Heart Disease added to Agent Orange V...
Bill

Colorado Springs, CO

#4774 Sep 2, 2011
John wrote:
I am rated at 80% due to IHD and PTSD and the VA has stigmatised me as unemployable, therefore I get the 100% allotment. I don't feel that I am unemployable and I am eager to work. How can I accomplish this with this rating?
Best regards
John, just tell VA you do not want the 100% as you can still work.
They will drop you back to the 80%

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#4775 Sep 2, 2011
John wrote:
I am rated at 80% due to IHD and PTSD and the VA has stigmatised me as unemployable, therefore I get the 100% allotment. I don't feel that I am unemployable and I am eager to work. How can I accomplish this with this rating?
Best regards
Go to the VA.gov web site and is tells HOW much you can make on disability per year!
If you go over the amount you can louse money from your 80% as well!
If your 100% your getting over $3,000 a month so why work when you can do other things? Go fishing or travel to other states and see the USA.

Just my two cents:P
dennis

Windermere, FL

#4776 Sep 3, 2011
tom4d wrote:
Had a C&P for PTSD last about 20 mins was ask questions personal not vietnam questions. He had one plain paper that he wrote on, no questions on any stressors, said he didnot want to get upset. He explain he could spot a phoney right off. Ask if he had my file he pointed to a stack. He said I was an honest person, my problem was did that mean I was honest or honest phoney. Confused
Had the same experince when when I went for my [email protected] exam for ptsd. one year later received notice I was turned down for this. They said I was depressed. Almost like they have a script to go by.

Location hidden

#4777 Sep 3, 2011
dennis wrote:
<quoted text>
Had the same experince when when I went for my [email protected] exam for ptsd. one year later received notice I was turned down for this. They said I was depressed. Almost like they have a script to go by.
You were turned down OK refile - Have letters from Dr's at the VA saying it's PTSD and ask for a retesting!

As I have said many times here at a C&P the Dr's go by HOW you act to what you say to how you answer what he has asked! It's a word game. From the time you hit the door your being watched and HOW you interact with others.
Yes they go by what the VA has set up for them - When asked - How are you today = not good did not get much sleep but that is some what normal for me. When asked do you have night sweats YES - Do you dream nightly Yes and NO - DO you act out in your sleep? the List goes on and on - Most of the time they will not ask about the WAR itself but if you just say I am OK and doing fine your in the dead zone now!
I am not saing to lie but the Dr's do know what to look for and how you are just by the way you act and look and interact.

Just refile and get more letters via the VA Dr's to have in your medical file and what ever other proof such as wifes letter on what you do and have done!
Do it for yourself and good luck
Harvey Turner

Sacramento, CA

#4778 Sep 4, 2011
I was in viet name from Feb 1968- Feb 69, while serving as a gunner with the 155mm towed guns, something happen to me and i blacked out, they transported me to a near by hospital, i don't recall what happen. But when i came to my self, i was in Japan in the recovery room! They had did surgery and removed my appendix! After the surgery the doctor came to me and told me he didn't know why they removed my appendix; because there was nothing wrong with them. I was in Japan for six weeks, but they claim they have no record of me ever being in the hospital in Tokyo Japan! I was sprayed and exposesd many of times with that herbicides, have a hearing problem, bad back from lifting those heavy 155 artillery rounds, had heart surgery, neck and shoulder surgery.

Location hidden

#4779 Sep 4, 2011
Harvey Turner wrote:
I was in viet name from Feb 1968- Feb 69, while serving as a gunner with the 155mm towed guns, something happen to me and i blacked out, they transported me to a near by hospital, i don't recall what happen. But when i came to my self, i was in Japan in the recovery room! They had did surgery and removed my appendix! After the surgery the doctor came to me and told me he didn't know why they removed my appendix; because there was nothing wrong with them. I was in Japan for six weeks, but they claim they have no record of me ever being in the hospital in Tokyo Japan! I was sprayed and exposesd many of times with that herbicides, have a hearing problem, bad back from lifting those heavy 155 artillery rounds, had heart surgery, neck and shoulder surgery.
You can get medical information as I did years ago is write to the hospital in my case it was letterman general in calif. I did get medical payper work back!
If your in need to file you should do so ASAP - you were boots on the ground you can get award for agent orange but you must file and any medical paper work you might have get it out and file!

