Ambulance Service Accused Of Fraud

Ambulance Service Accused Of Fraud

There are 372 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Mar 13, 2008, titled Ambulance Service Accused Of Fraud. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

They're supposed to provide life-saving services to Green Country, now the company's CEO faces federal fraud charges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

stuff to see

Mount Vernon, IL

#84 Mar 18, 2008
This is from July of last year. These are quotes from Clay. This is sad for the patients, the staff and the areas served. There are no records listed in the Oklahoma Secretary of State showing Clay as an owner of a corporation in that state both foreign or domestic. Illinois does list him as an owner though and that can been found on the Illinois Secretary of State website. These are researched and you can look it up too if you like. I am not for or against anyone in this and want the truth just like anyone else. Anytime there is a takeover there is animosity. There are always rumors and there are always issues to be hashed out. Karma is a booger though so remember "what comes around goes around".
Fossil Medic

Centralia, IL

#85 Mar 18, 2008
I have known Clay for well over ten years and the only thing to ever come out of his mouth was a lie. Not only has he jeopardized the citizens in the communties that he serves but he has ruined the lives of numerous good EMT's and Paramedics. He has failed to make payments on health insurance premiums that he deducted from his employees checks. You can bet your sweet ass he made sure his premiums were paid. Just ask those employees in Illinois that had catastrophic health problems only to find out that the insurance card they held was as worthless as Mercy's payroll checks. Then ask those families that lost their vehicles, houses and their credit because of the lies that Clay would tell them. I don't know how many times I have heard that "it is a big mix-up, it will be taken care of soon". Well, hopefully the justice system will remove this individual from the streets and place him in a facility that will be better suited for his ways.

So, Clay if you are reading this all I have to say is "just remember all the problems you stirred in Taylorville and Christian County, Illinois then when things got heated, you just moved East to Mattoon and Coles County, and when the fire got even hotter, you ran South to Effingham and Effingham County and then when you couldn't take the inferno there, you ran to Benton and Franklin County... Well, old buddy, maybe you should have stayed on at Sutton's and been the little yes boy for Larry.... At least then you would have known who was given it to ya!!!!!!!!"
need answers

Jay, OK

#86 Mar 18, 2008
Fossil Medic wrote:
I have known Clay for well over ten years and the only thing to ever come out of his mouth was a lie. Not only has he jeopardized the citizens in the communties that he serves but he has ruined the lives of numerous good EMT's and Paramedics. He has failed to make payments on health insurance premiums that he deducted from his employees checks. You can bet your sweet ass he made sure his premiums were paid. Just ask those employees in Illinois that had catastrophic health problems only to find out that the insurance card they held was as worthless as Mercy's payroll checks. Then ask those families that lost their vehicles, houses and their credit because of the lies that Clay would tell them. I don't know how many times I have heard that "it is a big mix-up, it will be taken care of soon". Well, hopefully the justice system will remove this individual from the streets and place him in a facility that will be better suited for his ways.
So, Clay if you are reading this all I have to say is "just remember all the problems you stirred in Taylorville and Christian County, Illinois then when things got heated, you just moved East to Mattoon and Coles County, and when the fire got even hotter, you ran South to Effingham and Effingham County and then when you couldn't take the inferno there, you ran to Benton and Franklin County... Well, old buddy, maybe you should have stayed on at Sutton's and been the little yes boy for Larry.... At least then you would have known who was given it to ya!!!!!!!!"
I need dates and places be specific we need to know the truth what happend!
need answers

Jay, OK

#87 Mar 18, 2008
why arent we hearing from the other states that clay operates == where is the support or do they even exist?
Speedy

Miami, OK

#88 Mar 18, 2008
In response to RN St. Francis and RN Tulsa. Do you guys work for Integrity???? You sure are tooting their horn!!!
looking in

United States

#89 Mar 19, 2008
stuff to see wrote:
This is from July of last year. These are quotes from Clay. This is sad for the patients, the staff and the areas served. There are no records listed in the Oklahoma Secretary of State showing Clay as an owner of a corporation in that state both foreign or domestic. Illinois does list him as an owner though and that can been found on the Illinois Secretary of State website. These are researched and you can look it up too if you like. I am not for or against anyone in this and want the truth just like anyone else. Anytime there is a takeover there is animosity. There are always rumors and there are always issues to be hashed out. Karma is a booger though so remember "what comes around goes around".
look at document 5115150003 5/23/06 Oklahoma Secretary Of State shows centurion ownership
Known Clay all his life

Springfield, IL

#90 Mar 19, 2008
I have known Clay all his life and worked for him at his company in Effingham, Illinois that was ultimately shut down by one of the hospitals because he was not up to code for their service. During that time, my paycheck bounced and we had several problems financially.

