Curtis

Hutto, TX

#7312 Mar 24, 2011
viki wrote:
Hi, My name is Viki and I've had severe problems when I went off of Chantix. I quit cold turkey, and I went through what I thought was a heart attack, anxiety attack or just a huge case of the crazies!! I was put back on the Chantix by my doctor for 2 weeks and then did a LONG, SLOW, WEAN!!!! It took me a little over a month, but I became Chantix free. I do feel that Chantix was somewhat addicting too, but it did get me off cigarettes and I am thankful for that!!
]
Viki
I was taking chandrix for 6 weeks and kept smoking unfortunately. Seems like i will quite smoking tomorrow, just wanted to enjoy another day smoking. Two weeks ago after being outside all day during peak pollen season i woke up the next morning with shortness of breath and chest hurting. I thought it would go away i called the nurse and she said i was having a heart attack and just go directly to the emergency room, i took my blood pressure and it seems normal, not signs of nausea or left arm going to sleep. my wife went ahead and made an appointment. the doctor though i might have a blood clot so did a Cat Scan and EKG. EKG was ok but cat scan showed some fluid in my left lung, by this time it had stopped hurting, and felt great for two more weeks. i quite chandrx that day and went cold tukey to quite smoking a week ago, felt much greater, kinda hard but didnt want to have the shortoness of breath again.yesterday bad pollen again and noticed i was having a problem with deep breathing, thoughtit was the chandrx but my that afternoon my chest was again reallly hurting when trying to take breaths. i took some pain killers a allergy pill and went to bed, today iam feeling better, but before i call the dr again wanted to see if anyone else had experienced anything like this? please let me know,BTW i was diagonized with small cell stage lung cancer so went through chemo chest radiation and completed brain radiation in december. not sure if this is a result of the chandrix or chemo/radiation. i got a all clear in janurary cancer was gone but still needed to quit smoking. now non smoker but just trying to figure out whats going on. first time i have ever posted so please let me know if i did this incorreclty. thank you!!
Curtis

Hutto, TX

#7313 Mar 24, 2011
I was taking chandrix for 6 weeks and kept smoking unfortunately. Seems like i will quite smoking tomorrow, just wanted to enjoy another day smoking. Two weeks ago after being outside all day during peak pollen season i woke up the next morning with shortness of breath and chest hurting. I thought it would go away i called the nurse and she said i was having a heart attack and just go directly to the emergency room, i took my blood pressure and it seems normal, not signs of nausea or left arm going to sleep. my wife went ahead and made an appointment. the doctor though i might have a blood clot so did a Cat Scan and EKG. EKG was ok but cat scan showed some fluid in my left lung, by this time it had stopped hurting, and felt great for two more weeks. i quite chandrx that day and went cold tukey to quite smoking a week ago, felt much greater, kinda hard but didnt want to have the shortoness of breath again.yesterday bad pollen again and noticed i was having a problem with deep breathing, thoughtit was the chandrx but my that afternoon my chest was again reallly hurting when trying to take breaths. i took some pain killers a allergy pill and went to bed, today iam feeling better, but before i call the dr again wanted to see if anyone else had experienced anything like this? please let me know,BTW i was diagonized with small cell stage lung cancer so went through chemo chest radiation and completed brain radiation in december. not sure if this is a result of the chandrix or chemo/radiation. i got a all clear in janurary cancer was gone but still needed to quit smoking. now non smoker but just trying to figure out whats going on.

“Smoking UP by 1% since Chantix”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7314 Mar 25, 2011
http://www.ismp.org/QuarterWatch/2010Q2.pdf

"One year after the FDA required major new warnings about psychiatric side effects, varenicline continued to account for more reports of three different psychiatric side effects than any other monitored prescription drug. In the second quarter, varenicline accounted for 130 possible cases of clinical depression, 112 possible cases of hostilityaggression,
and 70 cases of psychosis or losing touch with reality. Case reports of these serious side effects outstripped those from the most powerful antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs which are used more directly in vulnerable patient populations with mental disorders."
Jose

