Demonstrators Gather before Supreme Court Decision on Marriage

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Tuesday night, people took to the steps of the federal courthouse in support of same-sex marriage, as the nation's high court prepares to make a landmark decision.
Comments
21 - 40 of 80 Comments Last updated Mar 28, 2013
common sense

Scottsville, VA

#23 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
Face it, we ALL live godless lives, some folks just allow themselves to become deluded enough into pretending they have a god
I would argue we all live god filled lives; it just so happens, our gods are often times ourselves, our jobs, our money, our power etc...
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
.....How's this sound ? the day you can prove this god exists outside of the pages of a story book, will be the day you can say we will all give an account for how you lived your life. Until then, why not try and support equal rights equally for everyone because aside from your biblical arguments about homosexuality I have yet to hear a valid argument as to why two consenting adults who are in love , cannot be legally married.
To play devils adovcate, on what basis must I support equal rights for marriage? Your beliefs?
King Ralph

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Mar 27, 2013
logic wrote:
Oy Vey. Ideology does not make good public policy. Disagree with a lifestyle/orientation/way you come into the world, okay (sort of---another discussion altogether). Violation/obstruction of civil and human rights, not so much. Please feel free to invoke religious doctrine 'til the cows come home...we have a Constitution (more or less) to address that very response.
And this proclamation from King Ralph is full-on hooey:
"I think as long as gays have the wherewithal to participate in a monogamous union, that they be given the same benefits as non-gays. But it is not and never will be marriage no matter how they want to dress it up as such."
Really? Monogamy is the standard? In that case, a significant percentage of us are completely screwed, so to speak--- straight, gay or otherwise. Talk about dressing 'it' up...as much fun as that can be ;)
Like I said, oy vey.
Civil rights are not being obstructed. Gays are free to marry whoever they want of the opposite sex, just like straights.

You can't fudge definitions to work the way you want them to. Like that old saying, how many legs does a cat have if you call a tail a leg. It's still 4, just because calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.

In the same manner, liberal idiots can try to fudge reality all they want to. In the end, reality doesn't care and will not bend for your idiotic whims.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#25 Mar 27, 2013
jonas pepper wrote:
<quoted text>
but do not confuse this partnership with holy matrimony as recognized by the state and instituted by the church
atheists can't get hitched?
damn
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#26 Mar 27, 2013
King Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil rights are not being obstructed. Gays are free to marry whoever they want of the opposite sex, just like straights.
in at least 9 states!
not a libtard

Charlottesville, VA

#27 Mar 27, 2013
I don’t care who you want to marry. My problem is when it interferes with my rights. Like I said, making gay marriage legal is no skin off my nose. That’s your perigative. But if a Christian pastor refuses to take part, or a Christian baker doesn’t want to bake you a cake, you need to respect their rights as well and not sue or defame them. I will accept your right to be gay and marry whomever you choose, if you will accept my right not to be forced into participating in and celebrating it.
not a libtard

Charlottesville, VA

#28 Mar 27, 2013
huck wrote:
This story's been up for an hour.
Where's all the old white guys?
you just got here!! you win the prize huck for being the first!!
Tiffany Anne Shifflett

Charlottesville, VA

#29 Mar 27, 2013
not a libtard wrote:
<quoted text>
you just got here!! you win the prize huck for being the first!!
Huck is a guy?
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#30 Mar 27, 2013
Lead by example eh wrote:
<quoted text>
On your last point, fair enough. You now do not have the right to every demand respect from anyone again. Deal? "Show some respect" - don't even think about saying that you hypocrit.
Hey, genius, our language is spelled out in a beautiful thing called the dictionary. But I know that's complicated--it's a really big book--so you just decide to ignore it.

I think it was either "Porky's" or "Animal House"--two cinematic classics--where an anti-Semite student called a Jewish student a derogatory term: he called him a "kite." Of course, the Jewish kid called him out by saying: "You're so dumb you can't even insult someone correctly."

The word is "hypocrite."

R.I.P.: William Strunk, Jr.
kidrocky

Louisa, VA

#31 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I always love when believers try to say look around at our amazing world and prove to me there is no god, to which I usually answer the same as I am going to answer you now....Can you prove to me that leprechauns don't exist ? what about purple flying unicorns can you prove to me they don't exist ? What about my daughter's driver's license, can you prove to me that doesn't exist ? The answer is simple, if there is no evidence of them ever existing in the first place, then they simply don't exist, there is no proof needed in place of lack of evidence they do. So let me ask, do you have any evidence this god exists outside of the storybook ?
All I can tell you is there are 4 billion people that disagree with you. I suppose the 2 million atheist world wide are just the smartest ones of the bunch. By the way...How many atheist based countries are there? I also do not recall the ground breaking evidence that God doesn't exist. Do you mind pointing me to that scientific paper?

A collective idea or belief is just as real as any tangible object until proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Step lightly my friend. Not all religions teach to turn the other cheek and not all countries is as tolerant (wussified) as ours.
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#32 Mar 27, 2013
BTW, huge protest there. I passed by at the height of rush hour (if there is such a thing in this little town) and there were, gee, about eight folks there.

For NBC 29, now on to the big story...the jump-roping marathon at Burnley-Moran!

