Heart Disease added to Agent Orange V...
Andy

Phoenix, AZ

#4795 Sep 12, 2011
What is this Peggy # I keep reading about? Can I call it to check on my status which like everyone seems to be going on forever?
John

Springfield, VA

#4796 Sep 12, 2011
Go to this site http://www.vawatchdogtoday.org/ it has easy to follow instructions on how to file a claim. Open the "How to file a claim" tab. Good luck. Know in advance that most of your effort will take a year or more to resolve, be patient. Part of your claim is Agent Orange related, the IHD. Not so the shrapnel wound or Tinnitus.
US in I Corp and 4 Corp wrote:
I served in I Corp and in the Delta from Jan 68 to Jan 69. When in I Corp I spent most nights on a fire base with a 155 firing rounds almost directly over my head while I slept or tried to. I have had tinnitus for many years. I served for 6 to 8 months in the Delta-- in Vinh Binh province as an adviser. Was out in the field nearly every day, eating local food, drinking local water. Usually had breakfast and lunch of local food. Was usually in paddies. I am almost positive Agent Orange was extensively sprayed in this province. I began having symptoms of ulcerative colitis shortly after returning from V Land. I have been taking medication for colitis for about 36 years. I have had about 15 to 18 colonoscopies over this span of time.
I have ischemic heart disease. I am taking Simvastin, Isosorbide, Lisinopril, aspirin, and Metoprol for my heart disease. My cardiologist describes the damage to my heart as mild to moderate. My ability to exercise is greatly reduced from what it used to be.
I caught a piece of shrapnel from a grenade in my right knee. I began experiencing pain in that knee within a year or two after returning from Vietnam, though the pain and discomfort didn’t grow so severe immediately. Gradually, it got worse and I had to have that knee replaced in 1999.
Can anyone give me advice as to how I should approach the VA?
John

Springfield, VA

#4797 Sep 12, 2011
Andy wrote:
What is this Peggy # I keep reading about? Can I call it to check on my status which like everyone seems to be going on forever?
This is the VA call center 1 800 number. Usually a waste of your time.
VetHelos1

Tulsa, OK

#4798 Sep 12, 2011
US in I Corp and 4 Corp wrote:
I served in I Corp and in the Delta from Jan 68 to Jan 69. When in I Corp I spent most nights on a fire base with a 155 firing rounds almost directly over my head while I slept or tried to. I have had tinnitus for many years. I served for 6 to 8 months in the Delta-- in Vinh Binh province as an adviser. Was out in the field nearly every day, eating local food, drinking local water. Usually had breakfast and lunch of local food. Was usually in paddies. I am almost positive Agent Orange was extensively sprayed in this province. I began having symptoms of ulcerative colitis shortly after returning from V Land. I have been taking medication for colitis for about 36 years. I have had about 15 to 18 colonoscopies over this span of time.
I have ischemic heart disease. I am taking Simvastin, Isosorbide, Lisinopril, aspirin, and Metoprol for my heart disease. My cardiologist describes the damage to my heart as mild to moderate. My ability to exercise is greatly reduced from what it used to be.
I caught a piece of shrapnel from a grenade in my right knee. I began experiencing pain in that knee within a year or two after returning from Vietnam, though the pain and discomfort didn’t grow so severe immediately. Gradually, it got worse and I had to have that knee replaced in 1999.
Can anyone give me advice as to how I should approach the VA?
first i would talk to a VA rep at your local VA Hospital or see a rep. at your local VFW or DAV. You can file ON LINE but have all your information orders - medical paper work - Dr's notes on what is wrong with you back to when you got out and medical information today NOW - meds your on NOW - status of your health - the list goes on and on - The VARO will get all your medical reports if you have been going to the VA for medical? The VARO will also send you to a Dr. to have you checked out for ALL your claiming - You will see a C&P Dr. the VA pays for but work for the VA. Keep in mind the VARO does not go by just what the VA Dr's say they also go by what the C&P Dr. says in his or her reports that go back to your VARO. Nothing is the VA is easy or cut and dry!
The quick claims today on LINE do move faster but with ALL the men coming home daily for our wars it is putting the VA on the long list of delays.Also the IHD claims for Agent Orange - Just go file the quicker you get a claim on the quicker you will see a C&P Dr. and get some answers!

