Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 20 comments on the Apr 27, 2009, news.yahoo.com story titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“God WANTS you to Evolve!”

Since: May 08

Northern Colorado

#6925 Feb 18, 2013
WHAT CAN BE ASSERTED WITHOUT PROOF CAN BE DISMISSED WITHOUT PROOF. - Christopher Hitchens-

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#6926 Feb 18, 2013
His-truth wrote:
You must be gettn under their skin Wayne ....
the children are all throwing sand
Only demented people #1 put those things together and #2 think it's an accomplishment.

Grow up.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#6927 Feb 18, 2013
His-truth wrote:
He has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts .. so they can neither see with their eyes .. nor understand with their hearts .. nor turn .. and I would heal them ..... John 12:37
Mirror, bro.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#6928 Feb 18, 2013
His-truth wrote:
and the AMA also believes that an unborn child is nothing more than a peice of tissue .... science "so-called" .... next
like you're more of an expert LOL

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#6929 Feb 18, 2013
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
No Surprise: "We also have God commanding Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. God wanted to know if Abraham would sacrifice his only son to a cause as he was allowing Jesus to sacrifice his life for humanities"
Bull-loney.
God ordering Abraham to kill his son is hardly equivilant to God ALLOWING His son to sacrifice his life for humanity's sake. Not that either makes any sense WHATSOEVER.
Furthermore, God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac to prove to Satan that Abraham would obey Him, NOT because "God wanted to know if Abraham would" do it!
Really, my dear...."God wanted to KNOW..."? NOT.(God is omnipotent!)
You suppose many things where there are no facts. Can God know the future? Obviously if he created the time and space that all things happen within them. Does God know everything about the future? An unknown. But God did reveal parts of the future to humans in a translated state of being that is true from the stories. So we know at least God can know the future when he wants to know it.
Now for the story...
"22 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am."
God tempted Abraham. Did God tempt Abraham to see what he would do or, did God tempt Abraham to show Abraham what he would do? The questions have many, many possible answers. In the mean time God tempted Abraham for a purpose.
In the future it would be come to known that God would allow his only son to be sacrificed/killed/murdered/mar tyred for the sake of all humanity.
For his own reason, God paralleled the future killing of his only son for a sacrifice for the sins of humanity, to telling Abraham to do the same exact thing but by his own hand.
12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
This wasn't about Satan. God was testing Abraham to reveal to him what God would one day allow to happen to his only son Jesus. God wanted Abraham to have a knowledge of things we know nothing about. But those things were important for Abraham to know because God tested Abraham's faith to reveal secret things just to him.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#6930 Feb 18, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you agree that God accepted a human sacrifice in exchange for a favor, which is EXACTLY WHAT I SAID. You were so busy trying to excuse the atrocity (God knew what would emerge, yet he knowingly went along with it, thus God knew it would be a human sacrifice, unless you think it's possible to surprise God), you failed to notice that all you did was restate what I had said.
People suppose what they think is the obvious concerning the Bible. And sometimes the obvious is correct.
But, but in the case of the story of Jephthah, I see you have not read it all the way through.
29 Then the Spirit of the Lord came on Jephthah. He crossed Gilead and Manasseh, passed through Mizpah of Gilead, and from there he advanced against the Ammonites. 30 And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord:“If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”
In Judges chapter 11 the Lord doesn't respond. The Lord isn't recorded as having accepted or rejected the unknown sacrifice Jephthah has offered. It just states that Jephthah has made a deal with God but there is nothing showing god accepted or rejected the deal. So people SUPPOSE God accepted the deal in spite of nothing being wrote that God was okay with the deal.
Than we have...
34 When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but his daughter, dancing to the sound of timbrels! She was an only child. Except for her he had neither son nor daughter. 35 When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried,“Oh no, my daughter! You have brought me down and I am devastated. I have made a vow to the Lord that I cannot break.”
Again we have nothing from God. Nothing of him saying don't do the sacrifice of your daughter nor that God said he was accepting of it.
And if you read the last three verses, it reads more like the daughter is lamenting because she will never be able to marry while being alive. There is nothing of her lamenting the story's statement that her dad is about to burn her alive in a fire. If in two months you were going to die by being put into flames while being alive, would you lament the fact you would never be married?
But if a deal was revised so instead of her death, a life as a virgin she must live would be the sacrifice, wouldn't that explain why she was lamenting never being able to be married but to remain a virgin?
And those are the theories. A. her dad sacrificed her alive in a fire and B. the sacrifice was actually she remaining a virgin for life for the Lord.
It's a matter of interpretation. Especially when centuries prior to Judges God gave a command not to sacrifice sons or daughters to fires as sacrifice. And now were suppose to believe God is making a liar of himself? That it's okay to sacrifice sons and daughters to fire? You can't have it both ways :)

