Ramsey County sheriff's use of gun da...

Ramsey County sheriff's use of gun data questioned

There are 182 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 23, 2009, titled Ramsey County sheriff's use of gun data questioned. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Bob Fletcher is serving his fourth term as Ramsey County sheriff. Ramsey County Sheriff Bob Fletcher appears to have violated Minnesota state law and perhaps the Constitution by inviting county residents holding gun-carry permits to a fundraiser for charities - including religious groups - aiding the homeless, a state official and a law professor ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
attended

United States

#1 Dec 23, 2009
Ok for the record I was at this event. Those that attended were grateful for the opportunity. Some individuals were given instruction on safer handling of their weapons. Everyone was happy to be provided an opportunity to help homeless children during the holidays. What kind of a person attacks such an effort?
bms

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Dec 23, 2009
"What kind of a person attacks such an effort?"

A liberal DFL'er
Dangerous Dave

Big Lake, MN

#3 Dec 23, 2009
I'm sorry, you obviously haven't been paying attention to many of the headlines involving either the Sheriff's Office, it's Deputies or for that matter, Sheriff Fletcher himself in the past ten years. The Ramsey County Sheriff's Office was a well-respected, scrupulously professional, and very low-key law enforcement agency until Sheriff Bob came to be Sheriff. Of course, Bob Fletcher came from the the Saint Paul Police Department, and was largely a product of former Chief Bill McCutcheon, who was a old-time gangster in his own right. Bob Fletcher's style was cramped by Chief Bill Finney, who was an extraordinary man in his own right, and when he stepped out of Finney's shadow to take the Sheriff's post, he placed himself almost immediately at odds with Chief Finney, and has made a very public and almost legendary grab for power as Sheriff ever since. The fact that the agency has been riddled with absurdity, corruption, and arrogance is not a mistake, it is a direct consequence of Sheriff Fletcher's orientation to power, politics and ethical (unethical) leadership. From reviving 20 year old cold-cases and launching a politically motivated prosecution against one of Chief Finney's boyhood friends, to his efforts to "take over" policing in the entire East Metro area through the exploitation of laws that afford the Sheriff the "responsibility" despite the presence of long-standing law enforcement agencies - like Maplewood & Saint Paul Police, infringing on historical jurisdictional and organizational limits, polluting the Gang Strike Force, which was dominated for years by members of his agency, to members of his own department - and not just anyone - but high-level associates that engaged in unlawful activities in the conduct of the Sheriff's re-election, and then were shown to have stolen money & property in an FBI "integrity test" sting. There isn't enough room here to tell the whole story, but the people of Ramsey County need to take a close look at Sheriff Fletcher and their Sheriff's Office. How many times has County Attorney Gaertner had to slide cases to other jurisdictions to avoid conflict of interest in the prosecution of matters related to the operation or personnel of the Sheriff's Office? She is an honerable public servant, and it must gall her to have to deal with that agency and their cases on a day to day basis, having to wonder which one of them is going to blow up in her face because it was baseless or had it's seeds in some form of get-back or political wrangling that she or her assistants couldn't detect until it was too late.
Renee

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Dec 23, 2009
The Sheriff says" "Mr. Gross should come with our deputies when they evict families out into the streets before he renders any ethical judgments."

So is his argument the ends justify the means?
Dangerous Dave

Big Lake, MN

#5 Dec 23, 2009
Oh come on you idiots - DFL'ers? If you can't see past that, you're too stupid to ever correct this thing. It's not about partisan politics, its about POWER and the ARROGANCE of power and the ABUSE of power. The fact is, people with handgun permits (like people with registered guns) and everyone else whose name appears in some government database that is governed by laws pertaining to its lawful uses ought to be wondering when some well-meaning (or not so well meaning) bureaucrat is going to use their position to access that data for their own purposes, rationalize it somehow - like saving children & the poor - or perhaps just serving their own twisted political ends, and in doing so, call you out for your personal beliefs or practices. This is flagrant, and whether Sheriff Bob doesn't see it, with issues this big and this public, or he does and he's just so arrogant that he doesn't care and believes he can rationalize it to the public - he can't be trusted and doesn't belong in such a powerful position.
Double Czech

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Dec 23, 2009
Isn't it an election year coming up for Sheriff Fletcher? Way to make himself look good at the expense of CCW holders, whom he'd otherwise gladly toss under a bus.
And who's to say what he'll do with the names from Ramsay County who didn't fund his little heartwarming endeavor.

Since: Jan 09

Dugway, UT

#7 Dec 23, 2009
bms wrote:
"What kind of a person attacks such an effort?"
A liberal DFL'er
Or- Someone who values what little is left of the Constitution. Not everything is DFL vs GOP you know.
Voter

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Dec 24, 2009
Does this guy ever stop?! He continues to make this department a national joke.

Of course he violated the law! Just like his thug friends who are currently in federal prison!

This guy just won't go away!
unhappy deputy

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Dec 24, 2009
Give Me a Break wrote:
Are u kidding me?? Why all the hatred towards Sheriff Fletcher, whats with these people?? Its like hes lives in a glass house, you people just cant wait until he does anything remotely controversial, and then you jump all over him.
For the record I am not a Fletcher supporter, or Bostrom or Finney!! I just sit back and watch all this political non-sense go on.
Just look at last election in 2006 when Fletcher beat out Finney for Sheriff. Finney was outraged at Fletcher because Finney the crook that he is, and his childhood buddy Aaron "The Murderer" Foster, along with Finney's criminal associate drug runners were brought to the public's attention. So Finney's gets even by alerting the FBI to probe the Sheriff's Office, and he happened to get way more than her bargained for by catching Naylon & former SPPD Cop Rehak taking money.
Now Matt Bostrom is running for Ramsey County Sheriff and has teamed up with FINNEY. Sorry to say but BOSTROM'S name is now tainted as "DIRTY". Just remember what goes around comes around. Fletcher has been flooded with negativity recently, you wait and see what the Fletcher crowd pulls up on BOSTROM and FINNEY..... this non-sense never stops.
I vote write in for the next Sheriff's election
THE FLETCHER FOR SHERIFF CAMPAIGN IS BACK AT IT AGAIN. DON'T FALL FOR THEIR LIES AND THEIR FEAR AND SMEAR!!
IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK THIS TIME BOYS..........NOT EVEN A COLD CASE UNIT WILL TIP THE SCALE!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! !!!!
God bless Fletcher

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Dec 24, 2009
God bless this sheriff for holding this fundraiser! There are families with small children living in the streets. I never really gave Fletcher a thought one way or the other. But holding this fundraiser to help people tells alot about this man. Shame on the people who want to string him up for doing such a kind deed that helps so many people. I think the people who are complaining about this should spend one night under a bridge. The fundraiser seems to be a success. So I think he should hold one of these fundraisers every month! Christians, Jews and Muslims are called to do what this man has done. So anyone who has a problem with the fundraiser should probably do some soul searching. I hope other elected officials follow suit and hold fundraisers like the sheriff did!

Thank you sheriff for what you did. If there is a way people can still donate I hope the reporter who wrote this story will publish the info. I'll make a donation to the sheriffs fundraiser.
Kirk

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Dec 24, 2009
Hey Lonn?

I think you're going to have some problems getting your next gun permit.
Ken Pluff

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Dec 24, 2009
Finney has lots of best friends or should I say criminal drug dealing friends. Here is a small sample: Plukie Duke, major drug dealer, Aaron Foster, major drug runner and dealer and murderer, Ken Pluff, AKA Ken Brennan, former cop who used his position as a cop to rat out his fellow cops, Clemmie Tucker, fellow SPPD cop who is in jail for bringing in 17 lbs of crack hidden in a table, Tucker was major drug dealer while he was a cop, Benny Williams, current cop who gave confidential police documents to John Clark, drug dealer in prison, John Clark gave these documents to Plukie Duke. Nefarious friend, Sheldon Anderson, mayor of Wyoming, MN, Anderson owns a security company that employed Ken Brennan and Aaron Foster. Finney hired this security firm to watch the police impound lot.

Now Bostrom has Finney as a supporter-endorsee. WHY? Finney is not police chief anymore and he still needs to protect his friends in crime. Bostrom needs the black vote and Finney can deliver it. Bostrom sold his soul to Finney for the black vote.
Hard Up

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Dec 24, 2009
Friend of Finney wrote:
Finney is a crook, Finney has endorsed Matt Bostrom, Bostrom has now been contaminated and labeled as "dirty". Matt "Empty Suit" Bostrom has sold his soul to become Sheriff. The next question is how low will he go?? How involved will Finney's drug running buddies such as Plukie Duke, Ken Pluff aka Ken Brennan be involved with the Bostrom's campagin?
Better luck next time! Looks like the Fletcher is really desperate attempting to link Bostrom with Finney the crook.

