At 75, Stamford man patents invention - Greenwich Time

Diran Varzhabedian has learned a lot in his 75 years. But one lesson the retired electronics engineer may have not learned is how to give up. Full Story
Vox Pop

Waterbury, CT

#2 Aug 12, 2009
Brilliant engineer!
Vox-Pop

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#3 Aug 12, 2009
What a wonderful idea.....good luck!
Vox--Pop

Old Saybrook, CT

#4 Aug 13, 2009
Vox-Pop wrote:
It wasn't his idea. Similar products exist. But give him credit for supposedly building a better mousetrap. Details are lacking in the article. Learning opportunity for GT writer and/or editor: It would have been nice to learn why his invention is better then the rest.
Vox Pop

Waterbury, CT

#5 Aug 13, 2009
Now it's umbra and penumbra.

Who knew?
truthist

Tampa, FL

#6 Aug 13, 2009
Vox--Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't his idea. Similar products exist. But give him credit for supposedly building a better mousetrap. Details are lacking in the article. Learning opportunity for GT writer and/or editor: It would have been nice to learn why his invention is better then the rest.
Well.. You can't get a patent for a better mouse trap. I will read the article before I can say more.
Vox--Pop

Amston, CT

#7 Aug 13, 2009
truthist wrote:
<quoted text>Well.. You can't get a patent for a better mouse trap. I will read the article before I can say more.
If it is an improvement of the design and does not infringe any of the claims in the others, then why not?
truthist

Tampa, FL

#8 Aug 13, 2009
Vox-Pop wrote:
The news says: his design is for a rechargeable-battery generator that can power appliances during a blackout.
Vox--Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't his idea.
How do you know? Read above.
<quoted text>
Similar products exist.
You have no basis to say this without knowing more. You are also ignoring that the US Patent Office has given his invention a patent number. See his picture with the paper?
<quoted text>
But give him credit for supposedly building a better mousetrap.
Not worthy a patent as I posted before.
<quoted text>
Details are lacking in the article. Learning opportunity for GT writer and/or editor: It would have been nice to learn why his invention is better then the rest.
There is enough for a news story on the man. You can find the patent to read.

Then you would have to study the prior art to decide why this invention is better than the rest. Surely the newspaper is not to publish what you would like.
Vox--Pop

Amston, CT

#9 Aug 13, 2009
Vox Pop wrote:
Now it's umbra and penumbra.
Who knew?
I was contemplating whether to use Vox--Pop or Vox-Pop-Pop.

It is only temporary.
truthist

Tampa, FL

#10 Aug 13, 2009
Vox--Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is an improvement of the design and does not infringe any of the claims in the others, then why not?
Have you tried that line yourself? I know for a fact what I wrote and I use it as a guide for my inventions.

Good luck.
Vox--Pop

Amston, CT

#11 Aug 13, 2009
truthist wrote:
<quoted text>The news says: his design is for a rechargeable-battery generator that can power appliances during a blackout.
<quoted text>How do you know? Read above.
<quoted text>You have no basis to say this without knowing more. You are also ignoring that the US Patent Office has given his invention a patent number. See his picture with the paper?
<quoted text>Not worthy a patent as I posted before.
<quoted text>There is enough for a news story on the man. You can find the patent to read.
Then you would have to study the prior art to decide why this invention is better than the rest. Surely the newspaper is not to publish what you would like.
What I meant when I said that it wasn't his idea, is that most likely it wasn't an original idea. How do I know that? Answer: Beacuse the inventor in the article said that he had to defend his invention against 35 existing patents. That tells me that his invention is an improvement on the original art, and he was able to argue that he did not infringe on any existing claims on those patents.

BTW, why should I have to get the patent and study the prior art? The inventor could have stated in one line why this is an improvement on the existing art. "My invention is better than the rest because...."
truthist

Tampa, FL

#12 Aug 13, 2009
Vox--Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
What I meant when I said that it wasn't his idea, is that most likely it wasn't an original idea. How do I know that? Answer: Beacuse the inventor in the article said that he had to defend his invention against 35 existing patents.
That means, most probably, the prior art. I would not be talking like that myself but it looks like he did not have an attorney to do the walk through the system. Every invention claim has to respond on the relation to the prior art. Some could have much more than 35. It just means from all angles to show that this claim is not about a better mouse trap.
<quoted text>
That tells me that his invention is an improvement on the original art, and he was able to argue that he did not infringe on any existing claims on those patents.
No, not necessarily. Read above.
<quoted text>
BTW, why should I have to get the patent and study the prior art?
I was being helpful after seeing your interest in patents.
<quoted text>
The inventor could have stated in one line why this is an improvement on the existing art. "My invention is better than the rest because...."
Would you bet he did not? I think he did but the news makers did not want to do all the maketing for him. This as is already helped him a great deal. Are you him or a friend of his?
Vox--Pop

