Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,465
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
angela

Corning, NY

#6416 Aug 1, 2013
EatAtJoes wrote:
"I eat almost a 1/2 cup at least once a week."
I'm speechless...
...now can someone pour me some milk, so I can wash the clay down...
why clay I do not get it? have u seen a shrink?

Since: Mar 13

Germany

#6417 Aug 2, 2013
I think the Best clay to eat are those which have been tested of harmful substances. The clay from Ghana and togo are known to contain less harmful substances. I feel safe eating this baked clays. I have tried clay from Cameroon and Nigeria what they call nzu and I instantly headache. FDA is warning against eating the nzu clay. Jmo
clay4life

UK

#6418 Aug 2, 2013
Mary clay eater wrote:
I think the Best clay to eat are those which have been tested of harmful substances. The clay from Ghana and togo are known to contain less harmful substances. I feel safe eating this baked clays. I have tried clay from Cameroon and Nigeria what they call nzu and I instantly headache. FDA is warning against eating the nzu clay. Jmo
But which clays are u speaking of that have been tested for harmful substances??

Germany

#6419 Aug 2, 2013
clay4life wrote:
<quoted text>
But which clays are u speaking of that have been tested for harmful substances??
I mean that the clay in Ghana called ayilo has and the one from Togo called kalaba have been tested. You can google.

Germany

#6420 Aug 2, 2013
I guess most of you don't know bow the togo kalaba clay looks like. It's almost the same as the nakumatt clay and one can view the pic in facebook why we love and crave clay. There are alot of yummy pics there
Earthy lady

Cape Town, South Africa

#6421 Aug 3, 2013
Today I am getting my clay, Yay!!

Its been a very tough week emotionally, I am spent and my other illnesses are getting pretty intense due to the high stress levels. And yes clay is my comfort 'food' of choice, I tried to quit clay at one point and started smoking, I know it wasnt the best choice but I haven't smoked on two months and do no intend on starting again, but I generally have a stressful life and I need that break even if it's temporary to just sit back and enjoy my clay.

I so wish I could take a video or pictures of the two clays I will be getting today, I actually think I will also try the salted clay that she sells, yes I wil get three clays, two of my best which are unsalted pure earthy clay and one new clay I've never tried before which is salted I think It's from Nigeria.

I will post when I am home from town and in the process of eating and trying the three clays.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6422 Aug 3, 2013
So I mentioned the new clay and mistakenly thought she had said its from Nigeria, its from Congo i.e the DRC. Well I tried it first, it tasted salty and ashy like it had been prepared in an outside fire. It was crunchy, somewhat chalky though smooth and not gritty. Its not earthy and doesnt stick. I would have to get used to it but it doesnt call out to me because it lacks the earthiness. Ive never had salty clay and not much of a salty person. I even made a little video with the three clays :)

Have to run so will update on the other two soon. Im a happy clay eater with my three clays. Yummm.
Alabama Red

Bessemer, AL

#6423 Aug 3, 2013
I thought I would receive my namukatt clay from Mavu before going out of town. I guess this means that I will have something to look forward too when I return.

Since: Oct 12

East Ham, UK

#6424 Aug 4, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
I thought I would receive my namukatt clay from Mavu before going out of town. I guess this means that I will have something to look forward too when I return.
Am in uk and I still haven't received my order and its been more than a week since it was posted .
shirlet

London, UK

#6425 Aug 4, 2013
I hope u ladies realise that its up to the couriers how long it takes. I have a small bracelet business that I run out of my house and it annoys me when the customers act like I am the royal mail or a courier service. As soon as I send an order its out of my hands because how can I have true control over the package. Obviously youve paid for a service and u expect it to b delivered but u should give leeway. I know it can b frustrating to wait but at the end of the day a little patience goes a long way.

