akron reinventing hall of fame's role

akron reinventing hall of fame's role

There are 42 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jun 17, 2008, titled akron reinventing hall of fame's role. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Hopes were sky high when Akron clinched the deal to land the National Inventors Hall of Fame almost two decades ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Canton, OH

#1 Jun 17, 2008
{{No one expected gate revenue to pay the tab for Inventure Place}}

Hmmm, I don't recall the city hall hero ever mentionin' that fact while he was spendin' tax dollars on this project.

{{{the city's $6.25 million loan to the hall of fame}}}

Gosh, we could have built SUMMA a critical care center on Market St for that amount of investment. Oh wait, we did that too.

{{{''Akron is a great place to run a business...}}}}

Yes, especially iff'n that business is Goodyear, Firestone, GoJo, or one of Bennan's downtown projects.

{{{Fink said.''It's not a great place to run a museum.''}}}

I have to agree with Mr. Fink on this. The museums here aren't very good. Too much spent on the architecture of the buildin' and not enough spent on the exhibits inside.

We might as well have rusted frogs and flowers on display.

This story is jes' another reminder of how the city hall hero's developement ideas fail to achieve any prosperous goals.
knew it

Akron, OH

#2 Jun 17, 2008
I knew from the beginning that this stupid idea would fail---what a stale exhibit and unchanging--then those plaques way up in the building---borrrring!---If you want to read about scientists, you can pick up a book or ply the internet---that museam warranted one visit--that was enough.
Show's how out of touch Lieberth and so on really are---they think they are charismatic leaders rubbing elbows all day---they get caught up in their own myths---spend our tax money on 'iffy'
projects and then go home to their secure environments licking their wounds---meantime, Akronites are the sufferers with no jobs.

“ Free Your Mind ....”

Since: Oct 07

Avon Lake, OH

#3 Jun 17, 2008
Let's see... the CEO makes $380,000 a year, plus a $50,000 expense account, and he commutes back and forth between California and Akron.

Did they really think the place was going to make enough money to pay that much to one person for doing a bad part time job ?

Sounds like a lot of dead weight to me, even though he did turn down his $50,000 bonuses.
Fredrick

United States

#4 Jun 17, 2008
This is Akron we're talking about. Not exactly known for its intellectual citizenry. Most of the people in Akron couldn't care less about science, let alone the people who make it happen.
What about Lieberth

Bedford, OH

#5 Jun 17, 2008
Can't blame this one on Dave!
What about Lieberth

Bedford, OH

#6 Jun 17, 2008
Let see the steam fiasco, the Civic losses, the dying Brennan Hotel, the Greystone became a mill stone, the building sold for a dollar in the heart of downtown, now the failure of the inventors Hall, did Phelps and Don do anything that made sense?
GEE

Youngstown, OH

#7 Jun 17, 2008
i will never support the hall of fame after they rejected the admission of my great great grandad C. Clab Byler IV the inventor of the famous amish dual goat plow.
Duke for Mayor

Anaheim, CA

#8 Jun 17, 2008
What about Lieberth wrote:
Can't blame this one on Dave!
Maybe not. But I have no doubt that someday, his pink sequined thong will be hanging in a museum somewhere in the City.

woof
Thinking out loud

Canton, OH

#9 Jun 17, 2008
knew it wrote:
I knew from the beginning that this stupid idea would fail---what a stale exhibit and unchanging--then those plaques way up in the building---borrrring!---If you want to read about scientists, you can pick up a book or ply the internet---that museam warranted one visit--that was enough.
Show's how out of touch Lieberth and so on really are---they think they are charismatic leaders rubbing elbows all day---they get caught up in their own myths---spend our tax money on 'iffy'
projects and then go home to their secure environments licking their wounds---meantime, Akronites are the sufferers with no jobs.
Gotta wonder how 20 years ago you thought the internet was the place people were looking up anything. LOL
Voice of Reality

Strongsville, OH

#10 Jun 17, 2008
Fredrick wrote:
This is Akron we're talking about. Not exactly known for its intellectual citizenry. Most of the people in Akron couldn't care less about science, let alone the people who make it happen.
Your comment proves it.
suz

