Demonstrators Gather before Supreme C...

Demonstrators Gather before Supreme Court Decision on Marriage

There are 80 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 24, 2013, titled Demonstrators Gather before Supreme Court Decision on Marriage. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Tuesday night, people took to the steps of the federal courthouse in support of same-sex marriage, as the nation's high court prepares to make a landmark decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

common sense

Wytheville, VA

#43 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
If you read the bible and you think it says gay marriage should be illegal, that's nice ! But you might also want to read the Constitution, which says your religion doesn't get to make laws in this country . Separation of church and state, it's pretty great !
there are also many non theists who are against gay marriage. I actually think they should be able to have the same benefits as heterosexual couples. But this attempt to paint christians as ignorant and the only group of people who don't want this is petty and pretty willfully ignorant.
Native

Charlottesville, VA

#44 Mar 27, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you show where in the Bible you get this from and what the context is? Or are you just cherry picking, spinning, and trying to be ignorant?
All of the above is the best answer. Note the theme of the scenarios.....all Male & Female! Not a mention of same gender joining as in those who practice batter lapping or split licking on each other!
Outspoken Atheist

Moneta, VA

#45 Mar 27, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
there are also many non theists who are against gay marriage. I actually think they should be able to have the same benefits as heterosexual couples. But this attempt to paint christians as ignorant and the only group of people who don't want this is petty and pretty willfully ignorant.
I need not bother trying to paint Christians as ignorant, they already do a fine job on their own !
common sense

Wytheville, VA

#46 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I need not bother trying to paint Christians as ignorant, they already do a fine job on their own !
said the open minded enlightened atheist :)
Really

Charlottesville, VA

#47 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you'll fall well short on many fronts! God Bless You for thinking about the Christians!
Outspoken Atheist

Moneta, VA

#48 Mar 27, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
you are right, those are all mentioned in the bible. However, it is quite a leap to say the a descriptive occurrence in the bible is the same as a biblical definition of marriage. Plus,in a lot of those situations it is clear from the text that it was a poor choice and clearly it is not beneficial.
Well the way I look at it is this, either take the whole book literally or simply toss it all out as fantasy, either way it has no place here in reality in 2013 !
Get Real

Washington, DC

#49 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
If you read the bible and you think it says gay marriage should be illegal, that's nice ! But you might also want to read the Constitution, which says your religion doesn't get to make laws in this country . Separation of church and state, it's pretty great !
I have actually read the Bible & the U.S. Constitution. The references you have listed are not condoned by God or Jesus, and as was pointed out by another - are male/female.

The U.S. Constitution does not provide separation of church/state - that was the personal reflection of a couple of the founders. While we're on the subject, Federal courts have interpreted the U.S. Constitution to place some limits on states' ability to restrict access to marriage, but the Consitution itself does not provide explicit rights for gay marriage.

You can try to re-write history all you want, but facts are facts. Definition: Marriage = 1x man + 1x woman. Gay couples can have a civil union with the exact same "rights" as straight couples, but unless the definition of marriage is changed...it is what it is.
Get Real

Washington, DC

#50 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the way I look at it is this, either take the whole book literally or simply toss it all out as fantasy, either way it has no place here in reality in 2013 !
The Bible may have no place for you, but it does for billions of others...it's also the most read, and highest seller of all time - bet that really pisses you off! Wanna know the next best seller/most read? The Quron (followed by the Torrah)...man you must be having a tough day...pity.
What

Ava, MO

#52 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean everyone who believes the bible and cherry picks what it says about marriage. You see you are failing to mention the other forms of marriage mentioned in the bible, so to be fair I am going to list them here:
1. Marriage between one man & one woman
2. Marriage between one man & his rape victim
3. Marriage between one man, one woman & her slaves
4. Marriage between one man, one woman & his concubines
5. Marriage between one man & his brother's widow
6. Marriage between one Male soldier & the virgin POW of his choice.
There now you have the complete list of biblical defined marriages , but the good news is the bible is just a old fictional book with no bearing whatsoever on reality, unless of course you agree with all forms of biblical marriage and feel they should all be legitimate.
The Word of the Lord is fullfilled each and every day,in fact your nonsense post even fullfills what the Lord said people would become in the end times. Praise the Lord!
kcuh

Charlottesville, VA

#53 Mar 27, 2013
Tiffany Anne Shifflett wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait! I haven't fully processed Huck is a Guy....now you infer that he loves other guys???? OMG!
huck isnt sure which side he bats from. it changes from day to day!! he just likes to have a spirited debate then he decides which side feels right or what racheal maddow e-mails him to post!! have you met his lover honda civic?
common sense

Wytheville, VA

#54 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
at least you're consistent. I disagree with you about it's place in reality, but that's prob not a surprise.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#55 Mar 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Wait! I haven't fully processed Huck is a Guy....now you infer that he loves other guys???? OMG!
you turn me on Tiffany...oh wait, shifflett
Tiffany Anne Shifflett