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#6931 Feb 18, 2013
His-truth wrote:
and the AMA also believes that an unborn child is nothing more than a peice of tissue .... science "so-called" .... next
You just made that up.
BTW, do you believe aborted fetuses go to hell?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#6932 Feb 18, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
You are defending a religion based on a primitive view of a tribal god of wrath that Israel outgrew long ago.
I am doing my best to expose it for what it is.
And don't give me your cr@p about me hating the people in your religion.
lol....you should really just try reading what I actually wrote. Quit reading into it what I didn't say, it would really help.
I made a statement about blood atonement. In stated facts about blood atonement.
You wish others to believe that early Mormons are the only people who thought/believed and or practised blood atonement. And if you wish to speak of what they said and how the slicing of a person's body/throat to spill their blood to atone for their sin/deed was taught, it was. But not to the extent as you claim it. And it was rarely if ever done. The speech of such doctrine only lasted for a few decades before dying out.
But you wish to ignorantly contend that the LDS still believe and practice the doctrine of blood atonement this very day and in that belief, you are your own pathetic liar. That church once practised polygamy too. Why don't you ignorantly try and prove Mormon elders can have several wives today to? Why don't you show proof that blacks still can't hold the priesthood? You are contending a one time belief is still believed and taught as commandment to be obeyed this very day in 2013. Give your evidence or get with reality!
Even Jesus said some sins weren't forgiveable in this life and or the next, like the denial of the Holy Ghost. Or the hurting of a person of innocence, Jesus said a person that hurt a innocent person should go and drown themselves because they wouldn't find forgiveness in this life.
So it isn't strange that after reading the Bible, the Mormons would claim some sins have no forgiveness in this life and or the next.
By the way, counter to your claim the Mormons practised blood atonement, Mormons within their own settings usually shot or hung criminals. They didn't slit their throats.
Your extremism is showing again like a reddened pimple on a nose dude, just saying.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#6933 Feb 18, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
still trying to defend the Mountain Meadows Massacre I see!
Good luck with that.
And don't give me your cr@p about me hating the people in your religion. It is the doctrine I hate that is harming the people trapped in it and those driven to drink that have been cast out!
I'm trying to defend the MMM? Some more of your lying garbage talk. Show me where I have defended men that slaughtered other men, women and children. Show me one instance where I have defended those men doing that horrendous act. You're a pathetic liar for even saying that. You'll remain a liar every time you say it. Why do you enjoy repeating such lies? An honest person wouldn't indulge themselves in such filthy out right lies.
Next, people in that church preach their doctrines. The doctrines don't sprout legs and brains and a mouth to speak with. So spin it all you want. You hate the Mormons that preach and teach Mormonism. Mormons from teens to adults preach their doctrines you claim are hurting them. Therefore you hate the deliverer of the doctrine and the doctrine they deliver to others. Therefore you hate all Mormons that teach Mormon doctrines you claim hurt all those that accept those teachings. lol...you can't even be honest about what you hate...

“the end-times is now”

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#6934 Feb 18, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
like you're more of an expert LOL
um, the facts are what they are .. http://www.100abortionpictures.com/Aborted_Ba... .. deal w/ it

“the end-times is now”

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#6935 Feb 18, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You just made that up.
BTW, do you believe aborted fetuses go to hell?
no .. but I have a good idea who does .. http://www.gty.org/MediaPlayer/sermons/80-67 .. Four marks of a Hell-Bound man

Location hidden

#6936 Feb 18, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>I'm trying to defend the MMM? Some more of your lying garbage talk. Show me where I have defended men that slaughtered other men, women and children. Show me one instance where I have defended those men doing that horrendous act. You're a pathetic liar for even saying that. You'll remain a liar every time you say it. Why do you enjoy repeating such lies? An honest person wouldn't indulge themselves in such filthy out right lies.
Next, people in that church preach their doctrines. The doctrines don't sprout legs and brains and a mouth to speak with. So spin it all you want. You hate the Mormons that preach and teach Mormonism. Mormons from teens to adults preach their doctrines you claim are hurting them. Therefore you hate the deliverer of the doctrine and the doctrine they deliver to others. Therefore you hate all Mormons that teach Mormon doctrines you claim hurt all those that accept those teachings. lol...you can't even be honest about what you hate...
Umm..when did they stop slitting throats in the temple ceremonies??
Sola Scriptura

Fayetteville, WV

#6937 Feb 18, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
omg you think the KJV is the original bible!!!!!!!!
Frickin stupid!!
Was the original bible written in English?!
Game over.
Listen you dumbass, stop trying to be something you ain't. Even if the original manuscripts existed, YOUR illiterate ass couldn't read them.

