Katz

Topeka, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2011

Congrats Shoreboy!!! I am 2 months smoke/nicotine free this coming Monday. Hasn't been easy but it's been worth it :o) I did not have a set quit date...quit after 3 weeks..smoked normally for week 1 then 1 a day in the middle of the day for the next 2 weeks then quit. You will know when the time is right and that makes it easier!! Good luck and keep coming back for more encouragement!!

“Freedom...NOPE”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2011

Hey new ones!!! NEVER turn loose of that quit!!!

Oldies & not so oldies....So glad you all have been here to help me & each other over the bumps!!!

Just hit me this morning that in EXACTLY one month from today I will be smokefree for FOUR YEARS...Seldom ever remember that I was a smoker & never wanting a smoke! Gosh does it STINK on somebody else!!!

Merry Christmas to all & a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Since: Oct 09

Isn't it grand!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2011

Merry Christmas to you Marge !!

Since: Dec 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2011

Hello I just started chantix this morning and want to thank you for all the posts...very motivating!! I just have one question...when do the dreams start?? I just want to be prepared. Thank you for your time!!

Since: May 07

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2011

bigjon0217 wrote:
Hello I just started chantix this morning and want to thank you for all the posts...very motivating!! I just have one question...when do the dreams start?? I just want to be prepared. Thank you for your time!!
I quit May 2007 and if I remember right it was about the second week on the pill when I had my first dream. The dreams feel very real, even as you wake up out of them you wonder if it is or is not real. The first dream I had was the one I remember the most, it was very gory, an execution scene in a field, like in a combat zone (no I have never been in combat). For all of you starting your quit I can tell you that today, some 4 1/2 years after my quit, it is the best health decision you will ever make and these days, I don't even think of cigarettes, or smoking in general. But when I see people smoking it does catch my eye, and I think "wow, that was me".

BTW, about 2 weeks into it my lungs got a bit congested and i had a hard time breathing. When I went to my Dr he said that was normal, basically the lungs are repairing themselves (cilia) and as they start growing (and filtering again) the lungs get sensitive to any smells, pollen, dusts, etc.

Way to go you quitters!!!!

Since: Oct 09

Isn't it grand!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2011

Bigjon..... I can't remember exactly when the dreams started, but they were in technicolor, very vivid and very realistic. None were disturbing to me, except when I woke up, it was "wow!!"

contratulations on your quit !! You are on your way to a better way of living. Keep reading and posting, because the support works !

Denton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2011

Well, here I am, with good news...I am now on my third smoke-free day...it's not the easiest thing I have ever attempted, but certainly not the hardest either, so to those following in my footsteps, keep that in mind...

Chantix is doing its job superbly...I have had zero nicotine cravings. The one thing it doesn't take care of is the habit of lighting up at certain times throughout the day, for that I have purchased an e-cigarette with the non-nicotine filter, and can water-vapor to my heart's content. I've also found that the inhalation of the water vapor has helped a lot with assisting the stuff that wants to forcefully exit from my lungs all day long...

So far I've had none of the side effects from Chantix, not one...maybe one good dream, but I wouldn't classify it as having been "vivid" in any way, just memorable....Still trying to figure out why Twisted Sister would be filming the video for "We're not gonna take it" this late in the game, and why do it in a chicken-house on the eastern shore of MD? Otherwise though, no depression, or abnormal moods, no constipation, no nausea, actually if anything Chantix has had just the opposite effects on me. I'm always in a happy mood, and feel better now than I have in a long time...

I hope everyone here had a very Merry Christmas, and that you all have a wonderful New Year!