Just a note on paper work I also found my inlestment papers from day one - so if it's around it can be found but does take time.
1st Cav Trooper

Chicago, IL

#4780 Sep 4, 2011
Back in November of 2010 I was given 10% for IHD, which jumped my total percentage from 40% to 80%. The original 40% was based on 30% PTSD and 10% for Tinnitus.
About 5 months ago I contacted the National Veterans Legal Service concerning the 10% IHD that was given in 2010. The attorney requested my VA file which was submitted to her in record time. In her review she felt I was not given the correct percentage and filed suit against the VA.
Two weeks ago a VA notification came and it stated my 10% IHD was adjusted to 60% but with no increase in pay, or back pay.
A couple of days later a second letter arrived from the VA stating my file was in Philadelphia for review. Going to the VA eBenefits I was able to follow the progress of the review. On August the 31st I noticed the file was closed.
My questions: Has anyone received an increase of IHD percentage and not received increase in monthly benefits? Or has anyone experienced this situation as myself?

Location hidden

#4781 Sep 4, 2011
1st Cav Trooper wrote:
Back in November of 2010 I was given 10% for IHD, which jumped my total percentage from 40% to 80%. The original 40% was based on 30% PTSD and 10% for Tinnitus.
About 5 months ago I contacted the National Veterans Legal Service concerning the 10% IHD that was given in 2010. The attorney requested my VA file which was submitted to her in record time. In her review she felt I was not given the correct percentage and filed suit against the VA.
Two weeks ago a VA notification came and it stated my 10% IHD was adjusted to 60% but with no increase in pay, or back pay.
A couple of days later a second letter arrived from the VA stating my file was in Philadelphia for review. Going to the VA eBenefits I was able to follow the progress of the review. On August the 31st I noticed the file was closed.
My questions: Has anyone received an increase of IHD percentage and not received increase in monthly benefits? Or has anyone experienced this situation as myself?
NO never heard this one go up in percentage but NO pay increase? In reading in the forum here (Agent Orange IHD) Most sofar have gotten 30% and more at 60% and very few at 100% for IHD. I would if it was me make a phone call to your VARO or 1-800 Call Peggy VA system and ask WHY no pay increase and is this normal or cause YOU field to get a increase in %?
Now a few years back I filed and cause of wonds I had and were service connected I was getting 40% and refiled 9 years later for same wonds and went from 40% to 60% and with more pay!

I sure would be asking some questions on Tuesday WHY...

Wish you luck and welcome Home:
Ray

United States

#4783 Sep 5, 2011
I put on a claim for IHD in March, havent heard a word from anybody then last week My DR got papers from the VA that He filled out and sent back to VA but I still havent recieved any word that the VA has even started the process is this normal?

Since: Nov 10

Chicago, IL

#4784 Sep 5, 2011
Ray wrote:
I put on a claim for IHD in March, havent heard a word from anybody then last week My DR got papers from the VA that He filled out and sent back to VA but I still havent recieved any word that the VA has even started the process is this normal?
Ray,

Give it about a year

Location hidden

#4785 Sep 5, 2011
Ray wrote:
Normall NO I would give the VA or your VARO a 1-800 call ASAP - when you file you get a letter saying they got all the paper work - If you never got such a letter then somthing is wrong!
You need to keep all paper work handy and copys so you can refile or resend copys to the VA. but first I would make a call and ASK where your claim is and where in the stages is the claim NOW.

It's free to find out and do call ASAP - Wish you luck!
OTHER BROTHER

Uniontown, PA

#4786 Sep 6, 2011
bee

Philadelphia, PA

#4787 Sep 9, 2011
Ken1569 wrote:
<quoted text>no time realy as each claim is rated different most cases you will hear somthing via U S Mail in about two to four weeks!
Wish you luck and the best!
My husband just spoke with his Nehmer lawyer and it can by law take 120 days.....with the back log etc If its just a straight claim for agent orange....the first time around took several months in our case...its hard to say
FAfromPA

Reading, PA

#4788 Sep 9, 2011
Just got my white envelope from the VA for Total Disability Individual Unemployabilty (TDIU). With over 90% rated Service connected Disability
(rounded down from 93%)I was DENIED! They said I can work a sedentary job. Called National Veterans Legal Services, even though I'm a Neihmer case they can't help me. My VSO is useless. I want to appeal but would like to know if I should hire a lawyer? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Pete

Battle Lake, MN

#4789 Sep 10, 2011
Ken1569 wrote:
<quoted text>Go to the VA.gov web site and is tells HOW much you can make on disability per year!
If you go over the amount you can louse money from your 80% as well!
If your 100% your getting over $3,000 a month so why work when you can do other things? Go fishing or travel to other states and see the USA.
Just my two cents:P
100% married is $2823 a month.

Location hidden

#4790 Sep 10, 2011
FAfromPA wrote:
Just got my white envelope from the VA for Total Disability Individual Unemployabilty (TDIU). With over 90% rated Service connected Disability
(rounded down from 93%)I was DENIED! They said I can work a sedentary job. Called National Veterans Legal Services, even though I'm a Neihmer case they can't help me. My VSO is useless. I want to appeal but would like to know if I should hire a lawyer? Any suggestions are appreciated.
if you hire a LAWYER it is
out of your pocket! I do know of a few Vets who got a lawyer and it's not cheap! Most charge $150 an hour + percentage of what would be won money wise!

