Why Is Coffee in France So Bad?

Jan 24, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Slate Magazine

There is one thing the guidebooks, the Francophiles, and the blissed-out romantics never tell you: The coffee in France is lousy.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17

Since: Dec 06

One of Paris nicest district

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Yes, french coffee in usual cafés is terrible. The habit was taken when France used to import Robusta coffee seeds from its Ivory Coast colony.
It was so charged with caffeine that an expresso made of it could give you heart palpitations. At least factory workers felt awaken after breakfast.
Now, these Robusta have lower caffeine, but still with awfull taste.
You must go in high class cafés to be sure they serve you berable Arabica coffee
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Looks like French cuisine is becoming a myth too, with already one third of restaurants serving reheated frozen food.
alexandre

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

more ugly insults....
~A~
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

alexandre wrote:
more ugly insults....
~A~
If mentioning facts is insulting for you, you are too touchy.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Judged:

I've visited a big store wich supplies restaurants. I was with a friend which had opened a café, as you must be a professional to get in.
I've been amazed to see that they have a lot of grands chefs signed frozen food that you cannot find in supermarkets.
Maybe it's better to be served grand-chef signed reheated frozen ditches than mediocre master cook's home cuisine.
Anyways, laws have been set to force restaurants to mention whether it's home made cuisine or industrial frozen one.

Our chinese traiteurs serve 95% semi industrialised ditches, same with turkish traiteurs.

Happily, most of the kabyle managed district restaurants still serve, out of cous-cous, very honest french cuisine with honest prices.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

DonPanic wrote:
I've visited a big store wich supplies restaurants. I was with a friend which had opened a café, as you must be a professional to get in.
I've been amazed to see that they have a lot of grands chefs signed frozen food that you cannot find in supermarkets.
Maybe it's better to be served grand-chef signed reheated frozen ditches than mediocre master cook's home cuisine.
Anyways, laws have been set to force restaurants to mention whether it's home made cuisine or industrial frozen one.
Our chinese traiteurs serve 95% semi industrialised ditches, same with turkish traiteurs.
Happily, most of the kabyle managed district restaurants still serve, out of cous-cous, very honest french cuisine with honest prices.
I just avoid frozen food, just like I avoid meat these days.

I find I prefer to eat at home than in restaurants these days.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

rio wrote:
I just avoid frozen food, just like I avoid meat these days.
I find I prefer to eat at home than in restaurants these days.
I have much luck living in a place where within less than a 200 meters, I have 2 large supermarkets, a frozen food store, a very good Viet-Thaï-Chinese restaurant, a very good Italian one, a passable kabyle one, and half a dozen buy and take it home small restaurants, plus a MacDo, so that when my mistress or I are lazy or tired of our routine cook, it's a real temptation to go and fetch any kind od food we want.
In summer-time, we like to buy already made food and eat by the Ourcq channel witch is too at less than 200 meters.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

This http://cailleratdelatessy.net/ can give you a small view ot that district
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
I have much luck living in a place where within less than a 200 meters, I have 2 large supermarkets, a frozen food store, a very good Viet-Thaï-Chinese restaurant, a very good Italian one, a passable kabyle one, and half a dozen buy and take it home small restaurants, plus a MacDo, so that when my mistress or I are lazy or tired of our routine cook, it's a real temptation to go and fetch any kind od food we want.
In summer-time, we like to buy already made food and eat by the Ourcq channel witch is too at less than 200 meters.
Typical French! You seem to be obsessed by food. Mind you it's catching; many Brits now get turned on by food too. It has become very fashionable in Britain now to watch cookery programmes, to go on cuisine courses, to talk about food, to learn to select ingredients, etc... Even for men, which I find very puzzling.
I didn't catch that bug and I withdraw more and more from food. I like the simple meals my wife cooks without pretention, and I just don't enjoy eating out anymore. I only do it to treat her from time to time only.
But mostly, I don't like to talk much about food. I have noticed that here, people talk more and more about what they buy, how they prepare it, what it tastes, etc... I find these conversations boring, and I have stopped meeting some people because of it. Eating with them is like a culinary lesson and it absorbs all their thoughts. With friends, I want to talk about cars, business, architecture, politics, bikes, motor racing, holidays, but not bloody food!! I often don't even remember what I have eaten at the end of a meal!
Eating already-made meals is a no-no for me. Just like for restaurants, I don't trust the hygiene of take-away. It's mostly frozen stuff re-heated. No thanks!!
As for fast food, I haven't touched a McDonald for at least 15 years, and I would simply not eat one now. To me that's garbage; I prefer to make myself a sandwich.
Funny you say "my mistress". Here mistress has a bad connotation. People say "my girl friend", or "my lady friend", or "my partner", or "my other half", but not my mistress. That is a woman you have just for sex, or some woman you keep by paying her, etc...
Don't talk to Brits to mention "your mistress", or they will look at you strangely ...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

