terri

Saint Louis, MO

#7585 Mar 25, 2013
Virginia Lee wrote:
Hell NO Terri, they still want people to chance chantix. I guess according to Pfizer a life is worth around $100,000. And much less then that if you ingest chantix with all the warnings from now on. I guess we will find out in the next few weeks. Pfizer will continue to lie and deny the damages of their poison. I bet reglan is in chantix like that one law firm reported and this is how they are trying to keep it hush hush.
Virginia, question -- if enough people reFUSE such a paultry amt., wouldn't that force Pfizer BACK to the bargaining table? I mean, SERIOUSLY??!!!...that's an INSULT!! This drug is for REAL!!!! People REALLY were HURT by it!!!!

.....I'm so disillusioned...we really DON'T matter, do we...?
Virginia Lee

Hopewell, VA

#7586 Mar 26, 2013
DeAnna wrote:
<quoted text> iam having the same thing.... my dr. is in awwwwww like hes never seen it.Ive gained 20 lbs.. my feet n legs swell my feet hurt n i have a horrible rash on my arms hands shins back .... i cant sleep its horrible.idk what to do
STOP taking CHANTIX!!! You are obviously allergic to it. Get a new doctor too!
Virginia Lee

Hopewell, VA

#7587 Mar 26, 2013
terri wrote:
<quoted text>
Virginia, question -- if enough people reFUSE such a paultry amt., wouldn't that force Pfizer BACK to the bargaining table? I mean, SERIOUSLY??!!!...that's an INSULT!! This drug is for REAL!!!! People REALLY were HURT by it!!!!
.....I'm so disillusioned...we really DON'T matter, do we...?
You are not delusional just disillusioned! The wool has been removed from your eyes. You are starting to see the big picture. The lead lawyers think it is a fair settlement or they would not have brought it back to their clients. I have read of only one person saying to take their $5, 000 offer for the 5 days in the psych ward and stick it. They also removed their post so ... what does that tell you? Obviously Pfizer thinks they have more to loose since settling the first 2 cases instead of shine light on the POISON chantix. I am not sure if the world deserves to be saved from chantix. Look at how many people will still take a gambling that roulette chamber is empty. Only those of us in the 3% category of permanet brain damage from chantux even understand that stopping chantix caused our side effects.
scott thomas

Elizabethtown, PA

#7588 Mar 27, 2013
no offense, but I'm alittle sick of hearing about it Virginia. Theres warnings all over the place about this drug..theres LOTs of information out there about this drug. Anyone who tries to quit smoking and choses the chantix route would be slightly foolish for not researching as much as possible and REALLY stupid if they just took it blindly. But ya know what?..IT DOES HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE QUIT a major, major addiction. Im sorry for the bad experiances Ive read on this thread,..i really am. In some cases,..(not all) it seems like somehow chantix has made an existing underlying condition come to the surface...and perhaps made some existing problems even worse. But in fairness...IT SAYS IT COULD right on the label. I think everyone is different..and everyone will react differently..but the bottom line is tht this med got me off smokes for good...and NOTHING Ive ever tried has ever been able to do that. And I know alot of people who arent represented on this thread who have had the same results with very low side affects at all..if any. Virginia, Im sorry for for your circumstances..but I just dont believe you can throw the whole company and the med under the bus because YOU didnt have a good reaction to it. There are thousands of people who have had very good results. Peiople need to be imformed and educated..and understand what the risks are. No-one seemed to give a sh** when they started smoking..and we had NO IDEA what we were putting into our bodies then. Again, my apologies to you Virgina for your problems with chantix..but I dont think its the gloom and doom and intant death pill you paint it out to be...It absolutly saved my life...and despite the side affects (which, for me, were not bad at all), Id tell ANY smoker who REALLY wants to quit to EDUCATE yourself on it and talk to your family Doc..and YES,..try chantix.
Virginia Lee

Hopewell, VA

#7589 Mar 27, 2013
Chantix works because it IS substitute. It gives many problem WHEN THEY STOP. Pfizer still only suggests 3% wean. They are not telling what they know! I am tired of trying to warn you of what I know chantix does. I know because I am of the 3% who have permanent damage from a few months of chantix. I quit cold turkey. Those who need chantix to quit are more clinically defined as mental. Just read the medical coding since chantix is a second line quitting option. So excuse me for pointing out the error in you uneducated opion. But I am finally going away. Enjoy your poison I bet you will need it in the future. I also bet, A LOT in fact, the more chantix used the greater the brain damage!
terri

Saint Louis, MO

#7590 Mar 28, 2013
Virginia Lee wrote:
Chantix works because it IS substitute. It gives many problem WHEN THEY STOP. Pfizer still only suggests 3% wean. They are not telling what they know! I am tired of trying to warn you of what I know chantix does. I know because I am of the 3% who have permanent damage from a few months of chantix. I quit cold turkey. Those who need chantix to quit are more clinically defined as mental. Just read the medical coding since chantix is a second line quitting option. So excuse me for pointing out the error in you uneducated opion. But I am finally going away. Enjoy your poison I bet you will need it in the future. I also bet, A LOT in fact, the more chantix used the greater the brain damage!
Virginia...you are right, of course. I'm with you. Only those who really took it...know the truth. I can sleep at nite. And, I know you can too. We were only trying to do the right thing. We weren't looking for trouble. Unfortunately, we learned the truth the hard and PAINful way. Not an easy lesson.
Virginia Lee

Hopewell, VA

#7591 Apr 1, 2013
terri wrote:
<quoted text>
Virginia...you are right, of course. I'm with you. Only those who really took it...know the truth. I can sleep at nite. And, I know you can too. We were only trying to do the right thing. We weren't looking for trouble. Unfortunately, we learned the truth the hard and PAINful way. Not an easy lesson.
You are recovering keep up the good work, I know it is hard. They have been warned but just don't get it. We will not look for anyone to cover our back ... chances are they would only stab us. I hope your settlement beats the odds too! Once enough people who trust big pharma hurts enough bystanders chantix may be removed from the market. Will it take someone shooting a lot of kids when they stop chantix to do it is anyone's quess. WHO KNOWS?
jen

Englewood, CO

#7592 Apr 1, 2013
i just filled my script for chantix today, planning on starting tomorrow but scared to death of the side effects i dont take any kind of medicine except maybe a tylenol once a month, decline all pain killers, no cough syrup when im sick, id rather suffer through it than put something in my system so any suggestions of how to over come my fear of prescription meds? tried to quit smoking cold turkey but went through these horrible twitches and my body would tense up real bad after the 3rd day
Kevin

West Orange, NJ

#7593 Apr 5, 2013
scott thomas wrote:
no offense, but I'm alittle sick of hearing about it Virginia. Theres warnings all over the place about this drug..theres LOTs of information out there about this drug. Anyone who tries to quit smoking and choses the chantix route would be slightly foolish for not researching as much as possible and REALLY stupid if they just took it blindly. But ya know what?..IT DOES HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE QUIT a major, major addiction. Im sorry for the bad experiances Ive read on this thread,..i really am. In some cases,..(not all) it seems like somehow chantix has made an existing underlying condition come to the surface...and perhaps made some existing problems even worse. But in fairness...IT SAYS IT COULD right on the label. I think everyone is different..and everyone will react differently..but the bottom line is tht this med got me off smokes for good...and NOTHING Ive ever tried has ever been able to do that. And I know alot of people who arent represented on this thread who have had the same results with very low side affects at all..if any. Virginia, Im sorry for for your circumstances..but I just dont believe you can throw the whole company and the med under the bus because YOU didnt have a good reaction to it. There are thousands of people who have had very good results. Peiople need to be imformed and educated..and understand what the risks are. No-one seemed to give a sh** when they started smoking..and we had NO IDEA what we were putting into our bodies then. Again, my apologies to you Virgina for your problems with chantix..but I dont think its the gloom and doom and intant death pill you paint it out to be...It absolutly saved my life...and despite the side affects (which, for me, were not bad at all), Id tell ANY smoker who REALLY wants to quit to EDUCATE yourself on it and talk to your family Doc..and YES,..try chantix.
Amazing how people forget that there were three years that this shi**y drug was on the market. People like Scott have no clue.
Let me clarify- I took the drug in 2007, well before ANY warnings- they hid what they knew, they failed to test on their target audience, and the drug was fast tracked through the FDA.
I took the drug for 2 months, and cannot recall 6 of 8 weeks. I do know I ended up in the hospital with razor blade cuts on my arms, from an apparent attempt to take my own life. I spent 7 days in an inpatient facility, was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, this was something that I had never had an issue, and was caused by Chantix.
Due to Chantix I;
Attempted to kill myself,
Got to spend a week in an inpatient facility,
Diagnosed with bipolar, among others,
Will be taking medication 3 times a day for the REST of my life,

Oh yeah, I have a wife and 2 children, and no longer am eligible for life insurance, due to the lovely diagnosis I received due to this drug.

