Since: Dec 10

Hoschton, GA

#2438 Dec 29, 2010
John, if you don't mind, in my case I have had 2 open heart surgeries resulting in six by-passes. I have been taking medication since 1984 for hypertension and an assortment of other thing like cholesteral, trigelicerides. I developed diabetes in the 90's after my first open heart surgery. Apparently they have my issue under control at this time, but still can't climb a flight of stairs. When I initially filed in 2005 IHD was not on any presumptive list and they preformed no tests. So I am not sure I would walk away accepting a 10%.
ChuckPie

Phoenix, AZ

#2439 Dec 29, 2010
3pete wrote:
John, if you don't mind, in my case I have had 2 open heart surgeries resulting in six by-passes. I have been taking medication since 1984 for hypertension and an assortment of other thing like cholesteral, trigelicerides. I developed diabetes in the 90's after my first open heart surgery. Apparently they have my issue under control at this time, but still can't climb a flight of stairs. When I initially filed in 2005 IHD was not on any presumptive list and they preformed no tests. So I am not sure I would walk away accepting a 10%.
If you have never been tested they have no way of rating you. You need to file a claim and then they will send you for a current stress and or LVEF test(C&P exam). That will give you some figures they can rate you by. I don't think anyone can say at this point what your rating would be. They will go back to 05 filling date, but my best guess your retro pay will be 10% until your new claim and tests dates. From your new claim date the rating will depend on your new test results. I hope this helps. I would file if it were me. In fact I would have filed as soon as I heard the disease for presumpsation was being considered. Good Luck!
Laura

North Myrtle Beach, SC

#2440 Dec 29, 2010
3pete wrote:
3Pete,
When you filed in 2005, did you submit any medical records for your IHD? If you have an old IHD claim, they are required to reopen it and adjudicate it under the new rules - but you can help your claim along by providing them with any available records to help them establish you condition from 2005 to now. Good Luck!

Since: Dec 10

Cardington, OH

#2441 Dec 29, 2010
3pete, it doesn't seem to be so much what you went through that determines your award. But what your Mets and/or LVEf results are at the time of your C&P test. I had a heart attack and bypass surgery myself, but since my test showed a METs of 7.4 and an EF of 60%, they rated me at 10%. While they did mention the bypass in the awards letter, it wasn't a factor in their decision.
Gary

Evansville, IN

#2442 Dec 29, 2010
Can anyone tell me what the rating for an old myocardial infraction with a mets of 3 to 5 and I have just two weeks ago been diagnoised with arterial fibillation. Thanks
Barbara

Gasconade, MO

#2443 Dec 29, 2010
Armyof1 wrote:
<quoted text>My claim is in Ok also - claim is in Muskogee OK and I have made two calls and all I can find out is my claim is not being worked at this time? I asked why and both VA people who were on the phone said do not know why! They sent a Email to where my claim is asking why it's not being worked! that was before Christmas and in checking yesterday still NO working going on with my claim dated April 2009 - It shows it's still OPEN claim but NO VA personal working on it?
All I get is check back after New years thanks for calling!
We are getting the same answer and my husband's claim is in St. Louis. No one seems to know what is going on and why it is not being worked. Cannot not get an answer from anyone. They said that we should be getting a letter and that was on 12/21. My husband's claim goes back to 1993
we love AZ

Mesa, AZ

#2444 Dec 29, 2010
Arizona Redneck wrote:
I called the 800 # today. The young lady was real nice. She alerted me to the fact that Phx.Va Dept. has their head in the hole. She said I can not recomment anything, but do the Az Vets know their Congress Man. If so, everyone needs to call them. The ratings are being done different,, guess what,, phx. dances to another step. AND they are out of step.
So for you vets who are being reviewed in another state other than Az. you did good. It may be slow but it will pay off in the long run.
Happy New Year to all you Vets and the loved one of a V.N. Vet. "god bless each and everyone of you"
No luck here with the Phoenix office. My husband hasn't gotten a straight answer from them once.
alexy

Sacramento, CA

#2445 Dec 29, 2010
Gary 3-5 mets gives you a 60% rating, Have you filed for any benefits, sounds like you have, anyway good luck, VA has web sights where someone could figure what the rating are, new Sept. Nehmer training guide is out listed in web.
Kathy

Columbus, OH

#2446 Dec 29, 2010
JR Charlotte NC wrote:
<quoted text>
Kathy - How did your husband file for PAD? As secondary to IHD or as a stand alone filing?
When he went for his exam for IHD he mentioned the problems he was having with his legs and they had him come back for further studies, so actually he didn't file a specific claim. In his decision though they attribute it as secondary to his type II diabetes which he receives 20% for.
awjnfla

