Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 Full story: news.yahoo.com 16,104

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Full Story

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#4576 Feb 8, 2013
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, a fetus is not a body part.
A womb is part of a woman's body.
But the human being developing in a womb is NOT.
Furthermore, body parts are NOT canceled, terminated, or aborted!
They're excized, amputated, cut out, disarticulated...etc.
Aside from which, every single one of us was once a fetus.
We wouldn't be here if WE'D been aborted.
Surely we all agree on that much!
I just think a woman should have the right to decide if she wants an abortion or not. I don't get into the "is it human?" debate, I believe that whatever it is, fetus, baby, human, as long as it is *inside* the woman's body, and living off of her system, it should be her choice.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#4577 Feb 8, 2013
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
There is plenty of supporting evidence, indeed it is the reigning thesis amounf secular historians that explains the explosive growth of 1st through 3rd century Christianity.
But no, Im not going to provide citations and a bibliography..ypou simply need to be better read.
Maybe I am better read and that's how I know your claim is hogwash.
Logic Lessons 4 Fundies

Alpharetta, GA

#4578 Feb 8, 2013
Laci Ann 7 wrote:
<quoted text>Angry because you are gay? There is deliverance, unless you have blasphemed. So if I were you I would shut that trap of yours and all the filth that comes out of it you devil........hell will be hot and the lake of fire much hotter.
The 'lake of fire' heated the Old Flat Earth; but was extinguished by the Great Flood of Noah
So you need something else to bully gay people
Quest

Woodford, VA

#4579 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember this: God's moral standard is perfection 24/7. Not only must the action be perfect but so must the attitude and desire......
God created the very concept of immorality and sin - it did not exist before he created it. He created humans KNOWING they would fail at your perfect morality - that they could not even understand what it was.

He sets us on a path, and watches over us as we walk it. He doesn't expect perfection, because in perfection there would be nothing more to learn. No room to grow. No place for change.

A futile search for some nebulous moral perfection isn't the goal of our living - doing the best we can with the gifts we are given is.

And ONLY God knows what all of those gifts, are. It's your job to find as many as we can.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4580 Feb 8, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
For instance, Christians from the United Church of Christ. However, they don't share your ideas about gay Christians, and yet any Baptism conducted by them is accepted by other Christian denominations.
Interesting how that works.
Not everyone that says "Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven"..........

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Austin, TX

#4581 Feb 8, 2013
If the bible is literal.... Where exactly is this "Lake of Fire"?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#4582 Feb 8, 2013
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
How much money do you want to bet that same-sex "marriage" wont be established through the "privelages and immunities" clause you refrence above!!
Seriously, a opinion is expected in July, and no serious court watcher believe that this clause is in effect...
Furthermoe any applicationj ofthe equal protecton clause would require gay marriage nation wide as you read it.
Gay men and woman already hae equal protection of the law concerning marriage. Changing the definition is not an "equal" protection it is a special accomodation that efects al "marriages".
Gays and lesbians can ge married, but because they are not attracted to the opposite sex they dont choose to avail themselves of this right.
The decision by SCOTUS will be out in June, the Court will be in recess in July.......and I believe that SCOTUS will do the right thing and toss DOMA and also Prop 8.......so, until then......I'll stand my by beliefs and await the ruling......and not your speculation!!!

Well, I hate to inform you of this, but there are just as many legal experts who disagree with you and who agree with me......so, that's not really a true judgment of how this will play out......but this is what I know..........Section 3 of DOMA has LOST in every court rulings from the lower courts and the Appeal's level......the same is true for the proponents of Prop 8.......they both have huge hills to climb to overcome the appeals rulings.....and then there is the Article 3 Standing question in both, which is a wild card situation......so, I'd rather not pay attention to a supposed lawyer who makes these interesting claims......and I'll wait to hear how Olson and Boies handle things.......I mean Ted Olson has over a 75% win record in front of SCOTUS......what's your win record in front of SCOTUS?

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#4583 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everyone that says "Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven"..........
I seriously choked on my soda when I read this . I'm sure the irony of YOU posting this would be hard for anyone to miss.
Pot meet kettle.

Santa Monica, CA

#4584 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christ is the ONLY way into Heaven. It doesn't get any simpler than this.
John 3:36- He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
What happens to people who never hear of Jesus, do they go to hell?

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4585 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I'm in the Christian forum. If you go the main Christian area this thread is in the top list.
And yet, here you are in the Gay/Lesbian Forum.

