Combat PTSD Forum | Also A Live Chat...

Combat PTSD Forum | Also A Live Chat Room

There are 72 comments on the combat.ptsdforum.org story from Sep 20, 2011, titled Combat PTSD Forum | Also A Live Chat Room. In it, combat.ptsdforum.org reports that:

There are many therapies within the mental health profession nowadays, of which most are extremely good and provide positive results for some people, however; statistics conclusively prove that Cognitive Behaviour Therapy provides the greatest chance of success for those with PTSD specificially.

Also check out this link with a chat room with other Veterans LIVE chat one on one or in a group: http://bipolarworld.net/Community/vetschat.htm

Join the discussion below, or Read more at combat.ptsdforum.org.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 20, 2011
Forum and live chat room is good to let Veterans talk one on one. Check it out today....

As more forums and chat rooms open up they will be posted here in Veterans Affairs News:
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#3 Sep 21, 2011
What were the other names PTSD was known as? I know battle fatigue was one of them, what are the rest?
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#4 Sep 21, 2011
Checked out this website. Interesting information here and people who have real concerns. Worth the read.
vetviet

Sevierville, TN

#5 Sep 23, 2011
The Mad Man wrote:
What were the other names PTSD was known as? I know battle fatigue was one of them, what are the rest?
Acouple I have heard of "soldgers heart "and "faint heart'and "shell shock"
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#6 Sep 25, 2011
A magazine called Veterans today has some helpful info about PTSD. Articles, views from fellow vets and more about current issues. I will post the website when I find it.
Active duty military and veterans who think they may have PTSD can call the National Veterans Foundation’s (NVF) Lifeline for Vets™ at 888-777-4443, 365 days a year for immediate help..After 6pm EST, for suicide intervention, a veteran can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK. For all active-duty and veteran personnel, these phone numbers should be kept handy just in case.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#7 Sep 25, 2011
http://www.veteranstoday.com/
Worth the read...
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#8 Sep 25, 2011
The Mad Man wrote:
http://www.veteranstoday.com/
Worth the read...
Another interesting paper with helpful info. Like this one better.
http://www.navytimes.com/
TangoCharlie

Sherman Oaks, CA

#9 Apr 11, 2012
Networking with other sufferers is essential and helpful. Sometimes I'm too stubborn to realize that I may have need, at least in a limited fashion, PTSD treatment. It's always good to get another opinion, or to learn from good resources: http://www.brookhavenhospital.com/ptsd-treatm...
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#10 Apr 12, 2012
Ken1569 wrote:
Forum and live chat room is good to let Veterans talk one on one. Check it out today....
As more forums and chat rooms open up they will be posted here in Veterans Affairs News:
Went to the web site and one thing caught my eye...
Combat PTSD Forum is for Combat Veterans Only who have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
I do not have PTSD and don't know what type of help I could offer but there is a link below the one I just posted for support of family members who want to post what they can do to help.
One point to make is to understand what trauma is and these sites offer helpful information to educate yourself and others. Don't wast your time if you are not in the same shoes of these people who want to understand PTSD/trauma. Educate yourself first and then listen to what is being offered.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#11 Apr 12, 2012
I read some of the posts here and can only offer my own experiences. I do not have PTSD but have experienced trauma in my lifetime. I have a lot of health issues, some of them unresolved due to medical malpractice. My result was that I was having anger issues which was affecting my home life. Some of it was due to medications reactions also. I finally went to counseling to understand my anger issues and I will say it helped. Understanding your first reaction to anger. It is not easy when you are in a rage to see the anger issues building. I have had to learn and see what was happening, when it was happening and what I can do about it. First, don't fly off the handle. I creates a one sided conversation that only you listen to. As the anger builds, try to see what you are saying at the time of anger. I know I have had to learn to watch what I say and how I say it. Then I leave a note on my computer which reminds me to 'watch the attitude'. Then I have to take the time to listen to someone else criticize me in what I am doing wrong and keep my mouth shut but listen. That is the toughest part. Throughout this process, learning how the anger creates its ugly head is the one important issue. If I have to walk away because I cannot fathom what someone else is saying, I walk away and think. Don't put the blame squarely on yourself but try and walk through what the anger issue is all about. If you can't get someone to listen to you, find someone who can. Get a two sided response to what is happening as the anger builds. Get others to understand what is happening. Be heard but also listen to what someone else has to say and if you cannot understand it, take the time to walk away and breath, and then walk the issue through yourself so that you can express what you want to say and to be heard. Learn to watch the choice of words as anything can spark someone's reaction to what you are trying to say.
Finally take the time to listen. You could be wrong in what you say or you could be right. Learn to use your choice of words carefully so your voice also can be heard and understood.
Finally take the time to relax. Learning to 'calm down' from an anger issue is the toughest part but it can be done. Good luck, thanks for listening.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#12 Apr 13, 2012
Please read and understand what it is like to live with anger. It destroys you and the ones around you. Learn and educate yourself on anger issues.
I had an incident yesterday where something was getting on my nerves and I had to remind myself to watch what I was saying and how to say it. I was angered that someone was bothering me and I wanted this time for myself. As the anger grew, I had to CONSTANTLY remind myself that this other person had something important to say but I did not want to hear it because it was interfering with my 'private time'. I had to take control on my situation by listening to what this person had to say and dismissing my anger issues for the moment which was very hard to do but I had to do it! I bit my tongue while listening but there was purpose to this conversation. I wasn't all about me and what I feel. It was about what someone else had to say and I had to listen because it was insightful with results for a solution to what this other person had to say. They needed a voice to be heard and although I was angry, I listened, responded with a educated voice and then realized I helped this other person resolve an issue that was bothering them. It wasn't all about me and my time. It was about a two way conversation that needed to be aired and my issue of my 'alone time' didn't matter.
That is part of the education of life and sometimes someone else needs to be heard, so take some time to listen, it could educate you.
Sadeyes