United States

#11 Jun 17, 2008
I didn't even know where this stupid museum was! so much for throwing all that money into this seed...
sounds like they've been faking it to the top on this one item, too ... no gleaming towers of intellectual capability here - so why was it placed in Akron?
No one would know what to do with an invention if it killed them.
ugh.
so many farcities going on here in Summit.
WriterGirl

Warren, OH

#12 Jun 17, 2008
It had possibilities, but the hands-on exhibits were really lame - my nieces and nephews (and I!) were bored in a matter of minutes. Had the museum had more engaging displays, better hands-on exhibits, workshops for visitors, etc., it could have been a more exciting place to visit.
patty

Marengo, OH

#13 Jun 17, 2008
and the Akron Public schools are spending $$ on a school down there also! Why is the Central-Hower building going to done away with after all the buildings are done Here's a builing a stones throw away and yet here's a waste of tax-payers money go figure.
Parking problems

United States

#14 Jun 17, 2008
The biggest drawback about the museum is driving the one-way streets around there and having to park in the dark, dark, subterranean decks, and it's deadly crossing the street to other parking. People do not want to drive and park in a downtown, especially with little kids along, and the known criminal factor hanging out in downtown.

We took our kids there many times in its first few years and we held our kids' birthday parties there. It was great. But driving there and parking stinks. If it had been built in a suburban area with parking in the OPEN, right around the building, it would not be in the mess it's in.
Questions Unanswered

Canton, OH

#15 Jun 17, 2008
Why weren't the substantial earnings from the museum's affiliated programs used to keep the museum operating? How many museums separate out income so that the core operation, the museum, must make enough money on its own to continue functioning? I think Akron has received a bad deal from the hall's managers.
Power to the People

Mansfield, OH

#16 Jun 17, 2008
{{{Fink said.''It's not a great place to run a museum.''}}}

Beta: I have to agree with Mr. Fink on this. The museums here aren't very good. Too much spent on the architecture of the buildin' and not enough spent on the exhibits inside.

The Akron Art Museum is first class inside and out, but I doubt you'd recognize art if it hit you in the head.

Also Stan Hywet is an impressive example of a museum that serves the local community as well as serving as an outstanding attraction for visiting tourists.

As for the former Inventure Place, I wish it well in its new format as a magnet school. Let's hope it succeeds as well as Miller South has.
The Real Deal

London, KY

#17 Jun 17, 2008
patty wrote:
and the Akron Public schools are spending $$ on a school down there also! Why is the Central-Hower building going to done away with after all the buildings are done Here's a builing a stones throw away and yet here's a waste of tax-payers money go figure.
This facility was a sham from day one. No one cares about this museum or what it has to offer. I have never been to a more boring venue. What a waste and the plans to make it into a middle school for math and othr sciences is also a joke. Mark my word, as with other white elephants authored by the City of Akron, the city will eventually con UA into buying it and saving it from the recking ball.
Anti-Whiner

Canton, OH

#18 Jun 17, 2008
Wish some of you would move somewhere else where your depressing, small-town attitudes would serve you better.
I am buzzing with joy

Uniontown, OH

#19 Jun 17, 2008
Think about it. Ten people employed make $100,000 plus. Board of director meet for board meeting all over the U.S.A. and expense paid. Fla in the winter.What do you think! Let it go down the tubes, AU can use the space.
Logic

Akron, OH

#21 Jun 17, 2008
Well this is terrible! And the new townhomes will eventually go to AMHA cause whose gonna buy a $150,000 home in the middle of Akron. I thought we where trying to attract and better class of people downtown?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patent / Trademark Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NFL Team Asks Supreme Court to Consider 'Redski... Apr 26 discuss 1
How do you decide where to get your patent draw... Mar '16 shoozy 1
News Trademark expiration a symbolic end to Firehous... (Nov '12) Feb '16 William Rogers 5
personal versus corporate liabitlity Jan '16 ed-guy 1
News Top police body-cam companies get embroiled in ... Jan '16 DARPA 1
Brand/Trademark Similar With National Flag (Oct '15) Jan '16 SathishKm 4
News Appeals court says gov't can't reject offensive... Jan '16 Mite Be 56
More from around the web