Would this be a trademark? Copyright?

Posted in the Patent / Trademark Law Forum

Sheila

United States

#1 Jun 12, 2011
I have an idea for a piece of art I want to create. It would be in the category of mixed media and I want to lay claim so to speak to the process. Now I know that if you decide to improve on, say, the flyswatter with a motorized swatter or something, that is legal because you are changing the original and I think I know that, because the end result is three dimensional, you would need a trademark for protection. Well my artistic piece is going to be three dimensional and so if I want to protect my process I need to get a trademark as opposed to a copyright right? Or can I use a copyright?

Better example:

I saw an article in an art magazine once in which a lady made some little itty bitty chairs. They all had basically the same body and were made out of the same components except there are a few that are more elaborate. Did she trademark that method or could she have just gotten a copyright? I'm assuming since her work was in a national magazine she did one or the other.

Thanks,
Sheila

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patent / Trademark Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Levittown Orthodontist Secures Patent for Devic... Dec 16 Gerald Vonberger 1
Why we need Patent Attorney? (Nov '13) Dec 14 danneilhunk 3
Groupon in trademark fight Nov 26 ChandraPeers 4
question about the trademark Interact Nov '14 Mark 1
Del. Norton Introduces Bill to Strip NFL of Tax... Nov '14 RayOne 1
Similar Trademarks (Jul '13) Nov '14 ChandraPeers 2
Patent or Copyright (Nov '12) Nov '14 ChandraPeers 2
More from around the web