Do Interracial Relationships and Self...

Do Interracial Relationships and Self-Hate Go Hand in Hand?

There are 271 comments on the BlogHer story from Sep 20, 2012, titled Do Interracial Relationships and Self-Hate Go Hand in Hand?. In it, BlogHer reports that:

Recently, freelance writer Jenny An caused an online firestorm with her confessional essay I'm an Asian Woman and I Refuse to Ever Date an Asian Man for xoJane.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BlogHer.

AussiPino

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#172 Oct 5, 2012
Human Revolution wrote:
My great-grandmother was African-American, while my great-grandfather was mixed German and Italian. They both fell in love in their mid-late 20's, finding a common interest in religion. Race had nothing to do with it, so no self-hatred. They remained together until my great grandpa's passing in '05. One of their sons, my great uncle, fell in love with a Japanese woman while stationed in Okinawa during his tour of duty. They connected through their interest in art, and to this day are still happily married, and are loved by their 2 daughters and 1 son who are proud of their Japanese and MultiEthnic-American heritage. Hell, my mom is proud of her heritage, being mixed Muskogee and Scottish-American on her mother's side and mixed African-American, German-American, and Italian-American on her father's side, and she's married to my dad, a man of mixed Dutch-American and a similar German-American heritage. So really, there is no self-hate in my family.
This just shows how more diversified America was during those days compared to Australia. Even today, White Australians are still so conservative when it comes to other cultures.
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#173 Oct 5, 2012
AussiPino wrote:
<quoted text>
This just shows how more diversified America was during those days compared to Australia. Even today, White Australians are still so conservative when it comes to other cultures.
Things could be different in Melbourne like you said, but I have heard that Asian-Australian women and white Australian men are the largest IR coupling in your country.

AussiPino

Location hidden

#178 Oct 6, 2012
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>
White 'Australians' are NOT Australian, but the descendants of 19th century British and Irish criminals who were transported to the British penal colony. They are also the most annoying people I've ever come across. The majority of them talk crap and they count every single penny and always try to barter whenever they buy something.
However, I used to date a girl from Melbourne and she was nice so there are exceptions.
White 'Americans'are NOT American, but the descendants of European immigrants which includes of course, English, Irish, German, Welsh, German, Polish, Jews etc etc.

The majority of White Australians are not descended from convicts. Initially this was the case from the beginning of White settlement (1788-1830s), after that period, free settlers began to dominate the migration to Australia.

There are good White Aussies that don't talk crap and count every single penny and barter on everything. A lot of the dumbsh!ts that are like that do travel overseas and give the rest a bad name.
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>
"my cousin is engaged to a beautiful Cantonese girl".
Wait there: flat-faced, wide flat nose with Gorilla like nostrils and long narrow eyes - that's not even considered "beautiful" in the simian world let alone Mason OH.
This offends me a little. Please don't racialize things too much.

AussiPino

Location hidden

#179 Oct 6, 2012
Human Revolution wrote:
<quoted text> Things could be different in Melbourne like you said, but I have heard that Asian-Australian women and white Australian men are the largest IR coupling in your country.
Yes that is correct. But the majority of these White-Australian men with Asian-Australian women are mainly those who find it difficult to form intimate relationships with White-Australian women. Not being mean, but that's the reality.
TheJazuma

Sydney, Australia

#180 Oct 6, 2012
AussiPino wrote:
<quoted text>
White 'Americans'are NOT American, but the descendants of European immigrants which includes of course, English, Irish, German, Welsh, German, Polish, Jews etc etc.
majority German.~approx 1 in 6 are German descendents.
AussiPino wrote:
<quoted text>
The majority of White Australians are not descended from convicts.
A quarter of the early arrivals were, most of them Celtic.
TheJazuma

Sydney, Australia

#181 Oct 6, 2012
AussiPino wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that is correct. But the majority of these White-Australian men with Asian-Australian women are mainly those who find it difficult to form intimate relationships with White-Australian women. Not being mean, but that's the reality.
so,
is the converse
also true?

AussiPino

Location hidden

#182 Oct 6, 2012
TheJazuma wrote:
<quoted text>
majority German.~approx 1 in 6 are German descendents.
<quoted text> A quarter of the early arrivals were, most of them Celtic.
Yes. That is correct. Germans have contributed alot to the American culture and society. Even some American English colloquialisms derived from German and the schooling system is influenced by them.

AussiPino

Location hidden

#183 Oct 6, 2012
TheJazuma wrote:
<quoted text>
so,
is the converse
also true?
Yes, but I have seen some artsy White girls who are interested in Asian guys. Quite attractive too and very open-minded.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#184 Oct 6, 2012
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>Poor guy's probably dying after finding out who his daughter got married to.
Classy. Sorry dude. Got his blessing long ago.

