Little engine patent that could

Long before gas prices sped past $3 and before hybrids got hot, Gary Griffiths had an idea about how to improve car engines. Full Story
Justin McElwain

Beech Grove, IN

#1 May 8, 2007
If he had images from www.photospherix.com , we could see the product so much better.

They are an Indianapolis based firm working on technology as well.

“END THE FED!”

Since: Feb 07

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

#2 May 8, 2007
This guy is a good friend of mine! He married both my sister and I in a double wedding. He's been 'obsessed with this for years! He deserves this, he's a great guy!

“END THE FED!”

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

#3 May 8, 2007
Justin McElwain wrote:
If he had images from www.photospherix.com , we could see the product so much better.
They are an Indianapolis based firm working on technology as well.
I copied your post, and will suggest it to him.
ASC

Detroit, MI

#5 May 8, 2007
Too bad we can't see a diagram of the camshaft and how it works. I'm wondering how this design is different than the cam in Honda's VTEC engine (like what's in the Honda S2000). Seems like all the big auto makers have some sort of variable intake electronic timing control camshaft on the market.

This must be something different though. My hats off to the guy.
Good luck! Hopefully it's the real deal and someone at GM or Ford uses it to get more competitive with the foreign automakers.
Unsubscriber

United States

#6 May 8, 2007
Good luck with that INVENTION, there Bucky. Too bad the patent system is nothing more than a voluntary technical tax. It protects nothing and is worth nothing. The USPTO will grant a patent to anyone for anything (so long as they cough up the $$$), and if someone wants to use the idea all they have to do is submit an identical application and wait for the reviewer to stamp his approval.

Then you have the likes of the Micr0$0ft, who will just steal your idea and dare you to sue them, all the while claiming INNOVATION.

Good luck indeed.

“END THE FED!”

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

#7 May 8, 2007
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser...
Now you can see it. It's not what Ford has been doing. Hopefully, this saves us all money.
bucky

Carmel, IN

#8 May 8, 2007
Unsubscriber wrote:
Good luck with that INVENTION, there Bucky. Too bad the patent system is nothing more than a voluntary technical tax. It protects nothing and is worth nothing. The USPTO will grant a patent to anyone for anything (so long as they cough up the $$$), and if someone wants to use the idea all they have to do is submit an identical application and wait for the reviewer to stamp his approval.
Then you have the likes of the Micr0$0ft, who will just steal your idea and dare you to sue them, all the while claiming INNOVATION.
Good luck indeed.
Funny- I submitted a patent for a new type of stepping stone a couple of years ago and got turned down because there was already a similar patent that had been issued in 1991 .
Scott

Indianapolis, IN

#9 May 8, 2007
He better keep it well under wraps until he can guarantee getting paid for it. His biggest problem is once the Chinese reverse engineer it, his patent won't be worth squat .... and there's nothing he can personally do about it, and our gov't won't intervene either.
INB40

AOL

#10 May 8, 2007
At best, the big "three" will buy up the patent and then bury it like they did the Wankel years ago.
BMW Listens

Louisville, KY

#12 May 9, 2007
5/8/07 original email to customer.service@bmw.com

BMW,

Could you please forward this article to your engineering department via email?
Owner 1996 BMW 750iL

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...

http://www.indystar.com/assets/pdf/BG7251358....

5/9/07 reply;

Mr Carey,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We very much appreciate your constructive ideas. Contact with our customers provides us with a great deal of information and ideas that allow us to develop products and services that are tailored to our customers' needs.

Your message has been forwarded to the relevant department for assessment.

Kind Regards,
BMW Customer Service Team

----------
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Board of Management: Norbert Reithofer, Chairman,
Frank-Peter Arndt, Ernst Baumann, Klaus Draeger, Michael Ganal, Stefan Krause
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Joachim Milberg
Registered in: Munich HRB 42243

“END THE FED!”