Kingston, Canada

#13 Dec 3, 2012
The Mad Man wrote:
What were the other names PTSD was known as? I know battle fatigue was one of them, what are the rest?
Shell shock
Rollercoaster

Whittier, CA

#14 Feb 25, 2013
Am I in???? Radio Check!
Rollercoaster

Whittier, CA

#15 Feb 25, 2013
Anyhow, perhaps typing away can help...I am tired of trying to become "normal". I am also well aware that normal I will never be, again. I want so much out of my life, yet I strive for somplicity in its purist form. I think that it close to impossible to want to be someone and at the same time live a simple life. I am like a ticking time bomb! I am afraid of what the unforseen damage that I can cause, if I lose control of myself; I have been ok with not hurting anyone. Althoug, I have broken many things and punched holes through a few walls...I'm tired. Despite this, I feel as if I have the mental strength to not do any thing stupid and or horrible in any fashion. Any other Vet feel the same way? Out!
dude

Garnett, KS

#16 Jun 17, 2013
Rollercoaster, for some reason, your post is the only one here, that makes sense.
dude

Garnett, KS

#17 Jun 17, 2013
Information is old, out of date, NVF no longer provides tele services of any kind, phone, chat, nothing. Unresponsive,
vets don't need educated on anger, we have got that down pat. Need information, intelligence, on how to defeat, and defuse anger. VA is silent, as far as treatment goes.
0341usmc

Vernonia, OR

#18 Jun 26, 2013
im sick of hearing about ptsd. the way society is now 80% of the united states has ptsd. a big % of the vets coming home now cant get a job so they go to the va and say they have ptsd or at least fake it. get off your lazy ass and go find a job and stop feeling sorry for youself. i have old high school buddies that were cooks in the marine corps that get money for ptsd ...r u kidding me the system is all screwed up. semper fi
SMO

Minot, ND

#19 Aug 17, 2013
Is anyone there? This site looks old.
SMO

Minot, ND

#20 Aug 17, 2013
I am so very sorry you feel this way. The unfortunate lack of integrity of the few have obviously created a perception that no military deserves VA. There are, for a fact, those who do deserve the assistance, and I feel we should honor that. When you've lost three limbs, you just may need a bit of help....after serving one's country.
0341usmc wrote:
im sick of hearing about ptsd. the way society is now 80% of the united states has ptsd. a big % of the vets coming home now cant get a job so they go to the va and say they have ptsd or at least fake it. get off your lazy ass and go find a job and stop feeling sorry for youself. i have old high school buddies that were cooks in the marine corps that get money for ptsd ...r u kidding me the system is all screwed up. semper fi
CV Compton Shaw

Renton, WA

#21 Aug 17, 2013
I served with the U.S. Army;4th I.D., 2/8th Inf.; RVN 1969-1970.
I never developed PTSD. However, because I was a combat veteran, when I returned from Vietnam I had some "adaptation to combat " syndromes which were NOT maladaptive but adaptive to the actual combat environment. These included "hyper alertness", a " startle" reaction and thinking in very concrete terms. I cried sometimes when I thought of the heroism and sacrifice of my fellow soldiers in Vietnam. That is grieving not PTSD.These faded away with time. However, I never developed the severe disabling depression nor anxiety that are the hall marks of PTSD. However, my squad leader in Vietnam, who was wounded in action on several occasions, developed severe disabling PTSD. He told me that, although he could take the severe stresses associated with combat duty in Vietnam, the extremely hostile, discriminatory, and oppressive behavior directed at him when he returned to the USA from RVN caused him to develop PTSD. He was actually crying when he told me this.
He actually died of the effects of PTSD and the severe anxiety and depression associated with the same in the late 1970's or early 1980's before PTSD became prominent as a combat veteran illness.
I am and will, always, be extremely angry because of the hostile and oppressive treatment that he and other Vietnam Veterans received when they returned from Vietnam. The same caused great economic, social, cultural, and psychological harm to returning Vietnam Veterans. Read the book by Bob Greene entitled "Homecoming: When the Soldiers Returned From Vietnam" which contains letters from Vietnam Veterans describing the horrible treatment that they received upon their return. "THERE IT IS!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Veteran Affairs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Awful: Another Veteran Commits Suicide After Re... Sun J Sonny Cencora 1
News Politicians demand 'thorough' probe of suicide ... Sun J Sonny Cencora 2
News Our Opinion: Post 49 begins its future with new... Aug 25 Humanity 3
News Disabled Veteran Beaten in Front of Own Home: Wife (Oct '15) Aug 25 Alice Jones 8
News Veteran who died waiting for ambulance ID'd (Jul '14) Aug 16 hoodspins 9
News Vet care delays intolerable Aug 15 fisher 3
Rental Assistance for a Veteran Aug 14 misskittens 1
More from around the web