Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 Full story: news.yahoo.com 16,103

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Full Story
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3295 Feb 4, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Look AZZW!PE........I'm certainly not one to take kindly to being called sweetie by someone who doesn't know me......and secondly, no child is confused who is being raised by 2 mom's or 2 dad's........that's just idiotic on your part!!!
Why the offense in being called sweetie when you called me a derogatory name I.e. dolt? If you can't take it then don't make such nasty comments.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#3296 Feb 4, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Captain Kirk said, "why does God need a spaceship?"
So He could finally defeat those pesky iron chariots...
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#3297 Feb 4, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Your god, Satan, has already been condemned to eternal Hell and Damnation. He's not there yet though.....he is roaming to and fro deceiving as many fools as possible. He wants to drag as many people that he can along with him to eternal Hell.
You people need to repent and come to Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins!!!!!!!!
John 3:36- He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Wow! Really? What does this guy look like? Does he have horns and a tail? oooooooooooooooo He won't last long around here. The feral cats will get him. People like you belong in insane asylums.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3298 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason these things have not happened yet is because most people know what a marriage is only: ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN.
Change the definition and you can have group marriages, brothers and sisters marrying and any other kind of configuration. Polygamists know that they will seek to legalize their "marriages" on the same grounds you want to.
Once same sex "marriage" is legal we should expect the above.
You reveal your lack of intellect so often. It's not surprising - I've rarely met an intelligent person who is so against same sex marriage that they choose to waste hours and hours on internet message boards going "is too" "is not" "is too" all day long.

Your perspective is so primitive, so malformed - you are so obsessed with "different" vs "the same" that you don't even realize polygamists have a MUCH better case going it alone rather than latching on to gay marriage.

First of all, I don't know much about polygamy, nor do I much care at this point. Maybe one day I will study it more and have a bette formed opinion. But I can tell you it doesn't scare me or cheapen my marriage in any way. Neither do the oodles of embarrassing marriages had by straight people all around, with their cheating and various abuses.

But you're just focused on "the same" vs "different." You think anything "different" all belongs in one bucket, simply because it's different. That's wholly illogical. Your suggestion of "if x then y" already exists right now. You suppose that if gay marriage (x) is legal then polygamy (y) will be. But the fact that you have any marriage at all means that door is already open. x = heterosexual marriage and y = polygamy already. They can already say, "If heterosexual marriage is legal then polygamy should be."

In fact, it's likely many polygamists (especially the Mormons) want nothing to do with homosexuality or our movement. Their marriages are much more similar to yours than to mine.

It's all a matter of perspective. And yours is woefully narrow.
LowellGuy

Central Islip, NY

#3299 Feb 4, 2013
Born_Again_Christian wrote:
Grandpasmurf
You have no clue what a true Christian is. You are not a Christian you support perverted marriage (same sex marriage). I do not care if 50 percent of the population was gay that still does not change what God says concerning the abomination of homosexuality. In fact if only 10 percent is gay then that proves you are not born gay because there would be a higher percentage. Being gay is caused by sexual abuse and emotional abuse on the part of the same gender of the gay person. I will stick to God and his word and he says homosexuality is wrong.
<quoted text>
Abomination, indeed. It's just as bad as eating shrimp. Where does that fall on the great spectrum of horrors? Using words you don't understand doesn't't help your case. It just makes you sound like a kid trying to talk like the grown-UPS. Why not get yourself an education and come back when you're not as dumb as a dumb box full of dumb rocks?

#3301 Feb 4, 2013
Tony,
It will be you in for the big surprise one day when you find out God never made you that way. You made the choice to go into the gay lifestyle no one forced you to like a male nor did they force you to marry a male. If you are that blind that you cannot tell that homosexuality is not natural then I really do believe you are as blind as a bat. There is no sin in telling you to get out of sexual perversion which homosexuality is. Adultery, fornication, bestiality, incest, homosexuality, these are all sexual sins forbidden in the Bible.
<quoted text>
Silly, ignorant child, you need to go back to page 78 and reread the various scientific studies that prove that sexual orientation is NOT a choice but is determined before birth.

