Demonstrators Gather before Supreme C...

Demonstrators Gather before Supreme Court Decision on Marriage

There are 80 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 24, 2013, titled Demonstrators Gather before Supreme Court Decision on Marriage. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Tuesday night, people took to the steps of the federal courthouse in support of same-sex marriage, as the nation's high court prepares to make a landmark decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Mar 26, 2013
This story's been up for an hour.
Where's all the old white guys?
concerned citizen

Ruckersville, VA

#2 Mar 26, 2013
I agree that everyone has the right to their own opinion. My opinion, and just about everyone who believes in the bible, is that a marriage is a union between a man and a woman. If your gay that is your right but you should not think that your relationship is the same as a normal marriage. There are thousands of reasons I believe this but the most important is the fact that it takes a man and woman to produce a child. Why didnt God just make all men if every relationship is the same?
dumazzes

Altavista, VA

#3 Mar 26, 2013
there you go huck, "concerned citizen" just showed up.
Outspoken Atheist

Saint Albans, WV

#5 Mar 26, 2013
concerned citizen wrote:
I agree that everyone has the right to their own opinion. My opinion, and just about everyone who believes in the bible, is that a marriage is a union between a man and a woman. If your gay that is your right but you should not think that your relationship is the same as a normal marriage. There are thousands of reasons I believe this but the most important is the fact that it takes a man and woman to produce a child. Why didnt God just make all men if every relationship is the same?
You mean everyone who believes the bible and cherry picks what it says about marriage. You see you are failing to mention the other forms of marriage mentioned in the bible, so to be fair I am going to list them here:
1. Marriage between one man & one woman
2. Marriage between one man & his rape victim
3. Marriage between one man, one woman & her slaves
4. Marriage between one man, one woman & his concubines
5. Marriage between one man & his brother's widow
6. Marriage between one Male soldier & the virgin POW of his choice.

There now you have the complete list of biblical defined marriages , but the good news is the bible is just a old fictional book with no bearing whatsoever on reality, unless of course you agree with all forms of biblical marriage and feel they should all be legitimate.
former frat brat

Fairfax, VA

#6 Mar 26, 2013
I got no problem with anybody getting married, why shouldn't they have the right to suffer too.

BUT, are we ready for brothers to marry brothers? I mean if they can't make a baby what difference does it make? In fact if they rule gay marriage is legal then gay couples can't be given any more scrutiny than strait when it comes to adoption.. soIi ask again.. why can't cletus and his other brother cletus get married and adopt a nice young boy to teach their morals to?

And why can't mormons go back to multiple wives?

Like I said I don't care but there is more to be figured out other than joint tax returns.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Mar 26, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean everyone who believes the bible and cherry picks what it says about marriage. You see you are failing to mention the other forms of marriage mentioned in the bible, so to be fair I am going to list them here:
1. Marriage between one man & one woman
2. Marriage between one man & his rape victim
3. Marriage between one man, one woman & her slaves
4. Marriage between one man, one woman & his concubines
5. Marriage between one man & his brother's widow
6. Marriage between one Male soldier & the virgin POW of his choice.
There now you have the complete list of biblical defined marriages , but the good news is the bible is just a old fictional book with no bearing whatsoever on reality, unless of course you agree with all forms of biblical marriage and feel they should all be legitimate.
Good post. As a non theist I believe this wholw augument is a waste. Another injection of the boogyman believers on society. But there is hope. The christian right is fast becoming a smaller segment of our population.
George S

Jemison, AL

#8 Mar 26, 2013
"rights are not up for negotiation"

True, however, this right does not yet exist. The Supreme Court is to determine whether this right should exist.
think about it

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Mar 26, 2013
"Supporters of traditional marriage say they hear that argument, but they want their perspective to be respected without being called hateful".

I agree 100%, anyone that stands up for traditional values are treated unfairly. We get no special protection and it's okay to be called offensive names.
Just remember we ALL will give account of our lives one day.Not saying I haven't sinned, but have been promised they are forgiven.
think about it

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Mar 26, 2013
To the Outspoken Atheist comment "There now you have the complete list of biblical defined marriages , but the good news is the bible is just a old fictional book with no bearing whatsoever on reality, unless of course you agree with all forms of biblical marriage and feel they should all be legitimate".

For your sake You better hope you are right.
King Ralph

Lexington, VA

#11 Mar 26, 2013
former frat brat wrote:
I got no problem with anybody getting married, why shouldn't they have the right to suffer too.
BUT, are we ready for brothers to marry brothers? I mean if they can't make a baby what difference does it make? In fact if they rule gay marriage is legal then gay couples can't be given any more scrutiny than strait when it comes to adoption.. soIi ask again.. why can't cletus and his other brother cletus get married and adopt a nice young boy to teach their morals to?
And why can't mormons go back to multiple wives?
Like I said I don't care but there is more to be figured out other than joint tax returns.
You see, to liberal idiots, if it FEELS right then it is right. The details can be worked out later because reason in unimportant. It's how they live their lives which is why they're usually on their third marriages assuming they're not undesirable mutants or the scum of the earth.

I think as long as gays have the wherewithal to participate in a monogamous union, that they be given the same benefits as non-gays. But it is not and never will be marriage no matter how they want to dress it up as such.
Outspoken Atheist

Saint Albans, WV

#12 Mar 26, 2013
Face it, we ALL live godless lives, some folks just allow themselves to become deluded enough into pretending they have a god.....How's this sound ? the day you can prove this god exists outside of the pages of a story book, will be the day you can say we will all give an account for how you lived your life. Until then, why not try and support equal rights equally for everyone because aside from your biblical arguments about homosexuality I have yet to hear a valid argument as to why two consenting adults who are in love , cannot be legally married.
Lead by example eh

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Mar 26, 2013
he day you can prove this god exists outside of the pages of a story book, will be the day you can say we will all give an account for how you lived your life.

