chantix - problems after quitting or ...

United States

#7563 Jan 8, 2013
I've been taking chantix for six weeks now. Have not had a cigarette for four days don't really crave them. The last three night I could not sleep and yesterday my chest feels tight and sore. Is this a side affect or my lungs trying to heal?

Vandalia, OH

#7564 Jan 8, 2013
["]I gained a lot of weight over the past months of no smoking. Does anyone know of a good diet pill? Wouldn't it be nice if there was a diet pill that was as good as Chantix???
Go to the do for and tell them you are having really bad headaches and ask for's a proven fact it helps people lose weight now! I've been on it for a year and lost 40 lbs! And slowly of course. It really decreases your appetite! I swear by it! Google'll see!
This is my 2nd week on Chantax and smoke free and haven't gained a pound! I'm sooo happy! Glad I found this site too! Great info!
Virginia Lee

Petersburg, VA

#7566 Jan 14, 2013
Chantix contains REGLAN. Do you know what Reglan does if you take it for more then 12 weeks?

Their CEO's are being forced to testify due to this secret in the formulation.

Why lie so much Pfizer?

Saskatoon, Canada

#7567 Jan 14, 2013
kati wrote:
hello, so glad for this post, i was going to start chantix but i am very worried of the side effects...i think i would much rather try the old fashioned method of cold turky. i dont trust taking medicines and the more i read the more i dont want to take it. i think i'd rather see if i can do it on my own. thank to all for the comments...kati
My husband and I were on Champix but quit after a week due to side effects. We purchased a book called "Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking". Both his parents, 30 year smokers, quit after reading this book in 2008. Their daughter read it at the same time and also quit. My father read it and quit also, although the first time he quit for 6 months then started again but has read again and quit. It is in ebook form, which is what my husband and I used. Bought it from Amazon for $3.99. He said he saw the paperback for $20 at Chapters. You can also get it in Audio. Just a suggestion.

Charlotte, NC

#7568 Jan 18, 2013
2 days off. I want to kill myself.
Virginia Lee

Petersburg, VA

#7569 Jan 22, 2013
Ikeithb wrote:
2 days off. I want to kill myself.
Please don't do that! The after effects of stopping chantix do get better. So sorry you have experienced them.

Chillicothe, OH

#7570 Jan 23, 2013
Sandy wrote:
Shortly after I started taking Chantix, visible blood appeared in my urine. Within two months of starting Chantix, my urine became bright red. I was diagnosed as having a urinary tract infection, but the results of a urine culture came back negative ... no UTI. I was still put on two courses of two separate antibiotics and my urine remained red.(Not always, but most of the time.) My red blood cell count also went sky high. I don't have a bladder or kidney stone.
My urine returned to a normal color (pale yellow) only after I went off Chantix. Has anyone else experienced blood in their urine while on Chantix?
Sandy I have had the blood in my urine with chantix along with several digestive problems. Let me know what you found! my e-mail is [email protected]

United States

#7571 Jan 23, 2013
Sandy... My urine was very dark while on it, and very strange digestive problems as well. Now that I'm off chantix urine has returned to normal, but the other still isn't the same.
Virginia Lee

Petersburg, VA

#7572 Jan 24, 2013
Your digestive issues may be due to Pfizer having mixed Metoclopramide aka Reglan in the formulation of chantix. They did not include this info in the literature so your doctors may not know the gastroprokinetic agent actions on your bodies.

This link may help you figure out how chantix caused your problems in this reguard.

Blood in my urne sure would make me stop using chantix! You obviously have problems eliminating chantix and it is causing damage is my guess there.