In 2002 an FBI agent came to speak with Hobbs and of course this was all "not his fault". Clay does not have a formal business education and wheels and deals because that's the way his family does business. Clay has been caught in lies by many of his employees as well as many city officials. Clay also was sent several letters from the IRS and the US Department of Treasury because he was not paying taxes correctly.

Clay also hired a woman named Lisa Knapp who helped with medical billing. She had worked with Clay at Dunns and Sutton's ambulance services in Taylorville. She was being investigated for billing fraud, but nothing ever seemed to be written in the papers.

Mercy Regional had it's first starts when Clay tried to take over service in Mattoon, Illinois from a closing Carle Foundation Hospital ambulance service. This operation was thrown together and was poorly managed on his part. This company ended up closing because of financial problems and a better competition.

If you look online at the VA website, you will see that the contracts awarded to him were awarded to a 'veteran owned' company. Clay never has been in the military nor to any institution of higher learning. His father recently retired from the military and cosigned on the loans for Mercy and the former Effingham company. His father Jim Hobbs is the "President" of the company. Clay just ran the day to day operations. This is one reason he qualified for the contract.

I have no vendetta out for Clay, but I am highly upset that he broke promises to his employees, and ultimately has been accused of stealing money from the government. Remember this is our money to take care of our family. The worst kind of person is a person who lies. Clay is the type of person that wants to act like he has money that he doesn't. He spends extravagant amounts of company money for his personal items. He's always been this way. Its really sad that this has all caught up with him. However, I really think he'll enjoy prison.
stuff to see

United States

#91 Mar 19, 2008
looking in wrote:
<quoted text>look at document 5115150003 5/23/06 Oklahoma Secretary Of State shows centurion ownership
Thanks for the info. Centurion was listed with a california agency and is not showing its ownership. Is that Clay as well? Also, I had posted an interview with Clay from the Benton Evening newspaper from July of last year. He refers to other states in that interview.
looking in

United States

#92 Mar 19, 2008
Filed with the State of Oklahoma, Directors as follows,

Clayton Hobbs

Duke Dixon

Lindsey Dixon

All Benton Il addresses
Angry

Tulsa, OK

#93 Mar 19, 2008
I am so glad to be getting out of EMS and moving on to better things. This is one profession full of backstabbers. I have been in EMS for 10 years and have heard bad things about every single ambulance service in this area, including bounced payroll checks, Medicaire fraud, etc. And, quite frankly, the quality of medics from most of these services scares me. Most people complain about the service they work for, unless they work in a place with a low call volume, the so-called "vacation stations," because they are lazy and don't want to work for their crappy wages. So, why criticize a company and it's employees for the actions of one man. If the actions of one person in a company spoke for everyone working for that company, every person working in EMS would be liars, cheaters and downright SCUM!!
profire

Oklahoma City, OK

#95 Mar 19, 2008
you know i couldn't resist the urge to read the many comments posted on here about the current situation that apparantly no one seems to know anything about..seriously someone quoted "mercy is gay"......do yourself a favor and leave your 10 word vocabulary at home..
also another person stated the grass isnt always greener on the other side..wow to me that sounds like a person who became at a loss for Mercy Regional Oklahomas growing success and reputation..hmmmm. if more services were like them they may can keep medics longer than the extent of their contracts..
How about we let the trained professional like lawyers and such deal with this matter...i regret to inform you that all the comments,opinions,accusations mean nothing in the court of law,they have to have a thing called evidence.
All of these people commenting on the medics employed, how misinformed can you be??? i assure that a prerequisite of medicare fraud for dummies does not exist..
If in fact the accusations are true then justice will be served. if not Mr Hobbs will never have to work again and he will get the last laugh.

On a leaving note the people on here that are currently working for services with a limited future meaning over in the next five years should probably be pointing their motivations to secure their own job security..it would be a very positive change to the tulsa community to go pro TULSA FIRE.
profire

Oklahoma City, OK

#96 Mar 19, 2008
you know i couldn't resist the urge to read the many comments posted on here about the current situation that apparantly no one seems to know anything about..seriously someone quoted "mercy is gay"......do yourself a favor and leave your 10 word vocabulary at home..
also another person stated the grass isnt always greener on the other side..wow to me that sounds like a person who became at a loss for Mercy Regional Oklahomas growing success and reputation..hmmmm. if more services were like them they may can keep medics longer than the extent of their contracts..
How about we let the trained professional like lawyers and such deal with this matter...i regret to inform you that all the comments,opinions,accusations mean nothing in the court of law,they have to have a thing called evidence.
All of these people commenting on the medics employed, how misinformed can you be??? i assure that a prerequisite of medicare fraud for dummies does not exist..
If in fact the accusations are true then justice will be served. if not Mr Hobbs will never have to work again and he will get the last laugh.