So Scott, are you saying I have no right to complain? To air my grievances, to warn others?

I say if you don't want to read about it, stop F****ing researching it, looking for articles, reading them and responding JUST CLICK CLOSE.

Troll.
JoeA

Levittown, PA

#7594 Apr 6, 2013
jen wrote:
i just filled my script for chantix today, planning on starting tomorrow but scared to death of the side effects i dont take any kind of medicine except maybe a tylenol once a month, decline all pain killers, no cough syrup when im sick, id rather suffer through it than put something in my system so any suggestions of how to over come my fear of prescription meds? tried to quit smoking cold turkey but went through these horrible twitches and my body would tense up real bad after the 3rd day
Jen,
I am the same as you in that I do not like to take stuff if I don't have to and that sometimes toughing it out is the way to go. To that end, I will divulge details of my chantix story, and if you can take something useful from it then great!
I am currently on week 4 of chantix, sans cigarettes approx. 3 weeks. This is the second time that I have used chantix, as after a 3 month streak of a successful chantix-based quit, I thought I was ok to have a smoke one night when I was out drinking with buddies. I bought a pack on my way home that night. That was my mistake, and one which I will not make again.
The first time around, my only noticeable side effect were the goofy dreams I was having. I usually don't remember any of my dreams, so this was more interesting than upsetting IMO. I do not remember having a real tough time weaning off chantix, and if I remember correctly, I stopped my dosage a couple weeks earlier than the full 8 week regimen.
FF to this time around, I am 3 days from completing the first 4 week pack. No smokes. A couple of goofy dreams here and there, but no nightmares. I have been waking up at around 5 am pretty consistently, and have trouble falling back to sleep for a couple of hours. Thus far, my fragmented sleep is my only gripe. I am a bit short on money right now to be able to afford the next 4 weeks of pills, so I am considering stretching my last three days of doses out in an attempt to wean off and avoid any abrupt changes, like those I've been reading about in this thread.
After reading a lot of horror stories on here, it seems that the longer you take chantix, the worse the withdrawal symptoms become. I feel that at this point, my best option is to just take a couple days worth of half doses and a few days worth of quarter-doses. As a disclaimer, just remember that I am no doctor and I am not making any recommendations. I can certainly identify with those that have had a tough time quitting chantix, and so the resolution that I've outlined above is simply my attempt to read between the lines and make the best decision for me.
Good luck with quitting. I do think that for most people, chantix is a viable option, with a proven success rate higher than, I believe, any other method of quitting.
scott thomas

Elizabethtown, PA

#7595 Apr 7, 2013
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazing how people forget that there were three years that this shi**y drug was on the market. People like Scott have no clue.
Let me clarify- I took the drug in 2007, well before ANY warnings- they hid what they knew, they failed to test on their target audience, and the drug was fast tracked through the FDA.
I took the drug for 2 months, and cannot recall 6 of 8 weeks. I do know I ended up in the hospital with razor blade cuts on my arms, from an apparent attempt to take my own life. I spent 7 days in an inpatient facility, was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, this was something that I had never had an issue, and was caused by Chantix.
Due to Chantix I;
Oh yeah, I have a wife and 2 children, and no longer am eligible for life insurance, due to the lovely diagnosis I received due to this drug.
So Scott, are you saying I have no right to complain? To air my grievances, to warn others?
I say if you don't want to read about it, stop F****ing researching it, looking for articles, reading them and responding JUST CLICK CLOSE.
Troll.
No pal, i never said that..in fact, if you can possibly see through your "issues" to read clearly..you might want to re-read what I did say. I guess having an MD gives me somewhat of a CLUE Kevin..and I also know that in the absence of some pretty thorough studies on your condition, blanket statements laced with anger are JUST that. Ive treated hundreds of people with chantix who have had no..ZERO side effects...But it would be highly irresponsible of me to state that chantix has NO side effects. Chantix does what it does because it manipulates the brain chemistry, and anytime THAT happens there are most definatly risks involved. Thats why a doctor needs to be involved in the choice to take chantix, the risks need to be understood as much as possible and this idea that we can all just take a pill to fix everything needs to be dispensed with. I dont know how chantix was marketed 10 years ago. I only react and treat people today based on what is known today..and for SOME people who smoke and want to quit,..the risks with chantix dont outweigh the risks of continued smoking.
Kevin