Jacksonville, FL

#2447 Dec 30, 2010
I got 10%for IHD. When I got stints my DR. put me on Plavix for ever. The VA here in Fla. says they don't give Plavix and the $185. a month I pay is taking $ away I don't have. I am a carpenter and work is hard to come by.Does any one know about how to get VA help ? I know I am lucky as I am still able to work and the $120. I get is a help. I wish all you all good luck with VA ,I would rather have an ass whipping than have the VA in my life. 173 rd Airborne 2/67 to 8/69.
Ex-spouse

Hummelstown, PA

#2448 Dec 30, 2010
Good morning. I recall from reading the posts that when a claim leaves a Nehmer center and goes to the Regional Office that the Regional Office does the notification. Our claim was at the Auburn, WA Nehmer center but IRIS says it has been transferred to the Seattle RO. IRIS then goes on to say:

""This claim is now in line as of December 17, 2010, for a decision by the team that reviews all medical evidence and makes a decision regarding each claimed disability.

After a decision is made, your claim will be sent to the team where VA will check your claim for accuracy, the claim payment amount, if any, will be authorized, the notification of decision letter will be prepared to send to you and the claim will be closed.""

Is this a new step in the process? Thanks for any insight you might have. And a Happy New Year to all.
John

Douglasville, GA

#2449 Dec 30, 2010
It seems to me that the VA would rather let you die than deal with you. I thought I had problems but next to some of these folks my problems are light-weight. I had double by-pass in 03 was diognosed with diabetes and pheriferal artery disease had 2 stents place in later 03 and as of my last eye exam I have been told that I now have cataracts, but there are not bad enough to deal with at this time, exactly how much of your eyesight do you have to lose before they determine that there is a problem. BUT as I said I feel like a light weight compared to some of you people.
jjmatej

Bremerton, WA

#2450 Dec 30, 2010
Ex-spouse wrote:
Good morning. I recall from reading the posts that when a claim leaves a Nehmer center and goes to the Regional Office that the Regional Office does the notification. Our claim was at the Auburn, WA Nehmer center but IRIS says it has been transferred to the Seattle RO. IRIS then goes on to say:
""This claim is now in line as of December 17, 2010, for a decision by the team that reviews all medical evidence and makes a decision regarding each claimed disability.
After a decision is made, your claim will be sent to the team where VA will check your claim for accuracy, the claim payment amount, if any, will be authorized, the notification of decision letter will be prepared to send to you and the claim will be closed.""
Is this a new step in the process? Thanks for any insight you might have. And a Happy New Year to all.
Ex-spouse, This is the normal step for all Nehmer claims. Nehmer claims are first sent to special processing centers for a special review. Auburn wash is one of the special Nehmer processing centers. They are then sent to the regular RO, which is Seattle in your case. I received the same letter. My nehmer claim was first sent to Auburn and has been in Seattle since Oct 2010 waiting for a decision. So all we can do is wait. I really think the VA is processing the newer claims first which are not Nehmer and much less complicated. It makes them look good to get as many of these new claims out as possible.

John
sbroadway

Milwaukee, WI

#2451 Dec 30, 2010
awjnfla wrote:
I got 10%for IHD. When I got stints my DR. put me on Plavix for ever. The VA here in Fla. says they don't give Plavix and the $185. a month I pay is taking $ away I don't have. I am a carpenter and work is hard to come by.Does any one know about how to get VA help ? I know I am lucky as I am still able to work and the $120. I get is a help. I wish all you all good luck with VA ,I would rather have an ass whipping than have the VA in my life. 173 rd Airborne 2/67 to 8/69.
My husband was put on Plavax and the VA did not want to pay for it after one year. I got a note from his civialian cardiologist stating that he needed to be on it and the VA has to pay for it. It is a matter of life or death in most cases. There is not a subsitute for it. Good Luck!! Sharon Broadway
sbroadway

Milwaukee, WI

#2452 Dec 30, 2010
awjnfla wrote:
Ask your pharmasite if there are any manufatur discounts available. Alot of times there is but they just dont let everyone know. So just ask if there is anything they have to help pay for it.
Bonnie