On a leaving note the people on here that are currently working for services with a limited future meaning over in the next five years should probably be pointing their motivations to secure their own job security..
firemed

Oklahoma City, OK

#97 Mar 19, 2008
i couldn't agree more!!!! go TFD and Mercy keep up the good work hang in there!!
Stupid is as stupid does

AOL

#98 Mar 19, 2008
group answer wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not have faith in the 4+ years the FBI investigated this man? Do you really think they would be indicting this man if they were just going off a hunch? Wake up.
If it took the FBI 4 years to get enough evidence against him then either they dont know what they are doing or Mercy wasn't doing a whole lot wrong donta think??
princesspara

Oklahoma City, OK

#99 Mar 19, 2008
this is in response to profire-i think there was a typo but i absolutely agree!! Mercy Regional has been nothing but wonderful to the citizens they serve here in oklahoma. they were the best thing that happened to vinita and stround and outlying areas
Ima Nurse in Tulsa

AOL

#101 Mar 19, 2008
Some of the most recent posts here are just disgusting and you should really be ashamed of yourselves. You want people to see you as professionals, but you act like a bunch of second graders. You are quick to complain that nurses do not give you any respect, but yet you FAIL to earn it. Not every medic, but those like the ones above ruin the profession for the hard working personnel. A patch on your shoulder does not entitle you to respect anymore than a name tag in a hospital entitles you to respect. It is earned.

Mercy personnel for the most part are just trying to earn pay check. Like any ambulance service, some just put more into their jobs and are more dedicated than others. I have seen what I call "killer" medics in just about every ambulance service. Those that are truly incompetant and need to find other employment.

Most health care professionals can see the difference in a bad day, a too tired medic, who most of the time does excellent patient care, and one that just really does the minimum required, or worse is just too lazy to care.

I am also sure that several medics have personnel that love them, patients that love them. It does not matter the name of the service they work for. What matters is that they truly care about their patients. That is what we love to see rolling through the doors.

Should Mercy stay or go, we still need excellent Medics that WANT to do good patient care.

I know some of you will read this post, and start complaining about Nurses, and some Doctors. As I said above, we all have our days. Should you constantly run into a nurse that always seems to have a bad day, please write a letter to the facility. We need to weed out our burned out staff, just as I KNOW ambulance services have a few they need to purge.

I have to say that it was discouraging to read sarcastic comments made to others that tried to give people a break, or compliment some on their patient care, or the reliability of their medics. It appears that unless you are rude and nasty, nobody wants to hear what you have to say.
another citizen

Inola, OK

#103 Mar 19, 2008
Ima Nurse in Tulsa wrote:
Some of the most recent posts here are just disgusting and you should really be ashamed of yourselves. You want people to see you as professionals, but you act like a bunch of second graders. You are quick to complain that nurses do not give you any respect, but yet you FAIL to earn it. Not every medic, but those like the ones above ruin the profession for the hard working personnel. A patch on your shoulder does not entitle you to respect anymore than a name tag in a hospital entitles you to respect. It is earned.
Mercy personnel for the most part are just trying to earn pay check. Like any ambulance service, some just put more into their jobs and are more dedicated than others. I have seen what I call "killer" medics in just about every ambulance service. Those that are truly incompetant and need to find other employment.
Most health care professionals can see the difference in a bad day, a too tired medic, who most of the time does excellent patient care, and one that just really does the minimum required, or worse is just too lazy to care.
I am also sure that several medics have personnel that love them, patients that love them. It does not matter the name of the service they work for. What matters is that they truly care about their patients. That is what we love to see rolling through the doors.
Should Mercy stay or go, we still need excellent Medics that WANT to do good patient care.
I know some of you will read this post, and start complaining about Nurses, and some Doctors. As I said above, we all have our days. Should you constantly run into a nurse that always seems to have a bad day, please write a letter to the facility. We need to weed out our burned out staff, just as I KNOW ambulance services have a few they need to purge.
I have to say that it was discouraging to read sarcastic comments made to others that tried to give people a break, or compliment some on their patient care, or the reliability of their medics. It appears that unless you are rude and nasty, nobody wants to hear what you have to say.
Amen!!
RNtoo

