Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9018 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7660 Apr 22, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be! I wish she would have said what it is. As you say it is very white and crunchy and it also, from its shape, looks like it could have come out of a pan. Whatever it is it sure looks and sounds good.
(I sometimes can't believe the things I write, gushing over a piece of clay...but I know you all understand).
I definetly understand.I have been watching these two video's over and over,just craving for some clay....Going to the market tomorrow to get me a big batch,which will probably last me about two days..I tend to overindulge sometimes...:-(
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7661 Apr 22, 2014
Suri Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I definetly understand.I have been watching these two video's over and over,just craving for some clay....Going to the market tomorrow to get me a big batch,which will probably last me about two days..I tend to overindulge sometimes...:-(
You are so lucky...I wish I could go to the market and pick up clay, but not possible here.

This island is limestone, and although there is supposed to be real clay here I haven't found it yet. So there is no culture of selling/eating clay, but I had heard of a couple of people craving stone and believe that there are lots of secret people like us here - just recently discovered in my own family eaters of cornstarch and baby powder!
ann

Bronx, NY

#7662 Apr 22, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so lucky...I wish I could go to the market and pick up clay, but not possible here.
This island is limestone, and although there is supposed to be real clay here I haven't found it yet. So there is no culture of selling/eating clay, but I had heard of a couple of people craving stone and believe that there are lots of secret people like us here - just recently discovered in my own family eaters of cornstarch and baby powder!
I am sure their are a lot of closet eaters. Epping Nina looks as if she buys that chalk in bulk because sounds like when she was reaching for second piece they were clinking together. It does look real good. That crunch.
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7663 Apr 22, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure their are a lot of closet eaters. Epping Nina looks as if she buys that chalk in bulk because sounds like when she was reaching for second piece they were clinking together. It does look real good. That crunch.
Yes, I heard that clinking too! I was hoping the camera would pan down so I could see her stash of chalk... I wish there was a way to make my chalk harder and crunchier. I actually tried to see if baking it would make it crunchier but it was the opposite and it tasted horrible.
facefaceface

Washington, DC

#7664 Apr 22, 2014
Baking made mine nasty too. What did help was putting a stick of chalk under the computer fan for like ten minutes before eating. This made it nice and dry and crunchy, but after a little bit, it would melt back down to a creamy, smooth texture and would maintain it's clean chalky taste.
yum yum.

Unfortunately, that computer broke and the replacement is in a weird location, so I can't dry my chalk anymore.:(
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7666 Apr 23, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
So how do you satisfy your cravings??
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7667 Apr 23, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
Baking made mine nasty too. What did help was putting a stick of chalk under the computer fan for like ten minutes before eating. This made it nice and dry and crunchy, but after a little bit, it would melt back down to a creamy, smooth texture and would maintain it's clean chalky taste.
yum yum.
Unfortunately, that computer broke and the replacement is in a weird location, so I can't dry my chalk anymore.:(
I have a lap top so I don't that will work for me. I'm thinking of putting some in the fridge or freezer. Since I enjoy chewing ice too, it might b the best of both worlds.
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#7668 Apr 23, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a lap top so I don't that will work for me. I'm thinking of putting some in the fridge or freezer. Since I enjoy chewing ice too, it might b the best of both worlds.
Mine was a laptop too. The vents were on the bottom, which was terrible for keeping the computer cool but great for drying chalk LOL.

The frozen chalk is a good idea...let us know how it works!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7669 Apr 23, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
So how do you satisfy your cravings??
I stock up when I travel, but it never lasts long enough lol.- last time I purchased seven different types.

When I don't have clay chunks I satisfy cravings with bentonite powder, DE and white chalk. I used to be a big cornstarch eater too, but don't crave that anymore.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7670 Apr 23, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I stock up when I travel, but it never lasts long enough lol.- last time I purchased seven different types.
When I don't have clay chunks I satisfy cravings with bentonite powder, DE and white chalk. I used to be a big cornstarch eater too, but don't crave that anymore.
Where do you live?I once had a spoonful of cornstarch and it was simply horrible.So which other types of clay did you stock up on?Because we only have the kaolin clay over here.
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7671 Apr 23, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody was on here a couple months ago talking about how she uses calcium carbonate and gypsum powders to make her own chalk (the one who called us stupid for paying for stuff we can make!) I am warming to this idea - anyone else who does or has done this? I'm wondering what the taste is like, and how it compares to ready made chalks.
I was the one. Anyway, you've got no really taste on it. I can post some pics if you want or make a video if i got time. It looks like the chunk that epping nina bite on the video. Exactly the same. Whity, like hardened coc**ne, crunchy, powdery The more you dry it on microwaves (after let it dry overnight), the more is crunchy and hard. Once more, chalk and especially gypsum/plaster is food safe and all natural. Just dont abuse.
SIL

