Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9203 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

looking for clay

Plano, TX

#8430 Aug 3, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooh it does look good.
Very chalky and powdery.
I'll have to order some this month, although I wish you could get less than 10 bags at once. I bought a ton of DE, thinking that I would make chunks out of it and have a healthy alternative to chalk. But I didn't like the taste and texture, and I got tired of mixing it in with juice, so it's just sitting here taking up space lol. I don't have pets, so I can't use it for that. I wish I had something to do with it.
But I guess if I don't like the white dirt, I can always sell the extra bags on the clay facebook pages. It will be easier to ship than this bog ole box lmao.
FYI. DE is excellent for killing ants. We have something here in North Texas called crazy ants. Pesticides don't seem to kill them. We had a lot of mounds in our backyard. I just sprinkled a layer of DE on them. It seemed like they died overnight. The DE cuts through their hard shell and they die from dehydration. I think the DE will do the same for fire ants and other insects. You might check the internet for other uses.
looking for clay

Plano, TX

#8431 Aug 3, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Health wise when I don't spit I feel bloated & sometimes if I don't drink enough water when I swallow , I'm a little constipated . When I do spit I have no complications . I usually spit in the sink , so yes I only eat dirt at home . White dirt is very chalky & it'll get all over my lips & it's worse if I lick my lips after eating the dirt because of the residue of the dirt on my tongue so it'll get on my lips ... If that makes sense . Also I never rinse my mouth out , I just spit . When I rinse my mouth out it leaves a nasty after taste & it makes me want to eat another chunk to get that earthy flavor in my mouth . As long as I got majority of the dirt out my mouth & out of my gums I'm fine . I don't know if anybody else feel the same about spitting it out . Others may say they rinse after they spit it out . It's all up to you & what makes you feel comfortable
I spit my white dirt too and I have the same experience. It is VERY messy. I spit mine into a paper towel (I go through a lot of cheap paper towels). So, yes this would be hard to do discretely in public. I don't rinse my mouth because that washes away the earthy flavor.
looking for clay

Plano, TX

#8432 Aug 3, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you but expensive white dirt from ?
I got some of it off of ebay. Don't get me wrong about sellers on ebay, though. The best batch I ever had was off of ebay. Shockingly, also bought a batch from Leslie that was just terrible. It tasted exactly the way foundation makeup smells. I know that Leslie usually has good product, it is just that the flavor and texture of kaolin can vary greatly from batch to batch. What you get is always a crapshoot.
crazy 4 stuff

Whittier, CA

#8434 Aug 4, 2014
Oh thank goodness this site is still here the other day u came looking for it and it wasn't working
SAclaylover

Cape Town, South Africa

#8435 Aug 4, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
Hey Clay Fam!
My cravings are going through the roof! I never have time to go buy some clay from the market, there's a lady that sells it not far from where I stay but people look @ me funny when I try and buy it, and then I get ashamed. Also a coupla weeks back my boyfriend made a funny comment about my clay eating habbit, I know he was playing but it made me think that maybe he is embarrassed by it and he is just not telling me because he is scared he might hurt my feelings.
Just wish I had a clay eating friend who stayed nearby, that way it wouldn't be so embarrassing coz wed go together all the time.
Wouldn't it be nice if clay was sold @ our local grocery stores? With all the different types sourced from different countries and neatly and discretly packaged. And we could buy it like we buy a packet of chips?... Sigh.
Hey Mobu Consumer.Where in JHB do you stay? I am moving there beginning Sept from CPT. Haven't had any luck finding it this side, so i am exciting about getting there. Please let me know where you buy yours, and who knows maybe we could be emabarrased clay buddies :-)
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8436 Aug 4, 2014
SAclaylover wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mobu Consumer.Where in JHB do you stay? I am moving there beginning Sept from CPT. Haven't had any luck finding it this side, so i am exciting about getting there. Please let me know where you buy yours, and who knows maybe we could be emabarrased clay buddies :-)
Hey, S.A I actually stay in PTA, but the forum keeps saying JHB even after I change it, I don't know why... But I know in JHB cbd they sell clay, especially near MTN Rank... Also in Randburg near the Randburg rank they sell clay... What's you're favorite clay? And if you ddnt eat clay in CPT when did you start eating it and where would you get it from?
christine inglis

UK

#8437 Aug 4, 2014
hiya, i am 7 months pregnant and have recently started craving earth, anything that smells like fresh rain on the gravel. I tried some kaolin powder but it has a horrid texture, it is like icing sugar, i want a lump of clay that i can chew on. I live in the uk but cant find ANY websites that are uk based, i can only find the powder. can anybody help?
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#8438 Aug 4, 2014
looking for clay wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI. DE is excellent for killing ants. We have something here in North Texas called crazy ants. Pesticides don't seem to kill them. We had a lot of mounds in our backyard. I just sprinkled a layer of DE on them. It seemed like they died overnight. The DE cuts through their hard shell and they die from dehydration. I think the DE will do the same for fire ants and other insects. You might check the internet for other uses.
Pest control was my first thought, but fortunately, I don't have bugs lol.
I live in the city, so no anthills either.
I would love to donate it to a farm or something so they could use it on their animals and around the grounds, but there's no farms around here lol. Maybe I will call a pet shelter and see if they can use it.