“I will not keep calm”

#4586 Feb 8, 2013
Laci Ann 7 wrote:
<quoted text>It is you that has been caught in the gay trap of satan.......he laughs at you pawns. He hates you more then you hate Christians. The GOD we serve loves and will uphold us with His righteous Right Hand. I know this to be the truth, that is why nothing you can ever say, will ever make His ppl doubt. That is where our strength comes from.....from God. Smiling......thanking......lov ing God through it all.
You think gay people are of Satan ?
I can honestly say that your bigoted views of the gay community isnt a christ like attribute.
Im sure our heavenly father is more than a little disappointed by the way you treat his other children.

“It's all in your head”

Austin, TX

#4587 Feb 8, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't expect a reasonable or sane answer to your question.

“I will not keep calm”

#4588 Feb 8, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That isnt what is taught in Mormonism anyway. Though that is what I was taught in the baptist religion as a child.
I know the question wasn't directed at me but thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#4589 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
You completely missed the point of my statement. My brothers and sisters in Christ come from all different denominations.
You mean the brothers, sisters and denominations you decide on and not god.

“It's all in your head”

Austin, TX

#4590 Feb 8, 2013
Laci Ann 7 wrote:
<quoted text>The GOD we serve
I thought there is only one God. What's the deal? How many Gods do you think are out there? You seem to believe there are other Gods directing things. Is that other God Satan? Are you saying Satan is a God? Where you coming from anyway?

Santa Monica, CA

#4591 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
This is so good it needs to be posted:
"Homosexual "Marriage"
I'm a lawyer and a philosopher. I trade in arguments. To this day, I have seen no good argument for altering the institution of marriage so as to allow two men or two women to marry each other.[QUOTE]

Well, stupid, here is the only one needed: equal rights.

[QUOTE who="Jeff"]
All I've seen are slogans ("Marriage Equality"), intimidation ("homophobe!"), and what Roger Scruton calls "shallow arguments."
The concept of equality is purely formal. All it says is that likes must be treated alike and unlikes differently, in proportion to their differences. If you say that equality requires homosexual "marriage," then you're saying that, with respect to marriage, there are no relevant differences between two men, two women, or a man and a woman.
No, stupid, I'm saying men and women should have equal rights.
Fundies are obviously inferior when it comes to intelligence, so in that sense they are not "the same" as rational people, but, they should still have equal rights.
Jeff wrote:
But this must be established, not merely asserted! Surely there is a strong presumption against tinkering with the institution of marriage, which has served society long and well. To rebut this presumption, strong arguments are required. Nothing but weak arguments have been produced (when arguments have been offered at all).
Ours is a shallow, feeble-minded age. Merely using the laudatory "equality" in a slogan suffices to persuade weak minds. What's next: marriage between adults and children;
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?
Jeff wrote:
marriage between humans and animals; marriage between three or more adults; marriage between children? Call it "marriage equality" and half the battle is won."
http://keithburgess-jackson.typepad.com/blog/...
LOLSER.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#4592 Feb 8, 2013
John from Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't expect a reasonable or sane answer to your question.
That's for dang sure :-)

#4593 Feb 8, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
No originality at all? Same questions again and again and again?

I believe that God will get the gospel to everyone that would accept it no matter where they are in the world. After all, He is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient.

The scriptures are clear though......Jesus Christ is the ONLY way into Heaven. You won't get in any other way.

#4594 Feb 8, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
No, stupid, I'm saying men and women should have equal rights.
Fundies are obviously inferior when it comes to intelligence, so in that sense they are not "the same" as rational people, but, they should still have equal rights.
<quoted text>
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?
<quoted text>
LOLSER.
Rose's Law:
I repeat the same idiotic drivel over and over again because I'm not intelligent enough to win a debate with a "fundie".

“Watching for Wolves~”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#4595 Feb 8, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> You think gay people are of Satan ?
I can honestly say that your bigoted views of the gay community isnt a christ like attribute.
Im sure our heavenly father is more than a little disappointed by the way you treat his other children.
The Children of God do *not* commit sin.
"Whosoever is born of God doth NOT commit sin: 1JO 3:9

The Children of Satan continue to commit sin.
"He that committeth sin is of the Devil" 1JO 3:8

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/5...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 4 min Home school 31,561
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 19 min KiMare 26,962
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 24 min KiMare 51,293
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 34 min KiMare 63
Zen Buddhist Temple in Japan Offers Symbolic Sa... 2 hr DRUGJAPANESEDEBTD... 48
Heading To Australia For Your Honeymoon? Here's... 3 hr _0rion_ 1
Couples Who Challenged Utah's Gay Marriage Ban ... 5 hr Sir Andrew 4
More from around the web