chantix - problems after quitting or ...
Robert

Bronx, NY

#7093 Nov 12, 2010
I LOVE CHANTIX!!!!!!!!!!
i feel super too

Mckinney, TX

#7094 Nov 13, 2010
More than 3 years smoke free. Just stopping by to encourage others to follow my lead!
Sharion

Oklahoma City, OK

#7095 Nov 16, 2010
I started Chantix Aug 1, 2010 stopped smoking Aug 28,2010. Continued taking Chantix for two months, started having trouble sleeping decided to stop taking it, I started going off by taking 1 pill a day, for a week, then one every other day for a week, was completely off for a week, woke up with fluttering in my chest, arms hurting and anxious feeling & my mine was just bounching from one thing to another, I have been to the Dr twice & all one did was give me more medication that was just as bad, so now I am fighting this trying to keep busy and hope that it gets better soon. I'm still not smoking but will have the desire to smoke hit me out of the blue. This is the worst feeling I have ever had, I want recommend Chantix to anyone.
Sharion

Oklahoma City, OK

#7096 Nov 17, 2010
I meant to say that I would not recommend Chantix to anyone before telling them how hard it is to get off of it. I'm glad I'm not smoking but It really is scary how much Chantix affects you after you stop taking it.I've been having the anxity attacks for over two weeks, hope they stop soon. My Dr. told me I could stay on them for 6 months, I am thankful that I stopped taking them at 2-1/2 months. A friend of mine took them for just a month quit smoking with no problems at all.

“Freedom...NOPE”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#7097 Nov 17, 2010
Sharion wrote:
I meant to say that I would not recommend Chantix to anyone before telling them how hard it is to get off of it. I'm glad I'm not smoking but It really is scary how much Chantix affects you after you stop taking it.I've been having the anxity attacks for over two weeks, hope they stop soon. My Dr. told me I could stay on them for 6 months, I am thankful that I stopped taking them at 2-1/2 months. A friend of mine took them for just a month quit smoking with no problems at all.
Hi Sharion...Glad you were able to quit smoking...Don't cave in to the crave to smoke as it won't help!

Do take care of yourself...Make sure your doctor knows what is going on. A couple of people I've talked to have had the anxiety but they're not sure if it was from taking the Chantix or just the stopping smoking. Others who quit without Chantix who had the anxiety....quitting is NOT easy! It is my understanding that Magnesium can help with anxiety & it has helped me. Deep breathing...plenty of water...exercise...staying busy so you don't have time to focus on not having a smoke! Time is on our side now that we've quit smoking!! The best of luck to you!

“Smoking UP by 1% since Chantix”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#7098 Nov 19, 2010
Sharion wrote:
The proof that chantix DOES cause anxiety has risen as more people report what they experienced. Some who deny it are working for big pharma. I am sorry you too experienced the harsh side effects. Here is some of the articles that are shedding light on the true nature of what chantix does to your brain. Just like stopping smoking causes anxiety stopping the substitute for nicotine does the same thing but worse! It is a simple concept but some people just don't get it or want to loose money by admitting to the facts.

"Now, "potential" has moved up to an "increasingly likely association."

http://www.healthcentral.com/anxiety/c/38695/...

I quit chantix cold turkey and ended up in the hospital. I quit smoking 6 months later and had none of the same problems. Some of us do know the difference! There is a whole lot of others associating the anxiety from stopping chantix. Be glad you were not injured enough to justify a lawsuit as the others involved in a class action against Pfizer already know how wrong fooling your brain is.
Cold Turkey

AOL

#7099 Nov 19, 2010
All the so-called quit-smoking drugs, ranging from Chantix to Nicorette to Zyban to whatever are all in it together with big tobacco and the governmnet.

The only way to quit successfully is to quit cold turkey. Good grief, it only takes 2-3 days for all nicotine to leave your body! It's actually easy to quit, you've all just been brainwashed to believe it's hard, therefore you experience it as hard.

