Haven Healthcare Becomes Lightning Ro...

Haven Healthcare Becomes Lightning Rod In Congress

There are 137 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 15, 2008, titled Haven Healthcare Becomes Lightning Rod In Congress. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

One of Connecticut's largest nursing-home chains, Haven Healthcare, became the example of horrors in the industry Thursday when its saga was told to an oversight committee of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Jefferson

Nashua, NH

#43 May 18, 2008
anna wrote:
doesn't anyone care about the patients and the families my god poor mr aceituno ND HIS FAMILY WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA
What you don't hear is what really happened. This man, 6'3 220 lbs ran out of the building at full speed with a nurse aide chasing him. He fell and was sent to the hospital. The hospital discharged him and said he was fine. He wasn't. The nursing home continued to try to help him at the facility and again sent him back to the hospital despite the fact that Greenwich Hospital did not want him readmitted. The nursing home did nothing wrong, unless you feel they should have had him in chains. The hospital mis-diagnosed him and now the family is looking for a nice payday. Is it really so hard to believe that possibly this family is just chasing money? Yes, it is unfortunate what happened to him, but is there really anyone, other than the hospital that did anything wrong? If this man got hit by lightning, I think this family would be suing the clouds and God.
Wooo

United States

#44 May 18, 2008
Is Haven gone yet?
well termini is

Gainesboro, TN

#45 May 19, 2008
Of several sleazy operators in CT.
Don (never pay da bills) Franco has about 14 different lawsuits between Talmadge Park and Astoria Park while wife Lorraine(big buns) Franco is being sued by Martin Sbriglio....non-
payment.
I Care !? gimme a break. It's a close bet as to who will fold first
Wright or Franco; yup leaders of the Association.
The Attorney General has plenty more
battles out there....sorta like pin the tail on the donkey......and yes, plenty of asses too.
Now the non-profit side has some beauties too. Lisa Giller and David
(I killed Hewitt) Bordenaro. Ask Harry Diadamo about what really happened to the Hewitt Trust Fund Mr.
Attorney General. DSS was informed that Hewitt used a rate increase for
plant expansion to "fund on-going operations..."
Harry had to pay it back.....along
comes Brian Foley.
Yes Mr Attorney General their office
KNEW ABOUT IT...did you?
So Ray, I feel your pain dude.
Whatever happened to Marissa Hamsey?
Ray Termini

San Francisco, CA

#46 May 19, 2008
well termini is wrote:
Whatever happened to Marissa Hamsey?
Darleen Bush happened.
Country Bumkin

Nashville, TN

#47 May 19, 2008
Whats the latest with Ray and Category 5 records, does anyone know? Is he still runnig Haven?
DSS to Blame

Dover, NH

#48 May 19, 2008
Facts the Public Needs to Know:

1. The vast Majority of nursing homes in the state of CT is underfunded.

2. Medicaid pays on average $211.00 per day to nursing homes for each resident (70% of all residents are Medicaid Residents.

3.$211.00 per day does not come close to paying for all the current costs of taking care of a patient. Costs vary, but on average the $211.00 shortchanges the nursing homes by 30% per patient.

4. This gross mismanagement by the Department of Social Services and the Governor's Office results in EACH nursing home being underfunded by approximately 2 million dollars per year.

5. The Provider Tax that was implemented and passed a few years back, was supposed to be earmarked for nursing homes only, bringing them over 200 million of additional revenue per year. Politicians said it was coming, but at the last minute, agreed amoungst themselves to circumvent over 125% of these earmarked funds, away from nursing homes and into porkbarrel political state projects (general fund). WHY?? HOW DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS??????? We want answers, now!
DSS to Blame

Dover, NH

#49 May 19, 2008
WHO is this clown Blumenthal? He is so grossly misleading in his one sided portrayal of Haven Healthcare it is sickening.

Facts:

1. Haven's Care- Survey record is "on par" with all the other major nursing home operators across the state.

2. For every 1 family complaint, there are 100 positive, heart moving, stories.

3. During the Courant's Onslaught of Haven, there was not one mention to the fact that the 7 negative stories they exposed occurred over a 6 year period, between 27 nursing facilities, over a 15 million hour time span. 7 negative outcomes over a 6 year time period, caring for over 3,000 employees per day x 365 days x 6 years = you do the math.

4. All these stories were written from just the planiffs point of view, many of the facts were distorted and no where near the truth.

5. The Heat Issue was not due to non-payment, and occured before Category 5 Records even existed.

6. Over 20% of all CT nursing homes have either closed, have gone into receivership or filed bankrupcy over the past 3 years.

7. When the state takes over a nursing home, they increase their average Medicaid Rate from $170-$180 to $300. You need to ask why???? And then you need to drill down to get the real answers. Think about a hotel room rate? Now, add Licensed Nurses, Physicians, Pharmacy Medications, IVs, Specialized Equipment, Certified Nursing Assistants, 3 full meals a day, full service Laundry and Housekeeping, Social Services by a Master Degreed Counselor, full service Recreation, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy, and much more...
DSS to Blame

Dover, NH

#50 May 19, 2008
More Facts:

1. Haven's Average Medicaid Rate allowed by DSS is $182.00 vs. state average $211.00 vs. WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE @$275.00 (note $25 per day less then the state pays themselves). Now who is to blame????? How can anyone in their right mind own a Nursing Home and NOT LOSE MONEY...with this gross negligence being dished out by DSS and the Governor.

Let me do the math again:

$275-$182 =$93 x 2,100 x 365 = Are you kidding me???

2. How about talking about how this great bankrupcy process works? The courts just went through 50 million in less then six months! How does that happen?????? Talk about waste. They have lent very little to improving patient care, only added huge fees for attorneys ie,Blumenthal,(who gets escorted around on tax dollars in a limo by the way), ombudsmen (who only could say from the beginning how impressed they were with Haven's care and leadership team...they were in awe and shock how the Courant could be so off base and misleading)

Caregivers in Nursing Homes have compassion, big hearts, and truely make a difference in others lives every day. They are underappreciated and underpaid. They deserve much better! Next time a politician speaks so out of their league about a profession they should do their homework first and find out the real story.
Your Wrong

New Milford, CT

#51 May 20, 2008
DSS to Blame wrote:
WHO is this clown Blumenthal? He is so grossly misleading in his one sided portrayal of Haven Healthcare it is sickening.
Facts:
1. Haven's Care- Survey record is "on par" with all the other major nursing home operators across the state.
2. For every 1 family complaint, there are 100 positive, heart moving, stories.
3. During the Courant's Onslaught of Haven, there was not one mention to the fact that the 7 negative stories they exposed occurred over a 6 year period, between 27 nursing facilities, over a 15 million hour time span. 7 negative outcomes over a 6 year time period, caring for over 3,000 employees per day x 365 days x 6 years = you do the math.
4. All these stories were written from just the planiffs point of view, many of the facts were distorted and no where near the truth.
5. The Heat Issue was not due to non-payment, and occured before Category 5 Records even existed.
6. Over 20% of all CT nursing homes have either closed, have gone into receivership or filed bankrupcy over the past 3 years.
7. When the state takes over a nursing home, they increase their average Medicaid Rate from $170-$180 to $300. You need to ask why???? And then you need to drill down to get the real answers. Think about a hotel room rate? Now, add Licensed Nurses, Physicians, Pharmacy Medications, IVs, Specialized Equipment, Certified Nursing Assistants, 3 full meals a day, full service Laundry and Housekeeping, Social Services by a Master Degreed Counselor, full service Recreation, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy, and much more...
Look. It was Haven's policy not to pay their Bills. There are in MANY cases that Haven did not pay vendors for supplys, food and entertainment, making the residents lifes misreble. This was not the DSS's fault. Ray and the management team were too busy pocketing all the money and never showing up for work. when they did show up for work, the focus was not on Haven, it was on country music.

It was a Haven policy never to pay bills. Unless those bills directly affected Ray, Tony or Barry; those always got paid.

Even Category 5 records didn't pay there bills. He was run out of Nashville just like he is being run out of CT.

The only folks here sticking up for Haven are in bed with Ray (some truely are).

Ray said it himself. He took money from refinancing haven homes in RI to fund Cat 5. That money should have been put back into Haven, not Cat5. The management at Haven is not fit to care for the elderly. They are just greedy petty theives.
The Avenger

AOL

#52 May 20, 2008
The upper management (including SOME administrators, not all) is a disgrace, I agree. But the front-line staff responsible for day-to-day resident care are caring, compassionate individuals who love the residents and do their very best. Get the management out of there, but leave the staff alone!
Jasper

Plainville, CT

#53 May 20, 2008
The Avenger wrote:
The upper management (including SOME administrators, not all) is a disgrace, I agree. But the front-line staff responsible for day-to-day resident care are caring, compassionate individuals who love the residents and do their very best. Get the management out of there, but leave the staff alone!
Lets be fair. Most of management are very nice caring people who work very hard. Some of the front line staff are lazy heartless ba$tards. I think the union is terrible. I never should have voted for 1199. They only care about the money.
Wilbur

Plainville, CT

#54 May 20, 2008
Your Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Look. It was Haven's policy not to pay their Bills. There are in MANY cases that Haven did not pay vendors for supplys, food and entertainment, making the residents lifes misreble. This was not the DSS's fault. Ray and the management team were too busy pocketing all the money and never showing up for work. when they did show up for work, the focus was not on Haven, it was on country music.
It was a Haven policy never to pay bills. Unless those bills directly affected Ray, Tony or Barry; those always got paid.
Even Category 5 records didn't pay there bills. He was run out of Nashville just like he is being run out of CT.
The only folks here sticking up for Haven are in bed with Ray (some truely are).
Ray said it himself. He took money from refinancing haven homes in RI to fund Cat 5. That money should have been put back into Haven, not Cat5. The management at Haven is not fit to care for the elderly. They are just greedy petty theives.
You're just another know nothing moron. Are all people in Cheshire this stupid or do you post under different names all the time. I think I know who this is.....and your personal life is a mess and most people think you're just a piece of trash. Keep getting those blood tests.
remy1

West Hartford, CT

#55 May 20, 2008
Jasper wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets be fair. Most of management are very nice caring people who work very hard. Some of the front line staff are lazy heartless ba$tards. I think the union is terrible. I never should have voted for 1199. They only care about the money.
Lets be honest and fair.

If nursing homes weren't unionized the average Medicaid rate would be about $150. CNAs would be earning close to minimum wage and wouldn't have affordable health insurance or pension benefits. These jobs wouldn't be jobs that attracted or retained quality staff. The base rates would be lower everywhere and the current non-union homes would reduce their standards because they wouldn't have to compete with the union homes to keep staff. Turnover would be horrendous and nurses would mostly be per diem without benefits.

Translating to very poor care for the residents. When staff stay the residents are better cared for, they receive care from familiar faces and develop trusting relationships with their caregivers. Their conditions are therefore better monitored. When you have per diems, temps, agency and lots of turnover the residents are unknown to the staff and vice versa, and residents' medical condition and needs aren't properly met.

Imagine you are in the hospital and every day you get moved to another floor with different staff members. Every day. After about a week you, as the patient, will feel that nobody knows what's going on with your care, from day to day and shift to shift. If nursing homes weren't unionized it would be that way every day of the year for those residents. Confusion. Turnover. Low wage jobs without decent benefits = less commitment.
Wilbur

Plainville, CT

#56 May 20, 2008
remy1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets be honest and fair.
If nursing homes weren't unionized the average Medicaid rate would be about $150. CNAs would be earning close to minimum wage and wouldn't have affordable health insurance or pension benefits. These jobs wouldn't be jobs that attracted or retained quality staff. The base rates would be lower everywhere and the current non-union homes would reduce their standards because they wouldn't have to compete with the union homes to keep staff. Turnover would be horrendous and nurses would mostly be per diem without benefits.
Translating to very poor care for the residents. When staff stay the residents are better cared for, they receive care from familiar faces and develop trusting relationships with their caregivers. Their conditions are therefore better monitored. When you have per diems, temps, agency and lots of turnover the residents are unknown to the staff and vice versa, and residents' medical condition and needs aren't properly met.
Imagine you are in the hospital and every day you get moved to another floor with different staff members. Every day. After about a week you, as the patient, will feel that nobody knows what's going on with your care, from day to day and shift to shift. If nursing homes weren't unionized it would be that way every day of the year for those residents. Confusion. Turnover. Low wage jobs without decent benefits = less commitment.
I respect your opinion, but disagree. Non-Union homes often pay as much as union homes. Competitive wages are a factor of market place pressures. Why is it that unionized homes have worse care than non-unionized homes? Because non-unionized workers who are paid based on performance provide better care.
Jacob

