chantix - problems after quitting or ...
Pipe35

AOL

#6533 Nov 15, 2009
Yes I have been to several doctors including a Neurologist and have been thru many tests including a brain MRI and lumbar puncture. tests are normal. getting an appt with the Mayo Clinic.
Chantix - nerve disorders

Hopewell, VA

#6534 Nov 16, 2009
pipe35 wrote:
<quoted text>
You said your skin did not feel right. PleaSE DESCRIBE THE FEELING. My skin started off not feeling right and now I have a prickley feeling that won't go away. It haS AFFECTED MY TONGUE, EYES, LEGS, ARMS ETC.
That was from another person who does not feel chantix is the cure for smoking but wonder what else it damaged, after all chantix is a toxic substance made from a natural pesticide. There are several people who have had nerve disorders after using chantix that appear on this link. Here is the part that might describe your prickly skin sensation. I am sorry to read of another who has probably been damaged by this novel drug.

"Symptoms of polyneuropathy usually begin gradually, over the course of a few months. Initially, numbness in the hands and feet (sometimes called a "stocking-glove distribution") is accompanied by a prickly pins-and-needles feeling, called paresthesia, in the same body areas. If the condition is untreated, loss of sensation grows increasingly severe and spreads up the legs and forearms."

http://www.herethere.net/~samson/bp/nerve_dis...
Akathisia

Hopewell, VA

#6535 Nov 16, 2009
Ron wrote:
Thanks to all who responded to my post. Really appreciate the feedback. The frustrating thing for those of us who are having long term side effects/or believe that we are from the taking the Chantix is what to do about it. I don't give a damn about being part of a suit or anything like that... What I want is to be my old self mentally without taking the antidepressant.
Ron, what you are feeling is akathisia when you try to stop the psych drugs. It can also be an early warning sign of Parkinson's. That is a disorder of the dopamine system. The doctor put you on an antidepressant because they all think smokers have mental issues and they can be cured by balancing your brain chemistry. Be glad you are not like Peggy's husband who the Nicoles does not believe since it did not happen to her. You can try supplements that do the same things. Maybe this link can help you pick some to get you off the other brain candy. However if it is akathisia and possible ealry Parkinson's it may be better to use an antidepressant just one that does not have the s/e you find objectionable.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi...
Akathisia

Hopewell, VA

#6536 Nov 16, 2009
Nicole wrote:
<quoted text>
Ron, I'm with you.
You have no case for a lawsuit but please stop dissing the ones who do. We did not take chantix to end up having to deal with that just because Pfizer lied and withheld information and the poison caused serious permanent damage. If you love chantix so much why not call Pfizer REPORT your side effects and get an answer from them.
Nicole

Coral Gables, FL

#6537 Nov 16, 2009
Akathisia wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no case for a lawsuit but please stop dissing the ones who do. We did not take chantix to end up having to deal with that just because Pfizer lied and withheld information and the poison caused serious permanent damage. If you love chantix so much why not call Pfizer REPORT your side effects and get an answer from them.
WHOAH! I'm not dissing anybody here. I am clearly having side effects, that's why I'm here. I've not claimed that I do not think that Chantix has long term side effects. I've only stated what my doctor has told me. I'm only grateful that due to Chantix I am no longer a smoker. I feel for the people here that are suffering with side effects from the drug. I'm here to understand what's going on inside my own head.

Now, what's your issue? Are you or a loved one suffering from side effects from Chantix or are you an attorney looking for clients? I'm just curious.
katie

Del Rey, CA

#6538 Nov 16, 2009
Did any one have heart burn I have qiut chantix and its been about three weeks and I still have itany one still having problems

“smober since 06/19/07”

Since: Mar 08

Denver, CO

#6539 Nov 16, 2009
Akathisia wrote:
<quoted text>
Ron, what you are feeling is akathisia when you try to stop the psych drugs. It can also be an early warning sign of Parkinson's. That is a disorder of the dopamine system. The doctor put you on an antidepressant because they all think smokers have mental issues and they can be cured by balancing your brain chemistry. Be glad you are not like Peggy's husband who the Nicoles does not believe since it did not happen to her. You can try supplements that do the same things. Maybe this link can help you pick some to get you off the other brain candy. However if it is akathisia and possible ealry Parkinson's it may be better to use an antidepressant just one that does not have the s/e you find objectionable.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi...
Be very careful Ron, this person is not a medical professional and should be taken with a huge grain of salt (more like a SALT LICK!). Seek help from a knowledgeable medical professional and best of luck with the side effects.