All the so-called quit-smoking drugs are designed to hook the smoker to their drug, many times on top of being hooked on cigarettes as well. And the government aids and abets and collects taxes on dying smokers and those addicted to so-called quit aids.
Robert

Bronx, NY

#7100 Nov 23, 2010
Cold Turkey wrote:
All the so-called quit-smoking drugs, ranging from Chantix to Nicorette to Zyban to whatever are all in it together with big tobacco and the governmnet.
The only way to quit successfully is to quit cold turkey. Good grief, it only takes 2-3 days for all nicotine to leave your body! It's actually easy to quit, you've all just been brainwashed to believe it's hard, therefore you experience it as hard.
All the so-called quit-smoking drugs are designed to hook the smoker to their drug, many times on top of being hooked on cigarettes as well. And the government aids and abets and collects taxes on dying smokers and those addicted to so-called quit aids.
You are truly nuts.
Tod from Ct

Cheshire, CT

#7101 Nov 29, 2010
Haven't had a ciggy since April 24th, so that's 7 months!! Chantix is the best and am so very appreciative to my doc for giving me the script. Good luck to all and as I said in my April thread; Keeping on keeping on all you smoke quitters to be!! Good luck and good health to you!
Tod from Ct

Cheshire, CT

#7102 Nov 29, 2010
Hey Cold Turkey, go find another thread to post your negative thoughts on. This is a support thread for those of us that are or have used Chantix. Those of you that are trying to quit using Chantix, good luck and don't worry if you slip and have one out of turn so to speak, just pick up where you left off and try again. It works, I am one of 6 fellow workers that have quit by taking Chantix and not one of us did it cleanly the first go round. It took me two months and have been smoke free since April 24th of 2010, 7 months!!! Feel great so keep on keepin on!! Good luck!

“Freedom...NOPE”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#7103 Nov 29, 2010
Tod from Ct wrote:
Haven't had a ciggy since April 24th, so that's 7 months!! Chantix is the best and am so very appreciative to my doc for giving me the script. Good luck to all and as I said in my April thread; Keeping on keeping on all you smoke quitters to be!! Good luck and good health to you!
CONGRATULATIONS Tod...Make it your lifetime quit!!! So glad that you & the others were able to become smokefree! No more burning up the dollar bills & making our lungs black....YIPEEEEE

I know that without Chantix I wouldn't be smokefree today because I wouldn't have attempted the quit. I knew of other who had smoked even longer than the 40 plus years that I had who successfully quit using it....Here I am almost 3 years later...no smokes forever & never feeling the need for one any more :)
Judy

AOL

#7104 Dec 3, 2010
I have been cigarette free since 10/4/10...yes, Chantix worked in stopping the cravings. However, the price I paid along the way with the side effects was horrible. If the side effects began at the onset of taking the meds, I would have stopped immediately. Unfortunately, they were gradual in occuring and I was so determined to be rid of smoking for good that I withstood for longer than necessary. I am also glad that I titred the meds. from 2 to 1 alternately because otherwise when I ceased taking them completely on 11/22/10 I probably would have wound up hospitalized. No...we are not "nut jobs"....the things I felt and many others felt were truly real...anxiety, confusion, nausea, pain in joints,agitation for no reason, headaches, constant dry throat, palpitations,chest pains etc. I could go on but I think you all get the message. I saw my doctor today and he said it will take 2 weeks for me to be back to my usual self....I can't wait...it has been one of the scariest experiences
Virginia

Hopewell, VA

#7105 Dec 3, 2010
Here is some info about withdrawal of pyshoactive drugs. Chantix is included and the numbers are adding up!

Antidepressant warning signs
Suicidal thoughts or attempts
New or worse depression
New or worse anxiety
New or worse irritability
Feeling agitated or restless
Difficulty sleeping
Aggression and anger
Acting on dangerous impulses
Extreme hyperactivity
Other unusual changes in behavior