The KJV is the closest thing we have.
Sola Scriptura

Fayetteville, WV

#6938 Feb 18, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Don't get so hung up on the gene thing.
It's not necessary to prove I was born gay. It's much simpler than that. It goes like this:
I was born gay.
Ta-da!
Now - somebody tell me what difference it makes to the price of tea in China whether or not I was born gay?
No you weren't. You chose to be a gay. An abomination, you chose it.
Sola Scriptura

Fayetteville, WV

#6939 Feb 18, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>I was talking TO tony about YOU diaperboy.
epic fail though!
Doesn't change the fact you are a dumbass.
Sola Scriptura

Fayetteville, WV

#6940 Feb 18, 2013
Troth for Leogere wrote:
<quoted text>Hey wayne! I thought "god wrote" the bible.. how come King James did now? Hmm we have a problem here.. I had NO idea that king james was god!
Oh my! You need to have your diapers changed.. the fecal matter must be going backward.
God had the bible written. He didn't physically write it. You're so full of shit it's a wonder you can walk.
Sola Scriptura

Fayetteville, WV

#6941 Feb 18, 2013
His-truth wrote:
You must be gettn under their skin Wayne ....
the children are all throwing sand
The easiest way to get under their skin is to tell the biblical truth. They can't take it, much less understand it.
Sola Scriptura

Fayetteville, WV

#6942 Feb 18, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Your link was written before the AMA released the results of their 65 year project of documentation on gay cadaver research
Gay people have different physical brain structure connected to a different spinal cord design that has six more neurological connectors than straighties have. These gay-specific body parts cannot be transplanted to a straightie; nor vice-versa. The pieces don't fit
The differences are visible to the naked eye (on autopsy) and can be photographed with film cameras and with ordinary digital cameras
http://media01.commpartners.com/AMA/sexual_id...
I don't doubt gays have different brains, after all those years of perversion it is bound to take a toll on their psyche.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#6943 Feb 18, 2013
Sola Scriptura wrote:
<quoted text>
The easiest way to get under their skin is to tell the biblical truth. They can't take it, much less understand it.
25. "That isn't what it means" with no explanation is really considered a valid response from fundies. Apparently they don't know what they mean either. Also phrased as: "Us Fundies is right about the Bible. You all wrong!"

http://www.ralliance.org/GamesFundiesPlay.htm...
Sola Scriptura

Fayetteville, WV

#6944 Feb 18, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul is not in agreement with Jesus. In fact he misunderstood pretty much all of the message just as you apparently did. Although I don't think he was the Antichrist as many do.
I just think he was the seed that started the whole Roman hoax of Christianity that you are trying to defend with your hateful ad homimen attacks.
I won't be responding to any more of your posts.
I think you are too brainwashed and too consumed with hate for me to want to engage in any kind of meaningful discussion with you here on topix.
You won't respond to anymore of my posts because you know you don't know what you are talking about. Paul is in lockstep with the teachings of Christ, in all things.

Go ahead and post scripture where they disagree. You can't do it.

And I hate no one here. Do you see me responding to Christians? No you don't because I only go after fakes and frauds. show me where I have said anything against true Christians. Maybe YOU have a different definition of Christianity than I do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge proposes Oregon bakery pay $135,000 to le... 3 min lides 216
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 min Anonymous of Indy 32,079
News Poll: More faiths embracing gay marriage 20 min woodtick57 25
News The Latest on GOP's 2016 hopefuls: Cruz on gay ... 21 min goose 92
News Moral decay must end for America to be great again 21 min Yakitori 10
News What to watch at SCOTUS gay marriage hearing 23 min Holy Guacamole 3
News Islanders protest gay-marriage ban - Hawaii News (Feb '09) 25 min Rainbow Kid 203
More from around the web