Any side effects while on Chantix?
high five

Calhoun, GA

#1937 Feb 16, 2009
Sara,

Call your dr immediately. Dont believe what these Chantix Cheerleaders tell you. They dont mean anything they say. They don't believe people can have any bad side effects but the very mild.

Chantix the wonder drug..Woo Woo.

“Clearwater”

Since: Nov 07

Citizens Bank Park

#1938 Feb 16, 2009
Sara, I don't understand your post, it is inconsistent. You say your depression has become worse over the past year, but that the Celexa worked great until you started Chantix, which you say you just started one week ago. If your depression became worse over the past year, it doesn't sound like the Celexa worked at all. It also sounds like with just one week on Chantix- you are ready to throw in the towel- that you are tired and miserable. Read about the effects of smoking cessation. It's common for people to experience tiredness, anxiety, depression, anger and similar effects and it doesn't sound like you are prepared for any of these effects- even if you quit cold turkey. Maybe you should find another doctor or go back and ask your doctor why the meds you are on aren't working. With your uncontrolled depression, Chantix may not be right for you.
high five

Calhoun, GA

#1939 Feb 16, 2009
read the side effects of Chantix. Anybody who has even a mild case of depression should not be taking Chantix at all.

2 Cents doesn't know her A$$ from a hole in the ground. Her opinions are very one sided.

Go back to your dr and let him wean you from the poison Chantix.
California Dreaming

Sacramento, CA

#1940 Feb 16, 2009
I have two co-workers who had a great experience with Chantix, so I was optimistic going into this. Yesterday was Day #12 for me and the worst emotional experience I have ever felt. As a 1.5 pack per day smoker plus a daily user of chewing tobacco, I knew I had a big addiction to nicotine that needed to stop.

I started to notice that I was becoming less social by Day #6, the nausea and mood was getting increasingly worse by Day #8. Yesterday (Day 12), I recognized that I was very withdrawn and extremely angry (I'm rarely angry and NEVER violent...could have become violent very easily yesterday. I was definitely ready to go postal over any trivial item). This mood would have cost me my job and my marriage very quickly if it continued.

My situation could be different since I am on Lexapro for depression and it works relatively well for me.

For me, I decided that I had to do something different. I skipped my evening dose, committed to go the gym this morning (first time in a year) to work the anxiety out, and I feel fantastic (all without nicotine). Granted, I have been nicotine free for only 5 days, but it can't be worse than what I went through on Chantix.

A few positives came out of this experience:
1.) I would never have made it cold turkey without nicotine for 3 days without Chantix, so it did get me past the physical addiction portion. At this point, I'm at Day 5
2.) Some of the most fantastic dreams I have ever experienced

I wish everyone luck here on the board. Sounds like a great drug for some people and a very dangerous drug for others. Make sure to let friends and family know if you are taking it so they can monitor your behavior.
ChantixSideEffec ts

Medina, NY

#1941 Feb 19, 2009
I've been taking Chantix about 2 weeks. I am on my second day of taking 1mg pills. I took it slow because I'm pretty sensitive to medication, I actually started off with half of the 0.5mgs.
I am not taking the night pill as of yet, just the day pill, and now I'm scared wondering if I should even be taking that.

Today some really weird symptoms started and I'm starting to think it's the Chantix. I'm very itchy. It started out with my hands, this weird urge to itch them. Then other parts of my body started to itch.

I do notice a small area of barely noticeable bumps on my forearm, and a couple lonesome dots in other random areas on my body, but nothing too significant as of yet. The palm side of my hands do appear to be a little redder then usual.

I'm starting to get worried because my symptoms appear to be getting more serious. Within the last few hours it's become difficult to swallow without pain. It feels like something is stuck in my chest, like that feeling you get when you swallow wrong and have a piece of food that moves down slowly. It hurts and I'm wondering if it's a symptom of an allergic reaction, maybe a swollen throat? It's not really in my upper throat, it's more center of my chest when I swallow, thats where I feel the pressure and pain.

After doing some research I haven't really found anything that matches up with my last symptom. Lots of itching related side effects, some that seem to be pretty serious. I really don't want to discontinue the Chantix as I know for a fact it is working, I am 26 years old, I've smoked since I was a young girl and I can tell that I have cut back significantly. I will be disappointed if these symptoms are related but after reading some of the claims that Chantix can give you permanent skin issues (Please don't let this discourage you, do your own research because I only browsed and don't know if this has been scientifically proven) I already have very sensitive skin and this itching is NO fun!

