Vietnam vet a symbol of overcoming VA...

Vietnam vet a symbol of overcoming VA delays

There are 12 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jan 26, 2014, titled Vietnam vet a symbol of overcoming VA delays. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

A Vietnam War veteran from Fort Lauderdale who suffered severe burns in combat and financial hardship back home will be watching from the House gallery Tuesday night when President Barack Obama delivers his State of the Union address.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Arthur Johns

Easley, SC

#1 Jan 27, 2014
I have a claim filed with the VA by my attorney over a year and a half ago. My attorney requested an update on the status of my claim this month, but have not heard from them. I expect I won't hear from the VA until after President Obama leaves office as he is not "Veteran friendly."
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jan 27, 2014
goooooood luck

I had shell fragments in leg and lung
lost 25% one side of chest wall muscle
lost 25% of thigh muscle
nerve damage from blast damage

and it STILL took 3 years and an appeal hearing to get the claims finalized

the process started in 1997, rating came down at the end of 1999

so is it any better now for the new vets ?
Viet Nam Vet

Frankfort, OH

#5 Jan 28, 2014
A friend was injuried in combat by a RPG attack on his tank. He lost two fingers on his right hand. For years after his claim was approved, he was forced to return to the VA to verify his "condition" had not changed. Talk about STUPID. What did they expect, his fingers to grow back? All it did was waste the time of VA employees who could have been taking care of veterans who actually needed the help. That's how the VA operates, waste as much time as possible on each veteran and serve fewer veterans. I can go to my family Doctor and it takes 15 to 20 minutes. I can go to the VA and easily spend 6 hours seeing 2 or 3 Administraive people, who ask the same questions over and over, a Social Worker, a Dietition, a Nurse, a Nursing Assistant, a Lab Tech and a Pharmacist, all before even seeing a Doctor, Nurse Practioner or Physician Assistant that I have never seen before and will probably never see again. Guess who did the better job? Yep, my family Doctor. The real plus was that I can actually understand what My family Doctor is saying without an interperator.
Viet Nam Vet

Frankfort, OH

#6 Jan 28, 2014
lolol wrote:
goooooood luck
I had shell fragments in leg and lung
lost 25% one side of chest wall muscle
lost 25% of thigh muscle
nerve damage from blast damage
and it STILL took 3 years and an appeal hearing to get the claims finalized
the process started in 1997, rating came down at the end of 1999
so is it any better now for the new vets ?
Claims filed by todays vets CAN be processed quicker IF you find an Advocate that knows what they are doing. Some Veterans organizations have these advocates. Absolutely do not expect any help from the VA at any level. They may smile and nod their heads but will do nothing to help you. At teh Medical Center level most have the attitude "not my job", so they give you the bums rush to someone else. Besides, it's not about what you file but how it is filed. I will say that most of todays military documentation is much more detailed than ever before. That helps verify the veteran's claim. Well documented claims can be approved in less than a year BUT will probably be undervalued, even by the VAs own standards, so an appeal will be necessary. The appeal could take another year but, at least, the veteran is recieving something while they wait out the appeal and will be back paid if their appeal is approved.

The VA really has no incentative to process claims quickly. Every claim they approve digs into their budget and they hope to outlast veterans who have serious health problems.
alvin

Fort Myers, FL

#7 Jan 28, 2014
Arthur Johns wrote:
I have a claim filed with the VA by my attorney over a year and a half ago. My attorney requested an update on the status of my claim this month, but have not heard from them. I expect I won't hear from the VA until after President Obama leaves office as he is not "Veteran friendly."
I have case going on since 2004 no end in
Mrs Prezodone

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#8 Jan 28, 2014
does Dr. Bo order john pizza for ten bucks?!! ;-00
Bigbird

Miami, FL

#9 Jan 29, 2014
Hey, I know veterans aren't being treated the way we all expect but there are some charities out there that are doing the right thing to help our veterans. I recently downloaded the Livecharity software and i can donate money to the charity of my choice by simply surfing the web. Its completely free, now whenever i surf the web i know i'm helping out well deserving veterans. Here's the link if anyone who reads this is interested. http://www.livecharity.com
69-70 RVN

United States

#10 Jan 29, 2014
Viet Nam Vet wrote:
<quoted text>Claims filed by todays vets CAN be processed quicker IF you find an Advocate that knows what they are doing. Some Veterans organizations have these advocates. Absolutely do not expect any help from the VA at any level. They may smile and nod their heads but will do nothing to help you. At teh Medical Center level most have the attitude "not my job", so they give you the bums rush to someone else. Besides, it's not about what you file but how it is filed. I will say that most of todays military documentation is much more detailed than ever before. That helps verify the veteran's claim. Well documented claims can be approved in less than a year BUT will probably be undervalued, even by the VAs own standards, so an appeal will be necessary. The appeal could take another year but, at least, the veteran is recieving something while they wait out the appeal and will be back paid if their appeal is approved.
The VA really has no incentative to process claims quickly. Every claim they approve digs into their budget and they hope to outlast veterans who have serious health problems.
seems like the older We get and the fewer We are the more They find out about the dangers of Agent Orange, Funny aint it?

http://www.healthnewsdigest.com/news/Cancer_I...
VN Vet

Richmond, VA

#11 Jan 29, 2014
Before I begin, let me say to ALL my vet brothers--- WELCOME HOME!!!!!! I had to contact my congressman, and also had an advocate helping me. It took over a year, but finally got 80%. Had cancer twice, PTSD, and a few other problems that the VA is helping with. We just aren't dying fast enough for the government. "Ain't 'NOTHIN' BUT A THING".------VN Vet '68-'69 Hang in there!
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#12 Jan 30, 2014
I took care of a veteran who was diagnosed with cancer related to Agent Orange. He was told that IF he was not dead within the ten year time frame he would get pain. He lasted Two years after he got pain in 96. 100 percent disability but what good did it do him? Shame to see someone go out like that!
John Pizza

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#13 Jan 30, 2014
drink more OJ not Dr. Pepper-roni!! ;-00
John Pizza

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#14 Jan 30, 2014
VN Vet wrote:
Before I begin, let me say to ALL my vet brothers--- WELCOME HOME!!!!!! I had to contact my congressman, and also had an advocate helping me. It took over a year, but finally got 80%. Had cancer twice, PTSD, and a few other problems that the VA is helping with. We just aren't dying fast enough for the government. "Ain't 'NOTHIN' BUT A THING".------VN Vet '68-'69 Hang in there!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Webb

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massena man turning former Sears store into a H... 5 hr Matty 5
News What's Happening 7 hr yep 15
News Dolce&Gabbana court youth with offbeat looks in... 9 hr Tea Bag Residue C... 1
News Allentown Fair's new contests and demonstrations 21 hr weapon X 3
News Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 21 hr P1025aris 9,262
News Gorgeous weather, cheesecake draw large crowd t... 23 hr Harry Bawls 2
News Are black visitors really welcome in the Adiron... (Aug '16) Sun Smdh 35
More from around the web