Pete

West Fargo, ND

#4306 Jun 3, 2011
I do receive 100% P & T. I am also on Social Security. Question is, someone said if on 100% P&T can not receive a W2 or 1099 for any reason or will lose benefits. I am on committes that do pay a small yearly pay, will this do anything to my benefit? thanks for help.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#4307 Jun 3, 2011
Bev wrote:
Received brown envelope on 05/31. We are setup for direct deposit and have not seen any money. Does anyone know how long it usually takes?
Bev - it can be a few days might be monday? Most of the time money comes then paper work and or envelope - Wish you much luck and so happy you got your award:

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#4308 Jun 3, 2011
Pete wrote:
I do receive 100% P & T. I am also on Social Security. Question is, someone said if on 100% P&T can not receive a W2 or 1099 for any reason or will lose benefits. I am on committes that do pay a small yearly pay, will this do anything to my benefit? thanks for help.
If you are TDIU P&T then you are limited on what you can earn. If you earn what the VA considers substantially gainful they can withdraw your TDIU. I'm not sure of the maximum you can earn but I believe it is less than the national poverty level. On the other hand if you are getting 100% scheduler compensation you can earn as much as you want and it will not affect your VA compensation but it might your Social Security.
liberty

Tyler, TX

#4309 Jun 3, 2011
I'll bet the VA is rating almost all at the single rate on retro and monthly comp when they have proof of dependents. Another $#!t way to sand bag money longer. I hope we all get it before General Shinsenski and the President leave. At least they cared enough about Veterans and their families to at least approve it. Still, the VA appears sloppy at best.
VetHelos1

Choctaw, OK

#4310 Jun 4, 2011
liberty wrote:
I'll bet the VA is rating almost all at the single rate on retro and monthly comp when they have proof of dependents. Another $#!t way to sand bag money longer. I hope we all get it before General Shinsenski and the President leave. At least they cared enough about Veterans and their families to at least approve it. Still, the VA appears sloppy at best.
Not sure WHO gets what award wise but I do know some have only gotten 30% and only dating back to 2009. TWO guys I know have put in appeals stateing when they started to have heart problmes.
In my reading and searching the WEB more will get 30% then will get 60% or more.
I also think some VA offices are not digging into the medical files as deep as other offices.
I am here in Oklahoma and trust me they are not turning out many claims at all and what awards they have given out have been small!

I am on that long wait list also and only time will tell what will happen!

Wish ALL much luck
carlos

Murfreesboro, TN

#4311 Jun 4, 2011
I was granted a claim on skin cancer. Received the letter two weeks ago. They said in the letter they are sending my records back to my region. Anyone have any ideal when I m ay receive pay?
VetHelos1

Choctaw, OK

#4312 Jun 4, 2011
carlos wrote:
I was granted a claim on skin cancer. Received the letter two weeks ago. They said in the letter they are sending my records back to my region. Anyone have any ideal when I m ay receive pay?
if you got paper work about the cancer it should of said what money and what rateing you would of gotten and money per month. If it was me I would make a call and check out what YOU did get and talk to a Veterans Service Officer.
xxxx

Brooklyn, NY

#4313 Jun 4, 2011
I justread a report from NAUS.....it said that 45000 A claims were not done correctly and were
sent back to get corrected . If anyone else finds this info to be true ,please give your opinion..thanks...'''''''
Pete

West Fargo, ND

#4314 Jun 5, 2011
Al Buyno wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are TDIU P&T then you are limited on what you can earn. If you earn what the VA considers substantially gainful they can withdraw your TDIU. I'm not sure of the maximum you can earn but I believe it is less than the national poverty level. On the other hand if you are getting 100% scheduler compensation you can earn as much as you want and it will not affect your VA compensation but it might your Social Security.
Do not know what TDIU is only list P&t disability with no further exams needed.
Pete

West Fargo, ND

#4315 Jun 5, 2011
Ken1569 wrote:
<quoted text>The VA does not do nothing for you - YOU have to file for 100% Disability if you have not or do not work or can't work - if you have paper work showing you ending your job for health reasons they will grant you 100%
if you were to get 40% more in raiting then would bring you closer but one does not know what any of us will get and each claim is different! YOU fill for the 100%- But keep in mind any one who files for 100% and can't or does not work DO NOT get any more that will show up on SS - if it shows you made money while at 100% cause you can't work YOU will louse the money and your 100%- Just a word to let you know.......
I am at 100% P & T and on social security,does this also mean I can not receive any 1099's? would not receive a W-2 but compensation for board meetings

