Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9206 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

badymary777

Burnley, UK

#8699 Sep 7, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds yummy.
https://www.facebook.com/clay.lovers.world...
It looks like they have a supplier for fuller's earth. Looks like big chunks too.
I really want to try Mavu's clay.
The white tanzania and the mavu clay have my mouth watering.
I don't know what is going on with my cravings, I just want to eat all the clay.
I've been overindulging in chalk too, especially since finding out how good it is when you microwave it.
I want to try to microwave the sargent too, but I'm worried that it will come out too hard.
hiya I noticed that you wanted to try Mavus clay, I just got my first bag a couple of days ago and its fantastic, no grit at all, very creamy but has a wonderful earthy taste without being overpowering. I also ordered some Natural Ghana clay from Soulsister but I am finding it a little too strong in taste.
irena

Europe

#8700 Sep 7, 2014
looking for clay wrote:
this is random but has anyone ever heard of men eating clay? I know its predominantly a womens thing but I dunno...maybe some eat in secret so we'll never know!
yh my husband enjoy eating it
Morales4

Lancaster, PA

#8701 Sep 7, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow that's a lot of money for clay how much will u be getting?
Ten bags
ann

Bronx, NY

#8703 Sep 7, 2014
irena wrote:
<quoted text>
yh my husband enjoy eating it
Has he been eating it for a long time.
ann

Bronx, NY

#8704 Sep 7, 2014
CCL wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats true coz I use it on my skin too. The part that gets me is the reaction of some persons when the find out someone eats clay or chalk... like in this vid with the reaction of her friend and sisters. http://youtu.be/8VfuF5Ig6T4
As though chalk is the worst thing they have ever tasted....
That might be becoz they don't understand that its an addictive habit but it is still annoying to me.
Look at this girl smoking in this vid yet she finds eating clay disgusting. http://youtu.be/8VfuF5Ig6T4
Eating clay is far healthier than smoking but you wont get the same response from ppl about it. Anyway just ranting lol
CCL that is we tend to keep it to ourself. When we say that we eat dirt they think it is directly from the ground. So we need to let them know that it would is clay. I wonder why they call it "white dirt"when it is clay. I guess saying dirt throws people of. Clay when apply to the body in spas are known to pull toxin from the body. Then what is the difference between eating it which also helps with toxin. It just that our body crave it and we tend to over do it.
Facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#8705 Sep 7, 2014
badymary777 wrote:
<quoted text>
hiya I noticed that you wanted to try Mavus clay, I just got my first bag a couple of days ago and its fantastic, no grit at all, very creamy but has a wonderful earthy taste without being overpowering. I also ordered some Natural Ghana clay from Soulsister but I am finding it a little too strong in taste.
That does sound good.
I'm pretty sure I would love the mavu and white clay, but the price is the only thing holding me back. I'm in the U.S. so it would be almost $30 for a bag of mavu clay and a bag of the tanzania white. That's less than a full pound of clay for that price, and what if I end up developing a strong craving for it?
Chalk is very cheap...only 50 cents -$1 a box.
Even mutt and jeff, I only decided to try it because at $2 a pound, it's quite affordable.
But Mavu is not an investment I can make regularly, and with how much I like to eat, I would have to buy alot. So none for me, for now.

I'm not familiar with Soulsista's clay. Is it clay chunks or more like the moulded egg shaped one?
And in what way is the taste overwhelming? Too earthy, salty, sour, smokey, etc?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8707 Sep 7, 2014
Can't wait to get back home and indulge in chalk I'll probably even stop in the way home to purchase lol
Clay_lover

United States

#8708 Sep 8, 2014
badymary777 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, how long did it take for your order to arrive? Mine is been sitting in Chicago since Saturday? I'm afraid it's being shipped to the wrong address. Cravings through the roof!!!
havilahw

Birmingham, AL

#8710 Sep 8, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
You went a long time with no clay. You deserve to indulge!
I decided to microwave my chalk for a little longer. 4 minutes this time. They came out unbelievably yummy and crispy, but it appears that I have to eat it fresh out the microwave to really enjoy it.
I tried to microwave several sticks this morning and take them to work, but by the time I got around to eating them, they were already a little less crunchy. Probably because it was so humid out.
If only there was a way to keep them extra dry.
Try putting it in a ziplock bag and adding a little bit of corn starch. will stay oh so dry. yummy
Curious

