Hmong Village: A success story on St. Paul's East Side

Jan 15, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TwinCities

Stroll through the Hmong Village shopping area on St. Paul's East Side and you'll be engulfed in the sights, smells and sounds of another land.

Comments
1 - 20 of 97 Comments Last updated Mar 16, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#2 Jan 17, 2012
I think we need an Irish Village on St. Paul's East Side - paid for with tax dollars.
Going forward

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jan 17, 2012
This village will be demolished, just like Swede Hollow was.
jealous much

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jan 18, 2012
IrishMN wrote:
I think we need an Irish Village on St. Paul's East Side - paid for with tax dollars.
I beleive the article stated that the business owners raised the capitol themselves.
jealous much

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jan 18, 2012
**believe**

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#6 Jan 19, 2012
jealous much wrote:
<quoted text>
I beleive the article stated that the business owners raised the capitol themselves.
So you are saying that there is not tax money involved? B.S.

I just want an equal contribution to my Irish Village as the Hmong get for their Hmong Village. A Gaelic Heritage Center along with an Irish Public Health Center should also be part of this project.
PB in St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jan 20, 2012
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want an equal contribution to my Irish Village as the Hmong get for their Hmong Village. A Gaelic Heritage Center along with an Irish Public Health Center should also be part of this project.
I don't know... my guess is and Irish village would be considered racist and would probably be boycotted by "minorities" and liberals.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#8 Jan 20, 2012
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
It is amazing, 45 years ago we were fighting for their freedom/country and now they have a village in St Paul, But the Irish and Italians, who were here over 100 years ago, we get the bill. Thanks

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#9 Jan 20, 2012
PB in St Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know... my guess is and Irish village would be considered racist and would probably be boycotted by "minorities" and liberals.
I think you are right, and that is pretty sad. Doesn't that mean they are racist against the Irish?

It is the Libs that love diversity, isn't it? If the Irish are excluded, then there is not much diversity.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#10 Jan 20, 2012
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>It is amazing, 45 years ago we were fighting for their freedom/country and now they have a village in St Paul, But the Irish and Italians, who were here over 100 years ago, we get the bill. Thanks
It is a strange world, isn't it?
Amazing

Madison, WI

#11 Jan 22, 2012
I am amazed and shocked by the amount of racism that is being promoted by some people in the Midwest. I am white, with Scottish and Irish ancestry, and I for one am happy that the Hmong have come together to organize this village. The Irish could do it too if they really pushed for it. Just because they haven't is no reason to blame the Hmong! This is a great achievement, and it is terrible, and embarrassing, to read some of the ignorant responses.

By the way, some Americans think they were fighting for the people in Asia, while the Hmong rightfully feel like they were the ones fighting for the Americans.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#12 Jan 22, 2012
Amazing wrote:
I am amazed and shocked by the amount of racism that is being promoted by some people in the Midwest. I am white, with Scottish and Irish ancestry, and I for one am happy that the Hmong have come together to organize this village. The Irish could do it too if they really pushed for it. Just because they haven't is no reason to blame the Hmong! This is a great achievement, and it is terrible, and embarrassing, to read some of the ignorant responses.
By the way, some Americans think they were fighting for the people in Asia, while the Hmong rightfully feel like they were the ones fighting for the Americans.
Who is blaming anyone other than the politicians who are buying votes?

This is another example of the redistribution of wealth by your local government officials.

If the Hmong can have a tax payer supported cultural village, why can't the Irish?

Buy my vote for a change - or quit buying votes, quit over taxing home owners, and provide the limited government services that you should provide.
LMAOROTF

Seattle, WA

#13 Jan 22, 2012
Racist haters NEED attention, too ??? Funny how important it is to "welcome" immigrants... OBVIOUSLY you prefer wars. RIGHT !??
Sam

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jan 22, 2012
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is blaming anyone other than the politicians who are buying votes?
This is another example of the redistribution of wealth by your local government officials.
If the Hmong can have a tax payer supported cultural village, why can't the Irish?
Buy my vote for a change - or quit buying votes, quit over taxing home owners, and provide the limited government services that you should provide.
I found this information in the article:

"By pooling resources, they bought a vacant warehouse, then employed relatives on 12-hour work shifts to transform the space. As word of their plan spread, would-be Hmong shop owners began lining up."

And this one:

"Dan Bostrom, St. Paul city council member, is among those impressed by what's happened at Johnson Parkway and Phalen Boulevard.

"I've been around a lot of folks who've been dreamers, but they always want to do it with somebody else's money. But in this case, they did it all with their own dime."

Why do you keep repeating that it's tax payers money? You don't need to answer. I already know.
LMAOROTF

Seattle, WA

#15 Jan 22, 2012
The Republican game is this: "IF YOU TELL A LIE OFTEN ENOUGH, IT BECOMES THE TRUTH

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#16 Jan 22, 2012
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
I found this information in the article:
"By pooling resources, they bought a vacant warehouse, then employed relatives on 12-hour work shifts to transform the space. As word of their plan spread, would-be Hmong shop owners began lining up."
And this one:
"Dan Bostrom, St. Paul city council member, is among those impressed by what's happened at Johnson Parkway and Phalen Boulevard.
"I've been around a lot of folks who've been dreamers, but they always want to do it with somebody else's money. But in this case, they did it all with their own dime."
Why do you keep repeating that it's tax payers money? You don't need to answer. I already know.
Simply because you have got to dig two layers down to find which foundation donated (and received public funding for its various projects) does not mean this is all private funding.

There are tax dollars here. And lots of them.
Sam

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jan 22, 2012
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply because you have got to dig two layers down to find which foundation donated (and received public funding for its various projects) does not mean this is all private funding.
Show me.
LMAOROTF

Seattle, WA

#18 Jan 22, 2012
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta LOVE your "proof" compared to Sam's actual proof.... Always "right", especially when WRONG !

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#19 Jan 22, 2012
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me.
I will be happy to, and then you will pay me for my time. As long as we are clear on that, I will be happy to do your homework for you.
Sam

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jan 22, 2012
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
I will be happy to, and then you will pay me for my time. As long as we are clear on that, I will be happy to do your homework for you.
That's what I thought. Nice bluff.
LMAOROTF

Seattle, WA

#21 Jan 22, 2012
Which IMPLIES STRONGLY, proving yourself honorable/honest HAS NO VALUE and your "truth" is purchased, "right" !??? You'll of course, offering to pay Sam for the research he's already done ??? LMAOROTFU ! BUSTED !

The Republican game is this: "IF YOU TELL A LIE OFTEN ENOUGH, IT BECOMES THE TRUTH

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Cops' Crew Member Dies After Being Shot During... 10 min hang em all 1
Ex-corrections officer arraigned in fatal Swans... 3 hr Bluehawaii 2
Closing the gap between Canada and Kanata 3 hr dont loose yer kool 1
Tiny Bayfield has thriving restaurant scene 3 hr Natural 1
More school districts consider free meals for all 5 hr Keven1986 1
Knee joint replacment surgery 5 hr Nogods 27
Celebrate Chanukah in Stoughton (Dec '12) 6 hr Kundrot dionkie 211
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••