Chantix - Does any one else feel a li...
thedeejay

Apex, NC

#612 May 11, 2008
Don't let the drug companies and the government hold you down. Don't take chantix for more than a month and really try to stay away from it if you can. It will help you quit and works well in that aspect but side effects are crazy.

I have had depression,anxiety,mood swings, and just and overall "odd" mind state ever since I started taking it.

What helps the most? High-powered marijuana. Yep. Worked wonders to hinder all chantix side-effects.

Of course you cant smoke it in an abusive manner (every-day-all-day). I smoked at night mainly and a few times during the day when I had little to do. It got my "mind right" every time and I would feel at ease while smoking it. If you want to try this meathod I recommend smoking in moderation and in small amounts. All i needed was a few tokes from a joint and I was good. I could eat,sleep,relax and have little to no vivid dreams.

Just shows you how ridiculous the fda & government are. They approve countless drugs like chantix but, a drug with little-to-no side effects and many many medical uses is still highly illegal. Chantix is WAY more dangerous than marijuana. Trust me on that (I am/was a user of both).

If you are just using it at home and get it from the right person you have nothing to worry about. Dont let them make you scared to use something that is your right to use. Just because something is illegal does not mean its bad. Wake up people and take my advise
Melissa

Lynchburg, VA

#613 May 12, 2008
I took one pill friday night and the second one Saturday morning. I guess I am one of those "rare" cases. I had a full blown psychotic episode Saturday afternoon. I took a short nap and had horrible nightmares and when my husband woke me up (I was screaming) I didn't believe I was awake. I tried to run away from him and kept screaming and screaming. I don't remember most of it, but he tells me it took 45 minutes to convince me that I was awake. I felt fuzzy and anxious the rest of the day, but slept ok that night. The Chantix went into the garbage the next day. I have quit beofre for 2 years cold turkey, so I guess that is my only option at this point.
Irena ex heavy smoker

Toronto, Canada

#614 May 20, 2008
I have been on champix now for 14 days smoke free 10 full days :). I see all these people complaining and wining about all these side effects.. lol what do you expect that if you quit smoking you're going to be peachy-kean with out any sacrifice?*rolls eyes* if you can't handle the side effects you wont be able to handle the withdrawl from quiting smoking period. YES, you will have weird dreams, so real sometimes you wake up in sweats and shivers (i know i have).. YES, you will be more aggresive but thats not champix thats the withdrawl from quiting!!! YES, you feel naucious (most likely cause you didnt eat enough food with it). YES, you will have a hard time falling asleep, and maybe you'll wake up every day during the morning out of no where. YES, these are the side effects, deal with them, stop wining and complaining.. I find it discusting that people take medication thinking it's going to be a breeze through the park. Would you rather have cancer for the rest of your life and leave everyone that you love and charish so much in your life??? CHAMPIX WORKS. And it says on the box before taking the pills CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM. DO NOT TAKE THEM IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THERAPY, DEPRESSION, OR TAKING ANY OTHER MEDICATION!!! So I really do feel sorry for all those people that have had the horrible effects of suicide but it's most likely that your doctor by passed your conditions and allowed you to take them. Blame your doctor dont blame Champix!

“Hello Family!!!”

Since: Feb 08

Frozen Tundra

#615 May 20, 2008
Irena ex heavy smoker wrote:
I have been on champix now for 14 days smoke free 10 full days :). I see all these people complaining and wining about all these side effects.. lol what do you expect that if you quit smoking you're going to be peachy-kean with out any sacrifice?*rolls eyes* if you can't handle the side effects you wont be able to handle the withdrawl from quiting smoking period. YES, you will have weird dreams, so real sometimes you wake up in sweats and shivers (i know i have).. YES, you will be more aggresive but thats not champix thats the withdrawl from quiting!!! YES, you feel naucious (most likely cause you didnt eat enough food with it). YES, you will have a hard time falling asleep, and maybe you'll wake up every day during the morning out of no where. YES, these are the side effects, deal with them, stop wining and complaining.. I find it discusting that people take medication thinking it's going to be a breeze through the park. Would you rather have cancer for the rest of your life and leave everyone that you love and charish so much in your life??? CHAMPIX WORKS. And it says on the box before taking the pills CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM. DO NOT TAKE THEM IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH THERAPY, DEPRESSION, OR TAKING ANY OTHER MEDICATION!!! So I really do feel sorry for all those people that have had the horrible effects of suicide but it's most likely that your doctor by passed your conditions and allowed you to take them. Blame your doctor dont blame Champix!
Sounds like you are doing great. Come over to the Has anyone heard of thread. It's fun there.http://www.topix.com/for um/law/healthcare/TBP6PBH59IN2 DVPTO/p1729#lastPost
julie

Toronto, Canada

#616 May 20, 2008
thedeejay wrote:
Don't let the drug companies and the government hold you down. Don't take chantix for more than a month and really try to stay away from it if you can. It will help you quit and works well in that aspect but side effects are crazy.
I have had depression,anxiety,mood swings, and just and overall "odd" mind state ever since I started taking it.
What helps the most? High-powered marijuana. Yep. Worked wonders to hinder all chantix side-effects.
Of course you cant smoke it in an abusive manner (every-day-all-day). I smoked at night mainly and a few times during the day when I had little to do. It got my "mind right" every time and I would feel at ease while smoking it. If you want to try this meathod I recommend smoking in moderation and in small amounts. All i needed was a few tokes from a joint and I was good. I could eat,sleep,relax and have little to no vivid dreams.
Just shows you how ridiculous the fda & government are. They approve countless drugs like chantix but, a drug with little-to-no side effects and many many medical uses is still highly illegal. Chantix is WAY more dangerous than marijuana. Trust me on that (I am/was a user of both).
If you are just using it at home and get it from the right person you have nothing to worry about. Dont let them make you scared to use something that is your right to use. Just because something is illegal does not mean its bad. Wake up people and take my advise
lol... i like my casual marijuana here and there but smoking it when you are trying to quit is just another way to escape the habit of inhaling. Remeber quiting smoking isnt just about inhaling nicotine its a BAD HABIT such as holding the smoke in your hand and having the pleasure of inhaling it, and you think oh ok well im not inhaling nicotine its weed so its ok.. however what you dont realise is that your habit of inhaling will stay therefore you're more likely to spark up a smoke then those that dont smoke weed when trying to quit.. and all these side effects you are talking about are not all from champix its called withdrawl from nicotine and all the chemicals that your body is missing now. My doctor actually told me that the nightmares or weird dreams are caused by the fact that the chemical balance in your brain is chaning and thats what causes your brain to go bonkers for a little while...

so to others views please dont think weed is going to help you quit lol...
julie

Toronto, Canada

#617 May 20, 2008
Eric wrote:
I'm reading this and I may as well have been typing it all out myself... I've had the same outbursts of anger and agression... even after a month and a half of taking Chantix.
If it truly blocks nicotine receptors in the brain as it says it does.. I would have been over the nicotine withdrawal symptoms by now, so I dont think that is why.
I'm stopping taking the medication as well because I'm tired of being angry all the time and getting upset over every little thing that happens in my life. It was so bad I almost lost 2 friends.
Eric
Chicago
Obviously they're not truly your friends if they can't understand that you're going through some crazy changes. I told my friends straight up if you can't support me and handle me (and trust me theres been situations where i've exploded on my friends and said such stupid shit) then let me know and our relationship is over. I would rather have a friendship end then my life from cancer. But wte..
julie

Toronto, Canada

#618 May 20, 2008
Martin_Estonia wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric, just a question; what nicotine withdrawls were you over?
The way i read it you never stopped smoking.
So true... you didnt even give it a chance and you're bitching already :)
julie

Toronto, Canada

#619 May 20, 2008
Ok, I will give my final advice on taking champix and maybe this is why i dont get such crazy effects. You can call this cheating or wte but I only take the morning pill i never ever ever take the second pill. So theres a tip, just take 1 in the morning and you should be fine.
Two of Us

Bend, OR

#620 May 21, 2008
Hello

Have had alot of standard side-effects/withdrawl effects. Took chantix for 4 weeks as prescribed then started
stepping the dose down in weekly incriments. Each step down reduced side effects, sleeping,gas,anxiety,anger outbursts etc.If we felt cravings had not increased then we kept reducing till
we ended up at 1/4 mg for a week then off. Have been off chantix for almost a week and been smoke free for 56 Days.I quess our step down step off system worked for us.
Steakntators

Mcalester, OK

#621 May 23, 2008
Okay folks!!! I took my first pill this morning. I have to do something. When I saw the paramedics doing chest compressions on my 36 year old husband,(he died), I realized that I want to be around for my kids and grandkids. Wish me luck!!!

“Just Quit”

Since: Mar 08

Quit smoking-03/02/2008 6 PM

#622 May 23, 2008
Steakntators wrote:
Okay folks!!! I took my first pill this morning. I have to do something. When I saw the paramedics doing chest compressions on my 36 year old husband,(he died), I realized that I want to be around for my kids and grandkids. Wish me luck!!!
You might want to scroll down and click on the Has anyone heard of Chantix, thread. There seems to be more help with quitting than on this one. Just wanted to let you know. Have a nice day!!!!!
Tim

Wausau, WI

#623 Jun 3, 2008
Winston wrote:
For me Chantix is doing the job, although I've been on it for only 7days now. The dreams are crazy and vivid. Last night I had a few beers, and this morning I was awakened by my wife. She was freaking out, and wanted to know how long our 3 month year old was sleeping out on the sunporch. The last thing I remember is putting him in his crib. So I must have slept walked with my boy!!! Crazy!! I may discontinue the med, gonna see if it happends again. If it was winter time the situation could have been deadly!
Hi,my name is Tim
Just read your note. I've had occasional sleep walking since I was a kid. Over the past year it's gotten out of hand. Been on Chantix for several months due to relapceof tobacco use and the sleep walking has been a nightly occurance. Last night I fell down the stairs. Pretty beat up today but could have broke my neck. Didn't connect the sleep walking to the Chantix until I went on line this morning.
Fred

New Kent, VA

#624 Jun 25, 2008
Ok, here my take on chantix so far I have been on it for 12 days 6 days with no smoking. Had some dreams, they were pretty vivid, but overall pretty cool at the same time.

I have quit smoking cold turkey two previous times in the last year. I went 5months and the last time I lasted 2months. I was a pack a day smoker until 6 days ago.

I am experiencing some effects just some trouble sleeping, a little anxiety, brain fog. These are exactly what I felt like when I quit cold turkey, had the brain fog for a week, some trouble sleeping, was fatiqued, and had anxiety. It passes as your body gets rid of the nicotine and chemicals.

I think some of the side effects are just from quitting smoking, the chantix just clouds the immediate need. I plan on quiting chantix tommorow, and will battle my psychological addicition since I am no longer physically addicted.

Since: Feb 08

Estonia

#625 Jun 25, 2008
Fred wrote:
Ok, here my take on chantix so far I have been on it for 12 days 6 days with no smoking. Had some dreams, they were pretty vivid, but overall pretty cool at the same time.
I have quit smoking cold turkey two previous times in the last year. I went 5months and the last time I lasted 2months. I was a pack a day smoker until 6 days ago.
I am experiencing some effects just some trouble sleeping, a little anxiety, brain fog. These are exactly what I felt like when I quit cold turkey, had the brain fog for a week, some trouble sleeping, was fatiqued, and had anxiety. It passes as your body gets rid of the nicotine and chemicals.
I think some of the side effects are just from quitting smoking, the chantix just clouds the immediate need. I plan on quiting chantix tommorow, and will battle my psychological addicition since I am no longer physically addicted.
Hi there Fred,

Nice to read your success story.
I quit in January and used Chantix until the 15th of June.
I chose to slowly wean off of Chantix after reading on these threads for a long time.
You might consider doing this as well especially because you seem to tolerate the the Chantix very well, but also to increase the chances of staying quit.
I say this mainly because the Chantix makes it seem so easy.
critterlover

Elizabethtown, KY

#626 Jun 27, 2008
Hi, I was looking for a forum about Chantix. I have been on it for about 5 weeks and have been smoke free for 13 days now. But I have noticed that I do feel a little crazy and I am normally one of those people that is so nice that everyone uses me as their personal doormat (but getting better at being more balanaced) but anyway I am 37 years old and about 2 hours ago I got in a major fist fight with a girl up the road. What happened is I am the worlds biggest animal lover and nothing infuriates me more than someone who ties up their dogs, no food, water, attention, etc. Anyway I called her on it and beat the living s#@% out of her. I just couldn't stop. She called the law, they took their report ( I explained that she jumped me first and pulled my hair and I was just defending myself.) They said they didn't know what would happen, I have NEVER been in any trouble before, but if she pulls some crap like she's paralized and mentally damaged (they said she had several marks on her, none on me)and takes me to court or whatever, I wonder if I could use the "I was on Chantix and I plead temporary insanity"? I would never regret beating any person who is cruel to animals, but I am a little worried about what I should do in the event I need to plead my case. Any info ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

“Endurance”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#627 Jun 27, 2008
Fred wrote:
Ok, here my take on chantix so far I have been on it for 12 days 6 days with no smoking. Had some dreams, they were pretty vivid, but overall pretty cool at the same time.
I have quit smoking cold turkey two previous times in the last year. I went 5months and the last time I lasted 2months. I was a pack a day smoker until 6 days ago.
I am experiencing some effects just some trouble sleeping, a little anxiety, brain fog. These are exactly what I felt like when I quit cold turkey, had the brain fog for a week, some trouble sleeping, was fatiqued, and had anxiety. It passes as your body gets rid of the nicotine and chemicals.
I think some of the side effects are just from quitting smoking, the chantix just clouds the immediate need. I plan on quiting chantix tommorow, and will battle my psychological addicition since I am no longer physically addicted.
Fred, you may want to try the "Has anyone Heard" thread. It has more success, love chantix people who have had successful quits with limited side effects....
http://www.topix.com/forum/law/healthcare/TBP...