Middletown, PA

#2453 Dec 30, 2010
jjmatej wrote:
<quoted text>
Ex-spouse, This is the normal step for all Nehmer claims. Nehmer claims are first sent to special processing centers for a special review. Auburn wash is one of the special Nehmer processing centers. They are then sent to the regular RO, which is Seattle in your case. I received the same letter. My nehmer claim was first sent to Auburn and has been in Seattle since Oct 2010 waiting for a decision. So all we can do is wait. I really think the VA is processing the newer claims first which are not Nehmer and much less complicated. It makes them look good to get as many of these new claims out as possible.
John
Thanks, John. And here I was hoping we were getting close to the end. Should have known better! Ours is a very complicated claim that started in 1983, so it probably makes sense that it would take longer. I guess I'll get comfortable at the back of the line. Good luck to you.
nowhereman

United States

#2454 Dec 30, 2010
awjnfla wrote:
I got the same treatment after my first heart attack,they told me the same thing and the VA supplied a generic Plavix for one year & then stopped. But after my second one (4 months ago)I got a new VA doctor, I was awarded 100% a few weeks ago for IHD(2 METS)& I'm now recieving real Plavix paid for by the VA because my cardioligst says I need to take it permanently. I am also going to Cardiac rehab for 3 months (3x a week)paid for by the VA.
They waited 40 years to do the right thing but I'd rather have my health back than the help I'm finally getting.
If you are still working then they probably consider you healty enough no matter what your previous health problems were. If you couldn't work because of this condition you could apply for VA Pension ($948 month).Try working with your VA doctor, its hit or miss though but a good doctor on your side can make a big difference. Good Luck & Happy New Year.
ChuckPie

Mesa, AZ

#2455 Dec 30, 2010
Well brothers and sisters this year is nearly gone and I hope by this time next year we have something diffrent than getting results for the three new claims to discuss. Happy new year to all. I will pass on a link to the training guide given to the evaluators at the VA as how to address the three new claims. Link: http://www.nvlsp.org/Information/ArticleLibra...
It is intresting reading, however it is kind of a large file to download so be patient when it starts downloading and when it is done it shows in .pdf format save it in your documents folder to read as you have the time(using the free Adode reader). On page 60 is the workflow chart the evaluators are suppost to follow when doing the three new claims. It takes a while to understand it all and I have my doubts if some of the evaluators understand much of it, maybe thats why all our claims are so slow being done or evaluated wrong. I have set up my e-benifits account It is somewhat informative, however the problem I see is it does not clairfy the claims and appeals very well. For instance in the appeals portion it does not stated what the specific appeal is for and the current claims, we are all waiting for, is a nehmer claim or not. Maybe it will get more specific as time goes by. Good Luck for next year brothers and sisters.
meaty

Benton, AR

#2456 Dec 30, 2010
According to our VSO our assigned date for completion of decision was today. Didn't hear anything, nothing in bank, so I called him. No change in his computer and tomorrow is a holiday. Iris answers always seem so generic but I sent in a request anyway. I did ask if it was customary for the claims to go to a Nehmer center (Lincoln) and them back to the originating RO (Little Rock) for notification and don't have the answer yet. I have most likely been moved to the bottom of the stack because my file is two suitcases full and it only covers 3 years. If anyone out there is hearing about or getting theirs, let us know. Keep in touch and Happy New Year. Yaya

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#2457 Dec 30, 2010
Recent VA News Releases

To view and download VA news release, please visit the following
Internet address:
http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel

Update on Cost-of-Living Adjustment for Veterans Compensation and
Pension Benefits in 2011
COLA Tied to Social Security and Consumer Price Index

WASHINGTON (Dec. 30, 2010)- The Social Security Administration has
announced that no cost-of-living adjustments will be made to Social
Security benefits in 2011 because the consumer price index has not risen
since 2008 when the last Social Security increase occurred.

Like recipients of Social Security and other federal benefits, Veterans,
their families and survivors will also not see a cost-of-living
adjustment in 2011 to their compensation and pension benefits from the
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Under federal law, the cost-of-living adjustments to VA's compensation
and pension rates are the same percentage as for Social Security
benefits.

VA provides compensation and pension benefits to about four million
Veterans and beneficiaries. For more information about VA benefits, go
to www.va.gov < http://www.va.gov/> ; or call 1-800-827-1000.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Veteran Affairs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News America's oldest mayor, 94, has 'no regrets,' l... 12 hr Sonny 6
News Bergdahl trade criticism to top Sunday talk sho... (Jun '14) 17 hr Le Jimbo 241
A History of VA Problems Sat Viet Nam Veteran 1
Vietnam sucked Sat Jaimie 2
Homeless Veteran Project Fri Jaimie 2
News State lawmakers weed out medical marijuana bill Mar 26 Jaimie 2
News Gov. Rick Scott and Cabinet refuse to honor Con... Mar 26 Oh No You Di-nt 8
More from around the web