Virginia learned the term 'akathisia' and now she is 'diagnosing' everyone with it. It is truly a very miserable condition and sometimes it is a necessary evil with certain medications. Some folks choose akathisia rather than the auditory hallucinations that go with schizophrenia (as an example). There are medications that can ameliorate the symptoms of akathisia but those medications have their own side effects and are not a great solution.
pipe35

AOL

#6540 Nov 16, 2009
Chantix - nerve disorders wrote:
<quoted text>
That was from another person who does not feel chantix is the cure for smoking but wonder what else it damaged, after all chantix is a toxic substance made from a natural pesticide. There are several people who have had nerve disorders after using chantix that appear on this link. Here is the part that might describe your prickly skin sensation. I am sorry to read of another who has probably been damaged by this novel drug.
"Symptoms of polyneuropathy usually begin gradually, over the course of a few months. Initially, numbness in the hands and feet (sometimes called a "stocking-glove distribution") is accompanied by a prickly pins-and-needles feeling, called paresthesia, in the same body areas. If the condition is untreated, loss of sensation grows increasingly severe and spreads up the legs and forearms."
http://www.herethere.net/~samson/bp/nerve_dis...
Thanks for your thoughts.This sounds very close to what I have been feeling. I mentioned weakness in my hands to my doc. last month. I will ask my neurologist to do what it takes to confirm what I have and to help me.
Penny

Buford, GA

#6541 Nov 16, 2009
Chantix is the devil!! I can't explain it any other way I have never screamed at anyone before for no apparent reason until I started the chantix I was 3 weeks into taking the med!! Then I went bananas, I cried every other day I started to believe that I had the worst life, omg I have the best life a great man a beautiful son! I stay at home no worries WTF?????? The feelings felt so real today I'm happy go lucky today. Sunday I felt like the walls of my house were closing in on me. I felt like I was being persecuted! Anyways I will not be taking chantix any longer it has been 7 weeks now and I've been smohe free 2 1/2 weeks. I don't know how my man stayed with me through this I have to give him props! It was unbelievable I thought I had the strongest mind nothing ever gets me down, there must of been some sort of chemical imbalance I believe there should be a monitoring program for this drug at least a follow up
survey this drug is not safe for everyone i am a prime example!! Does anyone know about sideaffects after quiting chantix I am worried???
Penny

Buford, GA

#6542 Nov 16, 2009
I've also had trouble going to sleep, swelling of my hands and feet, and thoughts that I would never think of before I wouldn't dare act them out but it would be awfull if I did. I've had to take over the counter sleep aids which have helped but I still have severe depression that only seems to last a couple if hours and then I'm completely fine and happy as usual. Can anyone explain what the heck is going on?
vicki

Phoenix, AZ

#6544 Nov 16, 2009
Peggy I too have had the "rage". Mine started after I stopped taking Chantix. I took it for two months and about a week after quitting the rage took over. I was very angry for no reason and unreasonably angry at that. After two or so months, just when I thought I needed to see my doctor the anger began to subside. It has now been 4 months since stopping Chantix, the anger is gone and I am smoke free. I wish you the best.
Vanilla

AOL

#6545 Nov 16, 2009
glowchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Be very careful Ron, this person is not a medical professional and should be taken with a huge grain of salt (more like a SALT LICK!). Seek help from a knowledgeable medical professional and best of luck with the side effects.
Virginia learned the term 'akathisia' and now she is 'diagnosing' everyone with it. It is truly a very miserable condition and sometimes it is a necessary evil with certain medications. Some folks choose akathisia rather than the auditory hallucinations that go with schizophrenia (as an example). There are medications that can ameliorate the symptoms of akathisia but those medications have their own side effects and are not a great solution.
Who better to speak of a SALT LICK than the horse's ass who wrote the above. I'm not kidding: you just can't make this stuff up!!

Ron and Others: please DO NOT listen to this poster. She has encouaged many people on these forums to kill themselves and was involved in a medical situation where a patient under her "care" took his life. She is dangerous!
Robert

Wharton, NJ

#6546 Nov 16, 2009
All of you people are either liars or hypochondriacs.I took chantix with NO problems at all. Three other people I know took it with NO problems. ALL of us have quit smoking (ranging from 3 years to 5 months). Americans are the worst complainers in the world.
Peggy

Petersburg, VA

#6547 Nov 16, 2009
Wow Ron, that is rough. The posters here are liars or hypochondriacs.

I know what happened to my husband is very real. Because of this drug he tried to take his life. Because of this drug he has to take medicine for the rest of his life. I wish he never took the drug because of the hell it has put him and our family through.

And YES we are in the class action lawsuit. I want Chantix off of the market before it kills others.
WTF

Hopewell, VA

#6548 Nov 17, 2009
Robert wrote:
All of you people are either liars or hypochondriacs.I took chantix with NO problems at all. Three other people I know took it with NO problems. ALL of us have quit smoking (ranging from 3 years to 5 months). Americans are the worst complainers in the world.
Robert is the definition of a troll. It is ones like him that make it so more people HAVE TO DIE in order for this poison to be taken off the market!