Location hidden

#4316 Jun 5, 2011
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Do not know what TDIU is only list P&t disability with no further exams needed.
TDIU = Total Disability Individual Unemployability
It is sometimes granted to a claimant with a single Service Connected disability rated 60% or more OR two or more disabilities combined rating at 70% or more with one disability at least 40%. Usually you would have had to apply for it. In other words if a vet had a 60% or higher rating for a service connected disability and was unable to do any gainful employment due to that disability, then he fits the criteria for TDIU. TDIU pays at the 100% rate. If not TDIU P&T the vet would be required to file a form with the VA annually stating if they worked or not and how much they earned for the year. If they did work the amount of earning would have to be below what the VA considers gainful employment or the VA could withdraw the TDIU and pay at the vet's actual rating.
100% scheduler means the vet is at full 100% for either single or combined disabilities and P&T means the vet is not expected to to get better in the future. There are no work restrictions for 100% scheduler, There are work restrictions for TDIU because the vet is supposed to be unable to earn any gainful wages.

Location hidden

#4317 Jun 5, 2011
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>I am at 100% P & T and on social security,does this also mean I can not receive any 1099's? would not receive a W-2 but compensation for board meetings
Ken1569 wrote:
<quoted text>The VA does not do nothing for you - YOU have to file for 100% Disability if you have not or do not work or can't work - if you have paper work showing you ending your job for health reasons they will grant you 100%
if you were to get 40% more in raiting then would bring you closer but one does not know what any of us will get and each claim is different! YOU fill for the 100%- But keep in mind any one who files for 100% and can't or does not work DO NOT get any more that will show up on SS - if it shows you made money while at 100% cause you can't work YOU will louse the money and your 100%- Just a word to let you know.......

Pete,
What Ken wrote only applies to vets getting TDIU. Your award letter granting you 100% P&T would have stated if you were granted TDIU at the 100% rate.

Location hidden

#4318 Jun 5, 2011
xxxx wrote:
I justread a report from NAUS.....it said that 45000 A claims were not done correctly and were
sent back to get corrected . If anyone else finds this info to be true ,please give your opinion..thanks...'''''''
http://www.va.gov/oig/52/reports/2011/VAOIG-1...

The report identified that VARO staff incorrectly processed 23% of an estimated 45,000 claims. The biggest mistakes involved claims for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
wink1026

Columbus, GA

#4320 Jun 5, 2011
Ken1569 wrote:
<quoted text>Bev - it can be a few days might be monday? Most of the time money comes then paper work and or envelope - Wish you much luck and so happy you got your award:
You would do good to just give your time and help, it will cost you a lot more if they get wind of it.
xxxx

Brooklyn, NY

#4321 Jun 5, 2011
AL i had two emergancy surgeries of the mid section and those were after my 2002 4 bypass
surgery....i am helping my elderly brother in a tiny leftover family store ,that has been failing
now for years. Thruth is my brother has not been
taking a salary for several years in order to
pay my bills and meds....thosebills have zoomed
with the new failing economy....i only go in
2 to 4 hours a day and sit by a desk ,kind of
managing the little that some times goes on
during the week.....my question is that NEHMER rules mention such family work as not considered
outside gainful employment.....would this be some factor,as to why mt Nehmer claim to IHD is taking
so long? also since i am not aloud to lift anything and actualy can not work outside of this
small sheltered environment, am i entitled to schedular comp?some people figured i may get 80%
combined with 60 % OLd comp and 60% new...but
there is a chance i may recieve 70% with the
complications of the recent double 8 week apart
emergancy surgeries...Along with this i was recently diagnosed with Osteopeniaand full body
artheritis with deformed knuckle joints on my
feet .....and those joints are painful 24 /7...
i found out that the addicting pain pills are
dangerous for the liver ,so i stay away and live with pain....lots of BEN GAY rub....i cant
drink any wine as that brings on tackocrdia thats
to dangerous when my neck artery pulsates also.
I do live in fear these days as i quickly age.
anyway getting back to my long overdue claim.,I did
not ask for 100% schdular,but in reading these
posts im thinking i should have ....In a year
and half i will be 66 and entitled to SS if i live.I suppose now i can only wait for my claim
to get done and see what VA does for me...Will i
be allowed to ask for the schedular rate then ,or
is that asking for to much?
xxxx

Brooklyn, NY

#4322 Jun 5, 2011
AL more to my post above....a few months ago,my
cardiologist sent VA the recent formes for most
recent heart stress info...the report shows last recent pre surgery stress test results of 3 /5
mets and LVF of 44%....the report explains
those recent complications etc....the last
surgery .they had to cut away 2 feet of dying intestines...i narrowly escaped a colostomy bag.
anyway....thats the final picture ..and im still
mending from that surgery....i have to eat 2
bags of salad a day and a can of sardines on
alternate days...and still the surgeons want me to
lose more weight....so hard to live this way ,and
under so much stress and anxiety.I think we all
are living with stess and anxiety... ambian
get the sleep going ..and takes some fear away.