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

#13 May 9, 2007
BMW Listens wrote:
5/8/07 original email to customer.service@bmw.com
BMW,
Could you please forward this article to your engineering department via email?
Owner 1996 BMW 750iL
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...
http://www.indystar.com/assets/pdf/BG7251358....
5/9/07 reply;
Mr Carey,
Thank you for your e-mail.
We very much appreciate your constructive ideas. Contact with our customers provides us with a great deal of information and ideas that allow us to develop products and services that are tailored to our customers' needs.
Your message has been forwarded to the relevant department for assessment.
Kind Regards,
BMW Customer Service Team
----------
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft
Board of Management: Norbert Reithofer, Chairman,
Frank-Peter Arndt, Ernst Baumann, Klaus Draeger, Michael Ganal, Stefan Krause
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Joachim Milberg
Registered in: Munich HRB 42243
I'm sure Gary appreciates the effort, but GM is already talking to them. A retired GM engineer,(and now a GM retained consultant for the big $$), has been assisting Gary for a few years on this.
Look at the drawings on the patent page, this is really going to be big!
INB40

AOL

#14 May 9, 2007
WMJ-USA....

My goodness, I hope you don't kiss you family with that mouth.
INB40

AOL

#15 May 9, 2007
I first read about Mr. Wankel's invention in the mid-fifties in the Popular Mechanic's magazines that my Dad subscribed to. It was in the popular press from time to time and the notion that when the American automakers saw that it might be a threat to the current engine designs of the day, they were instrumental in seeing that it never received any serious attention here. Had it been further developed into a "better" alternative to the gasoline engine, the cost to develop and retool for a completely new concept would have put a huge dent in profits. My cursory research did turn up a paragraph quoted below that mentions GM turning away from the design.
"When it was designed in 1974, the American Motors Pacer was originally designed to incorporate a Wankel engine designed by GM, but this idea was scrapped before they hit the showrooms in 1975. Part of the demise of this feature was the rising fuel crisis and concerns about emission legislation in the United States. The Wankel engine did not comply with emission levels, so in 1974 GM canceled its development. When the idea was abandoned, it left AMC struggling to find an alternative. The design was reconfigured to house the AMC inline six-cylinder engine."

And to all posters here: will you join me in condemning those who insult you with nasty names and remarks. It is so unnecessary.
WMP313

Sterling Heights, MI

#16 Jul 11, 2007
ah, more words of wisdom from Paul Lacy of Global Insight. He probably thinks a cam phaser comes from the starship "Enterprise".
Johny

Bourbonnais, IL

#17 Jul 25, 2007
paisleyposey wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure Gary appreciates the effort, but GM is already talking to them. A retired GM engineer,(and now a GM retained consultant for the big $$), has been assisting Gary for a few years on this.
Look at the drawings on the patent page, this is really going to be big!
Is Gary going to license this to GM or start his company and sell it to everyone?

“END THE FED!”

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

#18 Jul 26, 2007
Johny wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Gary going to license this to GM or start his company and sell it to everyone?
His motivation was to give American car companies a competitive edge. And to reduce emissions. He's talked to several companies, I'll have to ask him about what's taking shape.
Johny

Bourbonnais, IL

#19 Jul 26, 2007
paisleyposey wrote:
<quoted text>
His motivation was to give American car companies a competitive edge. And to reduce emissions. He's talked to several companies, I'll have to ask him about what's taking shape.
Nothing wrong with helping U.S. car companies and the environment while helping his own pocketbook at the same time!

“END THE FED!”

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!

#20 Jul 26, 2007
Johny wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing wrong with helping U.S. car companies and the environment while helping his own pocketbook at the same time!
That is truly ,earned income', not like some politicians we know...lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patent / Trademark Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OinkSM Secret Sauce Patent Issued Aug '14 JasonTT 1
Patent question Aug '14 JasonTT 2
Maker of RevitaLash , Files Suit Against Allerg... (Aug '09) Aug '14 jazzpollard 65
Need help understanding Patent claims legal doc... Aug '14 Jenny 1
Redskins trademark yanked by patent office Jun '14 WeTheSheeple 70
Selling trademarks that are not currently used (Jun '13) Jun '14 MattsJone 2
Slogan vs. Brand name in trademarks (Apr '14) Apr '14 Jeff T 1

Patent / Trademark Law People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE