Military suicides reflect the moral c...

Military suicides reflect the moral conflicts of war, a Marine captain says

There are 3 comments on the The Oregonian story from Jan 27, 2013, titled Military suicides reflect the moral conflicts of war, a Marine captain says. In it, The Oregonian reports that:

When I joined the Marine Corps, I knew I would kill people. I was trained to do it in a number of ways, from pulling a trigger to ordering a bomb strike to beating someone to death with a rock.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Oregonian.

The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#1 Jan 27, 2013
Reading this article says a lot. This man was truthful in his statements but the lingering after affects stay with him. He describes his military duty well but wrestles with his conscious when he returns home.

There is no way to justify orders or decisions made in a time of war.

The conscious needs to heal. I give this soldier credit for the honesty he speaks and I understand his reality. I wish I could offer his some solace in what he wrestles with daily. I can only say he made decisions based on his training and that is what he had to do to survive a war zone. Yes, military suicides today reflect the moral conflicts of war, and the balance of today's wars along with what society and out conscious teach us, is where the conflict lies. Once again I state: there is no way to justify orders or decisions made in a time of war and I wish this soldier well in his future.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#2 Jan 29, 2013
It is the law of nature - the strong survive. You survived. And, that was and is your ultimate responsibility. Justice is an inherently unobtainable ideal. It is worth striving for so live to bring justice to you and those that you encounter daily. It is all that is asked of you, and everything that you can ask of yourself. May you find peace within.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#3 Jan 30, 2013
Sam Grafton wrote:
It is the law of nature - the strong survive. You survived. And, that was and is your ultimate responsibility. Justice is an inherently unobtainable ideal. It is worth striving for so live to bring justice to you and those that you encounter daily. It is all that is asked of you, and everything that you can ask of yourself. May you find peace within.
Thanks for the support. At least this shows someone out there cares.
My military brothers and sisters are going through HELL now and it is just not fair after what these wars have done to soldiers who survive. I support my brothers and sisters any way I can.
Welcome hone Vets and your service is well appreciated. Now build strength in order to survive what is today's reality and your other vet have your back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Some Chinese Grandparents Are Making Their Gran... 4 hr pantiago 1
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... 6 hr Fart news 685
News Friday's gazebo concert offers a touch o' the I... 7 hr StanTheMan 1
Is it time to treat your deck? 17 hr HomeGarden 1
How to maximize natural light in your home 17 hr HomeGarden 1
News Searching the past (Apr '10) 19 hr Down farts 5
News Better Winnipeg: Volunteer Manitoba continues t... 19 hr Mother Theresa Sp... 1
More from around the web