There are none so blind as those who will not see...
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#3302 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Look sweetie, anyone who thinks their is mom is man is confused. That's what you get with same sex marriage.
Huh? That made no sense.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#3303 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no reason to think these things won't happen. After all, who would have thought 30 years ago that Americans would be confused about marriage and to think that same sex "marriage" would be taken seriously. Go figure.
...and who'd have thought people with your attitude would be regarded as bigots and hypocrites? Go figure.... you think you're the good guys, everyone else just wants you to piss off.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3304 Feb 4, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
He also penned the advice, "But especially eschew to be EFFEMINATE in your clothes, in perfuming, preining, or such like, and make not a FOOL of yourself in disguising or wearing LONG your hair or nails, which are but EXCRETEMENTS of nature."

I've never heard a homosexual castigate homosexuality like that!
Then you haven't heard much. Closeted homosexuals talk like that very often.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3305 Feb 4, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
You reveal your lack of intellect so often. It's not surprising - I've rarely met an intelligent person who is so against same sex marriage that they choose to waste hours and hours on internet message boards going "is too" "is not" "is too" all day long.
Your perspective is so primitive, so malformed - you are so obsessed with "different" vs "the same" that you don't even realize polygamists have a MUCH better case going it alone rather than latching on to gay marriage.
First of all, I don't know much about polygamy, nor do I much care at this point. Maybe one day I will study it more and have a bette formed opinion. But I can tell you it doesn't scare me or cheapen my marriage in any way. Neither do the oodles of embarrassing marriages had by straight people all around, with their cheating and various abuses.
But you're just focused on "the same" vs "different." You think anything "different" all belongs in one bucket, simply because it's different. That's wholly illogical. Your suggestion of "if x then y" already exists right now. You suppose that if gay marriage (x) is legal then polygamy (y) will be. But the fact that you have any marriage at all means that door is already open. x = heterosexual marriage and y = polygamy already. They can already say, "If heterosexual marriage is legal then polygamy should be."
In fact, it's likely many polygamists (especially the Mormons) want nothing to do with homosexuality or our movement. Their marriages are much more similar to yours than to mine.
It's all a matter of perspective. And yours is woefully narrow.
Actually I'm finding your comments quite ignorant about the dangers of homosexuality. You want to live in your own little and ignore what is going on in other homosexuals who are confused and hurting.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3306 Feb 4, 2013
Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen Jeff!!!!
The Word of God is crystal clear, marriage is between a MAN and a WOMAN!
Not a man and man
Not a woman and woman
Marriage is defined by the Word of God!
Marriage is defined by the state and was around long before Christianity.

Churches can pick and choose and recognize whatever they want.

#3307 Feb 4, 2013
Jane Dodo,
Only sexual orientation is heterosexuality all others are sexual sins. God made male and female are you that ignorant? Male and female parts fit together as one. Man and Man does not. No, the only reason I believe them is because I have witnessed those who came out of the lifestyle stuck in for decades and Christ set them free.
God says homosexuality is an abomination you tell God he is wrong. It is no better than bestiality or any other form of sexual sin.
<quoted text>
The Bible also says that weeping is an abomination...

Ezekiel 8:13 He said also unto me, Turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations that they do.
8:14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping...

That's right, weeping is as great a sin as homosexuality!
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3308 Feb 4, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>...and who'd have thought people with your attitude would be regarded as bigots and hypocrites? Go figure.... you think you're the good guys, everyone else just wants you to piss off.
So are the millions of good people who voted against same sex marriage bigots and hypocrites?

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#3309 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the offense in being called sweetie when you called me a derogatory name I.e. dolt? If you can't take it then don't make such nasty comments.
Why'd you call me sweetie? See, when men call women sweetie that they don't know, it's considered a form of placating someone........and I don't much appreciate it.......so, I called you a name I thought would convey my message....now you make it seem as if you are confused and don't understand......well, I'm sorry, but I already know you have no respect or like for me.......and this was your way of just being a sarcastic snot!!!