I would try and find a lawyer who will work for less or free for a Vet = they are out there.

YOU can also appeal yourself and have medical reports updated - meds your on NOW - Dr. saying HOW you feel and what your able to do work wise or NO work!
Keep in mind it's how you word it and what your able to do and meds your on that can change VARO mind.
Also you can appeal and also get your Congress person to help - it works - I did this a few years ago.

Wish you luck..........
Billy from Detroit

Carmine, TX

#4791 Sep 10, 2011
Have you filed for social security disability? might help your case for 100% IU I know when I filed for SSDI they forwarded my rating to VA and I was awarded 100% IHD and have a combined rating 160% which entitled me to a special rating with SMC home bound rating. Rated at 90% the last 10% is hard to come by file a NOD and request a DRO (decision review officer) you can present any information that you or your doctor might have to strengthen your claim. Then...if you don't like the DRO's deciaion you can still appeal. hope this helps.
NamVet68

Tulsa, OK

#4792 Sep 11, 2011
Billy from Detroit wrote:
Have you filed for social security disability? might help your case for 100% IU I know when I filed for SSDI they forwarded my rating to VA and I was awarded 100% IHD and have a combined rating 160% which entitled me to a special rating with SMC home bound rating. Rated at 90% the last 10% is hard to come by file a NOD and request a DRO (decision review officer) you can present any information that you or your doctor might have to strengthen your claim. Then...if you don't like the DRO's deciaion you can still appeal. hope this helps.
Keep in mind getting SSID - Social security disability is not easy! You have to go to the Dr's they have you go to and SSID does not go by what other Dr's have stated! SSID will run test and more test - today SSID is getting harder and harder to get for any one not just a Veteran!
It can also back fire meaning be turned down by SSID and reports sent to VA stating you can work or do some kind of work and YOUR not house bound.
ALL agencys send paper work to each other when it comes to medical.

Wish you well
Wil

Colorado Springs, CO

#4793 Sep 11, 2011
NamVet68 wrote:
<quoted text>Keep in mind getting SSID - Social security disability is not easy! You have to go to the Dr's they have you go to and SSID does not go by what other Dr's have stated! SSID will run test and more test - today SSID is getting harder and harder to get for any one not just a Veteran!
It can also back fire meaning be turned down by SSID and reports sent to VA stating you can work or do some kind of work and YOUR not house bound.
ALL agencys send paper work to each other when it comes to medical.
Wish you well
Where did you come up with All agencies share medical information? Even VA has to request medical infomration from SS. Need to read the VA's claim handbook. We are almost into "big Brother" but not yet.
US in I Corp and 4 Corp

Highland, NY

#4794 Sep 12, 2011
I served in I Corp and in the Delta from Jan 68 to Jan 69. When in I Corp I spent most nights on a fire base with a 155 firing rounds almost directly over my head while I slept or tried to. I have had tinnitus for many years. I served for 6 to 8 months in the Delta-- in Vinh Binh province as an adviser. Was out in the field nearly every day, eating local food, drinking local water. Usually had breakfast and lunch of local food. Was usually in paddies. I am almost positive Agent Orange was extensively sprayed in this province. I began having symptoms of ulcerative colitis shortly after returning from V Land. I have been taking medication for colitis for about 36 years. I have had about 15 to 18 colonoscopies over this span of time.
I have ischemic heart disease. I am taking Simvastin, Isosorbide, Lisinopril, aspirin, and Metoprol for my heart disease. My cardiologist describes the damage to my heart as mild to moderate. My ability to exercise is greatly reduced from what it used to be.
I caught a piece of shrapnel from a grenade in my right knee. I began experiencing pain in that knee within a year or two after returning from Vietnam, though the pain and discomfort didn’t grow so severe immediately. Gradually, it got worse and I had to have that knee replaced in 1999.
Can anyone give me advice as to how I should approach the VA?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Veteran Affairs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Moment men armed with bats start brawling in ci... 13 hr Suezanne 10
News Trump bobbleheads? MAGA hats? Federal workers g... Feb 21 USA Today 1
News 24 military medals stolen during California dam... Feb 19 Ashley 2
News Veterans Outraged Over Sears-Army Clothing Deal (Sep '08) Feb 18 Sgt Gronk 8
News Struggling WWII vet gets Christmas gifts, donat... Feb 17 Trump rules 3
Great to be BACK!! Feb 15 Jeremy 1
News Vietnam veteran gone, but not forgotten - Feb 14 GeezerGrunt 1
More from around the web