West Orange, NJ

#7596 Apr 7, 2013
scott thomas wrote:
<quoted text> No pal, i never said that..in fact, if you can possibly see through your "issues" to read clearly..you might want to re-read what I did say. I guess having an MD gives me somewhat of a CLUE Kevin..and I also know that in the absence of some pretty thorough studies on your condition, blanket statements laced with anger are JUST that. Ive treated hundreds of people with chantix who have had no..ZERO side effects...But it would be highly irresponsible of me to state that chantix has NO side effects. Chantix does what it does because it manipulates the brain chemistry, and anytime THAT happens there are most definatly risks involved. Thats why a doctor needs to be involved in the choice to take chantix, the risks need to be understood as much as possible and this idea that we can all just take a pill to fix everything needs to be dispensed with. I dont know how chantix was marketed 10 years ago. I only react and treat people today based on what is known today..and for SOME people who smoke and want to quit,..the risks with chantix dont outweigh the risks of continued smoking.
Fair enough. My point was that if someone wants to use this forum to air their grievances, feelings, whatever, who do you or anyone think they are to tell someone else that they are sick of hearing about it? Have some respect for others, who are obviously traumatized by their experiences. You chose to directly respond to Virginia by telling her you are sick of hearing about it. If that is the case stop reading, and certainly don't reply. It's called common courtesy, perhaps they failed to teach you that at your expensive medical school.
If you have not been affected by this drug, I wouldn't expect you to understand- the point is, nobody is asking you to.
And you have no clue about my "issues" so keep them out of your mouth (don't talk about something you know zero about)

“Smoke Free Since April 1, 2007”

Since: Jul 07

Cleveland, OH

#7597 Apr 11, 2013
WOW This topic is still going on. ^5
Virginia Lee

Hopewell, VA

#7598 Apr 14, 2013
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough. My point was that if someone wants to use this forum to air their grievances, feelings, whatever, who do you or anyone think they are to tell someone else that they are sick of hearing about it? Have some respect for others, who are obviously traumatized by their experiences. You chose to directly respond to Virginia by telling her you are sick of hearing about it. If that is the case stop reading, and certainly don't reply. It's called common courtesy, perhaps they failed to teach you that at your expensive medical school.
If you have not been affected by this drug, I wouldn't expect you to understand- the point is, nobody is asking you to.
And you have no clue about my "issues" so keep them out of your mouth (don't talk about something you know zero about)
Thanks for standing up for me and yourself! So sorry to know you have suffered from taking a doctor's advice and the lastest stop smoking pill which is just a non nicotine substitute. I learned from my chantix experience to be wary of doctors, very VERY wary. What traumatized me the most was going to the ER to get help, taking one look at the ER doctor and knowing he was going to try and kill me. He almost did too in his ignorance by giving me a drug which increased my brains distress from quitting chantix. That doctor was using zoloft to treat his "issues".

This guy is in the same ball park. First he used his patients as lab rats by giving them chantix first and seeing what happened. He probablly ignored their side effects like most doctors tend to do. They make a lot of money perscribing the most expensive pills on the market. They cannot cure themselves or even admit the medical coding to perscribe chantix IS a mental health condition. So don't let it bother you that this quack thinks the reason why we had bad results from using chantix is a defect of ours. The system is flawed and the rule makers are greedy!
Virginia Lee

Hopewell, VA

#7599 Apr 14, 2013
scott wrote:
<quoted text> After 3 months Im very surprised you get any satisfaction from smoking. Most of the rewards nicotine provides should be blocked by now. I know with me, Ive smoked a cig and felt absolutly nothing. Maybe you should talk to your Doc about the doseage. The habit of smoking, however, is still very real and requires effort to break. What i did was make it darn close to impossible to even get my hands on cigs...and that helped me alot. I can honbestly say that chantix is absolutly the best "quit smoking" aid/drug Ive ever had...but its still tough to break the mentle habit of smoking..and the mentle parts dealing with the addiction...and at the end of the day,..thats what it is..an addiction just like those to anything else. Part of it is physical but alot of it is absolutly mental...and requires will-power and a strong effort to change the habits. Doubt a pill will do all that for you.
Are you so MENTAL you can't even see what chantix did to your brain? First you spelled mental as mentle and a lot as alot, yet you do know the correct spelling. You also say the pill helps yet it is the habits of smoking that are the hardest to break and no pill will do that for you. So why chance chantix??? I get it ... to fatten your wallet at our expense.
Virginia Lee