Fort Lauderdale FL

#3310 Feb 4, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
where is "gay marriage" in the law of your state?
right next to god, right?
Ah, but gay marriage can (and probably will soon) be added. God can't.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

#3311 Feb 4, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Why'd you call me sweetie? See, when men call women sweetie that they don't know, it's considered a form of placating someone........and I don't much appreciate it.......so, I called you a name I thought would convey my message....now you make it seem as if you are confused and don't understand......well, I'm sorry, but I already know you have no respect or like for me.......and this was your way of just being a sarcastic snot!!!
You were the one who called me an offensive name. I never called you such an offensive name even though I strongly disagree with you.

#3312 Feb 4, 2013
Dana
No, it does not apply to everyone. A homosexual is in open rebellious sin and this does not apply to them. I love homosexuals enough to tell them to stop or burn in hell unlike you that rather see them head straight to hell. Yes, he did die for them and if they do not repent they will burn. I do not live in open rebellious sin I repent when I know I have sinned unlike the homosexual who practices their sin daily. I have gay friends so again they are also not my enemy. Learn scripture before you spout off that it applies to everyone it does not. Scripture is written to the Christians in the New Testament not to the non Christian.
<quoted text>
Silly child, you are in constant rebellion against what the Bible has told you you MUST do:

Deuteronomy 4:40 Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, for ever.

Are you keeping Passover, Yom Kippur and Rosh Hossanah?

Leviticus 23:5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD's passover.
23:14 ...it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
23:24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.
23:27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement…
23:31 …it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
23:39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.
23:41 And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.

Numbers 9:9 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
9:10 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If any man of you or of your posterity shall be unclean by reason of a dead body, or be in a journey afar off, yet he shall keep the passover unto the LORD.
9:11 The fourteenth day of the second month at even they shall keep it, and eat it with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.
9:12 They shall leave none of it unto the morning, nor break any bone of it: according to all the ordinances of the passover they shall keep it.
9:13 But the man that is clean, and is not in a journey, and forbeareth to keep the passover, even the same soul shall be cut off from among his people: because he brought not the offering of the LORD in his appointed season, that man shall bear his sin.
9:14 And if a stranger shall sojourn among you, and will keep the passover unto the LORD; according to the ordinance of the passover, and according to the manner thereof, so shall he do: ye shall have one ordinance, both for the stranger, and for him that was born in the land.

No discretion here, these are things that were commanded to be done FOR EVER!

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#3313 Feb 4, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, but gay marriage can (and probably will soon) be added. God can't.
The U.S. doesn't even make the top 5 free-est countries in the world, one reason being the marriage issue.

Thankfully, it's just a matter of time.

#3314 Feb 4, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
So are the millions of good people who voted against same sex marriage bigots and hypocrites?
Good people don't support bigoted policies. Bigots are not good people. But they can learn to be good, if they try...

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#3315 Feb 4, 2013
Lets get to the real issue. People who.are soooo against homosexuality have their own issues. One day when it is your loved one, that matters to you and you find out they are gay you will have 2 options. Love them or bible beat them. I hope for THEIR sake you choose love them. If you choose not to, its your loss, not theirs. I am Mormon, I am Christian. People are BORN gay. Your hate is not Christian. Tell yourself whatever you need to , to be able to sleep at night. My Daddy was not a fan of organized religion, because of the very people we see here who call themselves Christian. You shame our heavenly father when you make the gay community an outcast. YOU are the problem, not the lgbt community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Jeb Bush 'evolving' on same-sex marriage and... 7 min Mitt s Baptism of... 168
Gay community celebrating judge's lift on same ... 10 min Mitt s Baptism of... 7
Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 13 min Sherlayne 1,119
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 13 min QUITTNER Mar 3 2015 655
Texas lawmaker married five times files error-f... 45 min Cottage cheese legs 31
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 46 min Belle Sexton 29,830
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Mother Superior 51,360
More from around the web