Spotswood, NJ

#7672 Apr 23, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
wow lucky u, it easy to buy clay in africa than europe. i wish i was homw where eating clay is seena as norm. i like the white salty clay it so creamy and delicious mmm yum yum
edibleclay.com best ultra fine quality!
Indian roasted clay

Copperas Cove, TX

#7673 Apr 23, 2014
Hello everyone
starting from next week I will run some special offers on clay....
On ordering 5 bags of clay you will get 250grams packet of clay for FREE.
On ordering 10bags of clay you will get 500grams bag of clay for FREE.
FOR PRICES AND FURTHER DETAILS CONTACT ME ON shabu786110@yahoo. Com. I definitely won't disappoint you for price as this offer is limited for just 1 week...starting on 28th April- 4th May....waiting for your emails guys...
Indian roasted clay

Copperas Cove, TX

#7674 Apr 23, 2014
You can start sending your orders now. ..believe me this clay is really yummy
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7675 Apr 23, 2014
Indian roasted clay wrote:
You can start sending your orders now...believe me this clay is really yummy
Do u have samples?
Indian roasted clay

Copperas Cove, TX

#7676 Apr 23, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
Do u have samples?
You will have to pay for shipping and I will send you some samples
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7678 Apr 23, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How much did you buy! Lol!
I bought some today, but only two boxes because it isn't the super crunchy kind I like. It tastes ok though if left to air out for a couple days. I'm hoping though that the store that normally has the crunchier type will restock soon.
Somebody was on here a couple months ago talking about how she uses calcium carbonate and gypsum powders to make her own chalk (the one who called us stupid for paying for stuff we can make!) I am warming to this idea - anyone else who does or has done this? I'm wondering what the taste is like, and how it compares to ready made chalks.
It wasn't even that much!nit my usual big batch lol it was only 15 boxes lol i usually buy twice as much i know i know too much but i love it lol
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7679 Apr 24, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't even that much!nit my usual big batch lol it was only 15 boxes lol i usually buy twice as much i know i know too much but i love it lol
I wouldn't worry about other people. Unless they eat it too, they wouldn't suspect anything. And I like the explanation that u donate to a teacher friend or school if they ask... You're lucky that you found a chalk u love. I buy mostly 2 brands and sometimes I can buy 3 boxes and 1 box will have a strange flavor. with the other brand, I get pieces that have a bitter taste mixed with pieces that taste good. Either way, I can't find anything I truly love. Nothing is consistently good so my search goes on.:/
StoneCrusher

Drancy, France

#7680 Apr 24, 2014
Here some pics about my homemade Chalk crunchy lumps :

http://i62.tinypic.com/34y9x1l.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/35jmn45.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2v0eiqh.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/b6dovp.jpg

I've made a little video. Just ask....
Icychalk

Staten Island, NY

#7681 Apr 24, 2014
StoneCrusher wrote:
Here some pics about my homemade Chalk crunchy lumps :
http://i62.tinypic.com/34y9x1l.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/35jmn45.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2v0eiqh.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/b6dovp.jpg
I've made a little video. Just ask....
Wow! They look like rocks... How do they taste? Would def love to see a video!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GMC's sliding roof slides away; Envoy XUV didn'... (Feb '06) 3 hr Tedesco1215 32
News Free back to school supplies in Evansville, IN (Jul '10) 3 hr abuser 11
News I was jilted for Tori Spelling (May '06) 5 hr StarMoss 17
News Artisan meat to make debut 6 hr They cannot kill ... 2
News Police investigating Ariana Grande's video doug... 7 hr Airhead Sucks 7
News Meet a Minion at Peak of the Market's Family Fu... 13 hr Piqued at the Market 1
News Veterans Advocates needed 15 hr The Mad Man 1
More from around the web