Fur-free Friday protest in Asheville

Fur-free Friday protest in Asheville

There are 176 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Nov 23, 2007, titled Fur-free Friday protest in Asheville. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Before being made into fur coats or trim, animals are caged, trapped, drowned, beaten, electrocuted, suffocated, and skinned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Jacques Cousteau

Columbia, SC

#1 Nov 23, 2007
Why not picket McDonalds & Chick-Fil-A too? Idiots.
Cornbread1

United States

#2 Nov 23, 2007
Also note that before being made into bio-fuels, annoying protestors are often caged, trapped, drowned, beaten, electrocuted, suffocated, and skinned.
Randall

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#3 Nov 23, 2007
Cornbread1 wrote:
Also note that before being made into bio-fuels, annoying protestors are often caged, trapped, drowned, beaten, electrocuted, suffocated, and skinned.
your an idiot... plain and simple...
native

Asheville, NC

#4 Nov 23, 2007
Some of these women protestors need to shave the fur from their armpits! It looks like they have Buckwheat in a choke hold.
Scooter

Great Falls, MT

#5 Nov 23, 2007
Look and see how many protestors wear LEATHER shoes, tennis shoes etc. See how many wear LEATHER belts.

“Ride free”

Since: Nov 07

Asheville

#6 Nov 23, 2007
We all use products from animals, thousands of them.
fjcruiserdog

United States

#7 Nov 23, 2007
Kayla's protest is just another form of eco terrorism.I am sure somewhere in her clothing or home (she might actually live under a rock)furnishing arsenal is a leather product.
This dumb nut must not know that when the hair is removed from the hide it becomes leather, duh.
Kayla Rae

Candler, NC

#8 Nov 23, 2007
Cruelty is never in fashion and to buy fur or hairless fur (aka leather) is to buy into egregious cruelty to animals. There are so many cruelty-free non-animal options available which are actually warmer, fashionable and less expensive. That is why I do NOT buy or wear fur OR leather. Check out www.MercyForAnimals to find out more and to view undercover video footage exposing the intense suffering of animals on filthy fur farms.

There's simply no excuse for supporting such blatant and violent cruelty...and all for vanity's sake.
Bella

Asheville, NC

#9 Nov 23, 2007
Many people out there actually have ways of NOT wearing leather on our shoes and on our belts. It is called synthetic materials which is not a new science. At least there are people making others aware of the horrors that the fur and animal industry brings. Its more for most people who do nothing except complain about people trying to make a difference.
Carmon

Asheville, NC

#10 Nov 23, 2007
Jacques Cousteau wrote:
Why not picket McDonalds & Chick-Fil-A too? Idiots.
Actually, Mercy For Animals has a KFC protest on Dec. 8th on Hendersonville Rd in South Asheville. Come and help us make a difference. There are just a few of us and so much information to be spread.
For more info go to events at www.mercyforanimals.org
Sampson

Candler, NC

#11 Nov 23, 2007
I heartily agree with you, Bella and Kayla. These folks out there speaking up for the voiceless animals are to be commended for exposing the hideous truths of the animal exploitation industries. The fur industry is a prime example of senseless violence and extreme cruelty to animals.

Anyone should be ashamed to wear fur.

www.FurIsDead.com
TerraBob

West Mansfield, OH

#14 Nov 23, 2007
Sad to see the ACT just accepting press releases from anyone and everyone, giving them a headline, and calling them news.

Perhaps the real writers (or those who are supposed to be writers) are all off and out shopping this afternoon? LOL
Navy Man

Asheville, NC

#16 Nov 23, 2007
Don't we have more important social issues to pay attention to? I could care less what one's clothes are nade out of.

Let's get the 3000 children in our state out of foster care then i will care about fur.
Brandon

Candler, NC

#17 Nov 23, 2007
Compassionate voices are needed to help right social wrongs in many arenas. And animals are the ultimate exploited voiceless victims of human arrogance, greed and indifference. I wonder what you are doing to help better the world for children and animals? Usually those who attack those of us out there trying to make a difference for good are the very ones resting on their own laurels and doing nothing to help improve deplorable situations.

It is unfortunate that you don't care. I can't make you be a compassionate caring person. Thank goodness there are so many who DO care and who ARE interested in making the world a better place for ALL of us.
Brandon

Candler, NC

#18 Nov 23, 2007
BTW...my previous post is in response to Navy Man's little posting.

“Ride free”

Asheville

#19 Nov 23, 2007
Bella wrote:
Many people out there actually have ways of NOT wearing leather on our shoes and on our belts. It is called synthetic materials which is not a new science. At least there are people making others aware of the horrors that the fur and animal industry brings. Its more for most people who do nothing except complain about people trying to make a difference.
Whats funny, is most people posting on this topic, will use some form of product that will come from a animal. Now when you are finished with your demonstrations on animal cruelty, you can go bitch about the factories that make all the synthetic materals in your belts and other products.

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#20 Nov 23, 2007
Scooter wrote:
Look and see how many protestors wear LEATHER shoes, tennis shoes etc. See how many wear LEATHER belts.
Yea and bet their Volvo's and Subarus have heated leather seats as well. Wonder if they have feather comforters or pillows in their homes. Bet ya they do!
PorknBeans

United States

#21 Nov 23, 2007
Ain't never hunted nuthing with synthentic fur on it. Do you have to lead it as far as you do a runnin rabbit or a coon crawlin up a tree? Whats it like with taters and onions?

“Ride free”

Asheville

#22 Nov 23, 2007
Navy Man wrote:
Don't we have more important social issues to pay attention to? I could care less what one's clothes are nade out of.
Let's get the 3000 children in our state out of foster care then i will care about fur.
Thank you!

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#23 Nov 23, 2007
Brandon wrote:
Compassionate voices are needed to help right social wrongs in many arenas. And animals are the ultimate exploited voiceless victims of human arrogance, greed and indifference. I wonder what you are doing to help better the world for children and animals? Usually those who attack those of us out there trying to make a difference for good are the very ones resting on their own laurels and doing nothing to help improve deplorable situations.
It is unfortunate that you don't care. I can't make you be a compassionate caring person. Thank goodness there are so many who DO care and who ARE interested in making the world a better place for ALL of us.
Go eat a tofu burger and make sure you don't wear any leather shoes, belts or have leather in your car or down comforter or feather pillows in your house. Now cut the BS and call yourselves what you are. A bunch of kooks seeking attention. You must have been deprived of attention as children.Or you aren't gettin any at home perhaps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 6 hr Crunchy mouth 9,254
News Why won't IHOP open a restaurant in Wilkes-Barr... (Feb '15) 12 hr Hehehehe 10
News For decades, pan pizza has defined Chicago. Now... (Dec '07) 17 hr Dcasey 76
News Ann Coulter's Anti-Semitism Runs Deep (May '16) 20 hr Fit2Serve 81
News Fact check: Newt Gingrich spreads Seth Rich con... 22 hr Retribution 42
News Tamaqua Memorial Day Parade, services... Sun Jesse Farber 3
News Muslim man sues Little Caesars over pizza label... Sun WATCHING LIVONIA 2
More from around the web