Do Interracial Relationships and Self-Hate Go Hand in Hand?

Sep 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BlogHer

Recently, freelance writer Jenny An caused an online firestorm with her confessional essay I'm an Asian Woman and I Refuse to Ever Date an Asian Man for xoJane.

Comments
1 - 20 of 271 Comments Last updated Nov 25, 2012
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Human Revolution

Fordyce, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Many Asian men will complain about AF/WM, using terms such as "white-washed" and "bananas" and other insulting names to attack these relationships, while simultaneously complaining about the lack of WF/AM couples and celebrating the very few that exist, but evidently, they are not self-hating. Double-standard?
TheJazuma

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

Human Revolution wrote:
Many Asian men will complain about AF/WM, using terms such as "white-washed" and "bananas" and other insulting names to attack these relationships, while simultaneously complaining about the lack of WF/AM couples and celebrating the very few that exist, but evidently, they are not self-hating. Double-standard?
A case of sour grapes mixed with hypocrisy and self resignation regarding the overseas born sinodont mongoloids

“I'm an East Asian male.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

Human Revolution wrote:
Many Asian men... complaining about the lack of WF/AM couples and celebrating the very few that exist
We don't want WW. We want AW.
jest3rlux

Gold Coast, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

it's a personal choice when it comes to interacial relationships as how can you control attraction if there is chemistry between you and someone you find attractive regardless of ethnicity.
but for some reason people tend to immediately judge an asian woman's intentions for wanting a white man but not for asian men. perhaps it is because these relationships are widespread.

asian women in the west are not constrained by family traditions so are more likely to date interacially than east asian men, but of course these attitudes are changing for asian men living in a mostly white dominated society. they too, would like to date interacially but will find it hard to get a western women compared to asian women because of barriers that is preventing them from doing so. the statement does sound like a double standard.

asian men need to realise that asian women in the west are starting to embrace feminism because of integration into mainstream white culture unlike their foreign counterparts, so some asian men won't be able to measure up to these independent and career-minded women, so instead they want something different like white women who still value family traditions and are submissive and less educated than them, but regardless of ethnicity these are qualities asian men want.
Aussie Bob

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Judged:

I think freelance-writer Jenny An is being a bit harsh, ruling out men of her own race. It it makes you feel any better, plenty of women "from all races" are like that. Worth mentioning is the fact that "all races" have more women than men & this is a naturally occurring phenomenon. For that reason, there will always be a percentage of women who "date IR", perhaps even exclusively.
Human Revolution

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

Aussie Bob wrote:
I think freelance-writer Jenny An is being a bit harsh, ruling out men of her own race. It it makes you feel any better, plenty of women "from all races" are like that. Worth mentioning is the fact that "all races" have more women than men & this is a naturally occurring phenomenon. For that reason, there will always be a percentage of women who "date IR", perhaps even exclusively.
Jenny An?
Human Revolution

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2012

TheJazuma wrote:
<quoted text>
A case of sour grapes mixed with hypocrisy and self resignation regarding the overseas born sinodont mongoloids
Sinodont mongoloids? Elaborate.
Aussie Bob

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Human Revolution wrote:
<quoted text>Jenny An?
Read the top of the thread. Jenny An wrote the original article.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Judged:

What I don't understand is why certain Asian-American women, Asian-Australian women and Asian women born in other Western countries have this inferior-complex. I mean, Asian women tend to be more accepted more easily by Whites compared to Asian men and I believe that these women need to realize that they don't have it so bad compared to other people.

Just my observation.

“To be or not to be”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Judged:

Good luck to Jenny An. That's all I can say. She can like all the people she wants. But in order to feel good it's got to be a two way relationship. Do the people she loves like her too?

Secondly, there are many people who are like Jenny An. It's like you are born in the wrong envelop. Your skin is yellow but your mind thinks white. Does that ring a bell to you? Yes, that makes you think about boys who want to become girls. Of course, if Jenny An lived in Asia where there are just Asian people, she would suffer a lot and would become a spinster eventually. But in the USA she can have access to white people, she can now declare her love and desire to become one of them just like a ladyboy who can afford to have surgery.

In the past, and this is especially true in Asia, when a country won a war, not only they won territory, but they won all the enemy's women too. And of course, the leader of the winners won the queen or the wife of his enemy. That is why a Asian female/White Male relationship is frowned up on where a Asian male/White female relation is hailed as a great achievement, a prize.
Sara

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Judged:

Asian women usually can only get the low class, socially undesirable white males of the white race.

Most hot, good looking and attractive white males are usually with other hot, attractive white females.

Asian women are essentially taking our left overs that we don't want.
To Sara

Pelham, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Judged:

Sara wrote:
Asian women usually can only get the low class, socially undesirable white males of the white race.
Most hot, good looking and attractive white males are usually with other hot, attractive white females.
Asian women are essentially taking our left overs that we don't want.
...Funny, I've heard insecure Asian people say the same thing.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

Judged:

To Sara wrote:
<quoted text>
...Funny, I've heard insecure Asian people say the same thing.
Insecure people of all races try to peddle this crap.
Human Revolution

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Aussie Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the top of the thread. Jenny An wrote the original article.
I see now. Thanks.
To DerekJ

Pelham, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

DerekJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Insecure people of all races try to peddle this crap.
Your mom told me to peddle this crap. While she was sucking me off.
Human Revolution

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

What I want to know is, are these relationships as openly hated in reality as they are online? Will some random white female or Asian male walk up to the common AF/WM couple and verbally attack their relationship? And who hates these relationships more? Asian males or white females?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

To DerekJ wrote:
<quoted text>Your mom told me to peddle this crap. While she was sucking me off.
Please put down your parents' keyboard and step back away from it...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Judged:

Human Revolution wrote:
What I want to know is, are these relationships as openly hated in reality as they are online? Will some random white female or Asian male walk up to the common AF/WM couple and verbally attack their relationship? And who hates these relationships more? Asian males or white females?
Everything is blown out of proportion on the Internet.
To DerekJ

Pelham, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

DerekJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please put down your parents' keyboard and step back away from it...
Not until your mom's done copulating with me while I type. Stick around for it.
Human Revolution

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

To DerekJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not until your mom's done copulating with me while I type. Stick around for it.
What the hell man? He was calling out Sara's insecurities just like you were. Yes Sara, you are a jealous b!tch.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Life Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Be Our Brewer for a Day Festival brings homebre... 50 min silly rabbit 13
Why do I often crave eating clay? (Jan '09) 1 hr Curious 8,073
First Saturday, Free Barre Class: Your Weekend (Aug '13) 1 hr Bill Hayes 3
Eritrea: The givers and the takers 2 hr Mary 1
10 things to know about corporate inversions 4 hr Cat74 1
Fraud at the CDC Uncovered? 4 hr ANTI VACCINE UNDE... 5
AlignLife Wauwatosa Thanksgiving in July Yields... 5 hr Chiropractor from... 2

Search the Life Forum:
•••