Location hidden

#4323 Jun 6, 2011
XXXX,
Sorry for all your health problems. I used to think I had it bad until I read about other vet's health problems.
To answer your question "would this be some factor,as to why my Nehmer claim to IHD is taking so long?" No, there are still many claims under Nehmer that haven't been rated or finalized yet. I reopened my IHD claim on Oct 19, 2009 and I am still ready to rate since Oct 12, 2010.
The Nehmer Rules actually have nothing to do with a vet working or not. What it has to do with is a vet being entitled to retro payment for a past denied claim for a disease that is now on the presumptive list of diseases for herbicide exposure but was not at the time of claim.

The VA will rate you on your IHD according to the rating schedule for heart disease. 3 to 5 mets and LVEF of 44% would warrant a 60% rating. Combined with your present rating of 60% would be 80%. Unless your recent surgeries are service connected they will have no bearing in your rating.

To get to 100% scheduler you would need another 70% to combine to 95% rounded up to 100%. In VA math that would be 60%+ 60%+ another 70%= 95% and the VA would round it up to 100% for payment purposes.

That leaves you 2 options.
1. Ask for an increase in your present service connected disabilities.
2. Ask for TDIU ( Total Disability Based On Individual Unemployability ).
You already fit the criteria for percentage of rating. The other eligibility requirement is that the vet must be unemployable on the basis of one or more of his or her service-connected disabilities.
Entitlement to TDIU generally requires evidence of unemployment due to the disability in question (i.e., employment history or employer records) and medical evidence that the veteran’s service connected disability renders him totally disabled and unemployable (i.e., a doctor’s opinion letter).
The fact that you have a paying job does not automatically disqualify you from being entitled to a TDIU rating. If your salary is substantially less than the prevailing poverty level, or you are working at a job where you are protected from the requirements that someone else in that position would be expected to satisfy (e.g., working for a friend or relative), the VA will not consider you to be gainfully employed. A job with a salary below the poverty level is called “marginal” employment. A job where you are protected from normal work requirements is called “sheltered” employment. Both marginal and sheltered employment are exceptions to the unemployment requirement for TDIU benefits.
Exercise caution even if working as a volunteer. If the VA determines that the nature and amount of even unpaid work that you are performing demonstrates that you are not unemployable, TDIU can be revoked. Anytime the VA revokes a TDIU rating, the amount of disability compensation drops to the level of the veteran’s actual rating under the rating schedule.
You will need VA Form 21-8940 VETERAN'S APPLICATION FOR INCREASED COMPENSATION BASED ON UNEMPLOYABILITY.

Location hidden

#4324 Jun 6, 2011
XXXX,
I wouldn't file until you get your new rating from the VA. Filing a claim for an increase or TDIU now could hold up your IHD claim.
cwb46

Jefferson, TX

#4325 Jun 6, 2011
I was treated with stents for IHD in 2000 and again in 2009. 2 stents the first time and 1 the last time. I had to take blood thinner for a year and take aspirin everyday 325MG. What would my claim for compensation be for? From the date of the first stent and diagnosis in 2000. I actually got treatment and tests in 98, again in 99, and finally stents in 2000. My paperwork states Ischemic Heart Disease in 99. What is your opinion anyone?
cwb46

Jefferson, TX

#4326 Jun 6, 2011
I have IHD going back to 2000. 2 stents in 2000 and 1 in 2009. I am at 70% rated as unemployeable but have no rating for IHD. Will it benefit me to file for IHD as far as back pay is concerned?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Veteran Affairs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US economy accelerates and helps lift Dow to 18K 15 hr Go Blue Forever 2
Controversial VA projects waste billions 19 hr The Mad Man 8
U.S. Army Veteran Murdered in the Philippines (Feb '13) Tue dcflow187 346
VA benefits director fires back at union over '... Tue Greg Bennett 6
Muscogee County Jail first in nation with speci... Dec 22 Cosmic Cauliflower 7
Terminally ill veteran gets his wish fulfilled Dec 22 bac ky big mouts 1
Lucy Perry was here: Her top stories in 2014 Dec 20 Waaayyy back 1
More from around the web