Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16101 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#4356 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
You unbelievers have NO right to talk about spelling or grammar errors.
"a tipickle unbeelevee postt is liek thiss herre, u fundiies r dum but we unbeeleveers arr smert"
If you "believers" weren't so illiterate, we wouldn't have to talk about it. You people show your ignorance at every turn. LOL!

Since: Dec 09

United States

#4357 Feb 8, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it inside the woman's body, living off of her system? If it is, it should be her choice, zygote, fetus, human, baby...
IMO, a fetus is not a body part.
A womb is part of a woman's body.
But the human being developing in a womb is NOT.

Furthermore, body parts are NOT canceled, terminated, or aborted!
They're excized, amputated, cut out, disarticulated...etc.

Aside from which, every single one of us was once a fetus.
We wouldn't be here if WE'D been aborted.

Surely we all agree on that much!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4358 Feb 8, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it matter if a man opts to be a stay at home parent? Does this make him less of a man? Why if a woman wants to be a Firefighter does that mean she is trying to be to masculine?
Really, men were men thousands of year ago? Please explain how......I'd be interested to know how......and why should men and women be defined by certain criteria?
Funny thing about gender and defining folks by specific gender related roles........it shouldn't matter.....men can still be men regardless of what their interests are and the same should apply to women......the more we try to force people to be in gender specific roles, the more people say no and break out of narrow boxes!!!
The only thing in this world that is 100% A WOMAN THING.......is carrying, birthing and breast-feeding babies.....everything else is debatable!!!!
Well put. Seems those defining what is manly are those who do very little and make their wives do it all.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4359 Feb 8, 2013
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, a fetus is not a body part.
A womb is part of a woman's body.
But the human being developing in a womb is NOT.
Furthermore, body parts are NOT canceled, terminated, or aborted!
They're excized, amputated, cut out, disarticulated...etc.
Aside from which, every single one of us was once a fetus.
We wouldn't be here if WE'D been aborted.
Surely we all agree on that much!
Don't confuse a word for the thing.

The body produces the egg. Every part of the egg comes from the body. It is part of the body, just like very other cell the body produces. Like a retrovirus, it cannot replicate itself because it has only half the genetic material necessary to do so. Once the "fertilizing" chain reaction starts replication, the cells remain the woman's body genetically. Still, absolutely everything it uses to grow, replicate and differentiate comes from the woman's body. Except of 50% of the DNA blueprint, it's ALL the woman's body.

Biochemically, there is little reason why parthenogenesis is not possible.

btw: Do you like your chicken hard boiled, poached, sunny, over easy or scrambled?

United States

#4360 Feb 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I asked if it would be a good thing if 99% of heterosexual married couples did not have babies.
Doesn't society have vested interest in having heterosexual couples to have babies?
So why should we support relationships that cannot procreate?
Jeff: " Doesn't society have vested interest in having heterosexual couples to have babies?"

H*LL NO.
Traditional marriage doesn't benefit society because heterosexuals procreate, but because marriage makes heterosexuals legally responsible for the children they produce.
In ancient times, hetero promiscuity was rampant and unchecked. People had sex at the drop of a hat. Marriage was introduced BECAUSE heteroswent around f*cking like bunnies with reckless abandon.
Procreation was the PROBLEM.
Marriage was the solution: sex with only ONE partner lowers the overall birth rate significantly.
And by the way, traditional marriage is NOT to Christians' credit, should you be laboring under the assumption it is.
Marriage wasn't meant to gloriify procreaters, but to constrain them within the confines of a two-person union.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#4361 Feb 8, 2013
GodSmacked wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Quest.
Howdy

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#4362 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan's churches will fall away but the true Bible believing, bible preaching churches will be united.
Interesting view, but the problems start when you start thinking that anyone who does not agree with your personal interpretations of this or that scripture are automatically of "Satan's Church".

There are very very few absolutes required to be a Christian, and those were discussed by Jesus Himself.

Much of the rest is subject to learning, conjecture, and personal opinion.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#4363 Feb 8, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well put. Seems those defining what is manly are those who do very little and make their wives do it all.
I happen to agree with snyper......they are confusing the physical plumbing with societal roles and they're not the same thing.......a man is a man because of his plumbing, not because of the job he holds in society.

The same is true for a woman.......and yet these fundies confuse physical traits with employment attributes!!!

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4364 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a discussion forum. The thread title is "Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?"........what do you want me to post about,'butterflies and flowers'?
The Holy Bible is crystal clear that marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN.....plus homosexuality is a sin......plus any sex outside of marriage is a sin......
There is no 100% accurately translated bible on earth.

Next.
LowellGuy

Salem, MA

#4365 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
I read through it multiple times a year. After every entire reading, my faith increases more and more. I start in Genesis 1:1 go through to Rev 22:21 and then back to Genesis 1:1 over and over.......actually it's continual. Every day I have a dedicated bible reading time.
Reading != comprehending
LowellGuy

Salem, MA

#4366 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I believe what the bible teaches and that is that the earth is a sphere suspended in space.
How many times are going to repeat the same nonsense drivel?
Oh, right. The old "spheres are circles" bit. They ain't.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4367 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
I read through it multiple times a year. After every entire reading, my faith increases more and more. I start in Genesis 1:1 go through to Rev 22:21 and then back to Genesis 1:1 over and over.......actually it's continual. Every day I have a dedicated bible reading time.
I suggest more prayer since you're obviously not getting it.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4368 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan's churches will fall away but the true Bible believing, bible preaching churches will be united.
Actually the majority are and will continue to be "the false church" where people like you convince each other that loving thy neighbor means denying legal status to their marriages in a country where everyone is supposed to be free and equal - among other blasphemous atrocities.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4369 Feb 8, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Job 26:7- He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Isaiah 40:21-22
21 Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
Proverbs 8:27- When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
----------
Circle, compass = Strong's H2329 - chuwg
Speaking of stretcheth...

United States

#4370 Feb 8, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't confuse a word for the thing.
The body produces the egg. Every part of the egg comes from the body. It is part of the body, just like very other cell the body produces. Like a retrovirus, it cannot replicate itself because it has only half the genetic material necessary to do so. Once the "fertilizing" chain reaction starts replication, the cells remain the woman's body genetically. Still, absolutely everything it uses to grow, replicate and differentiate comes from the woman's body. Except of 50% of the DNA blueprint, it's ALL the woman's body.
Biochemically, there is little reason why parthenogenesis is not possible.
btw: Do you like your chicken hard boiled, poached, sunny, over easy or scrambled?
snyper: "Don't confuse a word for the thing."

You seem to be confusing what it is with what it isn't.
The egg is part of a womans body.
Sperm is part of a man's body.
When the egg in in the body of human no. 1, the woman, is fertilized by sperm from the body of human no. 2,, the. Man, a THIRD human is concieved.

A plant needs sunlight to grow. It is not a part of the sun.
A fetus needs nourishment to develop. It is not a part of the nourishing body's.

All of OUR own lives began at our conception - we were all once fetuses ourselves - how can the unborn NOT matter?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4371 Feb 8, 2013
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
snyper: "Don't confuse a word for the thing."
You seem to be confusing what it is with what it isn't.
The egg is part of a womans body.
Sperm is part of a man's body.
When the egg in in the body of human no. 1, the woman, is fertilized by sperm from the body of human no. 2,, the. Man, a THIRD human is concieved.
A plant needs sunlight to grow. It is not a part of the sun.
A fetus needs nourishment to develop. It is not a part of the nourishing body's.
All of OUR own lives began at our conception - we were all once fetuses ourselves - how can the unborn NOT matter?
At the risk of taking the thread OT, I have to agree with most of this.

What I don't necessarily agree with are the conclusions some people draw from it.

If a woman has a miscarriage at 3 months, she will often say she lost her baby (whether or not that is the legally correct term) and may have a ceremony or do something to remember that baby. She may even name it.

If her sister has an abortion at 3 months, she doesn't.

So is the difference between one and the other simply the feelings of the mother?

I do not fight on either side of this issue. I admit I have a bit of a "cop out" lazy attitude about it and chalk it up to current law because I know I personally will never have to face it. I will never get a woman pregnant.

If asked, I would counsel a woman to go the adoption route rather than have an abortion in most, not all, cases.

OTOH people protesting and harrassing women outside abortion clinics piss me off and I want to step in and defend the woman.

Before I came out of the closet, I used to debate this with a good female friend of mine. I always saw it from the perspective of: what if I get a girl pregnant and she decides to have an abortion? I didn't like the fact that I would have no say over the fate of what I considered to be my baby or my potential baby. That doesn't seem right. And her reply would be ultimately nobody has any control over the woman, because if she wants to throw herself down the stairs and say it was an accident (inducing a miscarriage) nobody could stop her. I didn't like that, either.

So the whole thing is a tough question and I am suspicious of anyone on either side who is so black and white about it.

I guess it boils down to I would discourage it on a personal level but not legally ban it.

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

#4372 Feb 8, 2013
tickedoffchic wrote:
<quoted text>
If you "believers" weren't so illiterate, we wouldn't have to talk about it. You people show your ignorance at every turn. LOL!
It's quite the opposite. Us Christians have to hold your hand and keep explaining EVERY single thing to you. I couldn't simplify my posts any more than what I have been doing.

Posting with you Topix unbelievers gives me a new appreciation for pre-school and kindergarten teachers. The saddest thing is you people call yourselves adults........

#4373 Feb 8, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting view, but the problems start when you start thinking that anyone who does not agree with your personal interpretations of this or that scripture are automatically of "Satan's Church".
There are very very few absolutes required to be a Christian, and those were discussed by Jesus Himself.
Much of the rest is subject to learning, conjecture, and personal opinion.
Jesus Christ is the ONLY way into Heaven. It doesn't get any simpler than this.

John 3:36- He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

#4374 Feb 8, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no 100% accurately translated bible on earth.
Next.
Sorry but God has preserved His Word just as promised. You are angry because it still speaks out against sinful lifestyles. Tough!

#4375 Feb 8, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading != comprehending
Being a Holy Spirit filled, saved child of the living God......I understand the scriptures just fine. It's the unbelievers that have proven to not understand it at all.

1 Corinthians 1:18- For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 1 hr Rose_NoHo 204
News Baker wants US Supreme Court to hear gay weddin... 8 hr Just Think 8
News 4 GOP candidates sign anti-gay marriage pledge (Aug '15) 10 hr swedenforever 513
News Connecticut's convention-goers head home, many ... 19 hr In Hillary Gays T... 1
News Can a new chief rabbi change the Israeli Rabbin... (Apr '13) Fri indict ELTON JOHN 17
News Newly released court documents cast doubt on Gi... (Dec '11) Fri Eddie Munster 30
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Fri Right On 31,932
More from around the web