Vons Charitable Contributions- how do...

Vons Charitable Contributions- how do I tax deduct and are they legit?

Posted in the Charity Forum

John

Sunnyvale, CA

#1 Jun 14, 2013
In California you are always asked to donate to a charity at the Vons (supermarket) checkout. Also applies to Safeway. When you checkout they asks something like- do you want to give to fight cancer? I ask the checker and manager if its tax deducible and they says yes but get this- they cannot even tell me the actual NAME of the charity and if its an IRS approved charity (they just assume it is). So there is no proof you gave to an approved charity come tax time.

So I am wondering two things:
1. Are the Vons charities IRS approved tax deductible organizations (and if so how do you find out which ones you just gave to)?

2. Does Vons skim any money or "administrative fees" for using its employees to solicit donations? Seems to me they would offer their services via a percent or bid system. How do we know that 100% of our donations is going to make it to a charity?
ftl

Poway, CA

#2 Jun 23, 2013
Good questions. Another might be whether the corporation is getting a tax deduction from your donations. These questions should be put to the checker and/or manager before making a donation, and if the information is not forthcoming, to defer "until the appropriate information is available." Such an exchange would hopefully take place in front of other customers in line so that they might also be properly informed. ;)
Rob B

Anaheim, CA

#3 Sep 1, 2013
Vons takes your charitable donations at the end of the year and claims them as their charitable donations for a tax write off. Thats why they make their cashier so aggressive in this area.
Also, all of these charities, usually health/disease related give to embryonic stem cell research, feminist organizations and planned parenthood. AS a Christian and a pilgrim passing through this life and evil world, I cannot participate/donate in what the secular society sees as 'good things', their charities, their values. Which are values of the world not Christianity.
Vons charity , ripoff, scam , tax deductible

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charity Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donations to Charity Sun Evansfundraiser 1
News Clinton's foundational problem Aug 25 okimar 2
News Rubin: Country club goes from - Yay, us' to - Y... Aug 24 Benny 2
Couple Raising $20,000 To Pay For Premature Son... Aug 18 Asim Mohammed 1
Desperate family in need Aug 11 Dana 1
Add Color to Black & White Art in Lightroom Pho... Aug 3 Andymolly 1
donations welcomed Aug 1 Anonymous 1
More from around the web