Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against ...

Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

There are 16097 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#3716 Feb 5, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
More lies..why do u feel the need to lie?
I'm not, and I'm not playing your game nomo. If you truly care the way you say, then stop fighting with the very people who want to help.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#3717 Feb 5, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text> Huh where does it say in the bible that married people must have children???? Is there a law that I am missing?
Some folks call it the first commandment: "go forth, be fruitful, and multiply". Of course those who do so are ignorant of the simple fact that it is not a commandment, but a blessing on Adam & Eve, a sign that the God of the Bible was happy that His children had grown up and were moving out on their own. And all that is based ont eh assumption that you want to take the myth seriously, rather than as the allegorical tale that it was intended to be.

#3718 Feb 5, 2013
victoria1 wrote:
Today in school, my son's assignment in English class was to write a complaint letter to anyone of their choice.
My son chose the Westboro Baptist Church.
I know I raised him right.
Cool. Good job!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3719 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
That maybe true. Traditional marriage i.e. man and woman is the best place to raise children. It is the gold standard.
Whose tradition?

#3720 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Its sad that little girl will never have a real mom.
Perhaps, it is a little sad. But, it is FAR better to have two loving and nurturing gay parents, than a "real" mom that neglects her or abuses her, or allows the boyfriend of the week to abuse her.

Stability, love and the desire to do the best possible job count for a LOT more than mere biology when it comes to raising children.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#3721 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
That maybe true. Traditional marriage i.e. man and woman is the best place to raise children. It is the gold standard.
So, yes to taking kids away form single parent households and relocating them to married heterosexual couples?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#3722 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How about in the year 1300?
Moving the goalposts. I answered your question. You didn't like that there was an answer. You change the question. Try being honest for once.

How about inter-racial marriage in the year 1300? Your point is pointless, as usual.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#3723 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Before I answer what is the primary purpose of marriage? What benefit does it give society?
I'm asking YOU to explain YOURSELF. It's not my job to create your argument for you. Answer the question. Why should heterosexual couples who cannot or will not procreate be allowed to marry?

#3724 Feb 5, 2013
Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
First off let me correct you. It was Paul that condemned homosexuality, not GOD! You assume that Paul spoke for GOD but since Paul contradicts the historical Jesus on most things you will have to choose who speaks for GOD and who does not. GOD is not a god of confusion!
The historical Jesus only used the Hebrew Scriptures. The Greek Scriptures were not even written til generations after Jesus died.
Minor historical quibble - the Torah was translated into Greek before Jesus, it is the Septuagant or LXX. The exact date for the translation of the rest of the OT is disputable, but the Torah appears to have been translated in the late 2nd century BCE.

#3725 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Children without a mom or a dad will always lack because of it. No same sex couple can make up for this lack.
Except of course that you have been proven wrong by real world studies of children. As long as they are in a nurturing family, the children grow up just fine, without any "lack".

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#3726 Feb 5, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
God created Adam (MAN) and Eve (WOMAN), that was the first marriage. It wasn't bizarre since that it how the Creator made it to be.
What is bizarre is anything outside of that God ordained arrangement.
They were never married.

#3727 Feb 5, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Better to leave kids in an orphanage? Or abort them?
Euthanasia...

Jazybird58

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#3728 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How about in the year 1300?
Keep moving the goal post, at some point ypu will win.

#3729 Feb 5, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just pointing out another flaw in same sex marriage. Its built into the system that a child will always lack either a mom or a dad. This is not a good thing for a child. Agreed?
No, not agreed. It is a false premise, not backed up by any evidence. Quite the opposite in fact, all of the evidence shows that SSM is just as good for the kids as hetero marriage, all other things being equal.

Jazybird58

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#3730 Feb 5, 2013
I am Servant wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure do you have some of the hard mint kind? Or some peppermint patties?
Its in my pocket, you tell me if its hard?

#3731 Feb 5, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Science isn't a study of morals, it only seeks facts about how things work, and why.
I know of a great quote, from Stephen J. Gould:
Science teaches us how to build a rocket to the stars, Religion teaches us how to reach Heaven.

#3732 Feb 5, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a marriage in the eyes of God. Marriage is only between a man and a woman.
Yes, many so-called "Christians" have made an absolute mockery out of marriage. The church is supposed to be setting the example for the world, instead many so-called "Christians" are following the world. Christians are supposed to be the light of this world......
Except of course that the marriage of David and Johnathan MUST have been included in the Bible for a reason...

Oh, maybe it was intended to be an example for future generations to follow!

“Only Biblical methods will ”

Since: Apr 10

help bring others to Christ

#3733 Feb 5, 2013
victoria1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are approximately 65,000 same sex parent families in the U.S. and 21 million single parent families in the U.S. Same-sex marriage isn't a threat to your 1950's leave it to beaver idea of "Traditional" family. And it certainly doesn't hold any weight in a same-sex marriage argument.
IMO, the breakdown of traditional family began to happen in the 50's and 60's long before the homosexual equal rights movement. Why are the homosexuals being blamed today for something that began and came to a head long before homosexuality was frequently even discussed?

I did not know what a homosexual was when I an early teen. I knew what divorce was and what latch key kids were well before I was a teen. Many of my friends families had already been through a divorce, and a harsh, hateful custody battle. Keys worn around the necks of fairly young kids was not uncommon, and we all knew what they meant.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#3734 Feb 5, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not agreed. It is a false premise, not backed up by any evidence. Quite the opposite in fact, all of the evidence shows that SSM is just as good for the kids as hetero marriage, all other things being equal.
You know these fundies have no clue about ancient history or the history of their own religion, and they think they know everything.

#3735 Feb 5, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
God is patient and doesn't want any of us to perish......in fact, us Christians were at one time just like you unbelievers before we got saved. I mocked and hated Christians (the real ones that shared the gospel) before I got saved.
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9
LOL that verse you quoted was written to try and gloss over the fact that Jesus was a failed prophet. Jesus claimed that the End of Days were about to start within the lifetime of people standing in his audience. Fail. Paul repeated this. Again: fail. So, by the time someone wrote the Peter letters, they knew that they had to come up with something to cover over this error.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Churches threaten to dismiss staff who wed same... 5 hr Willis 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 10 hr cpeter1313 8,405
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 14 hr huh 32,016
News ACT's first same sex newlyweds worry postal sur... 15 hr Carmine 1
News Space ship found in ice, Hillary's boozing, and... Sat Tex- 19
News UK's first lesbian interfaith wedding Fri Wholly Silicon Wafer 3
News Archbishop enters gay marriage debate Fri Wholly Silicon Wafer 2
More from around the web