Former Erie-area dentist charged with...

Former Erie-area dentist charged with falsely billing Medicaid

There are 11 comments on the Erie Times News story from Aug 28, 2012, titled Former Erie-area dentist charged with falsely billing Medicaid. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

On Aug. 27, 2008, Kristi Ayn Liebau, then a dentist with an office in Lawrence Park Township, billed Medicaid for services she said she provided to a young patient.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

1ofDrGrassispati ents

Houston, TX

#1 Aug 29, 2012
you shouldn't believe everything you read. The dentist does not actually file the charges to the insurance companys her staff does but because she is the dentist she will have to take the fall. I am sure these mistakes were made to miscommunication and probably her staff not double checking their work. 14 "mistakes" out of how many thousands of patients. No where does it say she took thousands or millions from medicaid due to fraud . These 14 patients don't even amount to more than 1,000 dollars. What about all the good she has done. All her time, money and all the dentistry she has donated to those less fortunate. She is a great and completly honest dentist. My family loves her. We support her 200%
AnonymousfromFai rview

Kinston, NC

#2 Oct 1, 2012
Then why didn't she fight the charges to avoid jail time and time away from her family if she didn't do it?

"Liebau-Grassi on Wednesday admitted she was the sole person who signed the billing forms for her office."

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...
Anonymous

Wexford, PA

#3 Oct 3, 2012
It is not the "staff" that ultimately files the insurance claims. The doctor of any practice has to SIGN the insurance paper to confirm charges. Also, when a check of payment is received for the services rendered and it is then taken by the doctor to cash, again, the doctor is confirming the charges were correct. If done electronically, the doctor still has to confirm charges were correct within a chart and the online insurance company. And once again a check is received and cashed. A good dentist or not the article does not question that. It questions the lies to the insurance company/companies that we all as tax payers help pay into and we also pay with our own individual money for individual plans. I am sure that all the charges are not identified with a plea deal type of case. Obviously, if other dentists and patients are willing to step up there is truth behind it all. The FBI does not "just" charge people. It is based on a process of proof and facts! Again, like stated above...she was the person who signed the billing forms!
Fang

Erie, PA

#4 Oct 3, 2012
1ofDrGrassispatients wrote:
you shouldn't believe everything you read. The dentist does not actually file the charges to the insurance companys her staff does but because she is the dentist she will have to take the fall. I am sure these mistakes were made to miscommunication and probably her staff not double checking their work. 14 "mistakes" out of how many thousands of patients. No where does it say she took thousands or millions from medicaid due to fraud . These 14 patients don't even amount to more than 1,000 dollars. What about all the good she has done. All her time, money and all the dentistry she has donated to those less fortunate. She is a great and completly honest dentist. My family loves her. We support her 200%
She is a crook and you are an idiot.
BIG B

Erie, PA

#5 Oct 3, 2012
She has a sweet tooth.
dental equipment for sale

Korea

#6 Oct 8, 2012
worksindentistry

Houston, TX

#7 Oct 11, 2012
I am sorry but yall are all idiots if you for one second believe that the doctor signs any insurance claims, receives the checks or makes the deposit. The doctor does none of that especially with electronic claims. HELLO that's why he his his front desk or office manager. I just think is funny of all of her patients they only found 14 "cases". The average medicaid doctor will have 600-700 active patients any any given time. So you do the math. I am pretty sure some of these cases were actual Billing mistakes ie wrong information was entered into the computer wrong or filled incorrectly. Meaning maybe it was supposed to be estimate or pre determination versus an actual claim. Becareful before you judge. There are doctors out there that abuse and fraud medicaid but I truly believe this doctor is not one of them. The doctor is probably taking full blame to 1 protect her staff and 2 to protect her family.
doctor death

Erie, PA

#8 Oct 11, 2012
We are all idiots but not convicted felons like ya friend.
Geico

Erie, PA

#9 Oct 12, 2012
worksindentistry wrote:
I am sorry but yall are all idiots if you for one second believe that the doctor signs any insurance claims, receives the checks or makes the deposit. The doctor does none of that especially with electronic claims. HELLO that's why he his his front desk or office manager. I just think is funny of all of her patients they only found 14 "cases". The average medicaid doctor will have 600-700 active patients any any given time. So you do the math. I am pretty sure some of these cases were actual Billing mistakes ie wrong information was entered into the computer wrong or filled incorrectly. Meaning maybe it was supposed to be estimate or pre determination versus an actual claim. Becareful before you judge. There are doctors out there that abuse and fraud medicaid but I truly believe this doctor is not one of them. The doctor is probably taking full blame to 1 protect her staff and 2 to protect her family.
She is an admitted thief and therefore a criminal. If you are implying that she did not know what was going on in HER business, you are a gullible nitwit. She pled guilty to save her ass and no on elses. You must live in a cave or be her mother in law.
American

Lorton, VA

#11 Jan 22, 2013
I see you are from Houston TX, close to where the dentist is living now...She is a THIEF/ CRIMINAL of TAXPAYER DOLLARS...I am so glad this THIEF CRIMINAL got caught !!!
American

Lorton, VA

#12 Jan 22, 2013
1ofDrGrassispatients wrote:
DR.Kristi Leibau is a GREEDY THIEF and CRIMINAL of TAXPAYER DOLLARS! I am so happy she was caught stealing MY TAX PAYER DOLLARS! I see that you are from HOuston TX- You are probably her mother, husband or kid writing in to protect this GREEDY CRIMINAL !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prosecutors: US Rep. Fattah took illegal $1M ca... 3 hr Lanny 24
News $280,000 salary at DHS has lawmakers talking Tue Gillham and Dismang 17
News Arrest of Pharma Executive on Federal Kickback ... (Nov '15) Tue BIG SUGAR 2
News In surprising turnabout, Oklahoma eyes Medicaid... May 23 Synque 34
News Jesse Jackson Urges Lawmakers To Accept Obamaca... May 23 TerriB1 1
News Obama To Sign Orders Protecting LGBT Employees (Jul '14) May 22 Pilot Suicide 11
News The week that was... May 21 Nova_MNSTR_19 2
More from around the web