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2011

Judged:

shoreboy31 wrote:
The one thing it doesn't take care of is the habit of lighting up at certain times throughout the day, for that I have purchased an e-cigarette with the non-nicotine filter, and can water-vapor to my heart's content. I've also found that the inhalation of the water vapor has helped a lot with assisting the stuff that wants to forcefully exit from my lungs all day long...
Great job Shore boy, I take it you live in DelMarVa? The lighting up thoughts at certain times of day are mental not physical, I had the same. The problem is when we smoked we conditioned our bodies so well for the habit. The biggest fight, mentally was my 1000 am cigarette. It just did not make any sense that I was not out there on the smoke area at work, at that time. So what I did in the beginning is just walk out there and talk instead of smoke. That's when they would ask me if the smell was making me want to smoke....all of this passes with time.

As to the e-cigarettes, I don't know much about them but I suggest you transfer the habit (of self-medicating with nicotine to increase Dopamine in your brain) when you use that e-cigarette.

So my advice is stop self-medicating altogether. But your quit is your quit. So you and your Dr can give you your own best advice.

“My Tradestation”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2011

Judged:

shoreboy31 wrote:
Well, here I am, with good news...I am now on my third smoke-free day...it's not the easiest thing I have ever attempted, but certainly not the hardest either, so to those following in my footsteps, keep that in mind...
Chantix is doing its job superbly...I have had zero nicotine cravings. The one thing it doesn't take care of is the habit of lighting up at certain times throughout the day, for that I have purchased an e-cigarette with the non-nicotine filter, and can water-vapor to my heart's content. I've also found that the inhalation of the water vapor has helped a lot with assisting the stuff that wants to forcefully exit from my lungs all day long...
So far I've had none of the side effects from Chantix, not one...maybe one good dream, but I wouldn't classify it as having been "vivid" in any way, just memorable....Still trying to figure out why Twisted Sister would be filming the video for "We're not gonna take it" this late in the game, and why do it in a chicken-house on the eastern shore of MD? Otherwise though, no depression, or abnormal moods, no constipation, no nausea, actually if anything Chantix has had just the opposite effects on me. I'm always in a happy mood, and feel better now than I have in a long time...
I hope everyone here had a very Merry Christmas, and that you all have a wonderful New Year!
Chantix kills the crave so that YOU can break the physical habit, not replace it with another one. That's the whole purpose of it! I always satisfied that part by "faking" a smoke, including the big inhalation and then "blowing out the smoke" even though there was none. After a few weeks that habit was also broken and I was done with Chantix (but I did wean off it over a 2-3 week period)
That was back in June 2008 (yes 3 1/2 years ago!) and I had smoked for 37 years.
IMO you'd be better off without that crutch.

Good Luck!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

Well I had my last "smoke" a few hours ago...I do still wanna go out and have one but that's the habit part (that last cig before bed)....wish me luck!!

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

bigjon0217 wrote:
Well I had my last "smoke" a few hours ago...I do still wanna go out and have one but that's the habit part (that last cig before bed)....wish me luck!!
On the last smoke, did it feel like it was doing anything for you, or was it just an exercise?

Denton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

1Americandude,

Yeah that was the part that worried me as well...replacing one habit with another which so closely resembled the one I was trying to break.

So...proud to report, I'm on quit day 8...E-cigarette is now a thing of the past, coughing spells have definitely increased almost tenfold...expecting to see my toes come out during one soon...lol...but, breathing is definitely easier every day.

I just got home from the store, and while waiting at the checkout I saw a lady smoking outside, and realized that just a week ago that was me...standing in the cold, puffing away, because I was a prisoner to that little stick in between my fingers...I finally got that "breaking free" feeling today when I saw that....you know, the one a real prisoner must feel the first time he sees light through the little hole under the bed he's been chiseling on for a year...

“Freedom...NOPE”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

Judged:

BigJon...Not as bad as jumping off a cliff without water below is it....How are you doing now? Just keep it up...I remember how long those first days, hours, minutes were at first! Water & nonfattening snacks.

Shoreboy...Huge quit!! Plenty to drink will help get rid of that junk... My water bottle with REALLY cold water became my replacement for a while!

Just remember reward yourself, reward yourself, reward yourself!!!! Every small step counts.