rio wrote:
Typical French! You seem to be obsessed by food. Mind you it's catching; many Brits now get turned on by food too. It has become very fashionable in Britain now to watch cookery programmes, to go on cuisine courses, to talk about food, to learn to select ingredients, etc... Even for men, which I find very puzzling.
Hungry peoples and animals, mainly predators, get easily agressive, that's a law of nature. Herbivores know that they can stand near repleted lions without danger.
Maybe the French were more aware of this fact than the Brits, as France beared more wolves and bears populations and longer than in UK.
So that it has become a strong tradition in France to negociate, peaces treaties, contracts and so on with peoples you have repleted and turned into peacefull a behaviour.
rio wrote:
I didn't catch that bug and I withdraw more and more from food. I like the simple meals my wife cooks without pretention, and I just don't enjoy eating out anymore. I only do it to treat her from time to time only.
But mostly, I don't like to talk much about food. I have noticed that here, people talk more and more about what they buy, how they prepare it, what it tastes, etc... I find these conversations boring, and I have stopped meeting some people because of it. Eating with them is like a culinary lesson and it absorbs all their thoughts. With friends, I want to talk about cars, business, architecture, politics, bikes, motor racing, holidays, but not bloody food!! I often don't even remember what I have eaten at the end of a meal!
I they do so, it's mainly they want to share their pleasure, maybe you're not such a sociable and sharing man you think you are. Talking pleasure rely half on self listening, half on getting others' attention and agreement.
rio wrote:
Eating already-made meals is a no-no for me. Just like for restaurants, I don't trust the hygiene of take-away. It's mostly frozen stuff re-heated. No thanks!!
As for fast food, I haven't touched a McDonald for at least 15 years, and I would simply not eat one now. To me that's garbage; I prefer to make myself a sandwich.
All these restaurants are for eating out. With french bread, better have a knife to cut it apart, so that the sandwich must be home prepeared, as law doesn't allow any to bear a knife downstreet.
rio wrote:
Funny you say "my mistress". Here mistress has a bad connotation. People say "my girl friend", or "my lady friend", or "my partner", or "my other half", but not my mistress. That is a woman you have just for sex, or some woman you keep by paying her, etc...
Don't talk to Brits to mention "your mistress", or they will look at you strangely ...
OK, thanks for the english vocabulary lesson. In french I would have said "ma compagne"
Forumers rarely tell me what's incorrect in my english, here a university teacher told me that my syntax was rather that of latin than english a syntax
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

DonPanic wrote:
<quoted text>
, maybe you're not such a sociable and sharing man you think you are. Talking pleasure rely half on self listening, half on getting others' attention and agreement.
Maybe I am not so sociable, but I just don't enjoy meeting people just to hear them talking about food all the time. It has become an obsession for many.

But I am not the only one, and I have heard my wife or some friends saying the same "Isn't that man boring, talking all the time about his cuisine and the way he prepares meals? He never stopped talking about himself"

I hate attention-seeking people too...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

rio wrote:
Maybe I am not so sociable, but I just don't enjoy meeting people just to hear them talking about food all the time. It has become an obsession for many.
You said that you're lowering meat consumption, if interested, I've an easy pink lentils pancakes recipe I've stollen from tamil cook, that's really delicious and brings proetins in case of low meat dietetic. The point is that lentils must be first soaken 2~3 hours in cold water.
Brit Expat

Le Soler, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

It is'nt! If you buy real Coffee.

The worst coffee is that drunk in the UK! I always give it a miss!

But! Most of all avoid STARBUCKS from wherever.

Real dishwater.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Brit Expat wrote:
It is'nt! If you buy real Coffee.
The worst coffee is that drunk in the UK! I always give it a miss!
But! Most of all avoid STARBUCKS from wherever.
Real dishwater.
You are right about British coffee; it's vile.
You cannot get a decent coffee in Britain, for love or money.

Starbucks is an US coffee chain; overpriced and poor quality.
Starbucks should be boycotted anyway because, like many US companies, it evades paying taxes in UK.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2014

rio wrote:
You are right about British coffee; it's vile.
You cannot get a decent coffee in Britain, for love or money.
Starbucks is an US coffee chain; overpriced and poor quality.
Starbucks should be boycotted anyway because, like many US companies, it evades paying taxes in UK.
First time I had a coffee served in England, I wondered wether it was a dark Ceylan or a light coffee, unfortunately it was a coffee.
Don't you have Nespresso or any of other brandt encapsulated coffee systme in UK ?
Here, almost all my friends have, while I keep using an italian cafetiere.
To get a good coffee, no secret, have Arabica coffee seeds and FRESHLY GRINDED !
alexandre

Athens, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

is it only British coffe taht is vile?
I still remember throwing up blood after eating a fish and chips dish.. I thought my intestines were going to come out of my mouth. I will never forgive you for this..
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

alexandre wrote:
is it only British coffe taht is vile?
I still remember throwing up blood after eating a fish and chips dish.. I thought my intestines were going to come out of my mouth. I will never forgive you for this..
Yes, but you are delicate anyway...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Life Forum right now

Search the Life Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Dance Moms Season 4 Sneak Peek Preview: An All ... 7 min amw 23
Trattoria 'A Vucchella opens in Bridgeport 37 min Sol 3
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 59 min Icychalk 7,197
Opinion: Did Jesus really rise from the dead? 1 hr ELIAS IBARRA 9
Hyping Your Conspiracy Theory In 5 Easy Steps 1 hr VACCINES R DANGEROUS 5
Mooeya s Frozen Yogurt coming to Poolesville th... 3 hr Tom and Jane Heprun 2
Veterans to be saluted at fundraiser on April 30 3 hr Reply2_CIA 8
•••
•••