UK

#7315 Mar 25, 2011
LisaD wrote:
I had to stop taking chantix. The side effects I was experiencing were miserable. I am not a "sensitive" person when it comes to medications. But it seems I experienced all the "common" side effects plus some other obscure ones too. I started taking Chantix with two other co-workers SIX months ago. Both are STILL on it but both still cheat every now and then--so I don't view them as "success" plus --- and I am not trying to see into their behavior --- but everyone thinks they are both now a little off. Some even joke that they need to start smoking. All of us experienced altered sense of smell and taste. And all of us experienced a sense of anxiety too.
For me the side effects were worse than anything I experienced with withdrawal from nicotine cold-turkey. The worse side effect for me was that after my first three weeks of taking chantix, I got period. I haven't gotten a period in years---my uterus was totally surgically ablated. I got it again the following month and then I quit the chantix. Though I can't prove it, I am convinced that the Chantix caused it. Off chantix thing are normal now.
For me, the side of effects of chantix arn't worth it. AND it never really stopped or curbed my desire to smoke....it just made my senses feel miserable .... even eating was gross...any scent--even pleasant smells like flowers, cooking, etc became uggy.
Even according to the Pfizer web site it states, "Smoking cessation, with or without treatment, is associated with nicotine withdrawal symptoms." So with that said, I'd rather suffer from JUST good ol' fashion nicotine withdrawl than nicotine withdrawal WITH chantix side effects.
Chantix is not for everyone probably but do you think the side effects of smoking are more worth it?
treezoop

Alachua, FL

#7316 Mar 25, 2011
Maybe smoking wouldnt be so bad if the cigarette manufacturers would stop putting the chemicals into them that they do to make us addicted to them.
Maybe we wouldnt need chantix then.
Maybe smoking wouldnt be so bad for us then.
Maybe we could quit on our own if we wanted to then.
Chantix is good for some i see that.
But from my experience and the experiences of others I've read-chantix is like a loaded gun with one bullet. Like playing Russian Roulette.
deb
LOL Virg

Branson, MO

#7317 Mar 25, 2011
Crapola-Virginia-You are as dense as they say! I see that now you are saying that "Smoking UP by 1% since Chantix" Bahahahahah More Chantix customers!
Laura

New York, NY

#7318 Mar 29, 2011
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>Chantix is a miracle drug you moron. You experienced side effects because you put the idea in your head that you would. I know 6 people (including myself) that took it with NO side effects.Are me and my friends supermen???? I don't think so, just rational people who took it expecting to quit smoking, not to grow a third arm or kill ourselves. Anyone who wants to quit smoking should take this wonder drug ASAP.Don't listen to the wimped-out nutjobs on here.
Maybe the side effects only manifest on the morons and you and your 5 friends are the morons? You think if the side effects were morons being unrational why the pages and pages of cautions?
Ann

Philadelphia, PA

#7319 Mar 29, 2011
Stopping was not an option for me. I've tried Chantix twice a couple of years apart.
It makes me very nauseated, very sick and
dizzy. Intolerable awful feeling.
I don't care about weight gain anymore. I'll do it myself. Chantix is definitely not for me.
Virginia

Hopewell, VA

#7320 Mar 30, 2011
LOL Virg wrote:
Crapola-Virginia-You are as dense as they say! I see that now you are saying that "Smoking UP by 1% since Chantix" Bahahahahah More Chantix customers!
It is you whom is dense because you believe what "they" say. I am posting FACTS! Only one step away from reaching my goal of having this POISON removed from the market,YAH!

"We have previously reported extensively on the safety profile of this pharmaceutical alternative to the nicotine patch and cold turkey for smoking cessation. In 2008 we published a special report on varenicline, together with a major update. 13 14
Follow up analysis in the peer reviewed scientific literature further described the association of varenicline with reports of violence/aggression and suicidal behaviors and compared varenicline with other drugs with powerful effects on the brain. 15 16 7 Our studies also confirm and extended two FDA internal studies. 17 18

The FDA has deployed most of its regulatory tools short of product withdrawal."