Plainville, CT

#57 May 20, 2008
Did anyone ever wonder ....
why is it pronounce conneticut when its spelled connect i cut....so we need an amendment to get rid of that middle "c". I also feel that the state abbreviation should be CN and not CT
dip shIT

Plainville, CT

#58 May 20, 2008
Jacob wrote:
Did anyone ever wonder ....
why is it pronounce conneticut when its spelled connect i cut....so we need an amendment to get rid of that middle "c". I also feel that the state abbreviation should be CN and not CT
Hi- Is the state dss giving all ct nursing homes increases this year or just the ones that are screwed up?
Horse Crap

Plainville, CT

#59 May 20, 2008
Wilbur wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just another know nothing moron. Are all people in Cheshire this stupid or do you post under different names all the time. I think I know who this is.....and your personal life is a mess and most people think you're just a piece of trash. Keep getting those blood tests.
Wilbur:

I brought my dog to the dump and he left a present for you.
Fat one

Plainville, CT

#60 May 20, 2008
remy1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets be honest and fair.
If nursing homes weren't unionized the average Medicaid rate would be about $150. CNAs would be earning close to minimum wage and wouldn't have affordable health insurance or pension benefits. These jobs wouldn't be jobs that attracted or retained quality staff. The base rates would be lower everywhere and the current non-union homes would reduce their standards because they wouldn't have to compete with the union homes to keep staff. Turnover would be horrendous and nurses would mostly be per diem without benefits.
Translating to very poor care for the residents. When staff stay the residents are better cared for, they receive care from familiar faces and develop trusting relationships with their caregivers. Their conditions are therefore better monitored. When you have per diems, temps, agency and lots of turnover the residents are unknown to the staff and vice versa, and residents' medical condition and needs aren't properly met.
Imagine you are in the hospital and every day you get moved to another floor with different staff members. Every day. After about a week you, as the patient, will feel that nobody knows what's going on with your care, from day to day and shift to shift. If nursing homes weren't unionized it would be that way every day of the year for those residents. Confusion. Turnover. Low wage jobs without decent benefits = less commitment.
Is report boy still at Haven?
General Tsaos Chicken

Plainville, CT

#61 May 20, 2008
remy1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets be honest and fair.
If nursing homes weren't unionized the average Medicaid rate would be about $150. CNAs would be earning close to minimum wage and wouldn't have affordable health insurance or pension benefits. These jobs wouldn't be jobs that attracted or retained quality staff. The base rates would be lower everywhere and the current non-union homes would reduce their standards because they wouldn't have to compete with the union homes to keep staff. Turnover would be horrendous and nurses would mostly be per diem without benefits.
Translating to very poor care for the residents. When staff stay the residents are better cared for, they receive care from familiar faces and develop trusting relationships with their caregivers. Their conditions are therefore better monitored. When you have per diems, temps, agency and lots of turnover the residents are unknown to the staff and vice versa, and residents' medical condition and needs aren't properly met.
Imagine you are in the hospital and every day you get moved to another floor with different staff members. Every day. After about a week you, as the patient, will feel that nobody knows what's going on with your care, from day to day and shift to shift. If nursing homes weren't unionized it would be that way every day of the year for those residents. Confusion. Turnover. Low wage jobs without decent benefits = less commitment.
Glad to see Remy's back in business. Let see who can guess the next Nursing Home to file chapter 11 or close?
Hip Hop Harry

Plainville, CT

#62 May 20, 2008
The Avenger wrote:
The upper management (including SOME administrators, not all) is a disgrace, I agree. But the front-line staff responsible for day-to-day resident care are caring, compassionate individuals who love the residents and do their very best. Get the management out of there, but leave the staff alone!
Does Martin Sbriglio still work for Haven?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Law Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Budget, then can go home, legislators say 2 hr Ledge Losers 1
News Over 50 and Looking for Love? New Dating Site f... (Dec '12) 3 hr Benson 43
News Abortion fight stalls Obama nominee Fri goonsquad 17
News California Fights To Allow Undocumented Immigra... Apr 27 ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 3
Has anyone heard of Pfizer's Chantix (Dec '06) Apr 24 medview 70,576
News Chaneys, clinic convicted in fraud scheme Apr 23 Power Play 2
News Judge Orders Louisiana to Continue Funding Plan... (Oct '15) Apr 22 private guy 62
More from around the web