White House Seeks to Change International Food Aid

Apr 4, 2013 Full story: www.nytimes.com 35

An Obama administration plan to change the way the United States distributes its international food aid has touched off an intense lobbying campaign by a coalition of shipping companies, agribusiness and charitable groups who say the change will harm the nation's economy and hamper efforts to fight global hunger.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Way down, in Columbus Georgia”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#1 Apr 4, 2013
America plays a major role in feeding the poor throughout the world, this is a good thing. Now Obama doesn't want to continue to help AMERICAN farmers in this process by buying their food and shipping it overseas.
Another stupid idea from the most idiotic president this nation has ever known.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#2 Apr 4, 2013
So now you're in favor of welfare?
Handouts for everyone! As long as it's farmer welfare, eh?
Try to stay on message, Hypocrite.
Druid Hills Commando

Miami, FL

#3 Apr 4, 2013
The US buying USA farmers food to give out oversees just makes sense. It's not welfare, why buy other countries food to give away.
Obama's not thinking about Americans as usual
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#4 Apr 4, 2013
Druid Hills Commando wrote:
The US buying USA farmers food to give out oversees just makes sense. It's not welfare, why buy other countries food to give away.
Obama's not thinking about Americans as usual
It makes sense PAY to SHIP that food overseas instead of buying the food that's already there?

You're one of the ones who is upset by government waste, right?

That $1 worth of rice cost $5 if you have to move it halfway around the planet.
It SAVES MONEY and feeds MORE people. Easy math.

I know math and thinking aren't your strong suits. Inventing things to make a scene about is. You're nothing more than a DRAMA QUEEN.
Texas

United States

#5 Apr 5, 2013
Frisbee wrote:
<quoted text>It makes sense PAY to SHIP that food overseas instead of buying the food that's already there?
You're one of the ones who is upset by government waste, right?
That $1 worth of rice cost $5 if you have to move it halfway around the planet.
It SAVES MONEY and feeds MORE people. Easy math.
I know math and thinking aren't your strong suits. Inventing things to make a scene about is. You're nothing more than a DRAMA QUEEN.
Typical liberal, screw America's farmers. American farmers are waking up to the destructive policies of the democrats.
They will cut the very livelyhood of those trying to scratch out a living yet if they close down their farms and let the government support them, then the democrats love them.
Awful policies from the Obama administration.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#6 Apr 5, 2013
Texas wrote:
They will cut the very livelyhood of those trying to scratch out a living yet if they close down their farms and let the government support them, then the democrats love them.
Awful policies from the Obama administration.
Hey genius. This programs IS THE GOVERNMENT SUPPORTING FARMERS!! You're so stupid you didn't even read what is being discussed.

You can't even spell 'livelihood' correctly with a spell check equipped computer. Go home, you're in over your head.

Samuel

United States

#7 Apr 5, 2013
This is a stupid move by the government, if you are going to give food away, it might as well benefit American farmers and shippers.
That to me is no nonsense.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#8 Apr 5, 2013
So you'd rather the government spent more money. Gotcha.
Texas

United States

#9 Apr 5, 2013
Samuel wrote:
This is a stupid move by the government, if you are going to give food away, it might as well benefit American farmers and shippers.
That to me is no nonsense.
I agree, if the government is going to spend money overseas anyway why can't it benefit struggling American farmers.
That is a no brainer but of course Obama will politicize and hurt those Americans in Red states.
That's what this is all about, hurting those who didn't support him in the election.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#10 Apr 5, 2013
Texas wrote:
I agree, if the government is going to spend money overseas anyway why can't it benefit struggling American farmers.
So you support redistributing the taxpayer's wealth to farmers when the same results could be had for less money?

How about the government paying people $40/hr to work at Mcdonalds to benefit the struggling unemployed? Oh, how about the government buying up millions of dollars worth of 8track tapes to keep the factory open?

Who else do you favor subsidizing?
Texas

United States

#11 Apr 6, 2013
Why don't we just buy MIG fighter jets from the Russians and electronic circuit boards from the Chinese.
We could relax all immigration and have a flood of people to do the minimum wage jobs for probably less than minimum wage.
We could just buy all our food from overseas, the cost would be low.
This doesn't compare to technology, Americans must eat and American farmers feed them idiot. Even if 8 tracks were still around, they are not a necessity therefore subject to the free market fail or not fail.
If we are going to give away free food then we might as well buy American food to give away.
That is just common sense, something you just don't have.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#12 Apr 19, 2013
Texas wrote:
Americans must eat and American farmers feed them idiot.
This bill wasn't about AMERICANS eating. It was about Americans paying for other countries to eat.