http://www.ismp.org/QuarterWatch/2010Q2.pdf

I bet chantix will no longer be for sale this time next year.
MccBob

Canastota, NY

#7321 Mar 31, 2011
viki wrote:
Hi, My name is Viki and I've had severe problems when I went off of Chantix. I quit cold turkey, and I went through what I thought was a heart attack, anxiety attack or just a huge case of the crazies!! I was put back on the Chantix by my doctor for 2 weeks and then did a LONG, SLOW, WEAN!!!! It took me a little over a month, but I became Chantix free. I do feel that Chantix was somewhat addicting too, but it did get me off cigarettes and I am thankful for that!!
]
Viki
I just stopped Chantix. I started taking it Dec. 9,2010. I'm having problems since I stopped. High Blood Pressure, head spins. How long do the withdrawal last. My doctors been no help.
tnm52392

Hanover, PA

#7322 Apr 3, 2011
treezoop wrote:
i took chantix for 3 months with mild to nil side effects.
stopped smoking dec 20 2011.
being as concerned stopping chantix as i was starting it i weened off the stuff and am nearly weened.
the first week i weened i took half a tablet in am and half a tab in pm.
the next week i took a quarter tablet in am and a quarter tab in pm.
thats where i'm at now.
havnt had any problems so far and still not smoking.
so far so good.
i was very concerned with even taking this drug as i have depression problems but take nothing for it because of the side effects that i get from those nasty drugs.
But i couldnt stop smoking and eventually opted to give chantix a try.
so far it has worked for me with no outstanding side effects.
and none at all as i am weening off the stuff.
i'm not promoting chantix-just giving my experience using it.
being as depressed as ive always been i was quite worried going into this.
all i can say is so far so good.
not had any problems oddly enough.
deb
I too was afraid to take Chantix because #1 the side affects #2 I suffer from depression and was AFRAID of what was going to happen. I talked with my Doctor 3 times over the year that I was in to see her and she assured me that I would be o.k. so I tried them. The first day smoke free was the hardest!! I gained weight :( 10 -15 LBS.
The GAS problem was horrendous!!! My Doctor said the Gas problem alone is why she see's ALOT of people give up on the Chantix.My husband has said my attitude has changed for the worst over the last month (2 1/2 months into it) due to the Chantix. I am more verbal(say what ever I feel)/obnoxious... I feel terrible about the way I have been acting and I honestly don't even realize I am acting that way.. I am on my last week of pills and I am weaning myself off because I am afraid of what might happen going "cold Turkey" (my Husband says my attitude has been better lately :)) I take one pill in the morning for a week and then this last week I am taking 1 pill every other day. I don't "crave"
cigarettes but often think about what will happen once I quit taking the Chantix??? Like will I be strong enough??? I LOVE the smell of someone smoking but do not feel the urge to smoke...I put myself to a test in the beginning of not smoking like being around other smokers to see how I would react. I did fine. Also, what would happen if I have a few drinks around other smokers and I did fine. Crossing my fingers and praying to God that I stay Smoke Free!! Good Luck to everyone who tries!!!
tnm52392

Hanover, PA

#7323 Apr 3, 2011
MccBob wrote:
<quoted text>
I just stopped Chantix. I started taking it Dec. 9,2010. I'm having problems since I stopped. High Blood Pressure, head spins. How long do the withdrawal last. My doctors been no help.
Maybe you should think about weaning yourself off the Chantix...that is what I am trying... Good Luck to you!!

1st day smoke free :)-January 24 2011
Hopefully Forever!
Judy

Orlando, FL

#7324 Apr 4, 2011
Today is 6 months for me without the cigarettes. What a feeling of freedom. Chantix got me to where I did not want to smoke but the side effects as I previously posted were horrendous. It took 6 weeks to get back to being "myself". I am grateful to have been able to quit with the help of Chantix, however, I am not inclined to think the side effects I went thru were worth the battle. Good luck to you all. To those of you who continue on here being rude, nasty, mean and vulgur, you really ought to consider finding some other way to channel your negativitiy!
staci

Rochester, NH

#7325 Apr 7, 2011
viki wrote:
]
Viki
Help!!! Went on chantix seemed so easy for bf who smoked as long as I have, It made him not want to smoke, I've been on it for a month, doesn't seem to matter what, I'm still smoking. I dont have an addictive personality , just cigarettes, and I like to smoke.
I figured i'm wasting even more money, so I stopped taking it for 2.5 days now. today , I'm dizzy, like am going to pass out, all morning , tried to work , about fell in my truck. I got home after work, reading all these comments, and decided maybe I should keep taking it, one to hope to quit, and two to feel less like crap than I did today. the side effects for this month, nausea a little in the morning but mostly odd taste all day long, whether i smoked or not, I wanted it to make me not want to smoke, like everyone says, and so far has not
staci

