Hanukkah More Than Jewish Holiday

Dec 12, 2012 Full story: KGWN

The pomp and circumstance of Christmas grabs most of the attention during the holiday season, but it's Hanukkah that took center stage at the State Capitol Building Tuesday.

Full Story
Dr Roger Ffolkes

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Dec 18, 2012
The Menorah symbolizes Moses' Burning Bush.
The 8-day Hanukkah miracle prophesies 8 generations to the birth of the savior, who in a watershed replaced Levi with Judah as the priestly clan.
Eric

Addison, IL

#2 Dec 18, 2012
The 7 branch Menorah is described in Shemot 25:31 in great detail. It was ordered by G-d to be built for the tabernacle and symbolizes that the Hebrews are to be a light onto all nations (Isaih 42:6). The 9 branch Chanukiyah is described in the Talmud to commemorate the miracle of oil and lights (Shabbat 21a).

The Chanukah miracle happened in 165 BCE. That's not even 5 generations. According to Matthew a generation between the captivity and 0 CE was about 38 years (Matthew 1:17).
Dr Ffolkes

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Dec 20, 2012
It figures someone would counter with conventional wisdom. But that's why I posted this - to make people think. Most of original Cabala was rewritten along with later books, including Bible, to deter seekers from the God's original intent for us. So you quote gobble-de-gook to appear as if you're smart.
A generation is 20 years. Do the research; don't rely on popular mish-mash.
Eric

Addison, IL

#4 Dec 20, 2012
Dr Ffolkes wrote:
It figures someone would counter with conventional wisdom. But that's why I posted this - to make people think. Most of original Cabala was rewritten along with later books, including Bible, to deter seekers from the God's original intent for us. So you quote gobble-de-gook to appear as if you're smart.
A generation is 20 years. Do the research; don't rely on popular mish-mash.
It is you who is relying upon conventional wisdom as opposed to historical and scriptural truth. The concept of a generation changes over time depending upon life expectancy.

Matthew says that it is 14 generations between the captivity and 0 CE. The captivity began in 597 BCE and ended in 538 BCE. 597 years divided by 14 is 42+; 538 years divided by 14 is 38+ years.

Between you and Matthew, who are we to believe?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Zymbiotics puts the zaur in the kraut 1 hr Jeff Ziebelman 1
7 things to know about epilepsy 2 hr DeeDee86 2
'De-escalation' now part of Ferguson police tra... 2 hr Acme Travel 4
India Hindu group plans religious conversions a... 3 hr Nuhor Lir Gurenna 73
Federal review verifies long waits for veterans... 4 hr huey goins 15
Jeb Bush takes new step toward a White House ru... 4 hr Your Ex 7
Ruble collapse shakes Russian economy, consumers 6 hr Avenger 6
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 11 hr georgie 8,752
More from around the web