Denton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

Well....had a little setback last night...My girlfriend decided we should "take a break" for a while...was really stressed out and took 2 puffs from her cigarette...I feel guilty, yet at the same time relieved that I was able to take those two and realize how nasty those things actually taste...I nearly choked, and it took me hours to get the taste out of my mouth...is that the same stuff I was putting in my mouth for 20 years? Seems so different when you have a new perspective on it!

Still a little stressed now, however the urges have passed and it's back to normal on the quit...emotionally I am still kind of a wreck though...lol
LadyMac

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

Happy New Year to all the quitters! And a slightly early happy reunion day! Enjoy a fun, healthy and smoke free 2012

“My Tradestation”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

Judged:

shoreboy31 wrote:
Well....had a little setback last night...My girlfriend decided we should "take a break" for a while...was really stressed out and took 2 puffs from her cigarette...I feel guilty, yet at the same time relieved that I was able to take those two and realize how nasty those things actually taste...I nearly choked, and it took me hours to get the taste out of my mouth...is that the same stuff I was putting in my mouth for 20 years? Seems so different when you have a new perspective on it!
Still a little stressed now, however the urges have passed and it's back to normal on the quit...emotionally I am still kind of a wreck though...lol
shoreboy, don't worry or guilt out too much over the little slip up...but do learn from it! While you're on the drug it won't "do anything for you" anyway. If you slip up after the drug however that's a different matter. But I'm sure you won't let that happen again.

Feeling liberated is great, huh? When was the last time you left the house without worrying if you had your smokes with you, or enough to last? What about that extra 40 bucks a week (at least where I am when I quit). How much do those things cost these days anyway?
Here's a strange feeling...it feels like I never smoked at all now. I smoked em for 37 years and now I can see it smell it, walk through it and it doesn't phase me at all. What a feeling of accomplishment I have! It must be similar to a severely obese person who decided to get to a normal weight and accomplished it. Maybe the biggest personal accomplishment I've ever had...(of course I broke the rules and lost a little weight when I quit too, only 10 lbs but that's better than gaining!
You'll be there soon, the time will fly!
Congrats and good luck!

(remember to "fake it" with good air..it works!)

Denton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah it is a great feeling to be liberated, and starting off a new year with a whole new outlook....Although everytime I get ready to leave the house it does still feel like I'm forgetting something...I'll stop and look around the room trying to figure out what it is, and then I realize and just leave, shaking my head all the way out the door...

I live in MD and they run 6.88 a pack for the Camel Wides I used to smoke...lol...sounds funny hearing myself say "used to smoke" guess I can't quite get accustomed to that yet...

I feel great already except for the incessant cough, which I know will go away soo...(I hope)...I actually went out and played catch with my gf's son without getting winded, that's something I can barely remember the last time it happened...guessing Navy boot camp in '91 before I started smoking...lol

I hope everyone has a wonderful new year...2012 looks to be either a great year, or the final year, whichever side you choose to believe, so just in case it is the last...LIVE IT UP EVERYONE!!...

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

Shoreboy, believe it when I say one of these days you will have a dream that you started smoking again and it will wake you right out of your dream. The last dream I had like that my lungs felt so terrible, as if I had been smoking again for weeks. That slip up is a taste of the smoking you, which you wanted to get away from. The coughing is the clearing up of the crap in your lungs for so many years. The lungs don't know what to do with all that pure air so the scilia that burned off in there are starting to grow again. You are probably going to start wheezing for a week or so, go to the Dr and see about getting an inhaler to pull you through it. Just keep up the positive attitude and you WILL make it.

“Freedom...NOPE”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

Judged:

REUNION DAY!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR....Being smokefree is HUGE....Such a better world!!!!

LadyMac...So good to see you...check in more often! One of these days I plan to go to Modesto...When I go there I'll think of all you CA people :-)

Great to see veterans helping the new quitters...we all know how much support means. Not sure if I'd been successful without it. Thank you friends for being here!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

Well last night I rang in the new year at the local pub...and didn't smoke at all and didn't even have the urge!! I am now nicotine free for almost 3 days

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••