United States

#7573 Jan 24, 2013
After reading this information on Reglan I see now where some of my problems are coming from. But I've been off of Chantix now for 2 weeks. I wonder how long Metoclopramide stays in your system????? Thank you for the information.
Virginia Lee

Petersburg, VA

#7574 Jan 24, 2013
Karen it says 5-6 hours on the sidebar from the link above. However some of the effects of taking it are permanent. It might be hard for your doctor to get info from Pfizer since their number for professionals does not admit to reglan being in chantix. Since the chantix lawsuit judge is forcing Pfizer's CEO's to testify because of reglan in chantix, I do believe it to be true just not conveyed to those in the trade. At least one woman has reported an intestinal blockage that required surgery. Hope yours problems resolve without that. Another little published fact is quitting smoking can cause intestinal issues. Since chantix is basically a nicotine substitute and acts like nicotine in many ways it can also be the cause and has a much linger half life then nicotine.

"The relationship between smoking and inflammatory bowel disease has been firmly established, but remains a source of confusion among both patients and doctors. It is negatively associated with ulcerative colitis but positively associated with Crohn's disease. In addition, it has opposite influences on the clinical course of the two conditions with benefit in ulcerative colitis but a detrimental effect in Crohn's disease."

You are welcome and hope you feel better soon!

Uniontown, OH

#7575 Feb 1, 2013
I took Chantix for 5 weeks and am now smoke free. While taking it I did not experiance any side effects. My dreams were more vivid but that was it. I have been off it for 6 days and have felt very depressed and sad. It also has me feeling a little paranoid. I have been thinking all of these negative health thoughts like "I must have a heart condition or maybe it's cancer".
After reading these posted comments, I feel much better knowing it is Chantix withdraw.
viki wrote:
Hi, My name is Viki and I've had severe problems when I went off of Chantix. I quit cold turkey, and I went through what I thought was a heart attack, anxiety attack or just a huge case of the crazies!! I was put back on the Chantix by my doctor for 2 weeks and then did a LONG, SLOW, WEAN!!!! It took me a little over a month, but I became Chantix free. I do feel that Chantix was somewhat addicting too, but it did get me off cigarettes and I am thankful for that!!
Diamond Lil

United States

#7576 Feb 5, 2013
Started Chantix on 12/20/12. My last cigarette was 12/27/12... right on schedule. After another 3 weeks, I quit taking anymore Chantix. For a while I felt great. I quit taking my hormones with no hot flashes... I quite taking my Lexapro and felt great. It has now been a little over 3 weeks since I qut the Chantix and I can get extremely mad at someone over the smallest things. I am ready to just scream at anyone at any time. The anger and ability to go from glad to mad in a split second is very worrisome. I am now back on my anti-depressent and hope that will help. This uncontrollable anger thing is really worrisome...

Fountain Hills, AZ

#7577 Feb 23, 2013
I've been on chantix for 3 months and I'm still smoking. I'm only taking 1 pill a day due to side effects, I don't smoke as much as I did but I'm still smoking. Is it not working because of 1 pill a day or is or me ?

Mount Joy, PA

#7578 Feb 24, 2013
Stacey wrote:
I've been on chantix for 3 months and I'm still smoking. I'm only taking 1 pill a day due to side effects, I don't smoke as much as I did but I'm still smoking. Is it not working because of 1 pill a day or is or me ?
After 3 months Im very surprised you get any satisfaction from smoking. Most of the rewards nicotine provides should be blocked by now. I know with me, Ive smoked a cig and felt absolutly nothing. Maybe you should talk to your Doc about the doseage. The habit of smoking, however, is still very real and requires effort to break. What i did was make it darn close to impossible to even get my hands on cigs...and that helped me alot. I can honbestly say that chantix is absolutly the best "quit smoking" aid/drug Ive ever had...but its still tough to break the mentle habit of smoking..and the mentle parts dealing with the addiction...and at the end of the day,..thats what it addiction just like those to anything else. Part of it is physical but alot of it is absolutly mental...and requires will-power and a strong effort to change the habits. Doubt a pill will do all that for you.