New Britain, CT

#13 Aug 13, 2009
truthist wrote:
<quoted text>That means, most probably, the prior art. I would not be talking like that myself but it looks like he did not have an attorney to do the walk through the system. Every invention claim has to respond on the relation to the prior art. Some could have much more than 35. It just means from all angles to show that this claim is not about a better mouse trap.
<quoted text>No, not necessarily. Read above.
<quoted text>I was being helpful after seeing your interest in patents.
<quoted text>Would you bet he did not? I think he did but the news makers did not want to do all the maketing for him. This as is already helped him a great deal. Are you him or a friend of his?
I am not him or his friend. I am baffled by your claim that this isn't just a better mousetrap. Are you saying this is a completely new novel invention? It's obvious to me that if he had to defend it so much, then the other 35 patents concerned generators that were very similar to his except for something or some things he did differently. He was able to convince the Patent Office that what he did was a big enough difference after they viewed it as an infringement. I am not trying to take anything away from him, but it is still a generator, it is not a spaceship for Neptune that uses a propulsion system that the world has never seen.

Also, I agree that he may have told the reporter why his invention was better, but maybe the reporter or editor chose not to write about. IMO, this was a mistake.

I know that I could get a copy of the patent and the new patent may list other patent numbers for the prior art. But I choose not to spend my time and money to find out why. If he were a friend of mine, I would simply call him and ask. A one line blurb in the article would have been adequate.

Just wondering, are you an attorney/inventor?
truthist

Lithia, FL

#14 Aug 13, 2009
I think he did but the news makers did not want to do all the ma[r]keting for him. <corrected for #12>

I have no additional comment and I repeated a few things already.
Vox Pop

Waterbury, CT

#15 Aug 13, 2009
Vox--Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not him or his friend. I am baffled by your claim that this isn't just a better mousetrap. Are you saying this is a completely new novel invention? It's obvious to me that if he had to defend it so much, then the other 35 patents concerned generators that were very similar to his except for something or some things he did differently. He was able to convince the Patent Office that what he did was a big enough difference after they viewed it as an infringement. I am not trying to take anything away from him, but it is still a generator, it is not a spaceship for Neptune that uses a propulsion system that the world has never seen.
Also, I agree that he may have told the reporter why his invention was better, but maybe the reporter or editor chose not to write about. IMO, this was a mistake.
I know that I could get a copy of the patent and the new patent may list other patent numbers for the prior art. But I choose not to spend my time and money to find out why. If he were a friend of mine, I would simply call him and ask. A one line blurb in the article would have been adequate.
Just wondering, are you an attorney/inventor?
Well, I am a friend of his. I know he worked long and hard on this project, and managed it through the approval process on a shoestring budget - of necessity. He did all this overcoming health issues and from a wheelchair. Should similar circumstances befall me, I only hope I can do as well!
Vox--Pop

Middlefield, CT

#16 Aug 13, 2009
Vox Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I am a friend of his. I know he worked long and hard on this project, and managed it through the approval process on a shoestring budget - of necessity. He did all this overcoming health issues and from a wheelchair. Should similar circumstances befall me, I only hope I can do as well!
It's a feather in his cap. It sounds like he spent some time at Norden.
With that, the umbra will fade out.
Vox Pop

Waterbury, CT

#17 Aug 14, 2009
Vox--Pop wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a feather in his cap. It sounds like he spent some time at Norden.
With that, the umbra will fade out.
Be well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patent / Trademark Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Levittown Orthodontist Secures Patent for Devic... Tue Gerald Vonberger 1
Why we need Patent Attorney? (Nov '13) Dec 14 danneilhunk 3
Groupon in trademark fight Nov 26 ChandraPeers 4
question about the trademark Interact Nov '14 Mark 1
Del. Norton Introduces Bill to Strip NFL of Tax... Nov '14 RayOne 1
Similar Trademarks (Jul '13) Nov '14 ChandraPeers 2
Patent or Copyright (Nov '12) Nov '14 ChandraPeers 2
More from around the web