USDA: Drought will push up food price...

USDA: Drought will push up food prices in '13

There are 12 comments on the The Clarion-Ledger story from Jul 25, 2012, titled USDA: Drought will push up food prices in '13. In it, The Clarion-Ledger reports that:

The drought gripping more than half the country is a major reason why consumers can expect to pay 3 percent to 4 percent more for groceries next year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Clarion-Ledger.

USA

United States

#1 Jul 25, 2012
...and dont forget Obama's record high energy prices and health care costs!!..
June 46th 2012

Noblesville, IN

#2 Jul 25, 2012
USA wrote:
...and dont forget Obama's record high energy prices and health care costs!!..
foodstamp wil increase"13!;-00
randy

United States

#3 Jul 25, 2012
next year with foodstamps will be a farm tractor and seeds.and an illegal to grow them
Mothra

Peoria, AZ

#4 Jul 25, 2012
Biofuel mandate worsens drought’s effect

--Washington’s ethanol mandate is hitting Americans in the breadbasket. The worst drought in a half-century is withering cornfields across the heartland while Uncle Sam stubbornly insists American corn be turned into billions of gallons of this unnecessary fuel additive. The result is higher food prices in an already struggling economy. Unless the government can make it rain, Congress should uproot the ethanol mandate.

Hot and dry conditions across the Midwest have placed 70 percent of the corn belt in extreme drought and 61 percent of the nation in at least moderate drought, according to the Drought Monitor, a report compiled by federal climatologists. Only about 31 percent of the nation’s corn crop is in good or excellent condition, and 38 percent of it is in poor or very poor condition. As a result, the U.S. Department of Agriculture last week lowered its forecast of the nation’s corn yield by 12 percent, pushing up the wholesale price of corn to a record $8.16 per bushel.

Fuel refiners are required to blend 13.2 billion gallons of corn alcohol into their petroleum-based fuels this year or face fines, thanks to the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which included ethanol in its Renewable Fuel Standard. The rule, administered by the Environmental Protection Agency under the Clean Air Act, wins the wholehearted support of politicians with presidential ambition seeking Midwestern votes.

The ethanol requirement forces fuel refiners to buy nearly 40 percent of the corn harvest to meet their mandates, meaning fewer bushels are available for animal feed and human consumption. Surplus harvests have minimized the competition between fuel and food, but the current drought has revealed that trying to control agriculture with diktats from Washington has unintended consequences: Corn for cars can mean costly food for families.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/...
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#6 Jul 25, 2012
If the current drought is responsible for a pending increase in food prices, what is responsible for the 100% to 150% increase in food prices occurring since Obama took office with the Democrats controlling both Houses of Congress? Hardest hit have been retired people on fixed incomes, yet for two years Democrats refused to apply even a paltry inflation adjustment, finally applying a small adjustment 2012, which was immediately eaten up by increased Medicare B costs. Using food as a political weapon should be considered a crime against humanity.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#7 Jul 26, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
If the current drought is responsible for a pending increase in food prices, what is responsible for the 100% to 150% increase in food prices occurring since Obama took office with the Democrats controlling both Houses of Congress? Hardest hit have been retired people on fixed incomes, yet for two years Democrats refused to apply even a paltry inflation adjustment, finally applying a small adjustment 2012, which was immediately eaten up by increased Medicare B costs. Using food as a political weapon should be considered a crime against humanity.
the increase in food costs over the past few years is also due to natural disasters.
tsunami's and record rain fall have been decimating rice-paddies all over Asia (the biggest exporter of rice products)
record heat and drought destroyed the wheat crops that we all rely on coming out of Russia, and this year they are being killed with too much rain (Russia is the biggest exporter of wheat)
.
you can expect these things to get worse and worse.
corn, and dairy prices will go up this year, due to the droughts in the midwest.
next year it'll be meat prices, currently livestock is being sold to slaughter because of lack of food and water, so this year we'll see a drop in prices, but next year, they'll be doubled.
.
(politics has nothing to do with the cost of food, whether you want it to or not)
Mothra

Peoria, AZ

#8 Jul 26, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
the increase in food costs over the past few years is also due to natural disasters.
tsunami's and record rain fall have been decimating rice-paddies all over Asia (the biggest exporter of rice products)
record heat and drought destroyed the wheat crops that we all rely on coming out of Russia, and this year they are being killed with too much rain (Russia is the biggest exporter of wheat)
.
you can expect these things to get worse and worse.
corn, and dairy prices will go up this year, due to the droughts in the midwest.
next year it'll be meat prices, currently livestock is being sold to slaughter because of lack of food and water, so this year we'll see a drop in prices, but next year, they'll be doubled.
.
(politics has nothing to do with the cost of food, whether you want it to or not)
BS.

40% of US corn crops are being used for ethanol. The drought affects 20% of the overall crop. Remove the ethanol usage and you still have that same 20% loss, but you have 40% more corn.

That's politics affecting the cost of food.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#9 Jul 26, 2012
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
BS.
40% of US corn crops are being used for ethanol. The drought affects 20% of the overall crop. Remove the ethanol usage and you still have that same 20% loss, but you have 40% more corn.
That's politics affecting the cost of food.
yeah.
sure.
you just keep on believing that weather has no effect on the cost of food.
Mothra

Peoria, AZ

#10 Jul 26, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah.
sure.
you just keep on believing that weather has no effect on the cost of food.
"(politics has nothing to do with the cost of food, whether you want it to or not)"

I showed otherwise, but let's talk about the weather instead.

Pathetic.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#11 Jul 26, 2012
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
"(politics has nothing to do with the cost of food, whether you want it to or not)"
I showed otherwise, but let's talk about the weather instead.
Pathetic.
ethanol has nothing to do with politics.
ethanol has to do with energy.
.
food prices will go up with or without ethanol because no rain means no crops.
fuel prices will go up because no rain means no corn to make ethanol
feed prices will go up because no rain means no feed, no feed means starving livestock.
this is NOT political.
do you believe that is Romney is elected that miraculously it will rain in the midwest and the crops will be saved?
.
.
the government doesn't control the weather, surely you don't believe that HAARP nonsense.
Mothra

Peoria, AZ

#12 Jul 26, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
ethanol has nothing to do with politics.
ethanol has to do with energy.
.
[stuff I see no point in reading omitted]
Ethanol made from corn reduces the amount of corn for food.

No politics in ethanol? or energy?

Yikes!

I'm done wasting my time on this with you.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#13 Jul 26, 2012
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Ethanol made from corn reduces the amount of corn for food.
No politics in ethanol? or energy?
Yikes!
I'm done wasting my time on this with you.
not partisan politics.
no.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 7 weird and wonderful things to eat in the Grim... 4 hr Parden Pard 1
News Women's March Demands Equality 4 hr let go 7
News We tried the fried fish sandwiches from the big... 6 hr Lets Have It 1
News Ann Coulter's Anti-Semitism Runs Deep (May '16) 11 hr Tm Cln 60
News March, Rally Planned In Downtown Today Sat binaries 1
News Santa and the housekeeper: The forgotten JonBen... Sat kauna 125
News Shock Ramsey weapon theory Sat Texxy 4
More from around the web