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/medications_d...
Virginia

Hopewell, VA

#7106 Dec 3, 2010
Judy wrote:
I have been cigarette free since 10/4/10...yes, Chantix worked in stopping the cravings. However, the price I paid along the way with the side effects was horrible. If the side effects began at the onset of taking the meds, I would have stopped immediately. Unfortunately, they were gradual in occuring and I was so determined to be rid of smoking for good that I withstood for longer than necessary. I am also glad that I titred the meds. from 2 to 1 alternately because otherwise when I ceased taking them completely on 11/22/10 I probably would have wound up hospitalized. No...we are not "nut jobs"....the things I felt and many others felt were truly real...anxiety, confusion, nausea, pain in joints,agitation for no reason, headaches, constant dry throat, palpitations,chest pains etc. I could go on but I think you all get the message. I saw my doctor today and he said it will take 2 weeks for me to be back to my usual self....I can't wait...it has been one of the scariest experiences
Yes Judy consider yourself lucky. I was not and have a lawsuit against Pfizer as wellas helped make them increase the warning of what their poison can do. Good luck on recovering, I took a lot longer then two weeks for me but I did take the medication longer and at the advice of a GP who are clearly not knowledgable enough to be perscribing these types of drugs.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/medications_d...

"See a psychiatrist, not a family physician. Your family physician might help you or your loved one first realize that you may need depression treatment. But although any medical doctor can prescribe medications, psychiatrists are doctors who specialize in mental health treatment. They are more likely to be familiar with the newest research on antidepressants and any safety concerns. Your health depends on your doctor's expertise, so it's important to choose the physician who is best qualified."
Not Sure in NY

New York, NY

#7107 Dec 4, 2010
I topped taking Chantix 7 days ago. Except for a little nausea if I didn't eat before taking it, I did not have any side effects. Now, I'm feeling kind of weird..I find myself talking out loud as if I'm respondng to what someone said and then I realize that I just made no sense and it was in my head. The saving grace is that I don't do this around actual people - I live alone and often talk to myself, but this is way different. I'm also sleepwalking or blacking out because I'll "come to" and not remember going there! I do have a history of depression, but i've never had any psychotic episodes of any kind. I also think I hallucinated the other night saw a weird spider that wasn't really a spider. Ofcourse, it's possible the timing of these episodes is coincidental, but I don't know. i'm on other psych meds which had been working fine. Luckily, I don't feel suicidal and I'm still functioning at work, but at a lower level. Anyway, I haven't read anyone having these types of seemingly psychotic symptoms post-Chantix. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this?
Whataworld

Tampa, FL

#7108 Dec 9, 2010
Have to give credit my surgeon for insisting that I quit smoking before surgery. Was a serious surgery of the cervical disc, that smokers have a 66% failure rate. Started using Chantix in April. Could only take at night because it made me sleepy. Actually it was depression that made me sleepy after sleeping all night. Still smoking and taking Chantix, a few months later, became suicidal. Recognized and went to my primary care doctor. She put me on Welbutron in the morning and continue Chantix at night. In 2 weeks, July 4, 2010 my liberation from smoking. Never thought it would happen after 40 years. Have mental mis-function going on. Not sure if it is the Chantix (started soon after quiting), or anesthesia. The cognitive skills are lacking. Mind is thinking, saying words as I type, what comes back is not what went out. Might have a stiff and painful neck, the mind not working like it used to, but I am not smoking.
Whataworld

Tampa, FL

#7109 Dec 9, 2010
Robert wrote:
I love how the nut-jobs on here (I'm talking about you Virginia) accuse anyone who likes this wonder drug of being on Pfzier's payroll but it's more likely that THEY are on Philip Morris's payroll!!! Virginia, you evil troll, you want people to continue to smoke so they fatten your bank account!!! You are seriously ill. I recommend you seek help immediately. I also recommend turning off your computer and getting a life. I first came on this thread about 15 months ago, you were ranting then, I check in now and you're still ranting. Don't you have any friends or family who can help you with your mental problems ??? Just because you're miserable doesn't give you the right to make other people miserable. That's downright despicable. Call your local lunatic asylum and tell them you want to committ yourself..........now, back to this miracle drug. People , you have to follow the instructions with this drug (all drugs really). I'm reading here of someone on it for 15 months!!! Another guy nine months! These stories are common here. The drug is made to be taken for three MONTHS, not three YEARS!!!! If you take vicodin for 15 months , you'll be a stone cold junkie. If you take the drug for more than three months, any side effects are your own fault. If your doctor actually prescribed it to you for 15 months , you should report him to the proper authorities. Take it as directed and enjoy all the benefits of not smoking, especially all the extra cash you'll have!! I realize I live in NYC where cigarettes are outrageously expensive, but I've saved about $5,000 in the 16 months since I quit. I'm going on a cruise next month. This will be the 3rd trip I've taken that I wouldn't have been able to afford if I was still smoking! I love you Chantix!!!!
The combo of Welbutron and Chantix did the trick for me. Smoked 40 years and tried everything for 20 years to quit. I didn't take the Chantix in the morning, only at night. When I realized how nasty you smell, was embarrassed. Then I looked at my health. Have many issues that don't show, like COPD, PAD (extensive), Ishemic disease with 5 lesions on the brain from mini-strokes, and reverse flow of blood on my left side of the brain due to subclavel blockage. My brain is mush, cognitive abilities is a struggle. Maybe meds from surgery or Chantix, don't know. The money saved from smoking, bought a computer and spent some on me. Love being a non-smoker and not being judged as worthless.
Not Sure in NY