I did bury a few sticks of chalk in a cup of DE overnight, and I loved how the chalk came out.
Still very clean and buttery, but with this slightest hint of earthy flavor.
Just enough to make it taste good.
Curious

Atlanta, GA

#8442 Aug 4, 2014
christine inglis wrote:
hiya, i am 7 months pregnant and have recently started craving earth, anything that smells like fresh rain on the gravel. I tried some kaolin powder but it has a horrid texture, it is like icing sugar, i want a lump of clay that i can chew on. I live in the uk but cant find ANY websites that are uk based, i can only find the powder. can anybody help?
There was someone on Facebook on why we crave & love clay & they're selling kaolin clay chunks & they're in the uk . Their email is shinpep@ yahoo.co.uk
smore

Lancaster, PA

#8443 Aug 5, 2014
Has anyone ever heard that edible clay is on the US' s top ten banned items? I am trying to get the gray roasted clay from India and the supplier says that its prohibited here. Can someone please advise? Thanks!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8444 Aug 5, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's always been my biggest fear with buying white dirt, that since it's naturally occurring, you really don't always know what you're gonna get. One batch may be smooth and creamy and crunchy, and the next time you order, it may be gritty and sticky and taste horrible.
I wish the sellers did some kind of quality control as far as the stock.
But thank you for the info, it's really very helpful.
The most recent batch you described had my mouth watering. It sounds perfect.
That's my fear too, especially since it is expensive to have it shipped here. I would love to try Mutt and Jeff's, but would be so upset if I got a batch that wasn't good! That's why I normally only buy clay chunks when I travel, so if I am disappointed at least I haven't wasted money on international shipping.
crazy 4 stuff

Whittier, CA

#8446 Aug 6, 2014
Only had one box of chalk today sargent of course. Still can't believe I was actually able to limit myself to only one I guess this is progress
ClayLove01

Rockville, MD

#8447 Aug 6, 2014
I just bought Mutt and Jeff white clay. Just the right amount of grit and earth taste. I love it
quitter

South Africa

#8450 Aug 6, 2014
I've been reading this forum 4 quite a while now,I ate clay 4 6 years,it gave me malstagia,left hand nd left foot would sometimes b numb,mouth smelt terrible nd etc,I won't tel u 2 stop or judge u cz I've been there,now I get satisfaction by just seeing it,I can't believe its al over d world nd some even pay dollars 2 get it,I'm in SA where its sold openly,Mobu..d MTN rank clay is just too good,PTA one just like mavu's chunks,lol I ddnt know anythn abt crunchiness or earthy till I read here,It does cause harm in d long run,believe it,fertility nd etc bt I hv a baby now,soo blessed,I stopped in 2010,its been 4 years now nd I feel better
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8451 Aug 6, 2014
quitter wrote:
I've been reading this forum 4 quite a while now,I ate clay 4 6 years,it gave me malstagia,left hand nd left foot would sometimes b numb,mouth smelt terrible nd etc,I won't tel u 2 stop or judge u cz I've been there,now I get satisfaction by just seeing it,I can't believe its al over d world nd some even pay dollars 2 get it,I'm in SA where its sold openly,Mobu..d MTN rank clay is just too good,PTA one just like mavu's chunks,lol I ddnt know anythn abt crunchiness or earthy till I read here,It does cause harm in d long run,believe it,fertility nd etc bt I hv a baby now,soo blessed,I stopped in 2010,its been 4 years now nd I feel better
Hey quitter! Where in SA are you from? Did you ever try the red clay from pta? I can tell you tried the yellow clay, didn't you ever feel embarassed when buying the clay from the vendors? Anyway... Clay causing bad breath??? First time I hear of it, are you sure it was the clay that caused the bad breath? Wasn't it something else? Did u ever try any other type of clay aside from the yellow ones?
Curious

Chicago, IL

#8453 Aug 6, 2014
I've been w/o my clay for almost 2 weeks , this upcoming Sunday will make exactly 2 weeks . I've been having cravings here & there but it goes away after a few mins .
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#8454 Aug 7, 2014
Finally got my hands on some clay, 4 BIG yellow chunks! Wanted the red one also, but there was no red from the vendor I bought from... Was a bit embarassing as usual, but it was worth it! I've just finished breaking 2 of the big chunks into smaller pieces, I'm about to microwave them, while I suck on a small chunk of the unroasted clay... Mmmmmhm! Heavenly!!!
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8455 Aug 8, 2014
What is going on with the appearance of the forum!?! Or is it just me
Adaku

London, UK

#8456 Aug 8, 2014
I find the appearance pretty strange... Will need some getting used to. Guess I'm pretty old fashioned about these things...lol

Since: Jul 14

Lancaster, PA

#8459 Aug 8, 2014
Anyone in the USA know where I can buy the gray roasted clay chunks that are from India? I have a indian store that I bought from, but last 3 months, there out of stock. I have horrible clay cravings. I have spent so much money trying to get the right clay. Someone please help. Thanks,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Store hours an obstacle to fresh foods in low-i... 23 min Linda 10
News May Day rallies in Los Angeles carry strong ant... 2 hr The Green Monster 7
News County jails: Commissaries offer inmates a rang... (May '09) 2 hr Someone who cares 111
News May Day marchers take to US streets in heated e... 3 hr tomin cali 1
News School lunches rise 5 cents; 10 schools keep fr... 3 hr Sonora Mexico 4
News Why Is Hollywood Still Casting White Actors in ... 5 hr SeanOsorioLee 1
News Debbie Rowe 'to go to court to gain custody of ... (Apr '14) 8 hr Awotwi 10
More from around the web