Decatur, GA

#7579 Mar 1, 2013
Don't want to be a bummer, but I have used Chantix 3 separate times. The first time was great, I quit smoking completely in a week. I noticed that after I quit, I developed a distinct dislike of the smell. I could be around smokers but the smell ! I was cigarette free for 2 1/2 years! Unfortunately, my brain must have short wired because I started smoking again. Went on Chantix again, took longer to quit (a month), but did quit. Stayed smoke free about a year. Had a complete nervous breakdown this time. Diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, am on medication to this day, I take lexapro and Xanax just to be able to function. Lost my job of 13 years. Attempted to take Chantix again, my doctor nor myself attributed any of my problems to this drug. Within the first week I was having strange thoughts, sleep problems. Gave up the Chantix. Could be that Chantix did not agree with the other meds, but I will not attempt it again. I wonder if I had stayed on Chantix longer the first time, I used it for 3 months, that I would have had better success. My only recommendation is not to use Chantix more than once as it appears to mess up your brain function in multiple uses. I still smoke, worse now than ever. I was only about a half packer a day, I was a banker and only smoked off hours, but now smoke a pack a day without fail. Once the chantix wears off completely, look out! Doctors definitely need to screen for any underlying conditions like depression and anxiety before prescribing.
Virginia Lee

Petersburg, VA

#7581 Mar 7, 2013

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Pfizer Inc. has settled about 80 percent of the more than 2,700 lawsuits filed against it in federal and state courts nationwide over its smoking cessation drug Chantix, according to a company filing with a federal regulator this week.

The company says it is assuming a loss of $273 million for 2012 to settle those cases and expects to spend an estimated $15 million more to settle remaining ones in the future, according to the filing Thursday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Most of the more than 2,700 lawsuits filed nationwide by people who complained of psychological problems, including suicides or suicide attempts, were consolidated as a multidistrict litigation _ or MDL _ in Birmingham federal court under U.S. District Court Judge Inge Johnson.

Among the lawsuits settled were 254 cases being handled by the Birmingham law firm Cory Watson Crowder & DeGaris.

"We have reached a resolution of the litigation on behalf of all of the Chantix clients of Cory Watson Crowder & DeGaris, subject to the approval of our clients," Ernest Cory who represents the 254 clients in 28 states, stated in a prepared release.

The terms of the settlement are confidential, Cory said. He said he is pleased that his clients will be able to put the litigation behind them.

Saint Louis, MO

#7582 Mar 7, 2013
Virginia, do you think that figure of $273M to settle ALL those including the PUNITIVE damages?? If so...that would seem like a low, TOTAL payout for almost 3,000 people.
Virginia Lee

Petersburg, VA

#7583 Mar 7, 2013
Hell NO Terri, they still want people to chance chantix. I guess according to Pfizer a life is worth around $100,000. And much less then that if you ingest chantix with all the warnings from now on. I guess we will find out in the next few weeks. Pfizer will continue to lie and deny the damages of their poison. I bet reglan is in chantix like that one law firm reported and this is how they are trying to keep it hush hush.

Morton, IL

#7584 Mar 25, 2013
Angie wrote:
I took Chantix for about 5 weeks and have now been smoke free for 5 1/2 months after smoking for 20+ years. The problem is that I developed a strange, itchy, skin rash over 3/4 of my body and swelling in my legs and feet. It has been over 4 months since I have taken the medication and these systems are not going away.
iam having the same thing.... my dr. is in awwwwww like hes never seen it.Ive gained 20 lbs.. my feet n legs swell my feet hurt n i have a horrible rash on my arms hands shins back .... i cant sleep its horrible.idk what to do

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump touts hotel as Pence heads to Utah in wan... 17 hr Moanz8838 2
News Fanny pack mixup unravels massive Medicare frau... (Jul '14) 19 hr marge 15
News Coakley takes on DOMA (Jul '09) Tue The Worlds Bigges... 63
Any side effects while on Chantix? (Jul '07) Oct 23 Chenkel46 1,743
News Thompson, Dunlap & Heydinger recognized as Octo... Oct 20 Tri County CAC sw... 1
News GOP Gov: Brewer Defends Medicaid Expansion: 'We... (Jun '13) Oct 19 swedenforever 39
News House Republican doctors: 'Obamacare is collaps... Oct 17 Wildchild 1
More from around the web