Isn't it ironic that Finney's former best friend was ruled innocent and is not in prison and Bob Fletcher's best man was convicted while on duty at the sheriff's office and is currently doing a prison sentance. Hmmm....just an observation. Can't wait for the campaign to heat up!!!
Get a better srategy boys! Ha!
Permit Holder

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Dec 24, 2009
God bless Fletcher wrote:
God bless this sheriff for holding this fundraiser! There are families with small children living in the streets. I never really gave Fletcher a thought one way or the other. But holding this fundraiser to help people tells alot about this man. Shame on the people who want to string him up for doing such a kind deed that helps so many people. I think the people who are complaining about this should spend one night under a bridge. The fundraiser seems to be a success. So I think he should hold one of these fundraisers every month! Christians, Jews and Muslims are called to do what this man has done. So anyone who has a problem with the fundraiser should probably do some soul searching. I hope other elected officials follow suit and hold fundraisers like the sheriff did!
Thank you sheriff for what you did. If there is a way people can still donate I hope the reporter who wrote this story will publish the info. I'll make a donation to the sheriffs fundraiser.
I don't appreciate the political nature of this embattled sheriff. My name should be held private at all costs.

Sheriff Fletcher is clearly in "campaign mode" and this time around he will not be getting my vote.
God bless Fletcher

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Dec 24, 2009
Voter wrote:
Does this guy ever stop?! He continues to make this department a national joke.
Of course he violated the law! Just like his thug friends who are currently in federal prison!
This guy just won't go away!
I think you should be the first to sleep under a bridge. Why don't you go find a cardboard box and go sleep under the Lafayette bridge tomorrow night; there is a huge blizzard in the making and sleeping in it just might force you to discover your humane side!
RCSO Deputy

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Dec 24, 2009
God bless Fletcher wrote:
Why doesn't he (and his boys)donate all the bond money that's been taken over the years?(Starting with the $10,000.00)

GOOD QUESTION, HUH?
God bless Fletcher

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Dec 24, 2009
Permit Holder wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't appreciate the political nature of this embattled sheriff. My name should be held private at all costs.
Sheriff Fletcher is clearly in "campaign mode" and this time around he will not be getting my vote.
I doubt he had YOUR vote last time. You aren't fooling anyone. Besides. I heard your permit to carry was revoked a long time ago.
SPPD

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Dec 24, 2009
Wow I cannot believe this, who would argue about raising money for charities? If you do not want donate money thats fine, nobody is forcing you. Especially this time of year, where the best gift ever is to "give". I question how politically motivated this article is!!
Nice Try

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Dec 24, 2009
Permit Holder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir you are not fooling anyone with that disguise!!!
Steve Nelson

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Dec 24, 2009
Hard Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Better luck next time! Looks like the Fletcher is really desperate attempting to link Bostrom with Finney the crook.
Isn't it ironic that Finney's former best friend was ruled innocent and is not in prison and Bob Fletcher's best man was convicted while on duty at the sheriff's office and is currently doing a prison sentance. Hmmm....just an observation. Can't wait for the campaign to heat up!!!
Get a better srategy boys! Ha!
Nope I dont think they are "trying" to link Bostrom with Finney, I'm pretty sure the Bostrom campaign made that perfectly clear when BOSTROM ADVERTISED FINNEY'S endorsement/support it on his website!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News June 23 Vallejo A&E Source Restaurant Review: L... 2 hr Kbsunnyside 1
News Is This Black Parenting Magazine Racist? 3 hr Truth Hurts 10
News What's on this week (Jul '14) 7 hr same result no cash 87
News Here's a close look at how immigrant voters cou... 9 hr brad 2
News Comfort-food restaurant Eagle Food & Beer Hall ... 10 hr They cannot kill ... 2
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 16 hr emperorjohn 4,483
News New Mexican Restaurant, El Fuego, Opens; Offers... (Mar '14) 20 hr Frank Longdong 4
More from around the web