Sorry for the rant but I can relate. This clay is like a drug which can drive us ladies a little crazy
clay4life

London, UK

#6426 Aug 4, 2013
Do any of u ladies feel more inclined to eat clay wen its your time of the month? Are the cravings higher due to the blood loss??
Alabama Red

Duluth, GA

#6427 Aug 4, 2013
shirlet wrote:
I hope u ladies realise that its up to the couriers how long it takes. I have a small bracelet business that I run out of my house and it annoys me when the customers act like I am the royal mail or a courier service. As soon as I send an order its out of my hands because how can I have true control over the package. Obviously youve paid for a service and u expect it to b delivered but u should give leeway. I know it can b frustrating to wait but at the end of the day a little patience goes a long way.
Sorry for the rant but I can relate. This clay is like a drug which can drive us ladies a little crazy
I'm not complaining Or being impatient I know that international mail can be delayed one or two weeks or more. I just remembered from an order before it only took 7-8 days to arrive.
EbOnyx

New York, NY

#6428 Aug 4, 2013
I agree with Alabama Red. Well, actually, I am complaining a little. The website claims that your order is shipped out the next business day. That would have been Wednesday for my order but it didn't get shipped until the following Monday. The first time I ordered, there was a delay as well and Mavu was good enough to include extra product in my present order to make up for both delays. But given a choice, I would much rather have on-time shipping because we do tend to go a little nuts waiting on our clay, lol.
Earthy Lady

South Africa

#6429 Aug 4, 2013
clay4life wrote:
Do any of u ladies feel more inclined to eat clay wen its your time of the month? Are the cravings higher due to the blood loss??
Strangely id say yes the cravings usually get intense at that time but i find that the clat sometnes affects my flow and cramps. So i tend to avoid it.
Mary Tyler

United States

#6430 Aug 4, 2013
Mary clay eater wrote:
I guess most of you don't know bow the togo kalaba clay looks like. It's almost the same as the nakumatt clay and one can view the pic in facebook why we love and crave clay. There are alot of yummy pics there
@ Mary Clay Eater I have join the forum too And i do love all the beautiful pictures of all the different clays that we can See with our eyes .It's also have videos of how they are made which gives me a better view of what I'm getting if I decide to order some clays. There is also updated information on where to order New/ old clays ..Thanks a bunch for shareing. The Tongo clays does looks delicious...
Mary Tyler

United States

#6431 Aug 4, 2013
Alabama Red wrote:
@ Alabama Red I'm awaiting for your reponse about the namukett clay .. plz post ..
bobbieclay

Baton Rouge, LA

#6432 Aug 5, 2013
I need it!!!! where can i find it in Louisiana?????
NzuLoveer

Arlington, TX

#6433 Aug 6, 2013
Earthy Lady wrote:
So I mentioned the new clay and mistakenly thought she had said its from Nigeria, its from Congo i.e the DRC. Well I tried it first, it tasted salty and ashy like it had been prepared in an outside fire. It was crunchy, somewhat chalky though smooth and not gritty. Its not earthy and doesnt stick. I would have to get used to it but it doesnt call out to me because it lacks the earthiness. Ive never had salty clay and not much of a salty person. I even made a little video with the three clays :)
Have to run so will update on the other two soon. Im a happy clay eater with my three clays. Yummm.
email me at ody_ejim@yahoo.com
Meh

Ashburn, VA

#6434 Aug 8, 2013
Got a chance to buy slate pencils from market(2nd time but this time it was hard to find), and brought 3 pckts with 40pieces each(small sticks) and guess what finished all the sticks just in 5 days :o although i didnt had any side effects yet. But still i'am regrating about why i had a thought to buy at first time! It was better if i never tasted it for just to give a try! But that turned into an addiction. Now i am keeping myself strong to not to eat or buy them!
Clay Yay

India

#6435 Aug 8, 2013
Ha Ha...Tough Luck !! It is extreeeeeemely addictive so wish you all the best. Which brand did you get and aren't you from Delhi ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Jimmy' Adams 31 min A sister in Christ 1
Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE) 2014 ... 7 hr Gerald Vonberger 1
College: arrests, injuries during Pumpkin Fest 8 hr ACE MCMILLAN 6
A Toothy Grin Lasts After Halloween Says Loyola... 9 hr Gerald Vonberger 1
VA secretary: I'm 'aggressively' firing problem... 11 hr BigBill 3
Vets react with skepticism, hope to proposed VA... 11 hr MadeInAmerica 7
Famous Joe's Legendary Mexican Food offer authe... (Nov '11) 11 hr REDNECK 10

Life People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE