and back at ya dude :)

Smurf considers his religious philosophy to be a weapon. He uses it like a machine gun, failing to realize that all he is doing is shooting blanks.

#7152 Feb 19, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
But the bible isn't just some book. It is the inspired, inerrant, infallible Word of the living God. That's why you unbelievers get so angry and upset with the Holy Bible........it convicts you deep into your very soul.
Actualy, what gets us so mad is trying to have a rational discussion with folks foolish enough to continue to pretend that the Bible is inerrant and infallible when it has been REPEATEDLY demonstrated that such claims are false. And it is not the Bible that we get angry with, the Bible is just ink on paper, it is only that small subset of xians that refuses to accept the real world...

#7153 Feb 19, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather trust the Word of God than some anti-Christian play Catholic troll on Topix.
But you DON'T trust the Word of God. You repeatedly DENY the Word of God and substitute your own wishes and prejudices.

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#7154 Feb 19, 2013
GodSmacked wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pointing out how you have a double standard TROTH. You think it is okay to use gay as demeaning derogatory and demoralizing when it comes to posters.
You also appear to have a double standard then, you try an chastise Troth and Jazy for their comments to Sola aka Wayne, but you then IGNORE Sola's aka Wayne's comments towards Tony C and his husband, as well as me and my wife.......either you stand against Gay Bashing in it's ENTIRETY or you allow folks to handle their own issues....but ya can't have it both ways!!!!

#7155 Feb 19, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
But you will learn. Everybody will. But for the majority it will be too late. Repent or burn in the Lake of Fire forever. You have nothing else to look forward to. Nothing.
The Bible says that the myth of eternal Hell is blasphemy.

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#7156 Feb 19, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
But you DON'T trust the Word of God. You repeatedly DENY the Word of God and substitute your own wishes and prejudices.
RR doesn't even KNOW God or His message, RR just idolizes the bible and the written word of man!!!

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#7157 Feb 19, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we are playing a version of the Literalism game, consider that the text says that the planet was ordered "to bring forth".
Consider, too, that the Hebrew word usually translated as "good" in relation to what the planet brought forth, actually carries the nuance "good ENOUGH" (not perfect)... as in "it'll work".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/p014bt45
I have read that a while back in some research I was doing. The Christian OT has some real variances from the actual Jewish OT.
Try reading the story of how the flood happened as if a person with early grade school science knowledge was trying to explain how it took place to their comprehension. It leaves a lot of 'between the lines' consideration.

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Yunited States, North America

#7158 Feb 19, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
You also appear to have a double standard then, you try an chastise Troth and Jazy for their comments to Sola aka Wayne, but you then IGNORE Sola's aka Wayne's comments towards Tony C and his husband, as well as me and my wife.......either you stand against Gay Bashing in it's ENTIRETY or you allow folks to handle their own issues....but ya can't have it both ways!!!!
NorCal you seem to agree that adding stigma to the terms gay or transgender is acceptable regardless of the circumstances and I disagree with that wholeheartedly because I adore gays and want no stigma attached to the term. You and I have had this exchange numerous times about religious convictions and I refuse to argue with Jesus Freaks on the subject of gays because it is pointless however to allow the terms gay or transgender to be used as demeaning demoralizing and bashing by a support of gays is rather hypocritical.

#7159 Feb 19, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
The Bible condemns gays to eternal Hell fire. You have been warned.
Except that there is no LEGITIMATE translation that condemns gays anywhere in the Bible. And putting YOUR limits on God's mercy is blasphemy.

#7160 Feb 19, 2013
Sola Scriptura wrote:
<quoted text>
Perverts see normal, cultural things in a perverted way. Paul said to greet each other with a holy kiss. To you that probably means he was gay or at least bi. Exceeded does NOT mean David had an erection. Evidently you only use gay commentators to get your opinions satisfied. No matter what anyone tells you, you will see David and Johnathan and even Christ Himself as gays. It only fits your gay lifestyle and trying to normalize it.
Almost partially correct. "Exceeded" did not refer to his erection, but the orgasm he experienced while embracing his husband, Johnathan.

And neither David nor Johnathan were likely to have been homosexual, since both are recorded as having had wives as well as being married to each other. Most likely, they were bisexual and found each other to be the soul mate that David never found among women.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#7161 Feb 19, 2013
GodSmacked wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me be clear, you are stating that it is okay to use gay transgender in a demeaning demoralizing way if you are a true support of gays?
I'm saying context and intent matter, sweetie.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#7162 Feb 19, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
How does that work with love the sinner, hate the sin?

According to the NT even Jesus had some difficultly with that :)

but he who blasphemes (sins) against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation;

But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

#7163 Feb 19, 2013
Sola Scriptura wrote:
<quoted text>
Everywhere you look is evidence of a world wide flood.
Not necessarily Noah's though.
Definitely not Noah's, since that is nothing more than a myth. but then, so too is you claim that there is any evidence of a world wide flood. There is no such evidence. All of the scientific evidence shows that no such flood ever has or ever could occur.

The only thing that scientific evidence shows is occasional evidence of large scale floods on a local level. Hint: look at the dates of when they took place. Many different floods...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#7164 Feb 19, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...you're a pathetic, ignorant idiot...lol.
If you went to the link, you would see my comments were at the top, not any of the below from that link. Some one else was doing all the warning.
Why are you an ignorant pathetic idiot? Because you don't read to understand. You read with an agenda. That will always leave you an idiot till you stop.
A poster was claiming Canadian churches weren't fighting among themselves over gay marriage. It was a plausible statement and got me to wondering if it was true.
So I did some research. Actually Canadian churches do fight/disagree between themselves over same sex marriage and homosexuality issues as do American churches.
But the most interesting thing of the post that you never hear pro-homosexual advocates speak about concerning what took place with our northern neighbours, is that what they claim wouldn't happen to religious ministers here in America, them being forced by the US government against their will to marry same sex couples, that very thing happened in Canada.
At one time Canadian ministers had the option by religious freedom to choose or not to choose to marry same sex couples. But the Canadian government decided that it was against their constitution for religious ministers to act on their religious beliefs to refuse same sex marriages.
So the Canadian government passed laws so now religious ministers HAVE TO BY LAW OR SUFFER CRIMINAL ACTIONS marry same sex couples. Freedom of religion in Canada no longer constitutes a minister to act on his personal beliefs concerning same sex marriage.
And you, reverting to your pathetic idiot image didn't see that in that post.
When and if SCOTUS redefines marriage for Americans, if they redefine marriage as being that between any two persons regardless of race, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender, etc, the next step to be taken will be what happened in Canada. Since marriage is a constitutional right for same sex persons, it will shortly be found unconstitutional for a religious minister in America, acting as a person with authority to legally marry, to deny same sex marriages based on the present principle of 'religious freedom'.
So what the pro-homosexual crowd has claimed would never happen, it will happen when same sex marriage is found to be a constitutional right by SCOTUS. Religious ministers will be forced to marry opposites sex and same sex even if it goes against their religious beliefs afforded to them by the constitutional right concerning freedom of religion.
Freedom of religion will be redefined a second time. It was first redefined in 1862.
The British Commonwealth has problems with Separation of church and State. It's tied to the Monarchy since Henry VIII. They still have direct governmental support for religious sects. In the U.S., there are those who resist all attempts to place firm boundaries between the two. They keep muddying the issues.

A church wedding has absolutely no legal force in the U.S.. It's the signatures of the participating witnesses upon the Marriage License attesting to the free consent of the parties to the contract that matter. The rest of the fru-fru whether sectarian or nonreligious is, in legal terms, nonexistent.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#7165 Feb 19, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost partially correct. "Exceeded" did not refer to his erection, but the orgasm he experienced while embracing his husband, Johnathan.
And neither David nor Johnathan were likely to have been homosexual, since both are recorded as having had wives as well as being married to each other. Most likely, they were bisexual and found each other to be the soul mate that David never found among women.
Idiotic nonsense! Exceeded comes from the Hebrew word gadal which means:

1) to grow, become great or important, promote, make powerful, praise, magnify, do great things
-a)(Qal)
--1) to grow up
--2) to become great
--3) to be magnified

-b)(Piel)
--1) to cause to grow
--2) to make great, powerful
--3) to magnify

-c)(Pual) to be brought up

-d)(Hiphil)
--1) to make great
--2) to magnify
--3) to do great things

-e)(Hithpael) to magnify oneself
----------

Exceeded is also used in 1 Kings 10:23- "So king Solomon exceeded all the kings of the earth for riches and for wisdom."

Obviously Solomon wasn't committing perverted sex acts with all the kings of the earth. So no matter how you try to spin your lies, they don't pass any logic whatsoever.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#7166 Feb 19, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
RR doesn't even KNOW God or His message, RR just idolizes the bible and the written word of man!!!
I have the Holy Spirit of God dwelling inside of me, as do all REAL Christians. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior, not anything else.

Location hidden

#7167 Feb 19, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the NT even Jesus had some difficultly with that :)
but he who blasphemes (sins) against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation;
But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
"Holy Spirit" is a colloquial shortening of "holy spirit of truth" (much as "U.S." is of "U.S.A.") that was SO well known at the time that the earliest writings never clarified it. Within two centuries, gentiles were making up all sorts of meanings for it, and ultimately deifying it.

N.B.- The Aramaic phrase was "cause to stumble"

Location hidden

#7168 Feb 19, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the Holy Spirit of God dwelling inside of me, as do all REAL Christians. Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior, not anything else.
Fallacy: "No True Scotsman"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 21 min Wondering 2,794
News Claim: Michael Jackson Paid at Least $200M to S... 45 min Florida 345
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 49 min tongangodz 2,661
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 53 min Blackburn 31,846
News Potsdam gay pride parade brings faith and aware... 1 hr Fundie Concernd B... 90
News The Supreme Court's big gay-marriage case could... 3 hr Quest 19
News Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 7 hr Fr Feeley 1,330
More from around the web