But see a VA Rep. soon - do not delay

Wish you much luck:
VetHelos1

Tulsa, OK

#4799 Sep 12, 2011
John wrote:
<quoted text>
VA call center is OK but and BIG BUT if they do not have information they read from a script - I would only call ever two months to get information as your claim does not work that fast and moves to different departments -
I find calling every two months or so works best on how MY claim is going and if they need any other information.........
OTHER BROTHER

Uniontown, PA

#4800 Sep 12, 2011
Vet

North Charleston, SC

#4802 Sep 12, 2011
The number for "Peggy" is 1-800-827-1000
HAl

New York, NY

#4803 Sep 13, 2011
Notice.....August 30 th was the final deadline date to have filed for agent orange diseases!
Veterans with health issues related or connected
to past claims to AO already paid ,can file
claims associated to prior paid claims.
Note when health issues to past paid claims get worse and validated by authorized medical doctors
then a claim can be entered with entitlement by
VA rules and laws. Veterans must place a claim
number on the top right corner of every paper
submitted to VA claim department.
MHH11

United States

#4804 Sep 13, 2011
Vietnam-era veterans who have medical diagnoses for three presumptive conditions related to Agent Orange exposure need to file their disability claims with the Department of Veterans Affairs by Aug. 30 in order to qualify for up to one year of retroactive benefits. The three diseases are ischemic heart disease, hairy cell and other B-cell leukemias, and Parkinson's disease. Veterans can file for disability claims online at VA's Agent Orange Fast Track Claims Processing System.
AZ Viet Vet

Sterling, IL

#4805 Sep 13, 2011
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to get into ebenifits, it works quite well
ChuckPie

Phoenix, AZ

#4806 Sep 16, 2011
Another VA delay. My claim has been in rating for a little over 6 months. The problem is if they had it correct the first time (in March) it would not be in the system at all. I guess I am in the 16% because according to to the VA their rate of correct evaluations is 84%. I am not sure it is that high, at least in the Phoenix, AZ regional area. From what I have read they are at the bottom of the regional offices when giving correct evaluations. Oh, well I guess a lot of us are in the same situation.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#4807 Sep 16, 2011
ChuckPie wrote:
Another VA delay. My claim has been in rating for a little over 6 months. The problem is if they had it correct the first time (in March) it would not be in the system at all. I guess I am in the 16% because according to to the VA their rate of correct evaluations is 84%. I am not sure it is that high, at least in the Phoenix, AZ regional area. From what I have read they are at the bottom of the regional offices when giving correct evaluations. Oh, well I guess a lot of us are in the same situation.
Chuck --------- If you feel it's stuck? your claim try and find out WHY?
You can also (and it works) call your local Congressman or woman and ask them to check on your claim! Many have and it does work!
If your claim is for IHD most on the forum here have been getting 30% to 60% service connection - very few with 100%-
You can write VARO by IRIS email saystem or just give a call back see if you can find out is it medical reasons for the hang up or???

If nothing happens soon I would give a call to your Congressman or even your senator as they can help.

Best of Luck

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#4808 Sep 16, 2011
I talked to a VSO today. Showed him my papers and he called VA local office. Rep said she would check on my claim and call back. She called and said she was told it was in pending. Does anyone know what phase this is? I thought it was Developement ---rating-- and notification. What does pending mean?
Coco48

United States

#4809 Sep 17, 2011
My father is a vietnam vet he passed away in 1995 at age 48, me and my siblings recieved a letter stating we may be intitled to retro pay. Could anyone tell me how long the process is, it is in decision phase as of aug.15,2011. Out of waco, tx. And it is a nehmer claim. But dont no how far back. I Dont know when my father 1st filed his claim. How can I find out when my father first filed. First time writting in the forum,but I have been reading post on here for bout two months now. But havnt seen much on here bout dependents of a viet. Vet. Thank you all all for listening. And my I say I have leared along from ken,al,donnella,lou&others Thanks again :•) coco48 daughter of vietnam vet.
Coco48

United States

#4810 Sep 17, 2011
Correction- Learned alot......( Above post)
John

Springfield, VA

#4811 Sep 18, 2011
Coco48 wrote:
My father is a vietnam vet he passed away in 1995 at age 48, me and my siblings recieved a letter stating we may be intitled to retro pay. Could anyone tell me how long the process is, it is in decision phase as of aug.15,2011. Out of waco, tx. And it is a nehmer claim. But dont no how far back. I Dont know when my father 1st filed his claim. How can I find out when my father first filed. First time writting in the forum,but I have been reading post on here for bout two months now. But havnt seen much on here bout dependents of a viet. Vet. Thank you all all for listening. And my I say I have leared along from ken,al,donnella,lou&others Thanks again :•) coco48 daughter of vietnam vet.
First I would look around for copies of any papers he may have submitted to VA. That would be a starting point. Then file a Freedom of Information Act request at the VA Regional Office where your dad filed his claim (might not be WACO). Ask for his C-file. That should give you a copy of everything VA has that was used to construct his rating. Should include dates, etc. They are supposed to respond within 30 days but I wouldn't hold my breath. If your mother is still living, she should consider filing a separate VA Form 21-534 (Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child) and submit it the VA regional office serving the applicant’s area. While child benefits can be limited by age, etc. your mother's benefit is for life if she hasn't remarried. Use you computer and search on "veterans administration". There 's a ton of information handy.
AmmoChief22