“Endurance”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#628 Jun 27, 2008
Two of Us wrote:
Hello
Have had alot of standard side-effects/withdrawl effects. Took chantix for 4 weeks as prescribed then started
stepping the dose down in weekly incriments. Each step down reduced side effects, sleeping,gas,anxiety,anger outbursts etc.If we felt cravings had not increased then we kept reducing till
we ended up at 1/4 mg for a week then off. Have been off chantix for almost a week and been smoke free for 56 Days.I quess our step down step off system worked for us.
That is wonderful. Congratulations on your 56 days. You may want to go to the "Has Anyone" thread which has people that have had positive experiences with chantix.
http://www.topix.com/forum/law/healthcare/TBP...

“Smoking UP by 1% since Chantix”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#629 Jul 2, 2008
critterlover wrote:
Hi, I was looking for a forum about Chantix. I have been on it for about 5 weeks and have been smoke free for 13 days now. But I have noticed that I do feel a little crazy and I am normally one of those people that is so nice that everyone uses me as their personal doormat (but getting better at being more balanaced) but anyway I am 37 years old and about 2 hours ago I got in a major fist fight with a girl up the road. What happened is I am the worlds biggest animal lover and nothing infuriates me more than someone who ties up their dogs, no food, water, attention, etc. Anyway I called her on it and beat the living s#@% out of her. I just couldn't stop. She called the law, they took their report ( I explained that she jumped me first and pulled my hair and I was just defending myself.) They said they didn't know what would happen, I have NEVER been in any trouble before, but if she pulls some crap like she's paralized and mentally damaged (they said she had several marks on her, none on me)and takes me to court or whatever, I wonder if I could use the "I was on Chantix and I plead temporary insanity"? I would never regret beating any person who is cruel to animals, but I am a little worried about what I should do in the event I need to plead my case. Any info ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Critterlover,

I am one too and you are not the only one who felt that way. I was lucky and didn't break any laws but can totally relate to your reaction. It was chantix that caused it from the sounds to me. I am sure you can provide lots of other people as witnesses to the change in you. There are also lawyers who are taking cases for abuse issues that might be interested in your case. www.williamskherkher.com should lead you to one but you will need a local lawyer too. Hope this helps and you are okay now. You are not alone. Be glad you didn't beat your wife like one guy did who posted here or the dallas musician. Sorry you have a crazy chantix experience. You can also get a refund from Pfizer as something like this would stop most people from continuing to use that poison.
James R

Plainfield, IN

#630 Jul 2, 2008
I took Chantix last November. During the first week, I had nightmares, confusion, weird thoughts, hallucinations, and suicidal ideations. Then I started having seizures, (I immediately stopped taking the medicine). Suddenly, I could not work, I could not drive,and I was fearful that the effects of this drug were permanent. I had to call my parents to come and help me with my four children. After many years taking care of them, I could not function because I was in no shape to take care of myself, let alone the children. I had no problem convincing my doctors that Chantix had a role in my unusual behavior. I still think that everybody should stop smoking However, taking this medicine while having public safety responsibilities is very risky, at best.
Looking For Intelligence

AOL

#631 Jul 2, 2008
James R wrote:
I took Chantix last November. During the first week, I had nightmares, confusion, weird thoughts, hallucinations, and suicidal ideations. Then I started having seizures,(I immediately stopped taking the medicine). Suddenly, I could not work, I could not drive,and I was fearful that the effects of this drug were permanent. I had to call my parents to come and help me with my four children. After many years taking care of them, I could not function because I was in no shape to take care of myself, let alone the children. I had no problem convincing my doctors that Chantix had a role in my unusual behavior. I still think that everybody should stop smoking However, taking this medicine while having public safety responsibilities is very risky, at best.
Quitting smoking can cause lots of side effects, as the toxins exit your body. Many of your side effects could be caused from smoking cessation, so it's not wise to assume Chantix caused all of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has anyone heard of Pfizer's Chantix (Dec '06) Thu medview 70,585
chantix - problems after quitting or weaning (Jun '07) Aug 23 melissa88 6,496
News GOP Gov: Brewer Defends Medicaid Expansion: 'We... (Jun '13) Aug 22 Ole Miss Heroin 31
News Al Franken: Health reform has made a difference... (Sep '10) Aug 22 Vote Trump 245
News U.S. judge says funeral home had religious righ... Aug 20 Sneaky Pete 4
News As Florida's Zika battle escalates, money to fi... Aug 20 Malcolm 3
News Fanny pack mixup unravels massive Medicare frau... (Jul '14) Aug 18 Dalsimer 666 14
More from around the web