Hickman likely to claim self-defense ...

Hickman likely to claim self-defense in August shooting

There are 48 comments on the The Daily Union story from May 31, 2013, titled Hickman likely to claim self-defense in August shooting. In it, The Daily Union reports that:

Sterling Hickman likely will claim self-defense as the reason he fired a gun into a crowd outside the National Guard Armory in Junction City last August.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Union.

Michael Smith USN

Fayetteville, NC

#22 Apr 29, 2014
I know him. Soldiers are expected to be "good" even while not on duty. What you do after duty says much about you not only as a Soldier but as a person- you cannot be good while in uniform and act differently when not.
good soldier

Junction City, KS

#23 Apr 29, 2014
Michael Smith USN wrote:
I know him. Soldiers are expected to be "good" even while not on duty. What you do after duty says much about you not only as a Soldier but as a person- you cannot be good while in uniform and act differently when not.
Service members are trained to kill in order to survive on any battlefield. The man was in far greater danger than Zimmerman was , yet got more punishment . Any punishment at all is more than no punishment. He could have done nothing and wound up "good" and dead .
Michael Smith USN

Fayetteville, NC

#24 Apr 29, 2014
good soldier wrote:
<quoted text> Service members are trained to kill in order to survive on any battlefield. The man was in far greater danger than Zimmerman was , yet got more punishment . Any punishment at all is more than no punishment. He could have done nothing and wound up "good" and dead .
Just curious, since self defense is being claimed, whose gun was used when the shooting happened? Does Hickman have a similar history of getting in trouble when either he or another person end up getting hurt? If he does, why would he set himself up for a similar situation? Aren't service members trained as well to use the principles of an "AAR"? I regret how such a "good soldier" like Hickman ended up. Just saying that .....maybe if he used these principles he could have remained a Soldier doing good for the service, himself and his family. By the way, has anybody talked about the victim's background?
Gotcha

Junction City, KS

#25 Apr 29, 2014
estilusti wrote:
<quoted text>
Weisbaden Army Air Base, the "Eagle's Nest", boy. If you'd ever been a soldier you would know. Now put down the Cheetos and turn off the Playstation.Tighten your Huggies-waddle over to the dust catcher (book shelf) and pick up a book and you may learn something. But make sure you ask your mother.
Man, you 1 dum som bitch.
answers

Junction City, KS

#26 Apr 29, 2014
Michael Smith USN wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious, since self defense is being claimed, whose gun was used when the shooting happened? Does Hickman have a similar history of getting in trouble when either he or another person end up getting hurt? If he does, why would he set himself up for a similar situation? Aren't service members trained as well to use the principles of an "AAR"? I regret how such a "good soldier" like Hickman ended up. Just saying that .....maybe if he used these principles he could have remained a Soldier doing good for the service, himself and his family. By the way, has anybody talked about the victim's background?
That`s alot of questions for somebody who "knows" him. He turned himself in , was offered a plea bargain and took it , and is abiding by the terms of his punishment . He had a more exemplory personal history than the "victim" did. Being the same race as the deceased , and a lack of witnesses certainly helped his case , no matter how color-blind some would like to think we have become as a society . He was armed and defended himself and lived . Isn`t that what the NRA , pro-gun lobby , concealed and open carry supporters , Zimmerman defenders , Second Amendment activists , and conservatives are all constantly harping on ?
agree with Gotcha

Junction City, KS

#27 Apr 29, 2014
Gotcha wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, you 1 dum som bitch.
Not only that , he`s a coward who needs to be surrounded by his buddies , for fear a man old enough to be his Daddy might whoop his ass in a one-on-one fight. LMAO !
Gotcha

Junction City, KS

#28 Apr 29, 2014
agree with Gotcha wrote:
<quoted text> Not only that , he`s a coward who needs to be surrounded by his buddies , for fear a man old enough to be his Daddy might whoop his ass in a one-on-one fight. LMAO !
Would not surprise me if he is racist too.[ Learned that fom the kangaroo.]
maybe

Junction City, KS

#29 Apr 29, 2014
Gotcha wrote:
<quoted text>
Would not surprise me if he is racist too.[ Learned that fom the kangaroo.]
LOL! It`s possible , Bob . Good one !

Since: Aug 12

Junction City, KS

#30 May 2, 2014
strength in numbers wrote:
<quoted text> Perfect opportunity for a half dozen paunchy , middle-aged guys with big wallets on chains and doo rags covering bald heads to beat up a former grunt old enough to be all of your Daddies . Your invitation proves my point and is laughable , in a sad sort of way.
Who's laughing now?
LMAO

Junction City, KS

#31 May 2, 2014
estilusti wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's laughing now?
Time to meet your buddies at the Corner Club . There`s safety in numbers . Don`t go anywhere alone , that`s too dangerous and risky . You`re much more dangerous when you have plenty of backup . I recommend no less than six to one , in your case.

Since: Aug 12

United States

#32 May 3, 2014
Surely you have "buddies", I mean your this big bad "solider" who can't or won't name your unit(s), postings, C.O., etc. and doesn't have a "buddy" to hold your hand when you go into a bar.
I have friends they are called veterans, you know what a vet is. Well like I said it's an open invite, for all vets. I'm not here to fight I've completed my service as have my friends, the vets. So come on down and let's all compare our service experiences.

IF YOU HAVE EVER SERVED A DAY IN YOUR LIFE.

Barring that, the drinks are on point and there is a large smoking area with a pool table in the back. Great people, and good news, they are mostly vets!
no thanks

Junction City, KS

#33 May 3, 2014
estilusti wrote:
Surely you have "buddies", I mean your this big bad "solider" who can't or won't name your unit(s), postings, C.O., etc. and doesn't have a "buddy" to hold your hand when you go into a bar.
I have friends they are called veterans, you know what a vet is. Well like I said it's an open invite, for all vets. I'm not here to fight I've completed my service as have my friends, the vets. So come on down and let's all compare our service experiences.
IF YOU HAVE EVER SERVED A DAY IN YOUR LIFE.
Barring that, the drinks are on point and there is a large smoking area with a pool table in the back. Great people, and good news, they are mostly vets!
Sorry , don`t drink or smoke . There`s more to life than ruining your health and living in the past. My service doesn`t define who I am , it`s something I gave of myself that I don`t feel a need to boast about or validate. You`ll have to do the drinking , smoking , and story telling without me.

Since: Aug 12

Junction City, KS

#35 May 7, 2014
Hey, you don't have to drink or smoke, just show up and enthrall me with with your service "experience". I'll be waiting.

Since: Aug 12

Junction City, KS

#36 May 7, 2014
No matter where I'm posted you can always find chicken.
better yet

Junction City, KS

#37 May 8, 2014
estilusti wrote:
No matter where I'm posted you can always find chicken.
Let`s just meet privately without your buddies for back up and we can "chat" until you cry Uncle .

Since: Aug 12

Junction City, KS

#38 May 8, 2014
Like I said, I can find a chicken where ever I go.

Since: Aug 12

Junction City, KS

#39 May 8, 2014
1/16 INFANTRY!
Old Grunt

Junction City, KS

#40 May 10, 2014
estilusti wrote:
Like I said, I can find a chicken where ever I go.
Especially if you look in the mirror , son . Again , I`m old enough to have sired you , but you insist on meeting me only at the Corner Club . I`m game for some bare knuckle fisticuffs.
Haley Lee

Toledo, OH

#41 Jun 13, 2014
I'm upset I was with this man and he never mentioned this to me. Flipping crazy.
no need to boast

Kansas City, MO

#42 Jun 13, 2014
Haley Lee wrote:
I'm upset I was with this man and he never mentioned this to me. Flipping crazy.
It's not something he wants to relive. It is something that happened that can't be undone . The stigma of killing somebody , even in self defense , is a lifetime burden .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trans woman charged with assaulting firefighter 55 min Kernal 5
News Trump appointee resigns after racist, sexist an... 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 59
News Get into the holiday spirit with activities aro... (Dec '09) 1 hr Knowledgeable 34
News Frozen pizza almost as good as real thing (Dec '10) 4 hr bst 23
News MSU Gets Anonymous $1 Million Gift For Gay Center (Jul '14) 5 hr WATCHING LIVONIA 40
News Help us find the best chicken wings in Central ... 5 hr KFC 14
News Try a tropical taste of summer in Lehigh Valley... 5 hr FOot 7
More from around the web