Up until now I didn't really have any serious symptoms from taking the Chantix. I had tried it prior to this -- several months ago -- and ended up becoming intensely emotional out of nowhere, so I had to stop. This time around other then a headache that seemed to last for several days and being nauseous one time for a couple hours, I've been fine.

If you have also had similar symptoms from Chantix, involving chest pain when swallowing, please post the details. I'd love to figure out exactly what is going on with my body.

Congratulations to everyone who has quit or is attempting to quit smoking. I am not going to let these symptoms discourage me. I am going to continue my research, possibly go back to a lower dose, as I was seeing a difference in how much I smoked even on a low dose, and I am going to continue the quest to quit smoking. I hope you all will too. Good Luck and God Bless.:)

“Quit 6/26/2007 @ 9:45 pm”

Since: Jul 07

Smokeless In Clinton Twp.

#1942 Feb 19, 2009
ChantixSideEffec ts:

You should probably go to the ER, now.
I read an article recently; that kind of pain can be a sign of a heart attack.
At least call your doctor. Don't wait.
Good luck.

GJY

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1943 Feb 19, 2009
Shey8 wrote:
ChantixSideEffec ts:
You should probably go to the ER, now.
I read an article recently; that kind of pain can be a sign of a heart attack.
At least call your doctor. Don't wait.
Good luck.
Yep, I agree.
victoria Dillon

UK

#1944 Feb 23, 2009
sara wrote:
I want to quit smoking and started the chantix a week ago, ive had increased shaking the entirety of my body, crying and so overwhelmed lately. and been so tired! but i dont know if its the chantix or a combination of other drugs I have to take for PTSD... Celexa, xanax, and also trazadone because I NEVER sleep! I asked my doctor and expressed my concern for all of these drugs at once but reading your comments on here is scarring the hell out of me! He assured me he hasn't heard anything bad about the chantix but now I'm concerned that he's given me too much and doesn't research enough!!!!!!
please do not take these tablets, i was great on them and used to say how great they was because i they initially stopped me from smoking. its after you stop taking them thats when your problems begin i.e the severe depression and thinking of suicide hourly/daily ...please dont i implore you i dont want anyone else to go through what i have suffered at the expense of tablets that was supposed to improve my lifestyle...
victoria Dillon

UK

#1945 Feb 23, 2009
ChantixSideEffects wrote:
I've been taking Chantix about 2 weeks. I am on my second day of taking 1mg pills. I took it slow because I'm pretty sensitive to medication, I actually started off with half of the 0.5mgs.
I am not taking the night pill as of yet, just the day pill, and now I'm scared wondering if I should even be taking that.
Today some really weird symptoms started and I'm starting to think it's the Chantix. I'm very itchy. It started out with my hands, this weird urge to itch them. Then other parts of my body started to itch.
I do notice a small area of barely noticeable bumps on my forearm, and a couple lonesome dots in other random areas on my body, but nothing too significant as of yet. The palm side of my hands do appear to be a little redder then usual.
I'm starting to get worried because my symptoms appear to be getting more serious. Within the last few hours it's become difficult to swallow without pain. It feels like something is stuck in my chest, like that feeling you get when you swallow wrong and have a piece of food that moves down slowly. It hurts and I'm wondering if it's a symptom of an allergic reaction, maybe a swollen throat? It's not really in my upper throat, it's more center of my chest when I swallow, thats where I feel the pressure and pain.
After doing some research I haven't really found anything that matches up with my last symptom. Lots of itching related side effects, some that seem to be pretty serious. I really don't want to discontinue the Chantix as I know for a fact it is working, I am 26 years old, I've smoked since I was a young girl and I can tell that I have cut back significantly. I will be disappointed if these symptoms are related but after reading some of the claims that Chantix can give you permanent skin issues (Please don't let this discourage you, do your own research because I only browsed and don't know if this has been scientifically proven) I already have very sensitive skin and this itching is NO fun!
Up until now I didn't really have any serious symptoms from taking the Chantix. I had tried it prior to this -- several months ago -- and ended up becoming intensely emotional out of nowhere, so I had to stop. This time around other then a headache that seemed to last for several days and being nauseous one time for a couple hours, I've been fine.
If you have also had similar symptoms from Chantix, involving chest pain when swallowing, please post the details. I'd love to figure out exactly what is going on with my body.
Congratulations to everyone who has quit or is attempting to quit smoking. I am not going to let these symptoms discourage me. I am going to continue my research, possibly go back to a lower dose, as I was seeing a difference in how much I smoked even on a low dose, and I am going to continue the quest to quit smoking. I hope you all will too. Good Luck and God Bless.:)
please please stop taking these soul destroying tablets, they destroy peoples lives by upsetting their mind-set. we all shouted from the roof tops when they stopped us from smoking its the after effects i was admitted to hospital with clinical depression after taking these tablets never mind the other side effects, please take care of yourself. even if you are now aware of the side effects believe me the damage is done, even the doctors in the hospital think your doo lally when you mention the side effects of these tablets even when they are presented with the evidence of reputable broadsheet papers . please come off them ... please please
victoria Dillon

UK

#1946 Feb 23, 2009
ChantixSideEffects wrote:
I've been taking Chantix about 2 weeks. I am on my second day of taking 1mg pills. I took it slow because I'm pretty sensitive to medication, I actually started off with half of the 0.5mgs.
I am not taking the night pill as of yet, just the day pill, and now I'm scared wondering if I should even be taking that.
Today some really weird symptoms started and I'm starting to think it's the Chantix. I'm very itchy. It started out with my hands, this weird urge to itch them. Then other parts of my body started to itch.
I do notice a small area of barely noticeable bumps on my forearm, and a couple lonesome dots in other random areas on my body, but nothing too significant as of yet. The palm side of my hands do appear to be a little redder then usual.
I'm starting to get worried because my symptoms appear to be getting more serious. Within the last few hours it's become difficult to swallow without pain. It feels like something is stuck in my chest, like that feeling you get when you swallow wrong and have a piece of food that moves down slowly. It hurts and I'm wondering if it's a symptom of an allergic reaction, maybe a swollen throat? It's not really in my upper throat, it's more center of my chest when I swallow, thats where I feel the pressure and pain.
After doing some research I haven't really found anything that matches up with my last symptom. Lots of itching related side effects, some that seem to be pretty serious. I really don't want to discontinue the Chantix as I know for a fact it is working, I am 26 years old, I've smoked since I was a young girl and I can tell that I have cut back significantly. I will be disappointed if these symptoms are related but after reading some of the claims that Chantix can give you permanent skin issues (Please don't let this discourage you, do your own research because I only browsed and don't know if this has been scientifically proven) I already have very sensitive skin and this itching is NO fun!
Up until now I didn't really have any serious symptoms from taking the Chantix. I had tried it prior to this -- several months ago -- and ended up becoming intensely emotional out of nowhere, so I had to stop. This time around other then a headache that seemed to last for several days and being nauseous one time for a couple hours, I've been fine.
If you have also had similar symptoms from Chantix, involving chest pain when swallowing, please post the details. I'd love to figure out exactly what is going on with my body.
Congratulations to everyone who has quit or is attempting to quit smoking. I am not going to let these symptoms discourage me. I am going to continue my research, possibly go back to a lower dose, as I was seeing a difference in how much I smoked even on a low dose, and I am going to continue the quest to quit smoking. I hope you all will too. Good Luck and God Bless.:)
please dont mess with your brain on these tablets cos once you affect your brain it will take some time to get over, you may lose your way of life with these poisonous tablets.. good luck with stop smoking just go the cold turkey way it seems you have the right idea just by going to they gym ...please you do not need these demonic tablets
Rob OC

Rushville, IN

#1947 Mar 6, 2009
My wife had a mini stroke or an episode after a few weeks on this drug. I had to take her to emergency room in the middle of the night. She now has partial numbness and constant pins and needles on her left side which effects her ability to climb stairs, etc. When she was released from the emergency room because of the episode (included dizziness, vomiting), she had lost hearing in her right ear and had facial palsey on the right side of her face. She now has a hearing aid and has extreme headaches and at night I find her balled up and crying because the headaches are so extreme. We have talked to attorneys but unless she has committed siuicide or attempted suicide they are not interested. Can anyone stear us to an attorney that can make these rats pay for what they have done to my wife?