United States

#8711 Sep 8, 2014
I'm all out dirt as you guys should know and is miss it already . Ahhh ! I need my dirt . Smooth , creamy , earthy & crunchy . I love how it feels dry in my mouth as I chew on it .
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8712 Sep 8, 2014
CCL wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats true coz I use it on my skin too. The part that gets me is the reaction of some persons when the find out someone eats clay or chalk... like in this vid with the reaction of her friend and sisters. http://youtu.be/8VfuF5Ig6T4
As though chalk is the worst thing they have ever tasted....
That might be becoz they don't understand that its an addictive habit but it is still annoying to me.
Look at this girl smoking in this vid yet she finds eating clay disgusting. http://youtu.be/8VfuF5Ig6T4
Eating clay is far healthier than smoking but you wont get the same response from ppl about it. Anyway just ranting lol
What are the videos of? I'm unable to watch said it won't play in my country
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8713 Sep 8, 2014
Morales4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ten bags
Have you received your order if so how's the taste?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8714 Sep 8, 2014
Curious wrote:
I'm all out dirt as you guys should know and is miss it already . Ahhh ! I need my dirt . Smooth , creamy , earthy & crunchy . I love how it feels dry in my mouth as I chew on it .
Did u say u were going to wait months to reorder? That's a very long time
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8715 Sep 8, 2014
So my pals n I walked into a bar that had a darts game n a chalkboard with s full box of chalk to keep score n I totally swiped it left an extra tip because kind of felt like a thief but omg it was worth it, it was the good crayola which I haven't ran into in ages I've been secretly munching lol I needed this lol
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8716 Sep 8, 2014
Looking at the pics on fb from Loren trail on addicted to white dirt they are amazing I wonder if she's on this forum n if those are pics of what she ordered?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8717 Sep 9, 2014
I have received my Mutt & Jeff and Good Ole Dirt!

The Good Ole Dirt is great - I have had it before and it is the same as I remember; I love the slightly sour taste.

I have been wanting to try Mutt & Jeff for a long time and so happy to finally have it. This clay is very, very close to the perfect clay for me...the only thing that would make it perfect is if it had a bit of grit because I like a slight grit.

This clay is hard, crunchy, smooth and earthy. Yes, earthy! I wasn't expecting that, because the other white dirt I have tried wasn't. I love this clay, and so cheap too!
facefaceface

New York, NY

#8718 Sep 9, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
Looking at the pics on fb from Loren trail on addicted to white dirt they are amazing I wonder if she's on this forum n if those are pics of what she ordered?
lol that's my dummy account on fb.
No, I didn't order those sadly. Just found them on google and thought they looked delicious.
I will be adding pictures from my mutt and jeff order whenever it gets here tho. Should be sometime next Monday.

I'm glad you were able to get a little chalk to munch on. And how lucky that it was the good stuff too!:D
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#8719 Sep 9, 2014
All things clay wrote:
I have received my Mutt & Jeff and Good Ole Dirt!
The Good Ole Dirt is great - I have had it before and it is the same as I remember; I love the slightly sour taste.
I have been wanting to try Mutt & Jeff for a long time and so happy to finally have it. This clay is very, very close to the perfect clay for me...the only thing that would make it perfect is if it had a bit of grit because I like a slight grit.
This clay is hard, crunchy, smooth and earthy. Yes, earthy! I wasn't expecting that, because the other white dirt I have tried wasn't. I love this clay, and so cheap too!
If you have only sampled one bag you might be surprised to find some bag that contain a few pices that is gritty. Mutt& Jeff have been on point. Nothing but good reviews.

Yummy!!
Smore

Lancaster, PA

#8720 Sep 9, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you received your order if so how's the taste?
No I haven't received my order from Mutt and Jeff or Mavu. I am waiting patiently. Meanwhile, I went to the local craft store and found the crayons chalk!! Was a bit weary to try it, but once I did....I was eladed at the taste and texture! Yummy!!!!
I had a whole stick while I wrote this text! Oh oh! I sense another addiction!?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8721 Sep 9, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have only sampled one bag you might be surprised to find some bag that contain a few pices that is gritty. Mutt& Jeff have been on point. Nothing but good reviews.
Yummy!!
That would be great, a real bonus. I have only sampled two bags so far and was worried that some bags wouldn't be as good - so would be so happy if some were even better!

I let my sister, who is a powder eater, sample my clay. She loves the Mutt & Jeff - plans to crush it into powder lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Thinking 4,685
News Shutting down 'shark finning': US fishermen pro... 8 hr Captain Yesterday 6
News Black Lives Matter, But So Does The Truth 9 hr DebraE 3
News Why would Russia interfere in the U.S. election... 9 hr TrumpyHumpyHonkyD... 6
News U.S. attorney joins Muslim community to promote... 12 hr The Proclaimer 45
News Desperate for help, needy post pleas online | T... (Oct '09) 19 hr Posting as myself 38
News Edie's Eatery serves unique pastries, sandwiche... 20 hr silly rabbit 1
More from around the web