AOL

#105 Mar 19, 2008
Rn St Francis sounds like a very angry, frustrated nurse. Sounds like she is tired of the crap. I admit that I agree with her comment, I would have used some different words, but the message is there.
Things to ponder

United States

#107 Mar 20, 2008
I have a few comments. Profire and "stupid is as stupid does". Wow. I have seen the people affected by this person's actions. I have not seen anything in Oklahoma so I know nothing out there. I have worked with prosecuters in the past. They make sure they have a strong case before taking action. This is a forum for those hurt to vent. Let them. If you had no pay check, had been told you had insurance only to find you didn't when the need was extreme you would be devastated as well. The nurses were right about respect. It is earned but so is the anger. I agree that the personnel were not to blame. I feel sorry for them and I have great admiration for those who are continuing to work even if they may not get paid. They do this for their patients and not for Mercy. I live in the areas devastated by Clay. It is like a tornado aftermath once he is thru and history has repeated itself more than once. That is why it has taken so long....not because there is not enough evidence but because there is so much. The lawyers and investigators can handle it but if you read you will see that some here really do know what they are talking about by being personally shafted.
RN EMT-P

AOL

#108 Mar 20, 2008
Things to ponder wrote:
I have a few comments. Profire and "stupid is as stupid does". Wow. I have seen the people affected by this person's actions. I have not seen anything in Oklahoma so I know nothing out there. I have worked with prosecuters in the past. They make sure they have a strong case before taking action. This is a forum for those hurt to vent. Let them. If you had no pay check, had been told you had insurance only to find you didn't when the need was extreme you would be devastated as well. The nurses were right about respect. It is earned but so is the anger. I agree that the personnel were not to blame. I feel sorry for them and I have great admiration for those who are continuing to work even if they may not get paid. They do this for their patients and not for Mercy. I live in the areas devastated by Clay. It is like a tornado aftermath once he is thru and history has repeated itself more than once. That is why it has taken so long....not because there is not enough evidence but because there is so much. The lawyers and investigators can handle it but if you read you will see that some here really do know what they are talking about by being personally shafted.
Amen. I agree with you. I am concerned that CLay Hobbs and Mercy are here in Oklahoma. We don't need the devastation. I don't work for Mercy, but know many that do. The personal attacks against Mercy employees....guilt by association I guess. We agree that not all Mercy employees are dirt. Some are excellent and are an asset to the profession. You were right to state that respect is earned as well as anger. This IS a forum to vent. Nurses are angry as well. They are frustrated when an ambulance service sets up shop, visits the hospitals, nursing homes and removes all of their resource materials, leaving them with a phone number for only one private ambulance service. EMSA and Broken Arrow Fire cannot handle the volume. They certainly are not going to take a patient 80 miles or more and be out of service for that long. There is a need for private ambulance companies. There is also a difference between providing patient care for 15 minutes and managing a patient for hours.

People do want to know what is going on with Mercy, which is one of the reasons they visit this forum. Several employers have spoken to their personnel regarding the Mercy incident. They have encouraged the employees to have no comment. An email was forwarded to me from a private ambulance owner in which he stated the companies position on the event and discouraged his personnel from even visiting these forums.

We must also overlook the idiots posting nasty disgusting things and personal attacks. They have a right to post, and have the same freedom of speech we all do. You can tell they are not from a respectable company by their postings. It says a lot about their employer and speaks volume about the medics themselves.

I am confident that the Federal Government, IRS etc., have a "case" against Clay Hobbs and Mercy Regional. They would not proceed unless they were confident they could prove their case. I am sure they were not on a fishing expedition. The State of Oklahoma needs to be on alert. Mercy has been invited in to "take over" many areas. Should the Federal Government come to Oklahoma and seize Mercy Ambulances and equipment shutting Mercy down, which many know is coming, it will devastate and overwhelm what is left of Oklahoma's EMS system. Oklahoma EMS needs to prepare for it is coming. People do not trust Mercy Ambulance anymore. It is only a matter of time before the tornado goes through.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 6 Michigan state workers charged in Flint water... 1 hr Island sucks 2
News EMSL Charlotte Laboratory Receives North Caroli... Thu CharlottePro 1
News Supreme Court hands President Obama a major vic... (Jun '12) Jul 27 swedenforever 3,703
News The Ted Suhl trial, day 4: A problem for the pr... Jul 26 Guest 1
News Texas Democrats Do a Two-Step Over Voting Right... Jul 25 Captain Yesterday 1
News Angle: Reid helped child molesters get Viagra (Oct '10) Jul 25 Forgotten Americans 153
News What 2016 means for the Supreme Court (Sep '15) Jul 24 Cheaters Club 56
More from around the web