At least take the time to read what it is you're talking about.

Your ignorance is appalling. No wonder you dipshit always lose.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#13 Apr 19, 2013
Texas wrote:
Americans must eat and American farmers feed them idiot.
Are you so god-damned stupid that you don't know what "international" means? IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE TITLE OF THE ARTICLE, YOU MORON!

“I see you”

Since: Oct 10

CSU

#14 Apr 20, 2013
No, I understand what the poster from Texas meant.
My sisters boyfriend works for a contractor out at Fort Benning and they are only allowed to put in parts that are made in the USA even if those parts cost more.
Even if the grain is shipped overseas, it should be USA grain and USA ships taking it there.
The US Government should give preferential treatment to US companies and use their products.
You don't see the president driving around in a Mercedes, its a US made Cadillac.
You should really try and be more open minded to those you disagree with and at the least, more cordial.
Columbus Native

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Apr 20, 2013
These charity groups have for years been taking in billions in tax free dollars and it is obvious very little gets to the intended people. Greatest probability? Large extravagent office buildings,very large salaries to charity CEO's, expensive office furniture, etc. Hopefully Obama can get the IRS to take away their charity status therefor keeping them from getting so much money(without paying taxes on it)which would put them out of business. Do you know where the money goes when you give it to your favorite charity? You would be suprised or shocked. There are a few who seem to go by the rules but far too many have been neglecting the IRS tax code. It used to be that before you could collect money from the public as a charity that approx. 85% of that money goes to those people that the charity is collecting the money for. Some spend 85% for personal use and give 15% to those they collected the money for. 30 billion dollars was collected for Haiti. If you look at Haiti today you would have to admit that only a very small fraction actually got to rebuild Haiti.I hope this is what he is trying to do.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#17 Apr 20, 2013
___Lorri___ wrote:
You should really try and be more open minded to those you disagree with and at the least, more cordial.
I'm not cordial to people who call me an idiot. Get what you give, lady.
Nice to see you support welfare for farmers.
Good for you.
What other types of welfare and government waste do you support?
Slatman

Columbus, GA

#18 Apr 20, 2013
Democrats welfare system:

US BUYING a product, something of value, from American farmers to send overseas to feed the hungry= Bad
US giving money to the entitlement class to buy votes for the democrat party= Good.

Liberals just don't think.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#19 Apr 20, 2013
US feeding those same hungry with for less money and less waste = good. Tell us again how you are FOR government waste.

Republicans who say with a straight face that they AREN'T the entitlement class = funny. Rescind your Social Security and Medicare before you start calling others 'entitled'.
Slatman

Columbus, GA

#20 Apr 20, 2013
Uh, they won't let you opt out of Social Security.

Its not waste if you are buying an American product, this isn't a hand out.
The US government is purchasing an American product as they should. Your not going to win that one.
The entitlement class are those who take yet offer nothing in return. They feel as though they are entitled to financially supported for life because of the situation they were born in, instead of working their way out.
You can say I am full of it but I see it EVERYDAY, its real. Whats really sad is that they screw it up for the 10% who are legitimate.
Ponder that for a while pal.
Frisbee

Renton, WA

#21 Apr 20, 2013
Slatman wrote:
Uh, they won't let you opt out of Social Security.
Sure you can. Don't cash the check. Show us all what a 'rugged individualist' you are. You're not one of the entitled freeloaders, right? Put your money where your mouth is and don't accept one penny more than you've put in. That is unless you're a clueless hypocrite.
Slatman wrote:
The US government is purchasing an American product as they should. Your not going to win that one.
Did you even READ the article? The US government is spending three times what the service cost to provide welfare for farmers. They will be able to feed 17 MILLION more starving people for the same money. You literally want people to STARVE to throw dollars at special interest groups who have lobbyists on the payroll. How very Republican of you.
Funny how fast all the Free Market talk goes out the window.
Did you read the part where W bush tried the same thing? No, you don't bother to read what you're talking about.

They're changing the policy. I've already won.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charity Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last resort Dec 14 taraevosevich 1
Please help me with college education. Dec 10 Leilani5264 1
www.gratefuldonation.com Dec 5 Andybaby 2
Please help. Humanitarian catastrophe Dec 5 dennevgo 1
Dad breaks world record with giant Christmas li... Nov 30 tell me 2
Please help Ukrainian refugees Nov 27 AlexUkraine 1
Family Library's gift to help set up a library ... Nov 26 Francesco Sinibaldi 1

Donate to Charities on Charity Blossom

More from around the web