Lookie here, a regular Richard Dawkins you are. Enough with the "god fallacy" mumbo jumbo, okay?

I consider myself a conservative and I support gay marriage because that is what a true conservative would support.
hmm

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Mar 26, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Good post. As a non theist I believe this wholw augument is a waste. Another injection of the boogyman believers on society. But there is hope. The christian right is fast becoming a smaller segment of our population.
Are they becoming a smaller segment of any significance? Or is mainstream media just choosing to ignore them more?

Even if they are, that religion called "Islam" is the fastest growing in the world and is increasing in America - Pretty sure they don't like gay marriage either....
Lead by example eh

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Mar 26, 2013
Lead by example eh wrote:
he day you can prove this god exists outside of the pages of a story book, will be the day you can say we will all give an account for how you lived your life.
Lookie here, a regular Richard Dawkins you are. Enough with the "god fallacy" mumbo jumbo, okay?
I consider myself a conservative and I support gay marriage because that is what a true conservative would support.
Actually I will correct myself - I am apathetic on this issue because THAT is how a real conservative would handle this.
jonas pepper

United States

#16 Mar 26, 2013
Outspoken Atheist wrote:
Face it, we ALL live godless lives, some folks just allow themselves to become deluded enough into pretending they have a god.....How's this sound ? the day you can prove this god exists outside of the pages of a story book, will be the day you can say we will all give an account for how you lived your life. Until then, why not try and support equal rights equally for everyone because aside from your biblical arguments about homosexuality I have yet to hear a valid argument as to why two consenting adults who are in love , cannot be legally married.
you make some interesting points but can you prove God does not exist? just look around you at the amazing world and tell me you do not believe in a higher form.

As for gays I do not care if they want the same tax form or not. let them have a common law partnership and call it what ever you want [subjected to divorce if the partnership is to be terminated of course]. that way they will need to make a real commitment. but do not confuse this partnership with holy matrimony as recognized by the state and instituted by the church and do not allow adopted children to be subjected to such an abnormal up bringing. for these children also have rights which are being forgotten by the gay community.

while I may recognize their existence does not mean I have to have any respect for them.
Lead by example eh

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Mar 26, 2013
jonas pepper wrote:
<quoted text>
you make some interesting points but can you prove God does not exist? just look around you at the amazing world and tell me you do not believe in a higher form.
As for gays I do not care if they want the same tax form or not. let them have a common law partnership and call it what ever you want [subjected to divorce if the partnership is to be terminated of course]. that way they will need to make a real commitment. but do not confuse this partnership with holy matrimony as recognized by the state and instituted by the church and do not allow adopted children to be subjected to such an abnormal up bringing. for these children also have rights which are being forgotten by the gay community.
while I may recognize their existence does not mean I have to have any respect for them.
There is a higher power that exists - a beautiful thing called physics. But physics is very complicated and difficult to understand. I can understand why you much prefer the "religion" route.
Lead by example eh

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Mar 26, 2013
jonas pepper wrote:
<quoted text>
On your last point, fair enough. You now do not have the right to every demand respect from anyone again. Deal? "Show some respect" - don't even think about saying that you hypocrit.
Outspoken Atheist

Saint Albans, WV

#19 Mar 26, 2013
jonas pepper wrote:
<quoted text>
I always love when believers try to say look around at our amazing world and prove to me there is no god, to which I usually answer the same as I am going to answer you now....Can you prove to me that leprechauns don't exist ? what about purple flying unicorns can you prove to me they don't exist ? What about my daughter's driver's license, can you prove to me that doesn't exist ? The answer is simple, if there is no evidence of them ever existing in the first place, then they simply don't exist, there is no proof needed in place of lack of evidence they do. So let me ask, do you have any evidence this god exists outside of the storybook ?
logic

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Mar 26, 2013
Oy Vey. Ideology does not make good public policy. Disagree with a lifestyle/orientation/way you come into the world, okay (sort of---another discussion altogether). Violation/obstruction of civil and human rights, not so much. Please feel free to invoke religious doctrine 'til the cows come home...we have a Constitution (more or less) to address that very response.

And this proclamation from King Ralph is full-on hooey:
"I think as long as gays have the wherewithal to participate in a monogamous union, that they be given the same benefits as non-gays. But it is not and never will be marriage no matter how they want to dress it up as such."

Really? Monogamy is the standard? In that case, a significant percentage of us are completely screwed, so to speak--- straight, gay or otherwise. Talk about dressing 'it' up...as much fun as that can be ;)

Like I said, oy vey.
common sense

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Mar 27, 2013
Lead by example eh wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a higher power that exists - a beautiful thing called physics. But physics is very complicated and difficult to understand. I can understand why you much prefer the "religion" route.
where did the higher power, which you believe in, physics come from? And since physics is part of a larger picture called natural science or natural philosophy how can it be the ultimate higher power? The part is never greater than the whole

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 28 min iamcuriousnow 14,077
News Organization of Arab Student celebrates culture... 1 hr Oliver Canterberry 9
News Lesbian granted rights of 'husband' in same-sex... (May '17) 2 hr Rainbow Kid 34
News $20m same-sex marriage survey underspend should... 5 hr Rainbow Kid 4
News Our latent racism (Jun '16) 9 hr Be wary of trolls 40
News Anti-gay married Republican quits after he is c... 16 hr youll shoot your ... 61
News Free Woods: 19th century community unique in area (Feb '11) Sat Versa Havard Brown 5
More from around the web