“Topix”

Since: Mar 09

MIlwaukEE

#1948 Mar 9, 2009
victoria Dillon wrote:
<quoted text>
please dont mess with your brain on these tablets cos once you affect your brain it will take some time to get over, you may lose your way of life with these poisonous tablets.. good luck with stop smoking just go the cold turkey way it seems you have the right idea just by going to they gym ...please you do not need these demonic tablets
You really need to see your doctor, call and explain what is going on. It sounds to me that you are suffering from an allergic reaction to something!
KATHY

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1949 Mar 11, 2009
I STARTED TAKING CHANTIX A WEEK AGO AND MY NECK IS KILLING ME..WHAT DID THE DR SAY? DID THE PAIN GO AWAY? AFTER HOW LONG?
Karen wrote:
My husband has been on Chantix for a little over a week. The main problem is a severe stiff neck. Has anybody had any problems with this side effect?
KATHY

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1950 Mar 17, 2009
almost 72 hours with no smokes and the neck pain is going away,I'm thinking i can be a non smoker!!:--)

“Freedom...NOPE”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1951 Mar 17, 2009
KATHY wrote:
almost 72 hours with no smokes and the neck pain is going away,I'm thinking i can be a non smoker!!:--)
Hi KATHY!! Just saw your post this morning..CONGRATULATION if you've made it 72 hours without a smoke you can make it FOREVER!!!

Quitting made me uptight!! I had smoked for over 40 years but Chantix made the quit not as bad as I thought it would be... I realized a short time after quitting that I was clenching my jaws way to tight & my jaws, teeth got sore. I had to remember not to do that!!I saw a thing on Oprah - a doctor saying how strong our jaw muscles are. He was saying several times each day to relieve stress we can open our mouths really wide & hold it for a while. It does work!! Deep breaths also.. We don't need smokes to relieve the stress!!

This week I will celebrate 14 MONTHS quit!! The first part of the quit goes slowly but you CAN do it!! Just one minute, one hour, one day at a time. I found great support here on topix... I'm trying to do the same for others. There are several positive posters here - you can ask any questions & maybe someone will have an idea.

Good luck to you!!

Margaret
alicia trama

Frankfort, IN

#1952 Mar 20, 2009
one dose and alreaady cant sleep i hate this my heart feels like its beating fast and i will just quit cold turkey this drug sucks i feel like i did a bag of speed.
KATHY

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1953 Mar 27, 2009
well tomorrow will be 2 weeks of non smoking. Thank-you Margaret for the encouraging words, I still feel like i want a cig however I do not NEED one...i could not do this with the chantix that I am sure of...
KATHY

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1954 Mar 27, 2009
that should read could not do this WITHOUT the chantix

“Freedom...NOPE”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1955 Mar 27, 2009
KATHY wrote:
well tomorrow will be 2 weeks of non smoking. Thank-you Margaret for the encouraging words, I still feel like i want a cig however I do not NEED one...i could not do this with the chantix that I am sure of...
Hi KATHY - Great work & it IS hard!! If you've made it 2 weeks you are close to touching the ONE MONTH mark!!! That is another big hump & it does keep getting easier!! I kept telling myself "You don't HAVE to smoke anymore" all the positive self talk was really important to me. These threads were & are really important to me. My husband & family don't smoke (except for one daughter who lives several hours away) so they think once you make it through the first week you should be OVER IT!!

So your quit day was 3/14/09?

The thread that the positive posters, quitters are on the most is the thread I'm going to post below. I hope to see you post there!!

http://www.topix.com/forum/law/healthcare/TBP...
patsy futral

Mesquite, TX

#1956 Apr 4, 2009
I stopped taking chantix over a year ago.
my long term side effects are not extreme but have ruined my life. I do not feel myself mentally or physically. I just miss feeling normal. Has anyone been to a doctor that agrees with them and offered any hope for a cure to these side effects? Has anyone had an MRI that found something wrong?
Are the damages permentant?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News $280,000 salary at DHS has lawmakers talking 10 hr Gillham and Dismang 17
News Prosecutors: US Rep. Fattah took illegal $1M ca... 12 hr jones 17
News Arrest of Pharma Executive on Federal Kickback ... (Nov '15) 17 hr BIG SUGAR 2
News In surprising turnabout, Oklahoma eyes Medicaid... Mon Synque 34
News Jesse Jackson Urges Lawmakers To Accept Obamaca... Mon TerriB1 1
News Obama To Sign Orders Protecting LGBT Employees (Jul '14) May 22 Pilot Suicide 11
News The week that was... May 21 Nova_MNSTR_19 2
More from around the web