Hey complainer, why did you stop by to complain about those who had to wean off this drug because Pfizer FAILED TO WARN?

“smober since 06/19/07”

Denver, CO

#6549 Nov 17, 2009
Vanilla wrote:
<quoted text>
Who better to speak of a SALT LICK than the horse's ass who wrote the above. I'm not kidding: you just can't make this stuff up!!
Ron and Others: please DO NOT listen to this poster. She has encouaged many people on these forums to kill themselves and was involved in a medical situation where a patient under her "care" took his life. She is dangerous!
:::yawn::: still a total stranger to the truth, I see.

“smober since 06/19/07”

Denver, CO

#6550 Nov 17, 2009
Peggy wrote:
Wow Ron, that is rough. The posters here are liars or hypochondriacs.
I know what happened to my husband is very real. Because of this drug he tried to take his life. Because of this drug he has to take medicine for the rest of his life. I wish he never took the drug because of the hell it has put him and our family through.
And YES we are in the class action lawsuit. I want Chantix off of the market before it kills others.
Peggy, don't let this guy/gal get to you! He/she is just another one of those who can't see beyond the end of his/her nose. If HE/SHE didn't have a problem then there are no problems. Just like those who say that everyone must have a problem because they did.

Sad, but the world is full of all kinds, including these egocentric jerks.

“smober since 06/19/07”

Denver, CO

#6551 Nov 17, 2009
Peggy, the only thing I have to add is that I wish you weren't in a class action suit. Your remuneration will be so small compared to what it could be if you were able to pursue the suit individually.
Teresa

Wakefield, RI

#6552 Nov 17, 2009
Ron wrote:
I took Chantix for the 12 week period recommended (February-May 2008). The GOOD news, I successfully quit smoking and I have not had a cigarette since February 3, 2008 (after smoking for 30+years). The BAD news - within about 3-5 weeks after stopping the Chantix I began to feel both mentally and physically horrible- muscle ache, anxiety, lethargic, headaches..after 2-3 months of medical tests that showed NOTHING physically wrong, my Doctor suggested I try an antidepressant - BINGO!. I had never suffered from depression in my life and did NOT have any type of life changing event that would bring on depression. What I did was QUIT smoking by using Chantix. Over a year after starting the use of the antidepressant - I am still taking it. Every time I try to stop, the symptoms re-occur. Both my doctor and subsequently Psychiatrist that I saw - tell me that my depression (after this long) can have nothing to do with
having taken the Chantix -but,there is a part of me that just doesn't buy it. It is like the Chantix somehow changed how my my brain/body produces/uses the chemicals that have always kept me mentally healthy. I am frustrated that I am still taking the antidepressant which has caused other side effects and WISHING THAT I HAD NEVER EVER TAKEN THE CHANTIX!! I am sure that many will say that the cause of my depression lies elsewhere...and, they may be right. All I know is that I am in a "catch22" that all started after I used Chantix.
The same EXACT thing happened to me but I refused to be put on the antidepressants. I deal with my anxiety and depression with homeopathic methods. It's no picnic as I still have occasional panic episodes but I'm able to deal with it practicing mindfulness. Plus I started yoga about a year ago and it has really helped.
Teresa

Wakefield, RI

#6553 Nov 17, 2009
to Chantix Sucks wrote:
http://www.quitsmokingsupport. com/withdrawal1.htm
Nearly every moderate to heavy smoker experiences more than one of the following strong emotional and mental responses to withdrawal.
Feelings of being an infant: temper tantrums, intense needs, feelings of dependency, a state of near paralysis.
Insomnia
Mental confusion
Vagueness
Irritability
Anxiety
Depression is common in the short and long term. In the short term it may mimic the feelings of grief felt when a loved one is lost
SEVERE ANXIETY and Severe depression is not a side effect of nicotine withdrawal. Some anxiety and depression yes but not severe. It's the Chantix which messes with you dopamine levels. Why are you people so fricken blind to that FACT!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump talks tax cuts and budget on golf course ... 5 hr Nope 1
Has anyone heard of Pfizer's Chantix (Dec '06) 7 hr CowboyLawyer 70,593
News Former DCF supervisor files lawsuit against agency (Sep '07) 16 hr sassy 380
News Departing Visalia hospital CEO looks at nearly ... (Mar '17) Sat Who 3
News Bredesen joins race to succeed Sen. Corker in T... Sat commenters 1
Weird Dreams While Taking Chantix (Aug '07) Dec 7 bhughes 596
News Pass the ACHE Act and stop destroying Appalachia (Oct '14) Nov 29 Yeah Buddy 5
More from around the web