New York, NY

#7110 Dec 9, 2010
Whataworld wrote:
Have to give credit my surgeon for insisting that I quit smoking before surgery. Was a serious surgery of the cervical disc, that smokers have a 66% failure rate. Started using Chantix in April. Could only take at night because it made me sleepy. Actually it was depression that made me sleepy after sleeping all night. Still smoking and taking Chantix, a few months later, became suicidal. Recognized and went to my primary care doctor. She put me on Welbutron in the morning and continue Chantix at night. In 2 weeks, July 4, 2010 my liberation from smoking. Never thought it would happen after 40 years. Have mental mis-function going on. Not sure if it is the Chantix (started soon after quiting), or anesthesia. The cognitive skills are lacking. Mind is thinking, saying words as I type, what comes back is not what went out. Might have a stiff and painful neck, the mind not working like it used to, but I am not smoking.
When was your surgery? If it's been awhile, it's probably not the anesthesia. Thank you using the word cognitive - I am definitely not at my usual performane in school and most certainly at work. I have a really stressful job and I wasn't able to go in this week until today because of the symptoms.If this continues, I'll have to see my psychopharm who didn't want me to take Chantix to start with. She didn't want the liability risk! My internist did the prescribing.
NIGHTMARE

Coos Bay, OR

#7111 Dec 10, 2010
I TOOK CHANTIX FOR 2WEEKS.... THAT WAS BACK IN SEPTEMBER.. I WISH THAT I COULD HAVE BEEN A SUCCESS STORY,HOWEVER I HAVE HAD NO SUCH LUCK.ON THE 3rd DAY I BEGAN TO GET A TERRIBLE UPPER BODY RASH,WE ARE NOW IN DECEMBER AND I AM STILL TRYING TO THIS VERY DAY TO GET RID OF IT. MIND ME THE LAST RASH AND ONLY RASH I HAVE EVER HAD WAS WHEN I WAS 7yrs OLD,I AM NOW 44yrs OLD. THIS CHANTIX HAS CREATED VERY UGLY SORES UNDER MY ARMPITS ,NOT PLEASANT
Stefanie

Colorado Springs, CO

#7112 Dec 11, 2010
janpo1 wrote:
I think this thread is more for people who went off chantix ~ not chantix side effects.
Any drug has side effects. I don't want to scare people off from trying the drug and finally stopping smoking.
I smoked for 30 yrs and chantix stopped me dead in my tracks.
Way to go!! Congratulations!! I can only hope for the same success, today is my first day on Chantix, I too, have been smoking for 30 years but decided my grandchildren deserve to have me around and I deserve to be around!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News House budget pumps $170M into solving Ohio's op... 8 hr They cannot kill ... 4
News Celebrate Medicare's 50th Birthday By Expanding... (Aug '15) 13 hr CZars_R_US 3
News GOP Gov: Brewer Defends Medicaid Expansion: 'We... (Jun '13) 13 hr Flea your boss 44
News Trump team rolls out massive tax cut package 15 hr Ronald 5
News When issue is immigration, GOPa s position on s... 16 hr tomin cali 1
News Lawmakers revisiting requiring those on Medicai... Wed Retribution 98
News Kentucky doctor sentenced in Medicaid fraud case Wed hmmm 1
More from around the web