Hopewell, VA

#7600 Apr 14, 2013
scott thomas wrote:
<quoted text> No pal, i never said that..in fact, if you can possibly see through your "issues" to read clearly..you might want to re-read what I did say. I guess having an MD gives me somewhat of a CLUE Kevin..and I also know that in the absence of some pretty thorough studies on your condition, blanket statements laced with anger are JUST that. Ive treated hundreds of people with chantix who have had no..ZERO side effects...But it would be highly irresponsible of me to state that chantix has NO side effects. Chantix does what it does because it manipulates the brain chemistry, and anytime THAT happens there are most definatly risks involved. Thats why a doctor needs to be involved in the choice to take chantix, the risks need to be understood as much as possible and this idea that we can all just take a pill to fix everything needs to be dispensed with. I dont know how chantix was marketed 10 years ago. I only react and treat people today based on what is known today..and for SOME people who smoke and want to quit,..the risks with chantix dont outweigh the risks of continued smoking.
You are an ignorant MD. If you in fact did know anything about brain chemistry you would know drugs do not help. Try reading this from the University of Texas.

http://www.utexas.edu/research/asrec/dopamine...

Or better yet the lastest Blaylock Wellness Report! Then you would know the real cure for mental issues are NOT drugs. Drugs cause more problems and do not cure the problem. It is chickens like you who mistreat people that do the most harm. I am glad you are getting a dose of your own medicine. Now figure out how to fix your brain disorder. I have given you clues. LOL
Virginia Lee

Hopewell, VA

#7601 Apr 14, 2013
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
Due to Chantix I;
Troll.
I hope you will be part of the settlement. You might want to rethink taking the pills part. Way too many who suffered chantix induced mental conditions have been misdiagnosed as bipolar. Like Terri, I have a healthy distrust of doctors and their medicine. I have much more faith in people like you! Best Wishes to you, your wife and two chidren!!!
JoeA

Levittown, PA

#7602 Apr 14, 2013
Update on my progress (see previous page):

Day three with no chantix and I feel great. Cutting my doses down really helped and this is how i did it.

I went from one 1mg pill twice a day
To half of a 1mg pill twice a day for three days
Then one-third of a 1mg pill twice a day for three days
Then I stopped taking my evening doses.

I would take between 1/4 and 1/3 of a pill in the morning. I felt comfortable enough to stop taking it at all, and i must say, I have no side effects i can speak of.

My sleep is much better, my mood seems fine.
I am past cigarettes and I'm not looking back.

I think if I would have taken the 1mg pill twice a day for as long as they tell you to take it, I would have shown some of the problems others are talking about. Tis a slippery slope...
Kristy

Zephyrhills, FL

#7603 Apr 14, 2013
Mike221 wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks frannie. I'm in the midst of a wean myself. For the last week I've been taking 1/2mg twice a day and ready to go to 1/2mg once a day. I had horrible anxiety when I had quit the Chantix cold turkey so after three weeks I went back on to half dosage. Best of luck to you!:)
I have had the exact same problem with chnatix and high prolactin levels. It appears to be a permanent change in brain chemistry. I am on cabergoline.
Oldman

Claremore, OK

#7604 Apr 26, 2013
I was on chantix for a year. Came off cold turkey

Of course I can't prove it but 10 days after I stopped I ended up in A Fib in the ICU for a full day
My lungs rattle at night while sleeping
I have a very short temper
Coughing constantly

Been 3 weeks now and all symptoms still present except for A FIB. I'm on meds for that now

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Number of Minnesota adults without health insur... 1 hr Jose Juarez 2
Nurse anesthetists aren't the same as anesthesi... (Sep '10) 15 hr spaaqua19 119
Marijuana research projects getting state funding 20 hr ailegalcounsel 2
Incentives push doctors to electronic medical r... (May '13) Dec 20 Calvin James 2
Immigrants Social Security eligible in Obama plan Dec 20 icthelite 118
Medicare reduces funding to 9 O.C. hospitals Dec 19 icthelite 1
Has anyone heard of Pfizer's Chantix (Dec '06) Dec 19 CharlieJ 70,324
More from around the web