Location hidden

#185 Oct 6, 2012
Human Revolution wrote:
My great-grandmother was African-American, while my great-grandfather was mixed German and Italian. They both fell in love in their mid-late 20's, finding a common interest in religion. Race had nothing to do with it, so no self-hatred. They remained together until my great grandpa's passing in '05. One of their sons, my great uncle, fell in love with a Japanese woman while stationed in Okinawa during his tour of duty. They connected through their interest in art, and to this day are still happily married, and are loved by their 2 daughters and 1 son who are proud of their Japanese and MultiEthnic-American heritage. Hell, my mom is proud of her heritage, being mixed Muskogee and Scottish-American on her mother's side and mixed African-American, German-American, and Italian-American on her father's side, and she's married to my dad, a man of mixed Dutch-American and a similar German-American heritage. So really, there is no self-hate in my family.
Certainly not. You have a rich family history. I'm sure there are some cool things that have become family traditions over the years.
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#186 Oct 6, 2012
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor guy's probably dying after finding out who his daughter got married to.
That's low. Even for your sorry-ass Grouch.
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#187 Oct 6, 2012
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn, make up your mind, are you black or Asian?
Don't go getting any fancy ideas about being white.
Like I said, I have family members through marriage who are Asian. The only black features I have are my kinky hair and more abrasive facial features, but like my mother, I can pass for white. And even if I wasn't white, what's so special about being white?
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#188 Oct 6, 2012
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>
"my cousin is engaged to a beautiful Cantonese girl".
Wait there: flat-faced, wide flat nose with Gorilla like nostrils and long narrow eyes - that's not even considered "beautiful" in the simian world let alone Mason OH.
Grouch, you wouldn't know true beauty if it kicked you in those dryed up saggy rucksacks you call testes. But according to Rye,NY, your mother was a hairy, Jabba the Hutt-esque creature, so maybe you have never been exposed to any beautiful ladies.
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#189 Oct 6, 2012
AussiPino wrote:
<quoted text>
This offends me a little. Please don't racialize things too much.
This offends you "just a little"? Really Aussi? Grouch comes here everyday disrespecting your sister, your mother, and your grandmother, and you can somehow remain civil with him?
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#190 Oct 6, 2012
AussiPino wrote:
<quoted text>
Well as long as these white guys truly want to be with these Asian women and can form intimate, loving relationships with them, then I see no problem with that. Maybe some white Australian girls have a "cold" personality.
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#191 Oct 6, 2012
AussiPino wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but I have seen some artsy White girls who are interested in Asian guys. Quite attractive too and very open-minded.
I know exactly what you are talking about, but these liberal arts girls will date anybody, regardless of race, ethnicity, and nationality... And gender;) But I love these types of girls. Cute, petite, quirky dress-code, especially those sexy hipster glasses.
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#192 Oct 6, 2012
DerekJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Certainly not. You have a rich family history. I'm sure there are some cool things that have become family traditions over the years.
Oh of course. I am very proud of my multi-cultural heritage, and someday, when I settle down and start a family, I intend on sharing that heritage with my wife and passing it on to my children.

Location hidden

#198 Oct 6, 2012
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>You're right, that was uncalled for. I apologize.
Accepted.
TheJazuma

Sydney, Australia

#199 Oct 6, 2012
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right Gayzuma, you tell him! I'm with you on this one!
BTW, Prettyuglyinpink seems to think you're bisexual so we've now re-named you the Bizuma, but if you prefer the Gayzuma let us know and we'll stick with tradition and continue to refer to you by your former name.
Prettyinpink does not think I'm bisexual or gay or even asexual at all lol.

Like I said before, you love projecting your yellow fetish fantasies on me and I'm fine with that coz what you fantasize is your business.
However, pretending that I chose to accept your fantasies as reality is rather facile on your part.

I prefer TheJazuma, thanks.
Human Revolution

Loveland, OH

#200 Oct 6, 2012
Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay slime ball, I already ate humble pie, now stop kissing his ass.
Why would I kiss Derek J's ass. I agree with him most of the time because he's one of the few people on this website that makes any damn sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Respect for your country is an important part ... 1 min Marie-Luise_J 25
News Raiderettes Visit Japan - Group 2 (Feb '06) 1 hr jamall 131
News Hanukkah With the Jews for Jesus (Mar '15) 2 hr Lips9945 42
News Trump's parade of retired generals raises quest... 5 hr Slurpee3033 37
News Police: Fake news story led man to shoot inside... 5 hr Lollypop8928 8
News Slovenians vote on whether to uphold same-sex m... (Dec '15) 6 hr fathiwady 13
News Why I still love this community 6 hr Jackson Brown 36
More from around the web