Rochester, NH

#7326 Apr 7, 2011
as I sit here typing, on chantix a month and hine sight still lighting up. I thought it was going to make me not want to smoke, I'm still smoking. I stopped taking it for 2.5 days and today , severely dizzy and fell even in my trunk.
I have gone maybe 4 hours total without smoking, since day one, I may be nausea in the morning after taking the pill and odd taste, that pretty much i've gotten use to. I thought i'm wasting money and to stop taking chantix, and after all this dizzy business this morning and after 3 days i just took a pill.
I am not sure what to do at this point,
Dan

Stoneham, MA

#7327 Apr 12, 2011
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>Chantix is a miracle drug you moron. You experienced side effects because you put the idea in your head that you would. I know 6 people (including myself) that took it with NO side effects.Are me and my friends supermen???? I don't think so, just rational people who took it expecting to quit smoking, not to grow a third arm or kill ourselves. Anyone who wants to quit smoking should take this wonder drug ASAP.Don't listen to the wimped-out nutjobs on here.
Hey Robert,
How long have you worked for Chantix? you are a Moron and nothing but a follower. Guess you think the holocost didnt happen and JFK was killed by aliens, and 9/11 was the government. Just jump on the badwagon and dont listen....
staci

Rochester, NH

#7328 Apr 12, 2011
had to ween off it, which I wasn't expecting, and after month I found no help in quiting smoking,
Robert

West Babylon, NY

#7329 Apr 13, 2011
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Robert,
How long have you worked for Chantix? you are a Moron and nothing but a follower. Guess you think the holocost didnt happen and JFK was killed by aliens, and 9/11 was the government. Just jump on the badwagon and dont listen....
Man, you're completely lost! Get help immediately.
Paulo

Canada

#7330 Apr 16, 2011
I have been taking Chantix for almost two weeks now and the only negative effect has been strange, vivid dreams every night.
Positive effects? Went from three or four beers a day to less than one in just a few days because (and I did not expect this) the stuff no longer tasted good and gave me no satisfaction whatsoever (and nothing negative or unpleasant happened because of this).
As for smoking cessation, the primary objective, I am down from up to 10 cigars a day to two or three and I am finding that when I light one up there is no satisfaction and I find that I am wasting my time standing outside to do this.
So I took the pills first and then started looking around.
There is a law firm in Oregon on the net that is pointing out that in testing Chantix excluded the mentally ill and those taking other drugs and medications (and the firm points out that about half of smokers are at the mental illness end of the spectrum). And what proportion of the remainder of those who have are are now taking Chantrix are taking potent (and often multiple) medications or illegal drugs (I actually saw on one blog this fellow claiming that Chantix was a cocaine agonist)?
Put another way, the people taking Chantix are not the people Pfizer tested it on.
i know

United States

#7331 Apr 20, 2011
I just started my 2nd month of chantix. This drug is pure magic. Been smoke free for two weeks and the week before that was just a few puffs a day. No major side effects except horrible gas sometimes, which I read about, and of course the dreams which are bizarre but not bothersome. For years I have suffered from mild depression and some anxiety (I take meds for these daily) and have no issues with that on this drug. I have and will suggest this drug to smokers who are ready to quit. I believe you have to want to and be ready. I am a little worried about coming off the chantix and will do the wean thing. Have not decided if it will be this month or if I'll go for the third month prescribed. Congrats and good luck to all!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
High court takes up major fight over health law... 6 hr goonsquad 7
Hernia Mesh Recall... (May '07) 6 hr Deborah smith 63
Obama proposes new agency to make Americans' fo... 9 hr indict GOV CUOMO 4
Former head of Horizons Hospice indicted for fa... Tue The truth 1
Sex pills can cause blue vision and vision loss (Sep '09) Tue joshjonhson 48
GOP Must Move On From Obamacare Repeal Mon reality 57
Alexander pledges help if court blocks health l... Mon goonsquad 8
More from around the web