Charlottesville, VA

#56 Mar 27, 2013
not a libtard wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry huck i forgot you like to play hide the weinee with your boyfriends!! not to mention you dont believe in personal rights!! at least for today anyhow -- tomorrow?? we will see how the wind blows (like you)
OMG! And now you want to describe what goes on between them. This is so over the top....am so glad you enlightened me. I may never process that Huck bears balls!
Tiffany Anne Shifflett

Charlottesville, VA

#57 Mar 27, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
you turn me on Tiffany...oh wait, shifflett
Sweetie....from what I'm hearing...your switch gets flicked from the other direction and I just can't bear the thought of you coming to me with batter on your breath!
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#58 Mar 27, 2013
<quoted text>
OMG! And now you want to describe what goes on between them. This is so over the top....am so glad you enlightened me. I may never process that Huck bears balls!
I luv it when you talk dirty like that!
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#59 Mar 27, 2013
kcuh wrote:
<quoted text>
huck isnt sure which side he bats from. it changes from day to day!! he just likes to have a spirited debate then he decides which side feels right or what racheal maddow e-mails him to post!! have you met his lover honda civic?
you pegged me libtard
when can we meet?
Outspoken Atheist

Moneta, VA

#60 Mar 27, 2013
What wrote:
<quoted text>
The Word of the Lord is fullfilled each and every day,in fact your nonsense post even fullfills what the Lord said people would become in the end times. Praise the Lord!
Now if only you could tell me which of the lords said this, was it Mithra, Attis, no wait maybe it was Horus the original Jesus...you see your "lord" was created by melding all the beliefs held in that period, and the book you are quoting was written by man, not any gods...but you have every right to pretend it's genuine, but until you have some evidence to prove this, your point is mute !
Tiffany Anne Shifflett

Charlottesville, VA

#61 Mar 27, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
you pegged me libtard
when can we meet?
OMG! dont nobody say nothin about what de goin do wif de meats!
Outspoken Atheist

Moneta, VA

#62 Mar 27, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible may have no place for you, but it does for billions of others...it's also the most read, and highest seller of all time - bet that really pisses you off! Wanna know the next best seller/most read? The Quron (followed by the Torrah)...man you must be having a tough day...pity.
Sorry to disappoint you, but no it doesn't piss me off in the least bit, in fact I wish more folks would read the bible, especially those who say they believe....you see I know that the single biggest reason why believers revert back to the Atheists we are all born as, is by simply reading the dribble you call the bible...As for the Koran (proper spelling) I could care less about that pedophile's works and that crazy bunch that follow it. As for the Torah (correct spelling) Maybe it would do everyone a world of good to read it before it was mistranslated into what is now called the Old Testament, you see I have an advantage here, my wife is Jewish and she, just like many other Jews, feel the Christians are a misguided bunch since the whole first half of their book, which is supposed to represent the old Jewish laws from the Torah have been so badly translated that the message was completely lost in translation and is in no way a true account for what is originally written. I think it's also important to note that Jews are taught to question their teachings as part of their faith, unlike the bible that demands you either believe or be tortured in the make believe hell, by the make believe Satan, written about in the make believe book. Man you must be having a tough day....pity !
Liberalace

Collinsville, VA

#63 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to disappoint you, but no it doesn't **** me off in the least bit, in fact I wish more folks would read the bible, especially those who say they believe....you see I know that the single biggest reason why believers revert back to the Atheists we are all born as, is by simply reading the DRIBBLE you call the bible...As for the Koran (proper spelling) I could care less about that pedophile's works and that crazy bunch that follow it. As for the Torah (correct spelling) Maybe it would do everyone a world of good to read it before it was mistranslated into what is now called the Old Testament, you see I have an advantage here, my wife is Jewish and she, just like many other Jews, feel the Christians are a misguided bunch since the whole first half of their book, which is supposed to represent the old Jewish laws from the Torah have been so badly translated that the message was completely lost in translation and is in no way a true account for what is originally written. I think it's also important to note that Jews are taught to question their teachings as part of their faith, unlike the bible that demands you either believe or be tortured in the make believe hell, by the make believe Satan, written about in the make believe book. Man you must be having a tough day....pity !
Ugh, illiteracy strikes again. Hey chap, not sure what you've been reading (Bible, Gita or what). Try using the correct word "drivel," not "dribble." Or at least acquaint yourself with a dictionary. I would say the Bible, as a literary work, is the antithesis of dribble. Whether you think it is drivel or not is certainly opinion.

Not sure what schools atheists attend, but you should try a well-grounded, rigorous Christian education. You'll discover words you never knew existed...and how to use 'em!

R.I.P.: Bryan Edwin Smith

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 min Chalupa Girl 12,905
News Supreme Court To Hear Arguments In Case Of Bake... 5 min Lawrence Wolf 295
News Priscilla Presley on Why She Divorced Elvis Pre... 7 hr Rocked the Cradle 6
News How the Supreme Court's Upcoming Ruling in Same... 18 hr Orville 1
News Don't let church ruin your marriage Tue Humanspirit 1
News To Court Workers, Japanese Firms Try Being More... Oct 13 Donald 5
News Amid Evangelical decline, growing split between... Oct 13 Passerby 1
More from around the web