R.I.P.: Freddie Mercury
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#33 Mar 27, 2013
not a libtard wrote:
I don’t care who you want to marry. My problem is when it interferes with my rights. Like I said, making gay marriage legal is no skin off my nose. That’s your perigative. But if a Christian pastor refuses to take part, or a Christian baker doesn’t want to bake you a cake, you need to respect their rights as well and not sue or defame them. I will accept your right to be gay and marry whomever you choose, if you will accept my right not to be forced into participating in and celebrating it.
what are you babbling on about, nobody is forcing you to do anything
oh, and just how would this decision interfere with your rights?
please come back when you have something logical to contribute
Him

Charlottesville, VA

#34 Mar 27, 2013
They need to go back in the closet! Next they will want to marry the children they molest!
odom

Charlottesville, VA

#35 Mar 27, 2013
huck wrote:
This story's been up for an hour.
Where's all the old white guys?
Huck loves an old white chubby!
Get Real

Washington, DC

#36 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean everyone who believes the bible and cherry picks what it says about marriage. You see you are failing to mention the other forms of marriage mentioned in the bible, so to be fair I am going to list them here:
1. Marriage between one man & one woman
2. Marriage between one man & his rape victim
3. Marriage between one man, one woman & her slaves
4. Marriage between one man, one woman & his concubines
5. Marriage between one man & his brother's widow
6. Marriage between one Male soldier & the virgin POW of his choice.
There now you have the complete list of biblical defined marriages , but the good news is the bible is just a old fictional book with no bearing whatsoever on reality, unless of course you agree with all forms of biblical marriage and feel they should all be legitimate.
Can you show where in the Bible you get this from and what the context is? Or are you just cherry picking, spinning, and trying to be ignorant?
Tiffany Anne Shifflett

Charlottesville, VA

#37 Mar 27, 2013
odom wrote:
<quoted text>Huck loves an old white chubby!
Wait! I haven't fully processed Huck is a Guy....now you infer that he loves other guys???? OMG!
Outspoken Atheist

Roanoke, VA

#38 Mar 27, 2013
kidrocky wrote:
<quoted text>
All I can tell you is there are 4 billion people that disagree with you. I suppose the 2 million atheist world wide are just the smartest ones of the bunch. By the way...How many atheist based countries are there? I also do not recall the ground breaking evidence that God doesn't exist. Do you mind pointing me to that scientific paper?
A collective idea or belief is just as real as any tangible object until proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Step lightly my friend. Not all religions teach to turn the other cheek and not all countries is as tolerant (wussified) as ours.
WOW....It's been s long time since I read a comment so ignorant, geez where to begin answering all your retarded questions. How many Atheist based countries are there, I'm not really sure, I know Sweden and Finland are highly atheist, then you have to Buddhists which by their beliefs makes them Atheist since they don't believe in any of the god stories. I am sure there may be more, but I don't really care either way. As for your second question, I guess you would first need to understand the burden of proof is on those making a claim this god exists, they are the ones who need to provide the evidence, lack of evidence simply put means lack of existence. Also you didn't specify which god you were speaking of, there are literally thousands of god stories all of which lack credible evidence, but I bet we can both agree that Zeus, Neptune and Thor were all make believe gods, just like I feel Jesus and him/daddy are too. As for your last threat about treading lightly, whatever you say...You see the same rights that afford you freedom to pick a religion, gives me the same rights to be free from religion.
Now that we have that settled, would you like to comment about the subject at hand, or are your panties still in a wad because I think your god is a fairytale ?
Outspoken Atheist

Roanoke, VA

#39 Mar 27, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you show where in the Bible you get this from and what the context is? Or are you just cherry picking, spinning, and trying to be ignorant?
I suppose I could give you all the books and verses these laws of the dust age men could be found, but I would rather you go read the bible and find them yourself, because if us Atheists know anything, we know that reading the bible has made many of us former believers revert back to the Atheists we were born as. Happy reading !!!
Outspoken Atheist

Roanoke, VA

#40 Mar 27, 2013
If you read the bible and you think it says gay marriage should be illegal, that's nice ! But you might also want to read the Constitution, which says your religion doesn't get to make laws in this country . Separation of church and state, it's pretty great !
ArmaLite

Charlottesville, VA

#41 Mar 27, 2013
One word NASTY!!!
common sense

Palmyra, VA

#42 Mar 27, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean everyone who believes the bible and cherry picks what it says about marriage. You see you are failing to mention the other forms of marriage mentioned in the bible, so to be fair I am going to list them here:
1. Marriage between one man & one woman
2. Marriage between one man & his rape victim
3. Marriage between one man, one woman & her slaves
4. Marriage between one man, one woman & his concubines
5. Marriage between one man & his brother's widow
6. Marriage between one Male soldier & the virgin POW of his choice.
There now you have the complete list of biblical defined marriages , but the good news is the bible is just a old fictional book with no bearing whatsoever on reality, unless of course you agree with all forms of biblical marriage and feel they should all be legitimate.
you are right, those are all mentioned in the bible. However, it is quite a leap to say the a descriptive occurrence in the bible is the same as a biblical definition of marriage. Plus,in a lot of those situations it is clear from the text that it was a poor choice and clearly it is not beneficial.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 7 min One Voice Many Co... 31,222
Confronting homophobes 101: Class act lesbian m... (Dec '11) 24 min AJM 13
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 39 min mahz 49,493
Michael Jackson's children Paris, Prince and Bl... 4 hr Len is Disgusted 7
Obamas attend wedding of their longtime chef 4 hr serfs up 14
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 5 hr Benjamo84 24,912
Tennessee judge issues first ruling in favor of... 9 hr Fa-Foxy 4
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••