Hawkinsville, GA

#4812 Sep 18, 2011
Dealing with the VA is usually a very frustrating experience for those who do not understand the VA claims process. Ischemic heart disease for example, simply having hear issues following service in Vietnam does not automatically entitle a vet to receive VA disability compensation. High blood pressure and strokes for example do not fall into the category of IHD, even tho many think they do. Key elements are..congestive heart disease, coronary by-pass surgery, etc and most important is..the heart ejection fraction. Type II diabetes is rated on how the vet is controlling it. The vet who said he was only getting a rating of 20% does not understand the VA rating system. If the vet is controlling the diabetes with diet only..that warrants a 10% rating. If the vet is controlling the diabetes with diet and medications, then that is a 20% rating..and I suspect that is exactly what he is doing. The VA uses very specific guidelines and directives which tell them the allowed percentage rating for any medical issue considered service connected. Many vets and family members would not be so frustrated with the VA if they understood the process. Problem is..not one is educating our vets on all of this. In my opinion, it is a pure waste of time and money to get a congressman or lawyer involved. All you need is access to a good service officer in the VFW, American Legion, DAV, Vietnam Veterans of America organizations to explain it all and to assist with the claims. I personally experienced all of the same things everyone of you have. Following that, I decided to get smart and learn the VA claims process, their directives and guidelines. It took me some time, however, I am somewhat of an authority on the subject and I volunteer all of my time assisting my fellow vets. I am a service officer for my local VFW and American Legion Posts..and..I am the service officer for both of those organizations for the 6th District of the State of Georgia. By the way, I served 23 years of honorable service, am a "boots on the ground" combat veteran and am rated at 100% permanent and totally by the VA for ISD. I had multiple heart attacks, 5 by-passes, half of my heart is permanently dead and my heart ejection fraction is only 20%. Compare my situation to yours. In addition, I have type II diabetes and am receiving a 20% rating..which is what is should be. Learn the process and it will help eliminate some frustration. By the way, continuing to file a claim because you disagree with the outcome is only causing the 1 million claim backlog to get worse. If you do not have the basis for filing a valid claim, then do not file it. Be part of the solution...not part of the problem. I appreciate all of you as my fellow vets..thank you for your service to our country...

Location hidden

#4813 Sep 18, 2011
Coco48 wrote:
I would start here - Also get in touch with your local VARO - The quicker you start a claim the better off YOU will be!- Claim time wise???? Could take 9 months or could take over a year and half! VA does have time frames for claims to be finished but with so many claims it is hard to say HOW long you will wait. Get ALL medical info. copy of DD214 also any orders where he might have been in Vietnam the more you give the VA the better off YOU are claim wise:- http://www.va.gov/
vietnam vet wife

Bethlehem, PA

#4814 Sep 18, 2011
Husband is Viet Nam Vet with 80%IU PT. Has diabetics, neuropathy in hands,legs and feet.. Also Heart disease which he is all rated for..After he was diagnosed with diabetics, he was told his kidney s creatine level was up.. that was in 2004. In 2009 He had his right kidney removed due to cancer and his spleen from complications... His kreatine level on his remaining kidney is up ... He just filed two additional claims for this... Is this considered SMC....all his medical records have been sent in... thanks for any input

Location hidden

#4815 Sep 18, 2011
vietnam vet wife wrote:
Husband is Viet Nam Vet with 80%IU PT. Has diabetics, neuropathy in hands,legs and feet.. Also Heart disease which he is all rated for..After he was diagnosed with diabetics, he was told his kidney s creatine level was up.. that was in 2004. In 2009 He had his right kidney removed due to cancer and his spleen from complications... His kreatine level on his remaining kidney is up ... He just filed two additional claims for this... Is this considered SMC....all his medical records have been sent in... thanks for any input
YES it would be SMC.... But keep in mind about the VA fUZZY MATH - He is at 80% now and I am sure does not work and can't so he could file for 100% unfit for work cause of medical and service connected - Now the VARO could give him 30% more for Kidney and or even give 40% more ove the 100%- There is NO way to tell what they will give or have to give.
It all takes time and many eyes to go over his medical file - they may also request a C&P Dr. the VA uses to test him and or just look over his file then report back to VARO saying YES on said medical problems then the VARO will decide on what award would be given.
It could take 9 months to a year or more to get answers and his award.

Wish you the best of luck and thank for his service

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Veteran Affairs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
REE Medical Oct 18 Reaper1 1
Help a vet Oct 15 jim hart 1
Confused Oct 14 Sarah 2nd Grade 2
Happy Birthday US NAVY, God BLESS our VETS exce... Oct 14 Phibert 2
I spitted and kicked a homeless vet Oct 14 Jeremy 16
What test carries more weight for IHD claims Oct 13 Wondering 1
News Sen. Young wants to eliminate VA's 'system bott... Oct 13 USMCWarrior 2
More from around the web